HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Cam developing into a number one d-man?

Old
10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
camshaft

vCash: 500
Is Cam developing into a number one d-man?

Cam has been very solid defensively almost the whole season (except for 1st game), and in the Dallas game, he demonstrated the type of offense that we all have been expecting of him. He has been playing big minutes, and it looks like he is ready to make the jump and take on the responsibilities of a number one d-man.

camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Right now I think he's a good #2. He's not consistently defensively aware enough to be a #1 right now IMO. He's also not physical enough to ever be a #1 unless he gets much better at positioning and stick checking to compensate for his size/physicality.

And stop sliding across the ice when you don't need to please.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 04:11 PM
AngelDuck

He's a top pairing caliber player. That's pretty ****ing good for a 21 year old if you ask me. Anyone who thought he'd be an elite #1 by this time in his career was being unrealistic.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Paul4587

He's still a #2-3 on most teams. If he can extrapolate his most recent few performances over a full season then we can start talking about him possibly being a #1 defenseman.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I think he's proving himself to be a good #2 right now, but I don't think he's been able to consistently play at that next level to deserve to be called a #1. If he can hit that next level, and stay there, I think he can be that guy.

I also agree with DVM that the dude needs to stay on his feet. That sliding play he makes is a bad habit, and in his case it completely eliminates one of his strongest assets(his skating) for that play. Players are just too aware for that play to work consistently.

Still, I think the potential is obviously there. I think AngelDuck makes a good point about realistic expectations. He's 21 years old, and as AD said "that's pretty ****ing good".

10-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I'd say it's worth noting that Fowler's probably ahead of where Niedermayer was at the same age. No, he hasn't been a Doughty or Pietrangelo(although he took a bit of time, too), but with a guy like Fowler, it'll take time. Defensively, he's probably much further along than many thought he'd ever be, and he still can get a lot better. If he can continue to improve defensively, and fully put it together offensively, he could be great for a large number of years.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Think Lindholm will end up being our #1 with Fowler at 2 or 3

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsons Finest View Post
I'd say it's worth noting that Fowler's probably ahead of where Niedermayer was at the same age. No, he hasn't been a Doughty or Pietrangelo(although he took a bit of time, too), but with a guy like Fowler, it'll take time. Defensively, he's probably much further along than many thought he'd ever be, and he still can get a lot better. If he can continue to improve defensively, and fully put it together offensively, he could be great for a large number of years.
It's worth noting that Doughty has kind of been at that level for a while, and he's never been able to match his sophomore play. He reached that level sooner, but he also leveled off(and he's been plagued with inconsistency). Pietrangelo has had some struggles too, and he hasn't quite hit that next level that many expected of him.

A lot of people expect players to develop at a consistent rate, but that just isn't the way it works. Some players hit their stride earlier, some later. Sometimes their play levels off, and sometimes they just keep getting better and better.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's worth noting that Doughty has kind of been at that level for a while, and he's never been able to match his sophomore play. He reached that level sooner, but he also leveled off(and he's been plagued with inconsistency). Pietrangelo has had some struggles too, and he hasn't quite hit that next level that many expected of him.

A lot of people expect players to develop at a consistent rate, but that just isn't the way it works. Some players hit their stride earlier, some later. Sometimes their play levels off, and sometimes they just keep getting better and better.
Absolutely, Doughty got to that #1 status pretty quickly but that's about it, and while he absolutely could improve, we haven't seen it yet. That's why I'm not worried about Fowler's development, it is different for every player, and there haven't been signs of any problems.

His offensive totals have gone down since his rookie year, but what we've got now is better than what it could've been. This right now is better than him being another Sandis Ozolinsh(although I always thought Ozo was underrated defensively by the time he came here), and I don't believe one bit the offense is gone.

It's also important to curb expectations. For years Niedermayer was considered a disappointment by some because he wasn't putting up amazing point totals, even ignoring the team he was on, and you might not see that with Fowler for years, if ever. But as long as his defensive play keeps improving and he's able to use his skating and passing effectively, I'll be more than happy with him.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Exit Dose

I do wonder if some of his offensive output in his rookie season - the assists - was due to Perry going on a crazy scoring tear.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:33 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

I would say that Cam has been a fantastic #2 at this point, much like many are saying. It is extremely tough to say whether he will be a #1, but based on his recent play, he is showing that he can be the go to guy on a lot of nights for any situation. He plays all 3 zones effectively and makes great plays in tough situations.

He has been a little snakebitten offensively, even in the Dallas game his shot went off Perry's jersey to negate his first of the year, but I think he has been effective and dangerous on offense, and above average defensively. Clearly we are just seeing what he can become.

