HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose 3-1

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I thought gardiner was playing really well until that goal but man that was 2 bad moves in a row. And I dont know why our checking line left crosby alone (their only assignment).

Otherwise, poor game by us. They kept us to the perimeter all game and we had like what- 5 shots from the slot? Easy game for fleury.

Also our passes were wayyyy off all game and we looked very sloppy. Its clear they thought this game was a shoe-in and werent mentally prepared. These games will come to bite us up the ass.
I thought we played more than well enough to get at least one point, and probably 2 points overall.

A very disappointing result tonight. The bottom line is we have to play well not make mental mistakes. Physical mistakes you can tolerate, but icing the puck when it was not needed, and then just throwing the puck to the point and not off the boards was doubly costly. This is why this lost is particularily hard to swallow.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Erdinger

Bernier nailing Megna was the highlight of the night. Didn't expect a win. I was surprised it took some serious bonehead plays to not get at least 1 point

Old
12-16-2013, 11:22 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
The results weren't there dude
The team needs a #1 center so bad it's not funny
He's ok as a #2 - but hell if you can package him for a legit #1 go for it
This team needs to show up before when the game starts. And they need to skate and compete. One player isn't going to solve their problems, which has been the same through out. They're playing better, but they're still some complacent after they have good games. It's like they thought everything would be in cruise control after beating the blackhawks. We have better skaters, yet they out skated us.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
Poor game by us? Wtf?? The Leafs had plenty of good chances, Fleury just played really well. You're having a laugh if you think the Leafs didn't play well enough to win. It just didn't work out for us this time.
ya we had a lot of possession, but we were stuck to the perimeter. And the pens were just fine with that because you wont get a lot of scoring chances there. The times that we did get a nice chance from the slot, we missed the net.
In fact, the pens had more chances from the slot than we did, which is embarrassing.

Or maybe im crazy (and I could very well be). Can anyone post a shot chart for both teams?

Old
12-16-2013, 11:25 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Bernier nailing Megna was the highlight of the night. Didn't expect a win. I was surprised it took some serious bonehead plays to not get at least 1 point
You didn't expect a win? Did you even look at this pens lineup? It was bad; no Malkin, no Letang, no Orpik, no Neal. Pratically an ahl defencecore. This game was there for the taking.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:26 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
ya we had a lot of possession, but we were stuck to the perimeter. And the pens were just fine with that because you wont get a lot of scoring chances there. The times that we did get a nice chance from the slot, we missed the net.
In fact, the pens had more chances from the slot than we did, which is embarrassing.

Or maybe im crazy (and I could very well be). Can anyone post a shot chart for both teams?
Our two best slot chances weren't SOG. Kulemin missed the net and McClement hit the post.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Daisy Joy
Little Ms SassyLeaf

Quote:
Poor game by us? Wtf?? The Leafs had plenty of good chances, Fleury just played really well. You're having a laugh if you think the Leafs didn't play well enough to win. It just didn't work out for us this time.
i have to wonder sometimes if some people have the script in their heads and they try to force what they saw to match the script that imagined. (my Dad is SO like that).

i didn't see the first 1/2 of the first period. but apparently we started slow again. (there are a few teams in the league that do start slow - however they are better than us in a lot more facets, ie: St Louis so people don't harp on that - I would like our slow starts to change though, and we just come out with jump).

the second period was really good road hockey with a few mistakes - but that was on both sides.

the third period as well - good road hockey on both sides.

Gardiner made a mistake, yes.

but for me - it's not the fact that we lost (that sucks) - the points were there to be had - but for me - the team for the most part was sticking to the system (whatever the system is). I didn't see them turtle back, and the brain farting started near end of the period. (ie: all that dumping and chasing, whhyyy?)

re: of the "ahl"-ness of the team - their Goaltender and star player are world class. Fleury kept the in it, and Crosby had the game winner. the end.

i just want them to chalk it up to stick to the game plan and the wins will come. i'd rather them continue to play like this than to play loosey-goosey hockey (or crap hockey). you can build off the better/confident play.

[also - a good note - we're keeping the shots down.].

Old
12-16-2013, 11:36 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
i have to wonder sometimes if some people have the script in their heads and they try to force what they saw to match the script that imagined. (my Dad is SO like that).

i didn't see the first 1/2 of the first period. but apparently we started slow again. (there are a few teams in the league that do start slow - however they are better than us in a lot more facets, ie: St Louis so people don't harp on that - I would like our slow starts to change though, and we just come out with jump).

the second period was really good road hockey with a few mistakes - but that was on both sides.

the third period as well - good road hockey on both sides.

Gardiner made a mistake, yes.

but for me - it's not the fact that we lost (that sucks) - the points were there to be had - but for me - the team for the most part was sticking to the system (whatever the system is). I didn't see them turtle back, and the brain farting started near end of the period. (ie: all that dumping and chasing, whhyyy?)

re: of the "ahl"-ness of the team - their Goaltender and star player are world class. Fleury kept the in it, and Crosby had the game winner. the end.

i just want them to chalk it up to stick to the game plan and the wins will come. i'd rather them continue to play like this than to play loosey-goosey hockey (or crap hockey). you can build off the better/confident play.

[also - a good note - we're keeping the shots down.].

Its how you lose thats important. Blowing 3 goal leads in the 3rd period. Or getting blown out 6-2. These hurt. Tonights game you can take a lot of positives from. But if you want to be considered a contender you have to win these ones. All the excuses and lessons in the world don't matter in a result oriented game. Wins = Points

Old
12-16-2013, 11:36 PM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:

Old
12-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Are you trying to hit the 70 post mark in this thread too? I don't care about your made up subjective stats. The only stats I care about are wins and losses, and the Kadri line -4 and scoreless tonight.
Ummm... way to 100% contradict yourself. If the only stats you care about are wins and losses, why do you bring up that the Kadri line was -4? That's another (unreliable) stat besides wins and losses.

