HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Olympic Hockey Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2013, 10:31 PM
  #51
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,048
vCash: 500
My only hope is that Koivu doesn't burn himself out and takes the month long slump he's been into February. Can we just wrap him in bubble wrap and make sure he doesn't play much?

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
12-27-2013, 04:50 AM
  #52
Gaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
My only hope is that Koivu doesn't burn himself out and takes the month long slump he's been into February. Can we just wrap him in bubble wrap and make sure he doesn't play much?
Koivu? Not play much? In the Olympics? That, my friend, is a pipe dream. He's got 20+ minutes per game waiting for him in Russia. Well, maybe a little less in the first two games because there's no need to wear anyone out against Norway and Austria.

Gaps is offline  
Old
12-27-2013, 05:29 AM
  #53
Lapa
Global Moderator
Welcome Boudreau
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,965
vCash: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
My only hope is that Koivu doesn't burn himself out and takes the month long slump he's been into February. Can we just wrap him in bubble wrap and make sure he doesn't play much?
I don't think we need to worry about Koivu burning himself out. He doesn't seem to mind big minutes.

Lapa is online now  
Old
12-27-2013, 05:40 AM
  #54
Big C
Registered User
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Norway
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Koivu? Not play much? In the Olympics? That, my friend, is a pipe dream. He's got 20+ minutes per game waiting for him in Russia. Well, maybe a little less in the first two games because there's no need to wear anyone out against Norway and Austria.
You don't wanna underestimate the Norwegians.. or so I've heard..

Big C is offline  
Old
12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
  #55
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
I'm wondering if USA boys had a chat with Zach when the team was in Pitt?

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
12-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  #56
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
I don't think we need to worry about Koivu burning himself out. He doesn't seem to mind big minutes.
Except he's streaky as hell. One good month then a bad month.

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 04:02 PM
  #57
tyratoku
Registered User
 
tyratoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,623
vCash: 500
Parise and Suter officially on Team USA.

Pominville did not make it. That blows.

There are eight Minnesotans in total. Easily the most of any state.

David Backes, Justin Faulk, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, T.J. Oshie, Zach Parise, Derek Stepan, and Blake Wheeler

A truly fantastic group of forwards and defenders. And yet no goalie to speak of

tyratoku is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 04:11 PM
  #58
Generic User
Moderator
How's your burger?
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
There are eight Minnesotans in total. Easily the most of any state.

David Backes, Justin Faulk, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, T.J. Oshie, Zach Parise, Derek Stepan, and Blake Wheeler

A truly fantastic group of forwards and defenders. And yet no goalie to speak of

Generic User is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 04:15 PM
  #59
tyratoku
Registered User
 
tyratoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,623
vCash: 500
It seems Pominville never got any real consideration:
Quote:
Like Bishop, Poile notes that Jason Pominville and Kyle Okposo are having great seasons but haven't been given much, if any, consideration.

Still, the belief is that neither Pominville nor Okposo is built for the big ice, and their names will rarely, if ever, be heard in relation to making the team going forward.
Link to an extremely detailed article on the entire process. A decent read.
On captaincy:
Quote:
Zach Parise, David Backes, Dustin Brown, Patrick Kane and Ryan Callahan are all returning members of the '10 team. They will form the nucleus of the offensive group in Sochi. It is from this group a captain will emerge.
So it seems that Suter is out of the running for captain. Hopefully Parise gets it. But I could definitely see either Callahan or Backes getting it as well.

tyratoku is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
  #60
Gaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
Too bad for Pominville But I don't get how anyone can be asking why Ben Bishop's not on the team. He played in the World Championships in Helsinki last spring and could barely have caught a sofa if one had been sent his way. His positioning was terrible and he seemed to have little idea on how to play on the bigger ice surface. No team can afford to bring in a goalie like that if they're aware of the problem.

Gaps is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
  #61
Engebretson
Registered User
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 1387
No Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle for team USA. Apparently the selection group didn't like Yandle's defense and Ryan didn't slot into the bottom 6. Still, Orpik makes the team over Yandle? Hard to not think there's some Pens bias there.

Engebretson is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 05:18 PM
  #62
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
No Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle for team USA. Apparently the selection group didn't like Yandle's defense and Ryan didn't slot into the bottom 6. Still, Orpik makes the team over Yandle? Hard to not think there's some Pens bias there.
I hate to say I agree, but I do. Orpik has no business on this team over Erik Johnson.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 05:19 PM
  #63
HDZx
Registered User
 
HDZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
No Bobby Ryan or Keith Yandle for team USA. Apparently the selection group didn't like Yandle's defense and Ryan didn't slot into the bottom 6. Still, Orpik makes the team over Yandle? Hard to not think there's some Pens bias there.
I think the main reason Orpik was picked is simply his role. I guess the right players, not the best players necessarily.

HDZx is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 05:26 PM
  #64
Generic User
Moderator
How's your burger?
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 9,586
vCash: 500
Would take Bobby Ryan in any role on any line over Wheeler or JVR with specifically tailored duties.

Generic User is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 05:43 PM
  #65
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
I think the main reason Orpik was picked is simply his role. I guess the right players, not the best players necessarily.
I know you're stating a very valid point but what does Brooks ****ing Orpik bring to the table that Keith Yandle or Erik Johnson would not bring?

