HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/Chi proposal

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Iggy-4-50

vCash: 500
Edm/Chi proposal

To the Oilers:
Tyler Arnason,Kyle Calder and Nathan Dempsey

To the Blackhawks:
Mike Comrie,Brad Isbister and Eric Brewer
Feel free to say i'm out to lunch...but Comrie's stock is falling fast.

Thoughts?

Old
09-28-2003, 09:59 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
To the Oilers:

To the Blackhawks:
Terrible.

Comrie >> Arnason
Isbister = Calder
Brewer >>>>> Dempsey

Why the hell would the Oilers do this?

Old
09-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
To the Oilers:

To the Blackhawks:

Thoughts?
The only thing falling fast is your reputation as a trade poster.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:03 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
chicago just farted on edmonton

Old
09-28-2003, 10:09 PM
FacelessButcher

Replace Calder with Tuomo Ruutu and I'll think about it

Old
09-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Iggy-4-50

I admit if Comrie was a "playing" Oiler it would be a Chi win,but if the rumors of him asking for a trade are true it lowers his value big time.

I personly would take Calder over Brad (the soft one) Isbister anytime and Brewer is not playing the way most felt he would 2 years ago,i don't know a whole lot about Dempsey except that the writers seem to like him and Arnason has a lot of future upside.

I think this trade could be equal if you take into fact that every GM will try and steal Comrie if they know he's done in Edmonton...if thats the case!

Old
09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
I admit if Comrie was a "playing" Oiler it would be a Chi win,but if the rumors of him asking for a trade are true it lowers his value big time.
it doesn't warrant throwing in an olympian...

isbister, he did play physical as an oiler, and seemed to *enjoy* playing as an oiler.. it's just common sense that isbister won't be moved unless some team pays a retarded price...

as for dempsey, he's fine, a good little defenseman, but he doesn't hold much trade value.. and surely not enough to land either comrie or brewer or even isbister.. perhaps in a package offer where it isn't 3 for 3..

calder of course would be of interest.. so that IMO would be the simplest place to start, break it down to comrie and calder and go from there...

Old
09-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Iggy-4-50

Well...i guess i'm out to lunch then
Quote:
it doesn't warrant throwing in an olympian...
Hmmm,Fleury was an olympian too! seriously though,i personly think Brewer is a little overrated,he hasn't shown much since the olympics IMO.

Old
09-28-2003, 10:40 PM
andora

you're absolutely correct.. he did play awful.. horrid in fact for stretches.. however.. he's still what?.. 24.. huge, mobile, all the tools, and still contains loads of potential.. we KNOW he is olympian good, and that is at an age where players of his calibre still have potential.. that kind of package isn't traded away and being replaced by a player like nathan dempsey.. it just isn't...

the other parts of the deal cancel out basically so that one for one is very very ugly long term moreso then short-term

Old
09-29-2003, 12:42 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Good to see...

This post is nothing more than a compilation of names mentioned in the other Hawks/Oilers trade proposal thread with the addition of Eric Brewer.

This trade doesn't work for a number of reasons. Brewer is NOT going anywhere anytime soon so leave him out of proposals. Comrie is better than Arnason and we prefer Calder but not at the price of Isbister who we just brought in at the deadline. Izzy will play a prominent role off the start of the year in Edmonton. Now that Moreau has signed long term you can probably leave his name out of future rumors so my call would be.

To Chicago: Comrie, Scott Ferguson, and Jason Chimera

To Edmonton: Kyle Calder, Nathan Demsey, and a 2nd rounder

As an Oiler fan i sitll think Chicago gets by far the best of us in this deal but this is the only way i can see the deal going through. The value is at least closer than this original proposal!!!

Old
09-29-2003, 01:39 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
thats so funny, that you added brewer at all, take out Brewer and I feel its fair, but Lowe wouldn't trade Isbister at all right now

Old
09-29-2003, 03:57 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
To the Oilers:

To the Blackhawks:

Thoughts?
You're out to lunch. This deal bends the Oilers over and is not close to being fair, because you added in Brewer. Take out Brewer and Dempsey and you have a deal that is close to fair because of the depressed value, and potential upside, of the players in question. Unfortunately the deal just isn't a good fit for the Oilers as any deal they make will require them getting a defenseman back IMO to improve the largest area of weakness on the team.