The Kadri line was not our biggest problem tonight, Gardiner had a great game but he made a bad play that ended up causing us a goal against.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Kessel-Kadri-JVR line was on for the empty net goal against so -3 of the -4 comes from there which doesn't really count....

You really like to use your own stats to prove your point without taking a single other stat into context.

Edit: Should also note that JVR was -2, if Kessel and Kadri weren't on the ice when he had a goal against... what does this have to do with Bozak as he wouldn't have been on the ice anyways.

Last edited by Community: 12-16-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old
12-16-2013, 11:43 PM
ALEXJD93
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Ummm... way to 100% contradict yourself. If the only stats you care about are wins and losses, why do you bring up that the Kadri line was -4? That's another (unreliable) stat besides wins and losses.

The Kadri line was not our biggest problem tonight, Gardiner had a great game but he made a bad play that ended up causing us a goal against.

Also, if I remember correctly, the Kessel-Kadri-JVR line was on for the empty net goal against so -3 of the -4 comes from there which doesn't really count....

You really like to use your own stats to prove your point without taking a single other stat into context.
Exactly what he accused me of doing, great post.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:43 PM
ECanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post

If Bozak was out there, he would have made a save on the empty net goal. Probably, a plus 4 by the end of the night.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
If Bozak was out there, he would have made a save on the empty net goal. Probably, a plus 4 by the end of the night.
That is exactly why Bozak has been a minus player in his entire NHL career in all seasons at the end of the season.

Kessel's best season in +/- was with Savard, they both had career years in that category at the same time. It is not like Savard is a +/- God like Bergeron or Chara. That is what you call a good fit. Not a C who has been dragging him down all his time as a Leaf.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:46 PM
BayStreetBullies*

Probably doesn't mean much, but tonight's game was only the 7th time all season that Phaneuf finished a minus rating...7 games out of 33 GP.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:48 PM
thehealthyscratch

they played very well..rielly, phaneuf, gardiner in particular stood out.. but at the end of the day the leafs just weren't able to capitalize on their opportunities.. and we had quite a few in the 3rd.

I think if we play this way against the panthers we win... good to have clarkie back too.. is d'amigo injured??

Old
12-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
You didn't expect a win? Did you even look at this pens lineup? It was bad; no Malkin, no Letang, no Orpik, no Neal. Pratically an ahl defencecore. This game was there for the taking.
I never expect a win in Pittsburgh. Our D core (outside of Phaneuf) is hardly stellar.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:06 AM
frizzer1

Tonight they competed, something they rarely do, so I'm not disappointed. True Gardiner made a mistake or two but played well overall and he and reilly should anchor the defense for years to come.
As for Carlyle,old style coaches stick to their old strategies...Reilly and Gardiner should be on the PP but as long as Carlyle is here it will be Phaneuf and Franson...

Old
12-17-2013, 12:08 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Probably doesn't mean much, but tonight's game was only the 7th time all season that Phaneuf finished a minus rating...7 games out of 33 GP.
Yeah, overall has been good this year. Though man the last couple weeks haven't been his golden moments. How many goals has he scored/nearly scored on his own net in the past few games? Hopefully he shakes off whatever has been throwing him off and gets back to being the guy we can rely on with this defence.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:09 AM
frizzer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, overall has been good this year. Though man the last couple weeks haven't been his golden moments. How many goals has he scored/nearly scored on his own net in the past few games? Hopefully he shakes off whatever has been throwing him off and gets back to being the guy we can rely on with this defence.
I think Phaneuf has been quite good this year and they need his physical presence.
I just don't want him on the first PP unit.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:11 AM
SticksandStonez

Gaffes...Gaffes everywhere. Small mistakes and poor finishing led to tonight's loss. Each pp pairing should have a rusher and a shooter. And Idk bout you guys but that goal by Crosby..I thought that Bernier should have had that. This is one of numerous times that the puck has slipped thru that hybrid style of his. He's got to patch it up.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
You win some and you lose some.

We weren't expected to beat Chicago and we were likely to come out ahead tonight because of injuries but in the end it all balances out.

Had we lost to the team we should have and won this one it would be the same end result.

12-17-2013, 12:17 AM
RaskY
GLG

Our top guys simply didn't show up tonight. Kessel, van Riemsdyk, Lupul, and Kadri all had poor games. Kadri was 9 for 26 on the draw tonight, which brings me to my next point. We got dominated on the draw tonight, and always seemed to lose important face-offs in both defensive and offensive zones. It's the fundamentals of the game that this team needs to get a hold of. We lost multiple draws on multiple power-plays that ate half a minute of our PP time.

We competed with them, sure, but look at their roster tonight. We should've won this game.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:21 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzer1 View Post
I think Phaneuf has been quite good this year and they need his physical presence.
I just don't want him on the first PP unit.
Keep him on the first PP unit, just pair Rielly with him.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Our top guys simply didn't show up tonight. Kessel, van Riemsdyk, Lupul, and Kadri all had poor games. Kadri was 9 for 26 on the draw tonight, which brings me to my next point. We got dominated on the draw tonight, and always seemed to lose important face-offs in both defensive and offensive zones. It's the fundamentals of the game that this team needs to get a hold of. We lost multiple draws on multiple power-plays that ate half a minute of our PP time.

We competed with them, sure, but look at their roster tonight. We should've won this game.
You can't win consistently at the NHL level being weak down the middle and that is emphasized by face-off %.

Old
12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Celly Hard

Rielly was the best player on the ice in the 3rd period. Rushed the puck perfectly, great passes, and smart defensive plays.

Closed Thread