HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals XV: MacT Throw Us a Friggin Bone Here!

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2013, 02:33 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Still think trading the 1st is a mistake. The chance you get an opportunity to draft a 1b C, or a 1D you take it because you'll never get either in a trade. Both of which are a necessity for this team, long term. Who is a 2C we're going to pick up this off season? Who is a top pairing Dman? We need to have success with UFAs and wait for development. Sad but true.

Signing a Dman like Phaneuf, Markov or Boyle is imperative. We need more decent vets.
Keep drafting in the top 10 and by the time the 2014 pick is ready to make an impact you will be looking for replacements for hall, RNH and eberle.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:33 PM
McGhostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

vCash: 50
Gagner for Gardiner makes wayyyyyyy too much sense for both sides right now.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:34 PM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post

That team would dominate our current team physically
yes, the only problem is none of those trades will ever happen.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:35 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Keep drafting in the top 10 and by the time the 2014 pick is ready to make an impact you will be looking for replacements for hall, RNH and eberle.
By the time we find a good Dman who is willing to come to Edmonton it will take the same amount of time. We have other assets to deal and the depth of this org is pitiful. This org can't afford to give away picks unless its a spectacular deal. We have almost nothing in the system. Maybe a bit different if we drafted Murray and Nurse instead of Yak and Nurse.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:37 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Gagner for Gardiner makes wayyyyyyy too much sense for both sides right now.
Would be a good trade, I'd add a Dman to Gagner like Gernat or Marincin if necessary.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Oilers Apologist

vCash: 765
Seen both Philly and Edmonton fans suggesting Hemsky for Hartnell. Ya, Hartnell doesn't have a great contract, but we did put up with Hemsky's bad contract for a long time, and with the cap going up as well this is a no brainer.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Yak
Hartnell-Arco-Joensuu
Gazdic-Gordon-Smyth
Jones

Once we move Gagner we'll have a pretty solid group of forwards...

Old
12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Oilers Apologist

Quote:
Would be a good trade, I'd add a Dman to Gagner like Gernat or Marincin if necessary.
I'd throw in Gernat or Davidson but not Marincin. He's a far better prospect than those two.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
By the time we find a good Dman who is willing to come to Edmonton it will take the same amount of time. We have other assets to deal and the depth of this org is pitiful. This org can't afford to give away picks unless its a spectacular deal. We have almost nothing in the system. Maybe a bit different if we drafted Murray and Nurse instead of Yak and Nurse.
Why can't we afford to give picks away? How would have a NHLer instead of drafting Nurse hurt us right now? By the looks of it Nurse is probably 2+ years away from making any sort of impact in the NHL. Would we be worse by not drafting Yak and have moved the pick?

This team can afford to move picks.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:47 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
Why can't we afford to give picks away? How would have a NHLer instead of drafting Nurse hurt us right now? By the looks of it Nurse is probably 2+ years away from making any sort of impact in the NHL. Would we be worse by not drafting Yak and have moved the pick?

This team can afford to move picks.

So what Dmen do you expect to pick up to make us into some sort of deep playoff team? This team is no matter what they do, short of something ridiculous 2 years minimum from playoffs. Please tell me what team will give you quality dmen for picks? We have other assets worth more than our picks to deal.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Let's just do an all under 25 squad

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
Horak- Arcobello - Pitlick
Moroz - Chase - Khaira

Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom - Belov
Marincin - JShultz
Fedun

Rimmer
Brossoit

Never change it, keep it that way and force them to play well together... Success right?... Right...?
And as soon as they turn 25, the crystal in the palm of their hands turn red and we get to shoot them with lasers in some sort of trippy circus.

Old
12-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Oilers Apologist

If I had the ability to make trades go through here's what I'd try:

Gagner, Jones for Tlusty

Hemsky, Musil for Hartnell

Klefbom, Petry, 2015 2nd for Byfuglien, Thorburn (Oil probably need to add.)

Marincin, J Schultz, N Schultz, Yakupov for Coburn, L Schenn, Simmonds.

Hall - Nuge - Simmonds
Perron - Tlusty - Eberle
Hartnell - Arcobello - Smyth
Gazdic - Gordon - Joensuu

Coburn - Byfuglien
Belov - Schenn
Ference - Larsen/Fedun

Tell me how far off I am so I can crawl back under my rock..

