HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose 3-1

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2013, 09:00 PM
JackJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healy View Post
McClement had an excellent game
Except for the missed assignment on the game winner.

Old
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Its not like the best player in the world scored the game winning goal or anything.
it wasn't. it was his twin. Bob Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
The reality of playing well and coming up short? God forbid that ever happens in the game of hockey. #FireTonsofPuppies
like I said - we played a very good road win, and our offense seized up again. But we were playing well from when I came home anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Call it like it is. The Bertuzzo hit slowed the leafs momentum bad and Gardiner screwed it royally with that icing.
yeup. and yeup again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
lol this team is bipolar.
very

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot View Post
What did Lupul do? I must have missed it.
i'm not sure? unless they meant JVR?

Old
Milan90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
This seems to be the Leafs' problem. Can never string together strong efforts. It's like they have a great game like they did against Chicago and think to themselves "Great now I can take it easy the next few."

Leafs were so badly outworked tonight, by a team missing 2 of their top 3 forwards and almost their entire defense.
Uh we're missing 1/3 of our forwards. I'd say we had a damn solid game. We weren't out worked.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:01 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

leafs have played well now 3 of 4 games

can't complain, keep playing that way and we will win

Old
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapas View Post
Think you could call this a moral victory...the team matched Pittsburgh chance-for-chance all night and worked hard imo; Phaneuf, Gardiner and Bernier all had excellent games.
Not with all the guys missing from the Pens roster you can't. No Malkin, Neal, and a ton of their D. Quite frankly this was a game they needed to win and they couldn't muster more than a single goal. They needed to do a lot more to get a moral victory out of this game.

Old
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jot View Post
What did Lupul do? I must have missed it.
Took a stupid shot from a horrible angle with about 30seconds go to in the game on a 6v4 situation. His shot went wide and then it was scrummed for a few seconds, then Pitt scored.

Old
mcleex

The game was over the second we let Scrubtuzzo get away with that ******** TWICE
Fool me once Shane on you, fool me twice ..

Old
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
7-13 in the last 20 and still in the playoffs. #YouMadSis?
Yes, hang onto this for as long as you can. #WontLastMuchLonger

Old
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
This seems to be the Leafs' problem. Can never string together strong efforts. It's like they have a great game like they did against Chicago and think to themselves "Great now I can take it easy the next few."

Leafs were so badly outworked tonight, by a team missing 2 of their top 3 forwards and almost their entire defense.
I thought we played very well tonight. Gave the pens (and their b lineup) fits. A few breaks could have gone the other way.

Old
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Just dumb mistakes kill this team. Ranger vs the Kings and Gardiner tonight. Both times Bernier fails to make a key 3rd period save to bail his team out.

Just so much inconsistency with this team.

No adjustments made by the coaching staff. Fleury was killing the shoot ins and they kept going the same way.

Were the coaches out feeding the chickens during the intermissions provide some adjustments.

Oh and this team sucks balls with the goalie out...worse i have ever seen

how about watching the game? trust me it's good

leafs played well tonight but didn't win, happens

Old
Nithoniniel

A lot of fans here are too obsessed with individual mistakes. These happen, and they happen to all teams. You have Gardiner icing the puck, Phaneuf giving it up in the end, McClement losing the only guy we absolutely can't lose in the d zone. The only thing you can do is try to bring a good enough game to get yourself the margin to be able to handle such mistakes and still win.

Some people here seem to think that these mistakes are standouts. They are not. They just happen to be the ones that end up costing us.

Old
Wami
Chicken Lyfe'

vCash: 292
Kadri - 9/17 - 35%
Holland - 6 / 10 - 38%
Smith 3 - 3 - 50%
McClement - 14 - 11 - 56%

Old
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
no they had good effort

are we watchin the game here
I thought they were being beaten constantly 1-on-1 for the puck and just didn't match the Pens' effort level at all. The only line that did was the Kulemin-McClement-D'Amigo line, our top six looked like they were coasting at about 50% out there. Although at least Kadri threw some hits and drew some penalties, he was trying harder than the rest. Didn't manage to do anything worth mentioning with the puck, though.

