HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 32: 12/16 | Blues @ Sens | 6:30 CST

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2013, 11:38 AM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

vCash: 500
Game 32: 12/16 | Blues @ Sens | 6:30 CST

Sobotka, Cole and Schwartz out, D pairings all switched up, Elliott in net, gonna be a doozie.

Sobotka left last game in the 3rd period. He and Schwartz both didn't skate in the morning skate before that game either. Safe to say they were nursing an injury already. Speculation would say that Hitch is holding them out for tonight with hopes to preserve them for San Jose, since it is the game with more implications in the West.

Blues:

Steen Backes Oshie
Morrow Roy Stewart
Paajarvi Berglund Tarasenko
Porter Lapierre Cracknell

Jackman Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester Polak
Colaiacovo Shattenkirk (OH DEAR GOD)

Elliott
Halak

Sens:

MacArthur Spezza Condra
Conacher Turris Ryan
Greening Pageau Neil
Michalek Smith Zibenejad

Cowen Karlsson
Phillips Ceci
Corvo Weircoch
Methot Gryba
(not sure who will be scratched, looks like Methot and Weircoch?)

Lehner
Anderson

Just realized I already put all my vCash on the Blues before I found out LOLaiacovo was in and Schwartz/Sobotka were out, hope I get lucky

Last edited by The Note in Ky: 12-16-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old
12-16-2013, 11:40 AM
PitchDoug

What happened with Schwartz?

Old
12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Shame about Schwartz. Was juiced to watch him tonight. Got Blues tickets this year vs Vancouver nad he better not be taken out of that game!!

Old
12-16-2013, 11:43 AM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
Good like guys, I will probably have to jump on your bandwagon when we miss the playoffs

Old
12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

JBo/Polak could be interesting as both guys can skate exceptionally well. Jackman and Petro pairing has been hit or miss in the past, so who knows what's going to happen there. Colaiacovo/Shattenkirk pairing is a bit scary. If Cola has to play, I would rather him just be a straight substitute for Cole and play with Polak. I don't really understand the logic in breaking up all 3 pairings for the same game.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:53 AM
PitchDoug

Looked up the answer to my question about Schwartz for anyone else who maybe didn't know -- per JR, "Schwartz and Sobotka, both have been nursing minor injuries. And don't forget, the blues play tomorrow vs. SJ."

hope to see then both back tomorrow then.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:02 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Well, you would think this is a game they should win, but...

The defensive pairings are interesting, I wonder if Hitch is planning to scale back AP and JB's minutes for this game.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:08 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Michalek on the 4th line?! Is that the actual line order for the Sens, or did you just post all of their forwards? What's listed in the OP as the Sens 3rd line looks more like the 4th line to me.

EDIT: That's how it's written in their GDT also. NHL.com shows that he still gets the 4th most minutes out of their forwards, so I don't really understand how that works....

Last edited by MattyMo35: 12-16-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
12-16-2013, 12:12 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

JR referred to something on Sobotka tightening up during the Columbus game, and since he took that headshot from Clarkson in the game preceding it's likely related.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Colaiacovo-Shattenkirk scares the holy hell outta me. They both can move the puck well but if they get hemmed in the zone it could get ugly. They both play better with the puck than without.

I hope Schwartz and Sobotka heal up and our lineup doesn't miss them as much as I think they will. Also, since Morrow is playing tonight I would like to see him as scratch tomorrow. In every back2back he has played in this year he hasn't looked good (tired).

Edit: Also, NO SLOW STARTS (if I keep asking for it might just happen)

Old
12-16-2013, 12:33 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

at least Oshie, Tarasenko and Stewart seem to be fine.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Skew06

No schwartz, no sobotka...Sucks

Jackman on the first D-line? WOOF

We are finished.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Colaiacovo/Shattenkirk is going to be atrocious in our own zone. Sucks that Schwartz and Sobotka are out, the two have such good chemistry together. Regardless, this is a good chance for Paajarvi to step up and show us what he's got.

Old
12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Stopsight

vCash: 770
This will be an interesting game for sure. I don't necessarily disagree with testing out some new things in a game that doesn't mean much.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:02 PM
HooliganX2

WTF is wrong with Hitchcock and the defensive pairings one bad game and he goes insane..

Hitchcock really needs to let someone else take care of the defensive pairings he has not idea WTF he is doing.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:23 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

I'm interested to see how the pairings work out. I've been thinking recently that it may be better to split up Petro and JBow. Allows at least one of them to be on the ice for 2/3+ of the game. Also, the best defenders usually can make up for their partner's weaknesses. Reminds me of Pronger and MacInnis. Pronger was able to make Jeff Finely, among others, look serviceable. Petro did the same with Carlo, but that does sort of beg the question as to why not play Petro-Colo together and keep Shatty-Jax. I'd also be curious of how JBow and Shatty would work as a pairing (I know it was tried in preseason/training camp, before Petro was signed, but how much can really be garnered from preseason?). But that would leave one of Colo-Polak, or Jax-Polak as the third pairing, and we all know how well the latter fared. Oh well, I guess we'll see how it goes tonight.

Last edited by wilco5886: 12-16-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old
12-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Milan the God*

Here's some things you should know about the Sens:

- Thankfully, from a Sens POV, we're playing Robin Lehner. Anderson has been a disaster this year and hasn't been able to bail the team out at all. Lehner is a little inconsistent, but he's had some absolutely unreal games this year. One game he faced 50+ shots against the Sharks when they were undefeated and we lost 3-2 but he gave the team a chance. His weakness is definitely the shootouts as he's incredibly brutal at them (and so are our shooters which makes for a bad shootout record).

