HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2014, 03:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I agree re:Alt. Nothing against MAB and I'm glad he's made it back, but there is some wisdom to seeing how Alt looks before you approach a critical free agency period this offseason.
Throwing MAB into the fire that is the Philadelphia Flyers right now would be a disaster. He didn't have much NHL experience under his belt prior to the injury & just sat out a full year. He needs the year down there to regain his form again. Depending on how he does down there decide whether or not you want him in camp next year & then take it from there as far his career playing with the Flyers is concerned.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Would I be crazy in saying that I think we should take a chance and bring up Alt next season instead of signing Girardi? Maybe even Ghost instead of Niskanen?

Old
01-26-2014, 03:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Would I be crazy in saying that I think we should take a chance and bring up Alt next season instead of signing Girardi? Maybe even Ghost instead of Niskanen?
I dont know if you can go into a season unless you are 100% confident Alt can step into a top 4 role, which even has a big fan of his, I'm not. I'd like to see him play next to a vet and learn. My person beleif is Ghost goes back to college, but I do think he will have a chance of playing in the NHL next season. The two games I have seen him play, you can tell why he is in the discussion as best NCAA player. Dont know if you role in next season with 2 rookies. My ideal way would be either one of Ghost or Alt (preferably Alt since I want Ghost to get some training in the AHL) hopes in, they keep 2-3 of the current defenders and bring in some new defender blood. Sign the new guys to 2-3 year deals and slowly but surely bring in Ghost/Morin/Hagg. Dont know if they all will work out (most likely not) but you can bring them up and see how they do in the AHL first.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I would pass on Girardi because the price he'll likely recieve but Niskanen could be someone to look at. He's pretty solid & you wouldn't have to break the bank for him.

I would prefer to put veterans in the lineup over you kids unless they absolutely force you to do otherwise. Alt at least has a year of pro experience under his belt in his favor so who knows.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:26 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
depends on the price. Girardi is going to be sought after by many teams if he hits the open market. I really dont know how I feel about Niskanen. Has he really been that good or has he been a product of the team he is on.
Of course letting some of these high priced defenseman go and playing the kids instead would go against everything Holmgren has done in the past.
With Snider and Holmgren if you arent spending to within a penny of the cap you arent trying.

EDIT: Of course, I am not against spending in FA I just dont want to get into bidding wars. they need to be responsible and make some good decisions in FA this summer.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Hasn't it been the trend that most NHL players don't finish the 4 years? They'll usually go 3 years and then go into the NHL?

Plus, it's not necessarily the idea of being top 4 for Alt, but I'm thinking more the idea of adding both of these guys would improve our skating and help solidify our defense. At this point, I'd kill for a solid, cohesive defense with good outlet passes.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Hasn't it been the trend that most NHL players don't finish the 4 years? They'll usually go 3 years and then go into the NHL?

Plus, it's not necessarily the idea of being top 4 for Alt, but I'm thinking more the idea of adding both of these guys would improve our skating and help solidify our defense. At this point, I'd kill for a solid, cohesive defense with good outlet passes.
My belief for Ghost is when I'm talking to the Union beat guy and a guy who covers RPI hockey when talking to them they both think, based off of Ghost's body language, he does want to go back. Now I could be wrong, and not saying I have sources or anything, but I am leaning he does go back. This is not counting the Flyers going to Ghost, saying he has a chance to make the Flyers or they want him to turn pro now. Thats a different story. Either way I like the way Ghost is progressing. Each season he gets better and better.

I can understand your reasoning for the Alt and Ghost. I dont see too many teams role with two rookie defenders though, especially if they want to contend.

Old
01-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
My belief for Ghost is when I'm talking to the Union beat guy and a guy who covers RPI hockey when talking to them they both think, based off of Ghost's body language, he does want to go back. Now I could be wrong, and not saying I have sources or anything, but I am leaning he does go back. This is not counting the Flyers going to Ghost, saying he has a chance to make the Flyers or they want him to turn pro now. Thats a different story. Either way I like the way Ghost is progressing. Each season he gets better and better.

I can understand your reasoning for the Alt and Ghost. I dont see too many teams role with two rookie defenders though, especially if they want to contend.
It could be because I don't follow the Baby Flyers enough, but why is Mark Alt even being considered for top 4 minutes next season?