I wonder who's brilliant strategy it was to dump the puck right to Fleury repeatedly with that last minute powerplay

Old
Mess
Global Moderator

19 year old Olli Maatta did an impressive defensively nullifying Phil Kessel. As our top line couldn't get many real scoring chances.

Dion was able to keep Crosby in check, as he scored the winner with Phaneuf on the bench.

Highlight of the game was Rielly's 1st NHL goal.

BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedEgg View Post
The guy has chances every game but can't bury it. He cycles the puck well, and is a decent stick checker. He wouldn't crack an egg throwing a hit
As a third liner who's playing defense, he just scored in two straight games prior to this one. If you're expecting a goal every night from a guy that plays his role, I don't know what to tell you.

Old
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
I'm pretty sure one decision in a game isn't the only reason we lost.

I don't recall people complaining about the 45 successful stretch passes that Jake made tonight.
It was a terrible play, no denying it. 45 stretch passes? Make things up much?

Old
12-16-2013, 09:03 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
I don't understand with the 2 extra men why we were trying to dump and chase! Especially when we are on the PP. The defensive team doesn't even need to actually get posession just tender tee's it up and it gets slapped out. Brutal
Boggles the mind. At least use diagonal dump ins to avoid the goaltender

Old
DemLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedEgg View Post
Just about done with kulemin and his stone hands. To much cash for a decent cycler. Soft on the body and misses open nets way to often.
Kulemin is not soft on the body at all.

Old
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Just dumb mistakes kill this team. Ranger vs the Kings and Gardiner tonight. Both times Bernier fails to make a key 3rd period save to bail his team out.
I would have liked to have seen a save there too, Fleury was making those types of stops all night. Another half-butterfly goal on Bernie too.

Old
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterCallSaul View Post
well, we're back to being inconsistent

we need a trade or coaching change badly to help push the reset button. come on nonis, do something
watch the game. we played well,

Old
htpwn

Another one that we probably should have, could have won that we let slip away. We were winning games like this early in the season, we're losing them now.

The defense played fine. Gardiner is going to get some heat, as he should, but he played a very good game minus those two shifts and has been arguably our best defenseman over the past while.

Third Line was great again. Kulemin... has to finish those. Hope D'Amigo's injury isn't serious but looks like we'll have yet another player to add to the injury list.

Bernier was fine.

The difference? For the umpteenth time over the past few weeks, the big boys did not show up. One Goal against that defense, against a goaltender that usually struggles against us (and wasn't great tonight), is not acceptable. Kessel's going to be making $8 million/year next year, where was he? JVR? Kadri? Lupul? None of them been at the top of their game for a while now (Lupul being the exception, with his 2 goal effort against Chicago).

The PP needs some work. Either put Rielly and Gardiner on the first pairing or put Rielly-Phaneuf/Gardiner-Franson. That Franson-Phaneuf pairing is fine when set up in the zone, but once the puck gets iced, they can never gain entry and setup. The effort for the backdoor pass in the last minute was pathetic: Enough with that. It worked at one time, it is not longer working. The points were wide open, use them.

As for the Pens depleted roster, don't underestimate the ability of players to raise their games. We've seen it countless times with this team. Players get injured, others get called up, and the team goes on a roll. When they come back, everybody sits back and the team goes on a skid. It wasn't because the team was better with all the injury replacement but everybody put in more of an effort. Plus, no team with Sidney Crosby is ever out of a game, as we saw tonight.

Florida tomorrow. A must win.

Old
MiniMoose

The chip and chase is not for us

Old
12-16-2013, 09:04 PM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Yes, hang onto this for as long as you can. #WontLastMuchLonger
Sorry for supporting my team. I know that offends bandwagoners like you.

Old
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Its not like the best player in the world scored the game winning goal or anything.
Keep making excuses for these losers bud. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Old
Daisy Joy
Jerry D'asigo

useless St Louis. Blah.

Closed Thread