HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Rob Ford 5: I Don't Want To Say That Word

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Kestrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
And even more awesome, when you look at Dale's twitter feed, so many Ford worshippers are calling him a pedophile and a lot of other names. Others keep commenting about how he WAS in Ford's backyard and he WAS taking pics of his kids.
I imagine that has to help Dale's case... at least to me, it would show that it WAS obvious what Ford was insinuating, and that it is damaging to Dale's character.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Uh-oh, now Ford is backpedaling, saying he didn't call Dale a pedophile. This could get interesting.
He never called Dale a pedophile though

Quote:
He asked for an apology and retraction. Apologizing because the media misinterpreted his words is not an apology. Blaming his neighbour for the whole thing is not a retraction. Never does this man take full responsibility for his actions. Besides that, there hasn't been a peep out of Vision TV or Zoomer.

If you listen to Dale, he doesn't want to go through with the lawsuit and he's again asked for the same things he asked for last week. If Ford's new lawyer gets involved and writes the apology as it should have been written today (and that's NOT in crayon), I wouldn't be surprised to see Dale drop it. The lawyer should also tell Doug to shut his yap because he keeps parroting his brother's words.
Because he has no case. He just wants his ego stroked a little bit.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post

Someone's not been paying attention.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
He did. Oh, he didn't want to say that word (see the title of the thread), but that's irrelevant. It isn't the evil leftist media that put the word in his mouth, Ford's words left no room whatsoever for interpretation. Even his own drones call Dale a pedophile.

Not that facts are important to your kind. After all, who could possibly be a better mayor than an alcoholic crack addict who frequents known criminals and acts in such a way as to put himself a situation where he could be blackmailed?

Old
12-17-2013, 11:14 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Dale has given every indication that he just wants his name cleared and for this to be over. I think that if Ford's latest lawyer crafts a new apology addressing everything (total retraction, sincere, or as sincere as Ford can give, apology), the lawsuit against him will be dropped.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Free Torts

Quote:
Bzzzzz. Wrong. Get acquainted with defamation law then get back to me. He did.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Johnny LaRue

Had Dale actually been taking pictures of Ford's back yard while Fords children there, then he probably wouldn't have had a case. Apparently that allegation was a lie though.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It seems a bit silly for the reporter to go ahead with the case but Wetcoaster seemed to think it could be a slamdunk so why not?
Nothing silly about it if one values one's reputation.

To be clear I never said it was a slamdunk - what I said was based upon the law Dale has a well-founded cause of action.

As a lawyer what could better than getting a serial liar like Rob Ford under oath at an examination for discovery where credibility is likely to play a huge part and he cannot run and hide or let Bro Dougie speak for him??

Old
12-18-2013, 01:41 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I imagine that has to help Dale's case... at least to me, it would show that it WAS obvious what Ford was insinuating, and that it is damaging to Dale's character.
The Criminal Code provisions on defamatory libel track the common law tort.

Maybe the police should lay charges as well.
Defamatory Libel
Definition

298. (1) A defamatory libel is matter published, without lawful justification or excuse, that is likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or that is designed to insult the person of or concerning whom it is published.

Mode of expression

(2) A defamatory libel may be expressed directly or by insinuation or irony

(a) in words legibly marked on any substance; or

(b) by any object signifying a defamatory libel otherwise than by words.

Publishing

299. A person publishes a libel when he

(a) exhibits it in public;

(b) causes it to be read or seen; or

(c) shows or delivers it, or causes it to be shown or delivered, with intent that it should be read or seen by the person whom it defames or by any other person.

Punishment of libel known to be false

300. Every one who publishes a defamatory libel that he knows is false is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...1.html#docCont

Old
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Because it's hilarious. What should we be talking about?
About stuff that matters and that we can't do jack about. And it's not hilarious anymore, it's just sad and sickening. He is elected office supposedly. And if I'm correct his approval ratings rose after the crack story broke ... I believe to have seen that on the Daily Show ... I mean really people. If we occupy ourselves with such an issue, is it any great wonder that the upper 1% **** us up the ass every day. "Hey look there is a major that is stoned 24/7 and people worship him too! hahah" ... ****ing idiots we are.

Quote:
Can we talk about Rob Ford if we talk about what you think we should be talking about? You realize there are multiple threads here and we can talk about a multitude of things at once right?
Essentially no. Just stop talking about Rob Ford, empeach or shoot him, then you could talk again about it. But there is freedom speech, so do whatever you want people. As for now we still have that right supposedly.

I do realize the multitude and the multiple threads. I unfortunately also realize the sheer non-existance of valuable or useful information being discussed or shared here.