Old
01-26-2014, 04:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
It could be because I don't follow the Baby Flyers enough, but why is Mark Alt even being considered for top 4 minutes next season?
would rather let the kids play on the bottom pair provided they can play over a veteran making 4 million plus. But I doubt the front office agrees.

Old
01-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Curufinwe

Alt should get a chance as a #6, but we desperately need the lockout season LSchenn back as a top 4 guy again. The one who played 22 minutes a night and was generally solid as a rock. I don't know where that guy went but we need him back.

Old
01-26-2014, 04:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Alt should get a chance as a #6, but we desperately need the lockout season LSchenn back as a top 4 guy again. The one who played 22 minutes a night and was generally solid as a rock. I don't know where that guy went but we need him back.
Get Schenn and Couts to both work on their skating (conditioning) in the off-season and they should be better. Schenn does have moves, a decent point shot with a wrister and has a decent outlet pass.

Old
01-26-2014, 04:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
I wouldnt say top 4, but just based off how he has played in the AHL I'd take a look at a 5-6 position. Alt has really taken some good strides this season in the AHL. He has really worked hard to improve his positioning and first step. Every time he is on the ice he looks good. Dont know if he is even an NHL defender, but based off of his play I would say he should get an NHL shot. He has been good.

Old
01-26-2014, 04:33 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

lost again to Hartford at home.
what the hell

Old
01-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Get Schenn and Couts to both work on their skating (conditioning) in the off-season and they should be better. Schenn does have moves, a decent point shot with a wrister and has a decent outlet pass.
I don't think it's any coincidence that as soon as he was put with Mez he started looking much worse and the second Gus is back he has his best game in weeks.

Old
01-26-2014, 05:54 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't think it's any coincidence that as soon as he was put with Mez he started looking much worse and the second Gus is back he has his best game in weeks.
Yea you are hearing a lot of the players talking about not doing too much. I think it has a lot to do with people forcing the play and not relying on one another. I think it also has to do with people making up for other people faults. Schenn looked great last game. I would imagine he doesn't lift at all this offseason and just runs and swims a lot

Old
01-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
It was very apparent... that pair had no **** ups all game... seemingly as they never got trapped in the zone or caught in the neutral zone for an odd man rush... the two ways most ES goals happen.

Old
01-26-2014, 06:01 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea you are hearing a lot of the players talking about not doing too much. I think it has a lot to do with people forcing the play and not relying on one another. I think it also has to do with people making up for other people faults. Schenn looked great last game. I would imagine he doesn't lift at all this offseason and just runs and swims a lot
I'd have him doing a friggin 20 length pyramid every day after this season! 2 lengths then a 15-20 second break, then 4 lengths and a 15-20 second break, 6 lengths... etc etc etc up to 20... then back down again.

5k like that gets your cardio to perfection in two weeks. You walk around feeling like you are on a cloud.

Old
01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I'd have him doing a friggin 20 length pyramid every day after this season! 2 lengths then a 15-20 second break, then 4 lengths and a 15-20 second break, 6 lengths... etc etc etc up to 20... then back down again.

5k like that gets your cardio to perfection in two weeks. You walk around feeling like you are on a cloud.
Haha if all he needs is two weeks he can get going during the break. But I was saying more for a debulking thing. If all we ever saw was this years scheen of be worried but he played amazing last year towards the end and really well the rest of the time. I think we just need to be patient and let him and the staff work on it. I thinking benching him earlier in the year when he was really not bad at all was a horrible roster move by berube. One of many.

Old
01-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
It was very apparent... that pair had no **** ups all game... seemingly as they never got trapped in the zone or caught in the neutral zone for an odd man rush... the two ways most ES goals happen.
Exactly, the only way they really could have been better was putting up some points, but even then Gus had some really good plays in the offensive zone.

Unfortunately he's probably going to get benched because of Grossmanns horrible play... because y'know, accountability...

Old
01-26-2014, 07:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
This is right on the dot about Schenn. Every year of his workouts, he bulks up. He doesn't need to bulk up anymore. He needs to be more fleet of foot and if he loses about 15 to 20 pounds (keep him in the 210 to 215 range), he'll be much better for it.

As for Mark Alt playing on the big club next year, I'm all for it. He's been a rock in Adirondack for Terry Murray and he's a very smart player. It's very possible that he could start in a 3rd pairing role and work his way up to a top 4 playing spot. He might not ever be a top pairing defender, but it's very possible he could turn out to be a 3 or a 4.