Personally I want him to take a few more chances on the rush like we have seen Vatanen and Lindholm do. He was up on the rush quite a bit his rookie and second years, but has been more reserved recently, more focused on defensive play. He needs to be that 3rd guy on a 2 on 2 or a 4th guy sneaking in (on calculated occasions) ready for a high drop pass or to draw a defender away from another player in the slot. We were such a stupidly good offensive team that year he had 10g and 40p, I think now that he's reeled in his defensive game, I wouldn't mind the tradeoff when he jumps in the rush.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I do think that Cam's play, combined with some of the other US defensemen being less than impressive, could lead him to find a spot on the US Olympic team.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 07:00 PM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I do think that Cam's play, combined with some of the other US defensemen being less than impressive, could lead him to find a spot on the US Olympic team.
this will be bitter/sweet if he does (which i fully expect him to be on the team if he just keeps playing his game)...and agree with you and GF about the above...i was sooo impressed with cam's game both friday and sat. (got to see the games live), and he really has this ability to get the puck and things just all of the sudden slow down(ala scotty)...if he can continue to develop he is going to be unreal for us...this is kind of a weird year for him in the sense that he is kind of supposed to solidify himself as a player/dman, and so far (yes only 8 games) i like how he is responding

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:21 PM
rollingdux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I do wonder if some of his offensive output in his rookie season - the assists - was due to Perry going on a crazy scoring tear.
Perry and Lubo...

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
I don't think Fowler will ever be a CLEAR CUT #1 but he will be an amazing #2 and can be #1 when needed.

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:16 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

The man's a beautiful skater.

Just thought I'd put that out there

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I`m not sure he can be that clear cut #1 guy. Hard to say for me at this point. I`d love to see Lindholm-Fowler pair in action in the future (longterm). That pair could be amazing!

Anyway, this season so far Fowler averages almost 2 minutes more ice time than anyone else on this team (followed by Beauch (-2 min) and Getz (-3 min)). He averages the most shifts per game on team (2,6 shifts more than any other). He averages the most PP time from all the defenseman and 2nd most PK time from all the defensemen on the team. So we could argue that he is the #1 guy for us now.
However i think we need a better #1 guy at least for now.

Last edited by Kalvinators: 10-23-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 07:50 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Cam just needs to regain his offensive confidence. It's like he's barely even moving the puck over the red line nowadays. I don't know what has happened there, to be honest. Maybe he just need to think "Hey, **** this ****, I'm going to the net."

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:04 AM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Cam just needs to regain his offensive confidence. It's like he's barely even moving the puck over the red line nowadays. I don't know what has happened there, to be honest. Maybe he just need to think "Hey, **** this ****, I'm going to the net."
Yeah, I somewhat agree. I mean, I don't want him to take it to the net all of the time, but I would definitely like to see him take some risks more often. He always makes the safe play.. which isn't really a bad thing, I just wish he would be less tentative.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:17 PM
camshaft

If we pair up Cam with Lindholm, and Beach with Souray when he returns, it will give us an excellent top 4 for the playoffs.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
I'm still on the side that believes that Cam is doing what the coaching staff orders. For example, Vatanen pinches every chance he gets, while Cam doesn't. This is not an issue of Vatanen v Fowler, nor is it an issue of confidence(Vatanen) v not confident(Fowler).
You know, I agree with this to an extent. But at the end of the day, nothing is limiting Fowler from stepping up and making plays if he sees fit. That's when he'll really grow as a player. I'm already starting to see him grow more comfortable in his current role, and it's only a matter of time before he starts putting up more points. He's steadily making better decisions on when to pinch up and keep plays going. What's really missing from his game now is the willingness to step up and dart through the neutral zone. Simple adjustments like that can turn a dump in chase into a 3 or 4 on 2 rush.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
PhoenyX

Yeah, I've been very impressed with how much Cam has improved defensively. I never thought he was bad, even in his rookie season playing with Andreas freakin' Lilja and Andy the expert Sutton, but he has turned into a rock out there. I do agree with the person who said that he needs to stop going down on 2-on-1 attempts though.

In terms of his offence, I really have no idea why he doesn't jump into the rush more like he did in his rookie season. I was at the game vs Toronto and it was a lot of fun watching Vatanen skate up the ice and carry the puck into the other team's zone with relative ease. Maybe Boudreau wants him to play more defensive with Souray and Sbisa out of the lineup at the moment, but he was just as tentative last season when our defence was healthy.

PhoenyX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Still not as good as MDZ, duh.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
ericnut

Absolutely. Fowler is quickly becoming a great defenseman. I'm actually kind of shocked how much better he is in his own end.

ericnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 04:17 PM
camshaft

Now that we see Cam regaining signs of once again becoming an offensive force, it looks to me that Cam is becoming a number one defense man. It is shocking to me that Cam is leading the team in block shots.

I actually think people have spoken too early about Cam not being able to approach Scotty Neid's level. Cam is only twenty one, and if his game continues to grow at the same level as it has in last three years, I would not be surprised to see this. After all, he has Scotty himself to mentor him.