- The defense. We have a strong knack for going down 2-0, and giving up a goal early in the game. I'm expecting the Blues to score before the four minute mark into this game. The defense has a lot of giveaways and breakdowns. It seems like teams score in bunches against us. Gryba coughs up the puck when pressured. Phillips is slow and makes a lot of bad plays. Corvo gets beaten pretty often. Karlsson is a hit-or-miss. Sometimes he has a great defensive games, and other games he's a liability. He's looked good recently so here's hoping. Methot is solid, but he's sitting out recovering from the flu. Cody Ceci is playing his third NHL game and has looked pretty solid, although his inexperience could start showing up any second now.

- The forwards are pretty inconsistent. The top line, with Spezza and MacArthur will probably be dangerous. MacArthur is referred to as "The Doctor" by our PxP announcers because whatever line he's put on has success. Erik Condra isn't a great player and is known for missing (literally) wide-open nets. I'll post a video at the bottom of this. The second line is inconsistent. Conacher hasn't been great in Ottawa, while Turris is very streaky and Bobby Ryan is usually pretty dangerous. The bottom six has struggled to score goals and give us some depth offense this year, although Zibanejad has been good.

Basically, Sens fans aren't expecting a win because the team finds new ways of losing each and every night.

Here's the Condra video. He's on our top line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Michalek on the 4th line?! Is that the actual line order for the Sens, or did you just post all of their forwards? What's listed in the OP as the Sens 3rd line looks more like the 4th line to me.

EDIT: That's how it's written in their GDT also. NHL.com shows that he still gets the 4th most minutes out of their forwards, so I don't really understand how that works....
It's kind of a recent thing. He had been getting time with Spezza the entire year, and barely produced off of it. He's looked good with gritty grinders like Chris Neil and Zack Smith, so thankfully MacLean put him there. But yeah..the past two years have been awful by MM9. He's lost his speed, losing puck battles, making dumb decisions and just isn't a great player anymore.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Skew06

We need to come out flying this game with the way everything has been shaken up. If we win the first period, we win the game in my opinion. We get really stupid and lose focus really fast if we aren't walking into the first intermission with a lead. It seems like this team lets problems like that snowball into bigger problems as the game goes on when that happens.

Even though we ended up coming back and winning on Saturday in Columbus, we all know that the Blues got away with one big time by even getting a single point out of that game, let alone 2. That was one of the sloppiest games I've seen the blues play in a long time. Now we need to step it up with out our two best forecheckers and Jackman on the first D-Line (never thought id see that again in my life).

Come out like gangbusters and lets keep the streak alive.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:54 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I'm curious about the Cola/Shattenkirk pairing. I'm not ready to pull my hair out before even seeing them on the ice. And Colaiacovo is still only going to be playing like his 2nd game in forever, so I expect rust.

The Blues are depleted in the spark plug department tonight (Sobotka and Schwartz). There is enough talent to win, but this is a trap game. Looking forward to San Jose, etc. Getting 2 points tonight will show a lot of character.

I bet we see Pietro/Bouwmeester back together in the 3rd period, if its a tight game.

Old
12-16-2013, 01:56 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
It's becoming painfully obvious that Berglund is going to be gone. When Roy was on the 4th, there was hope, but that is gone now.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
It's becoming painfully obvious that Berglund is going to be gone. When Roy was on the 4th, there was hope, but that is gone now.
How do you come to that conclusion?

Old
12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Not to me, its not obvious.

I saw the team missing his size a couple weeks ago when he was out for a short while. Just because his point production isn't as high as we'd like to see, I think your conclusions don't automatically follow. I think big bodies down the middle and good puck transition from the back end are the crux of Hitchcock's system. Center is already a thin position.

Now, if Berglund can be packaged for an UPGRADE at Center, that is a different story. But I don't see them letting him go before that type of player is brought in. I don't see who that is right now, and don't see an imminent move.

For all the bellyaching and hand-wringing on this site the past couple weeks, the Blues still have the least regulation losses and best points percentage. Are there weaknesses? Yes, but every year the Stanley Cup Champion has weaknesses, too. They overcome them and beat all the other teams. This Blues team is a legitimate contender....and they could conceivably win the Cup with the team as it is currently constituted. At any rate, the window is wide enough that it would be foolish to part with valuable pieces in a 'go for it' mode to get rentals. For that reason, we may see a frustratingly slow trade period this year. If the price is too high (and I think it will be) the Blues probably won't be able to get that Center we all want to conjure up.

I would love nothing better than to watch Berglund hoist the Cup here, and get his name engraved on it.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:23 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
With Sobotka out, Roy is used as the 2nd line center. Berglund won't be here next season. I'm not saying he is gone during the season, but we won't be extending him in the summer.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:26 PM
HooliganX2

We have no one to replace Berglund. I think you are reading way too much into things. That's like saying J-Bow is gone next year since he's bumped down to the 2nd pairing today.

Or Shatty is gone next season since he is on the 3rd pairing.

Old
12-16-2013, 02:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
With Sobotka out, Roy is used as the 2nd line center. Berglund won't be here next season. I'm not saying he is gone during the season, but we won't be extending him in the summer.
But look at the 3rd line? These decisions are also made with an eye toward not disrupting more lines than necessary when a player is out.

You may be correct, but I don't read the line-up tonight as being particularly significant regarding next year's off-season moves.

Closed Thread