Old
01-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Broad Street Elite

I said this in one of the trade threads, but with this defense, we need to take a step back before we can take a step forward.

1. We need to move Grossmann out. I'm not saying that because he's been bad of late, because I still think he's a valuable player in the right system. Right now, Schenn and Grossmann shouldn't be in the same defensive core with their footspeed (and Timmo's) and combined with their inability to generate offense (along with Coburn).

2. I'm definitely letting Mez walk (obviously)

3. I'm seriously considering one of Gostisbehere or Morin earn a shot next year under 2 conditions. First, they continue to progress this season and into the offseason. Second, I have a degree of confidence that the NHL wouldn't hurt them. I personally believe Gostisbehere could step into the a 6th defenseman spot on this team today.

4. I probably let Timonen walk, not because he isn't still good enough, but we have got to finish the overhaul and Timonen isn't part of the next Flyers Cup team. I would probably agree with bringing in a reasonable player to transition us until we are ready to build another of the prospects into the roster, ideally a Niskanen or Nikitin, but I suppose a defensively sound player like Orpik. Orpik, for example, might be a great guy to pair with a rookie like Gostisbehere if he were to get the chance.

Old
01-26-2014, 07:52 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This is right on the dot about Schenn. Every year of his workouts, he bulks up. He doesn't need to bulk up anymore. He needs to be more fleet of foot and if he loses about 15 to 20 pounds (keep him in the 210 to 215 range), he'll be much better for it.

As for Mark Alt playing on the big club next year, I'm all for it. He's been a rock in Adirondack for Terry Murray and he's a very smart player. It's very possible that he could start in a 3rd pairing role and work his way up to a top 4 playing spot. He might not ever be a top pairing defender, but it's very possible he could turn out to be a 3 or a 4.
Yea he's too short for his weight. He will be much better served with some mobility. Not a number one guy but def top 4

Old
01-26-2014, 07:57 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
I said this in one of the trade threads, but with this defense, we need to take a step back before we can take a step forward.

1. We need to move Grossmann out. I'm not saying that because he's been bad of late, because I still think he's a valuable player in the right system. Right now, Schenn and Grossmann shouldn't be in the same defensive core with their footspeed (and Timmo's) and combined with their inability to generate offense (along with Coburn).

3. I'm seriously considering one of Gostisbehere or Morin earn a shot next year under 2 conditions. First, they continue to progress this season and into the offseason. Second, I have a degree of confidence that the NHL wouldn't hurt them. I personally believe Gostisbehere could step into the a 6th defenseman spot on this team today.

4. I probably let Timonen walk, not because he isn't still good enough, but we have got to finish the overhaul and Timonen isn't part of the next Flyers Cup team. I would probably agree with bringing in a reasonable player to transition us until we are ready to build another of the prospects into the roster, ideally a Niskanen or Nikitin, but I suppose a defensively sound player like Orpik. Orpik, for example, might be a great guy to pair with a rookie like Gostisbehere if he were to get the chance.
I'm thinking we keep Grossmann as a bottom pair guy. He is a good dman just not last game and not meant to be higher than 5th.

I'd like to give ghost a look and give morin another year.

Definitely should go after nikitin but only at a good cost. Not doing anymore huge long contracts to people that are past primes.

Old
01-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

I Agree with some of this. Having Schenn and Grossman is a bit redundant. Especially when we don't have the right dmen to pair with them.

I see us next year with a top 4 like this

Streit Schenn
Grossman Coburn

Right now that is not good enough. This is why i don't see Coburn going anywhere because he is so important to this team.

I really don't see Morin or Ghost playing next year. They are simply not ready to handle the nhl physically. You let them play next year and they will get injured further stunting their development.

I think Kimmo is a trade candidate this year and Boston would be a great destination for him. Maybe Kimmo for Joe Morrow?

Old
01-26-2014, 08:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think Kimmo is a trade candidate this year and Boston would be a great destination for him. Maybe Kimmo for Joe Morrow?
I agree with this line of thinking if they were to trade Timonen. I know first rounders are the bees knees around here but getting a late first round in this draft isn't anything special. If it's on the table I much rather take the prospect who's already has pro experience under his belt opposed to that.

Closed Thread