Old
12-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Quokka

At this point, I wouldn't mind if the Oilers were to take on bad contracts for "gritty" players in an attempt to turn things around. This continued soft play, lack of commitment on D and complete unwillingness to stick up for teammates is sickening. I'd be all for a Hartnell for Hemsky trade. I'd even be ok with a Gagner for Clarkson trade if the Leafs would be willing to hold back a million. With the cap going up, Clarkson at 4.25 is not so bad it would handcuff the team in the future. To me, Clarkson at 4.25 million is much, much better for the Oilers than Gagner at 4.8 million (I think I'd even prefer Clarkson at 5.25 than Gagner at 4.8 at this point).

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arcobello-Yakupov
Hartnell - Gordon - Clarkson

That looks like a much more complete team (on offence) to me. We'd even still have Yak/Eberle to use as a trade chip for a top D.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:03 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Can I ask why there's such an obsession for Braydon Coburn? He's really not that great.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
So what Dmen do you expect to pick up to make us into some sort of deep playoff team? This team is no matter what they do, short of something ridiculous 2 years minimum from playoffs. Please tell me what team will give you quality dmen for picks? We have other assets worth more than our picks to deal.
I never said anything about one d-man making us a deep playoff team, but there are d-men out there on the block that are better than what we have.

Teams look for top picks all the time, maybe the pick doesn't get dealt now maybe it's at the TDD or the draft but there is no reason why that pick isn't on the block.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:19 PM
McDeathbyCheerios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Can I ask why there's such an obsession for Braydon Coburn? He's really not that great.
Not an Oiler.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
#1 d-man on a better team?

Old
12-18-2013, 03:30 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
I never said anything about one d-man making us a deep playoff team, but there are d-men out there on the block that are better than what we have.

Teams look for top picks all the time, maybe the pick doesn't get dealt now maybe it's at the TDD or the draft but there is no reason why that pick isn't on the block.
The pick should be on the block imo if we have no shot at Eklbad, Reinhart or Leon. Otherwise players should be on the block. I don't know how we can improve D to much extent without free agency or draft tbh. I think a few targets for trade are MAYBE Brian Campbell, Ehrhoff, and/or Byfuglien. Other than those few guys there aren't too many particularly decent Dmen up for grabs.

UFA maybe if we can land a Phaneuf or Markov.

I always liked getting Simmonds and maybe Coburn together but that is a player deal.

I think something like Eberle, Gagner (25% ret), Marincin and 2015 3rd for Dubinsky, Tyutin and Jenner. Not that exact trade, I sure as hell am an arm chair GM but it may work for both clubs.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:32 PM
McDeathbyCheerios*

Quote:
The pick should be on the block imo if we have no shot at Eklbad, Reinhart or Leon. Otherwise players should be on the block. I don't know how we can improve D to much extent without free agency or draft tbh. I think a few targets for trade are MAYBE Brian Campbell, Ehrhoff, and/or Byfuglien. Other than those few guys there aren't too many particularly decent Dmen up for grabs.

UFA maybe if we can land a Phaneuf or Markov.
If we can get a 1 D from a deal including our first rounder we do it. Even if it's a first overall. We don't ne D help in 3-5 years, we need help now. Players are going to start not wanting to resign or end up asking for trades if we don't.
No more draft high and hope they pan out.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:36 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
If we can get a 1 D from a deal including our first rounder we do it. Even if it's a first overall. We don't ne D help in 3-5 years, we need help now. Players are going to start not wanting to resign or end up asking for trades if we don't.
No more draft high and hope they pan out.
I agree but that probably won't happen. We'll trade the pick for some mediocre solution like Coburn or Schenn, hope to hell we sign a free agent Dman, lose Ekblad and never get a 1D. Because we have 0 of those in the pipes and also no Centers to think of either.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
McDeathbyCheerios*

Quote:
I agree but that probably won't happen. We'll trade the pick for some mediocre solution like Coburn or Schenn, hope to hell we sign a free agent Dman, lose Ekblad and never get a 1D. Because we have 0 of those in the pipes and also no Centers to think of either.
I'm really hoping that if we draft Ekblad MacT gives him a year or two before rushing him into the Nhl. If we are going to draft that high again we need to properly develop the pick, not rush them in and teach them bad habits

