HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Glasses and Contacts and Surgery, oh my....

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2005, 01:32 PM
MikeS

vCash: 500
Glasses and Contacts and Surgery, oh my....

I wear glasses, but hate playing with them. I even bought a pair of sports glasses but they fog up so bad, no matter what I spray on them. So I have gone back to my street glasses, which don't fog when sprayed with anti-fog solution. Problem is, they move around, especially if I get hit. I am constantly having to adjust them.

I am considering contact lenses, as laser surgery is spendy. Any four-eyes out there have a solution or an opinion?

Thanks!

Old
04-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I used to play with my glasses but now I play with contacts and it's alot better. You don't have to worry about breaking your glasses also if you have contacts.

Old
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
RedLightDistrict

go with soft contacts. there is no downside to them, as long as you blink once or twice a minute

Old
04-24-2005, 01:49 PM
futurcorerock

Contacts or surgery are the way to go. I play with contacts, but with all extrenuating physical activity, blood flow increases to my eye and theres need for the eye to "breathe" --which doesnt occur, so after a game I look like I had been crying the entire game... or stoned

I've gotten both remarks

Old
04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
go with contacts for now...but SAVE up for LASIK surgery. I had my eyes done 2 years ago. The best money i ever spent on anything in my life !

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Dr GLU

I play with contacts but wear glasses otherwise. It takes a little getting used to if you're not used to wearing contacts (especially putting them in), but it makes it much easier to play.

Old
04-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Mackee

I too, play with contacts. Best advantage (especially for a goalie like myself), is that your peripheral vision no longer is a hindurance as it can be while wearing glasses.

The disadvantage of course, is that once sweat gets in your eyes, it stings like a mother. Best solution for that is to wear a bandanna or something like that underneath your helmet/mask.

Old
04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
nic29+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
go with contacts for now...but SAVE up for LASIK surgery. I had my eyes done 2 years ago. The best money i ever spent on anything in my life !
That's good to hear. My little brother is going on wednesday to have this surgery done. In Canada it costs $2950.00 not sure what it costs in the states.
I also have a friend who had it done and he had pop bottle glasses. He swears by it.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Murphy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
I wear glasses, but hate playing with them. I even bought a pair of sports glasses but they fog up so bad, no matter what I spray on them. So I have gone back to my street glasses, which don't fog when sprayed with anti-fog solution. Problem is, they move around, especially if I get hit. I am constantly having to adjust them.

I am considering contact lenses, as laser surgery is spendy. Any four-eyes out there have a solution or an opinion?

Thanks!
This is funny because in The Ottawa Citizen today there was an editorial saying that laser surgery was the equivalent of using steroids. I just read the editorials to have my blood boil.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I've been wearing contacts for 7 years and the difference is dramatic. I think my peripheral vision even increased! Although better than glasses there are a few drawbacks. I get really dry eyes and sensitivity to light. They also tend to roll up into my eylids if I somehow get bumped in the eye.

I tried to get laser eye surgury but I am not a good candidate because apparently I have enormous pupils. The Dr. says technology will probably be good enough to do it in 6-18 months... so I guess I'll try then.

Since laser eye IS a bit pricey and not even a certain thing, as I found out, I highly recommend contact lenses. I buy mine for a fair price at Shoppers Optical and a friend of mine gets a different brand for even cheaper at Wal-Mart...yes Wal-Mart.

I'd say go for it... Just like you I found glasses to be a pain in the butt. Contacts were not only less distracting in game actions but I truly believe they give superior vision on the ice.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:41 PM
DJmastamind

I've been using contact while playing as long as I can remember. The other drawback is if sweat gets into my eyes it burns like no other.

Old
04-25-2005, 02:43 PM
mydnyte

got lasered for $499/eye never been happier. ...save up, it's worth it if you're a candidate!!

Old
04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
roast

I got drilled in the eye with a slapshot 2 years ago with my glasses still on...not a pleasant experience. The frames bent in half and the puck bust through the lens and into my eye. I now do not wear glasses or contacts. If anything it keeps me more defensively minded so i'm not always trying to rush...mainly because i can only see decent to the redline.

Old
04-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I can't imagine playing any sport more active than golf with glasses on. I tried skating on an outdoor rink with glasses, and i kept loosing the puck in my skates.

Old
05-18-2005, 01:22 AM
MikeS

Just played tonight for the first time in contacts... What a difference!
No problems whatsoever. Saw the puck well, no fogging to worry about. No sweat burning my eyes...

I can't believe I fumbled with glasses for so damned long.

Thanks for the advice

Old
06-08-2005, 12:46 AM
expensivedirt

@_@

I play with glasses and its great for me, doesnt wiggle even when i swing my head hard, fits snuggly in my mask and allows me perfect vision.

Old
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Big warning for laser surgery, do NOT get it until your eyes are fully developed (i.e. around age 21-22).

Old
07-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Masao

Also, read this:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/risks.htm

Old
07-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Sergei Zubov

Ever heard about Orthokeratology?

http://www.befreenow.net/

http://pierrebannon.net/gborthok.htm
http://pierrebannon.net/gbfaq.htm

Old
07-15-2005, 08:11 AM
canadahockeygirl*

Most doctors won't let you get the surgery until your eyes have stopped changing.

I'm 25 now, have been playing with contacts since I was 13, never had any probelems with them. A few months ago I tore one in the locker room and had to play net with my glasses on since I didn't have contacts and am fairly blind. I was lit up for around 10 goals-- and all of them came from the "peripheral vision" areas where I couldn't see the puck.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Magnus Fulgur

I play with glasses, no problems. Just give 'em a finger wipe on the bench and wear a cage.

Closed Thread