Quote:
And whatchu mean "you people"
reminds me of Dave Chappelle's "Mad Real World"

No offense intended. It's ok, there are many trolly, idiots, bigots and stright up *******s in here. Didn't mean to lump yall together.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Another US late night host weighs in.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat - "What the hell is going on? Are they all on crack?" @jimmykimmel last night on city council's dance break

Old
12-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFANMANI View Post
About stuff that matters and that we can't do jack about. And it's not hilarious anymore, it's just sad and sickening. He is elected office supposedly. And if I'm correct his approval ratings rose after the crack story broke ... I believe to have seen that on the Daily Show ... I mean really people. If we occupy ourselves with such an issue, is it any great wonder that the upper 1% **** us up the ass every day. "Hey look there is a major that is stoned 24/7 and people worship him too! hahah" ... ****ing idiots we are.

Essentially no. Just stop talking about Rob Ford, empeach or shoot him, then you could talk again about it. But there is freedom speech, so do whatever you want people. As for now we still have that right supposedly.

I do realize the multitude and the multiple threads. I unfortunately also realize the sheer non-existance of valuable or useful information being discussed or shared here.

reminds me of Dave Chappelle's "Mad Real World"

No offense intended. It's ok, there are many trolly, idiots, bigots and stright up *******s in here. Didn't mean to lump yall together.
I disagree with your premise, because we're talking about whatever we want to here as long as it pertains to politics. There are all sorts of topics going on right now I don't think this one has had a negative impact on other discussions.

And stop complaining before I cut some bacon off your back

Old
12-18-2013, 05:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I disagree with your premise, because we're talking about whatever we want to here as long as it pertains to politics. There are all sorts of topics going on right now I don't think this one has had a negative impact on other discussions.

And stop complaining before I cut some bacon off your back
It's easier for everyone to put people like that on ignore and not reply to their comments.

Old
12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I've been posting here since 2002 and have never put anyone on ignore, and I'm not about to let any of these kids force me to break that policy.

Old
12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

NYRFAN is so angry all the time. Must be a horrible way to live one's life.

Old
12-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Johnny LaRue

I just saw Wednesday night's National. Surprise, surprise: Ford apologised and admitted to lying about Dale. As a fellow man, I want Ford to smarten up and change his ways (outside of the mayor's office), but he keeps digging himself deeper.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I just saw Wednesday night's National. Surprise, surprise: Ford apologised and admitted to lying about Dale. As a fellow man, I want Ford to smarten up and change his ways (outside of the mayor's office), but he keeps digging himself deeper.
Should be worth a boost in his ratings.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:56 PM
MsWoof

And in the apology of the day, Ford is once again apologizing to Dale via an open letter. This was obviously written by his lawyer as it is not in crayon. And Ford considers the matter closed now. Sorry, Robo, you actually don't have a say in whether it's closed or not.

Edit: Apparently he has retracted everything and Dale isn't going to sue. Let's see if Ford learns anything from this.

Old
12-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Edit.

Old
12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
And in the apology of the day, Ford is once again apologizing to Dale via an open letter. This was obviously written by his lawyer as it is not in crayon. And Ford considers the matter closed now. Sorry, Robo, you actually don't have a say in whether it's closed or not.

Edit: Apparently he has retracted everything and Dale isn't going to sue. Let's see if Ford learns anything from this.
He has learned he can defame someone, apologize and go his merry way.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Johnny LaRue

Dale is being a gentleman here and accepting the apology even though it was compelled by a lawsuit. I wonder if Dale isn't enabling Ford here. The man needs to learn, and he won't learn without having consequences for his actions.

Old
12-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 50
Too bad this POS won't get sued. He deserved it.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:57 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
He has learned he can defame someone, apologize and go his merry way.
I'm not sure. It was already a rather weak defamation case. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't there have to be actual harm caused by the alleged defamation? If Ford implies the guy is a pedophile but nobody believes it there's not really a case for defamation in my mind.

Old
12-19-2013, 05:46 AM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm not sure. It was already a rather weak defamation case. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't there have to be actual harm caused by the alleged defamation? If Ford implies the guy is a pedophile but nobody believes it there's not really a case for defamation in my mind.
Lots of people believed Ford's statements that Dale was peering into his backyard and photographing his kids, even though it was all false. Those lies could have hurt his reputation, and particularly as a journalist his reputation matters.

Old
12-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Lots of people believed Ford's statements that Dale was peering into his backyard and photographing his kids, even though it was all false. Those lies could have hurt his reputation, and particularly as a journalist his reputation matters.
They may have believed Dale was taking pictures of ford's backyard while kids were there, but I don't think anybody thought it was due to being a pedophile. Personally, When the story broke I thought it was just an over zealous reporter trying to get dirt on Ford.

Closed Thread