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
  #66
Engebretson
Registered User
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I know you're stating a very valid point but what does Brooks ****ing Orpik bring to the table that Keith Yandle or Erik Johnson would not bring?
The knock on Yandle was his defense and Burke specifically was against him. I guess Pavelski would be on the point on the PP and would make a purely offensive D like Yandle expendable. Still, can't imagine why the highest scoring American D over the last 4 years gets omitted, especially with his mobility and big ice.

Engebretson is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 06:10 PM
  #67
tyratoku
Registered User
 
tyratoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Zenon Konopka verified
FYI -Jason Pominville is eligible for team U.S.A. As well ... This guy is so good and he's such a gamer #toughchoices #Sochi2014
Sounds like Konopka is bummed Pominville didn't make it. That blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I know you're stating a very valid point but what does Brooks ****ing Orpik bring to the table that Keith Yandle or Erik Johnson would not bring?
Orpik is a rough crease-clearing guy. He'll sacrifice the body for damn near anything. Blocks shots, lays some great hits, and is reliable defensively. He is pretty much nothing when it comes to offense, but playing actual defense he might be one of the top three defenders defensive-wise on the team.

Both Johnson and Yandle are offensive minded or -at best- two way players. Maybe the USA Brass wanted a strict defensive minded guy for certain situations?

tyratoku is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 06:39 PM
  #68
Engebretson
Registered User
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Maybe the USA Brass wanted a strict defensive minded guy for certain situations?
This seemed to be the theme in 2010 and they'll be using the same concept in Sochi.

I was just thinking Yandle might have been a good replacement for Rafalski on that top pairing with Suter. Can't help but think that Yandle would've had a better shot if he played out East vs the desert.

Engebretson is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 06:56 PM
  #69
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
This seemed to be the theme in 2010 and they'll be using the same concept in Sochi.

I was just thinking Yandle might have been a good replacement for Rafalski on that top pairing with Suter. Can't help but think that Yandle would've had a better shot if he played out East vs the desert.
Which I 100% agree with you right there. Suter needs that offensive minder player. They are banking on Martin to be that player and he's still hurt.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:05 PM
  #70
J22*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Sounds like Konopka is bummed Pominville didn't make it. That blows.



Orpik is a rough crease-clearing guy. He'll sacrifice the body for damn near anything. Blocks shots, lays some great hits, and is reliable defensively. He is pretty much nothing when it comes to offense, but playing actual defense he might be one of the top three defenders defensive-wise on the team.

Both Johnson and Yandle are offensive minded or -at best- two way players. Maybe the USA Brass wanted a strict defensive minded guy for certain situations?

I gotta believe that Bylsma is the only reason that Orpik is on the team. Really have a hard time believing that any of the GM's would even consider him for an Olympics on big ice.

J22* is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:05 PM
  #71
Engebretson
Registered User
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Which I 100% agree with you right there. Suter needs that offensive minder player. They are banking on Martin to be that player and he's still hurt.
Everybody they've selected is expected to be healthy for the games, but yeah, they're banking on a bunch of guys to be completely healed by then. Yandle has been healthy and playing well so far this season.

Engebretson is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
  #72
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I gotta believe that Bylsma is the only reason that Orpik is on the team. Really have a hard time believing that any of the GM's would even consider him for an Olympics on big ice.
I gave Orpik making this team a snowballs chance in hell. I was wrong and I think it is because they are doing this "chemistry" thing. Orpik didn't bring a lot in 2010, what is he bringing this time around? He has to be an alternate and Fowler/Faulk are the main one. HAS to be....


Regardless....very young team. Meshed the vets with the youth movement. I do like that aspect. I think that is what screwed them in 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Everybody they've selected is expected to be healthy for the games, but yeah, they're banking on a bunch of guys to be completely healed by then. Yandle has been healthy and playing well so far this season.
Just blows my mind...

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:11 PM
  #73
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
So let us talk lines:

Parise-Stepan-Kane
JVR-Backes-Kessel
Wheeler-Pavelski-Oshie
Brown-Kesler-Callahan

Suter-Martin
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Carlson-Fowler

Miller
Quick

Rest are alternates/healthy scratches

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:13 PM
  #74
Engebretson
Registered User
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 9,247
vCash: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I gave Orpik making this team a snowballs chance in hell. I was wrong and I think it is because they are doing this "chemistry" thing. Orpik didn't bring a lot in 2010, what is he bringing this time around? He has to be an alternate and Fowler/Faulk are the main one. HAS to be....
Apparently, the final blueline spot was between Jack Johnson, Yandle, and Fowler. Orpik made the cut before any of those guys. Fowler isn't a terrible pick, I just would've preferred Yandle.

Ray Shero is also one of the GM's involved with selection.

Engebretson is offline  
Old
01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
  #75
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 14,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Apparently, the final blueline spot was between Jack Johnson, Yandle, and Fowler. Orpik made the cut before any of those guys. Fowler isn't a terrible pick, I just would've preferred Yandle.
Jack Johnson is probably the most decorated USA player ever, but Erik Johnson is a travesty for not even being in this consideration.

Orpik picked that quick either has to do with the 2010 "vet" - 2 - youth ratio or Blysma wants his guys there since they'll clearly be playing a style like Pittsburgh.

I would have preferred

Suter-Yandle
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Carlson-E. Johnson

Fowler and Martin were my alternates

BigT2002 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.