I agree with you that Comrie's value is dropping like a stone. He will be a tough sell to another team, especially unsigned. He's small and isn't good defensively. He tries to play a game that his frame can't handle IMO and he needs to curb that to be successful. The big killer is his contract. Lowe was an idiot to succumb to the pressure and give the guy a contract that paid out bonuses so easily ($100K for tying his own skates, a $500K for wearing his jersey the right way around, etc.) and allowing a player of Comrie's ilk to make $4.5 million last year. That's the starting point for negotiations. Someone that is serious about signing this guy is going to have to find a way to structure a deal so that Comrie has a pretty good possibility of making the same, or the agents expectation will be more, than he did last season. Who is going to take on a player like Comrie for those dollars, AND give up something of value.

I think that Arnason is a pretty good return for Comrie. I think Comrie is the better offensive player, but Arnason is better at both ends of the ice. They're both smallish centers so size is a wash. They're a year apart in age so no one will be able to whine about upside or other crap like that. Comrie may indeed be able to put up better numbers on the score sheet, but I think Arnason is better on both sides of the puck (a +7 on the Hawks last year, WOW!) and that has more value to a team. Add in the contract difference and I think that Arnason would be more attractive to most teams than Comrie at this point.

Calder for Isbister would also be a pretty fair swap, with Edmonton getting the better of the deal in the long term. The one thing that inflates Brad Isbister's worth is his size. He's a big guy and that is valueable to teams, especially ones like Edmonton that are a little on the small side. Unfortunately Isbister doesn't use his size much and that kind of negates that value for the most part. Calder is a young guy who is a work in progress. I think he'll likely be a really good third liner, or a quasi second liner, and be a solid two way guy. He'll bring some grit to the table but won't be a poer guy by any stretch. He'll likely chip in 15-20 goals regularly and might even find his scoring touch to hit 25. Essentially he is Brad Isbister with some upside. It all depends on how happy you are with the inconsistency that Isbister has in his game and whether you want a smaller and more consistent player in your lineup.

Personally, if I were the Oiler's GM, I wouldn't make this deal either. I think they are getting two players that are very good replacements for what they lose, but they really don't fill a need on my team. If I were looking to Chicago for a deal I would want a defenseman back. I would make this deal:

Comrie and Rita for Arnason and McCarthy.

Works for both teams IMO. Value for value, and no whining about potential left on the table.

Old
09-29-2003, 06:32 PM
dougd

Comrie and Rita for Arnason and McCarthy

Lanny, we're on the same page except I had a 4th going to EDM as well.

Rita for some reasoner....ok, just trying to be funny,is not at the level of progress i believe everyone thought he would be (let's, as a Hawk fan,hope Ruutu doesn't suffer the same curve) but I believe a move to CHI and to link up with his fellow country man would be very good for him.
Next, Hagman on LW would be another acquisition M Smith should look at even though Niklas hasn't and might ever show much finish....

Old
09-29-2003, 06:45 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd
Comrie and Rita for Arnason and McCarthy

Lanny, we're on the same page except I had a 4th going to EDM as well.

Rita for some reasoner....ok, just trying to be funny,is not at the level of progress i believe everyone thought he would be (let's, as a Hawk fan,hope Ruutu doesn't suffer the same curve) but I believe a move to CHI and to link up with his fellow country man would be very good for him.
Next, Hagman on LW would be another acquisition M Smith should look at even though Niklas hasn't and might ever show much finish....
country man? Yes they are both fins but Oilers constantly draft Fins when we see players of relatively equal value and can't decide who to pick the Oil usually go:
Edmonton>Alberta>Western Canada >Finns>Eastern Canada>everyone else . Many hockey teams have tendancys to draft certain ethinicitys of people when presented with equal choices for example Edmonton=Finland Toronto=Sweden Chicago=Russians

Old
09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd
Niklas hasn't and might ever show much finish....
Your first pun with Reasoner wasn't too great but the Niklas one got a chuckle from me, even if it was by accident.. In all honesty, I'd still have to consider even moving just Brewer for the package listed above.. you terribly under-rate Brewer in my opinion T@T.. the Leafers were at least offering us Tucker for him!

Old
09-29-2003, 07:52 PM
dougd

Lumber is one of the main industries that drive the finish economy. Is that axeidental also. Geez, I'm getting worse!!
Maybe I'm not a very good scout but I just can't believe why Niklas Hagman who in my opinion is one of the hardest workers around would be so supposedly available. I thought Keenan would have room anytime for one of these type players.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Stuy

That is so one sided it's not even funny.