Old
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
I'm really hoping that if we draft Ekblad MacT gives him a year or two before rushing him into the Nhl. If we are going to draft that high again we need to properly develop the pick, not rush them in and teach them bad habits
Since we're 2+ years away from playoff contention (reasonably imo), I think the org needs to really focus on the pipeline and development of players. So many orgs are having a lot of success finding diamonds in the rough. It needs to be improved.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
If I had the ability to make trades go through here's what I'd try:

Gagner, Jones for Tlusty

Hemsky, Musil for Hartnell

Klefbom, Petry, 2015 2nd for Byfuglien, Thorburn (Oil probably need to add.)

Marincin, J Schultz, N Schultz, Yakupov for Coburn, L Schenn, Simmonds.

Hall - Nuge - Simmonds
Perron - Tlusty - Eberle
Hartnell - Arcobello - Smyth
Gazdic - Gordon - Joensuu

Coburn - Byfuglien
Belov - Schenn
Ference - Larsen/Fedun

Tell me how far off I am so I can crawl back under my rock..
That team doesn't look much better than the one we have now.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:12 PM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

Quote:
#1 d-man on a better team?
If people are expecting Coburn to solve our defensive issues they will be very disappointed if they ever see him play for the Oilers. He isn't a top pairing D.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:17 PM
McDeathbyCheerios*

Another blow it up and see what happens idea in a way. Lets acquire all the past Oil Kings that are doing decent and make a team out of them

Trades
Nick Schultz > Buffalo > Mark Pysyk
Gagner > Ottawa > Lazar + 2nd
J Schultz + Ottawas 2nd > NYI for Griffin Reinhart
Dubnyk + Omark > Pitts > Tristan Jarry
Yakupov > Phoenix > Henrik Sammulsson + 2nd

Draft Ekblad cause why not....
Draft Irving from the Oil Kings as well... next year run with this amazing team

Hall - RNH - Eberle (The Kid line to lead the new kids)
Perron - Arcobello - Khaira
Moroz - Lazar - Samuelsson
Ewaynk - Chase - Gazdic

Eblad - Nurse
Pysyk - Reinhart
Gernat - Musil
Marincin

Brossoit
Jarry

This works too... right...

Old
12-18-2013, 04:24 PM
488fitter

vCash: 50
Good teams more times then not, have a lineup built down the middle and on the back end. I'd aim to have 3 capable centres in the top 6, and 5 in the top 9. I'd also swiftly remove players from this team that aren't capable of playing defensively sound hockey.

I'd target San Jose as a trading partner since they have 4 centres, including Marleau, in the top 15 according to NHL.com (which is down right ridiculous). Plus they're weak on the RW which we have an abundance of.

Pavelski is the guy I'd take a shot at. Currently playing on the 3rd line behind big Joe and Couture, he's nearly a PPG player with a FO% of 54.3 and seems to never take a shift off.

Some won't like the value, but I would dangle Yakupov for Pavelski. Yak may become a better player, but Pavelski is needed more on this team.

Next, I'd target Grossman and B.Schenn from Philly. Gagner and J.Schultz perhaps.

I'd pull the trigger on Eberle for Yandle/Byfuglien/etc.

Like most, I'd throw big bucks at Girardi. I'd also throw a bunch at Radim Vrbata to fill Eberle's hole. Then attempt to sign Steve Downie and Brian Boyle. One of Hiller, Halak, or Bryz would be a treat to have after years of pulling hair. Bryz could probably be had for a cheaper price given how the last year has panned out, the question is, would he resign here.

Out: Yak, Ebs, J.Schultz, Gagner, Hemsky, Jones, Smyth, N.Schultz, Potter, Dubnyk

In: Vrbata, Pavelski, B.Schenn, Downie, Boyle, Girardi, Yandle, Grossman

2014/2015 Lineup

Hall - Nuge - Vrbata
Perron - Pavelski - Schenn
Arco - Gordon - Downie
Joensuu - Boyle - Gazdic
Pitlick, Acton

Yandle - Girardi
Grossman - Petry
Ference - Nurse
Belov

Bryzgalov