HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Ward

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Alcoholica

vCash: 500
Jason Ward

In my opinion Jason Ward will be never the talent which Canadiens had found on him. He and Chad Kilger are two career which resemble themselves much. But to my greater regret they will finish their career like plumbers.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoholica
In my opinion Jason Ward will be never the talent which Canadiens had found on him. He and Chad Kilger are two career which resemble themselves much. But to my greater regret they will finish their career like plumbers.
Hopefully Jason will turn out to be a bit more intense than Chad has been and so far it looks like it might turn out that way, at least Ward doesn't seem afraid to throw a body check on a regular basis. And welcome to the board!

Old
09-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Marchy79

I think Chad and Jason are bonafide NHL'ers, and Jason I think will be the habs version of Eric Cole, a good grinder who took a while to get to the show, but when he did... he produced well, and is there to stay.
IMHO, if Jason Ward continues to play the game as he did last year, he'll be a key piece of this team in no time. I have feeling that Ward will be similar to Mike McPhee of the older days... a 40 - 50 point man who will never hurt you defensively, and is a key cog in the run down of the game.

Chad Kilger on the other hand is a question mark.
Interesting fact: 2 years ago, when Bert was in Vancouver, Crawford set up Bert in what position? That's right Third line centre, and his game took off.
Now, I DO know Kilger is not Bertuzzi... But I do think that we have not seen everything Kilger has to offer. I think Chad will be a regular producer sooner than later and it will be in Montreal because Bob was patient enough with him.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Go Habs Go

I think the worst thing Ward can be is an average grinder. Hopefully with time, he'll turn into a decent power forward. It took Bertuzzi some time to become the player that he is. Ward will never be Bertuzzi but hopefully he'll keep improving until the age of 26-27.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:51 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go
I think the worst thing Ward can be is an average grinder. Hopefully with time, he'll turn into a decent power forward. It took Bertuzzi some time to become the player that he is. Ward will never be Bertuzzi but hopefully he'll keep improving until the age of 26-27.

Ward hasn't had a good camp, but he should have a decent year anyhow.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Russeltown

Kilger is not a bad player at all. Kilger seems bad because he is not giving the same effort on 82 games.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Alcoholica

Precisely your point is the best thing which can arrived to them but in my opinion there is no chance that its occurs. Chad had several chances but it never seized it. Remember you 2 years ago when it played with koivu he did not do absolutely anything of good. This year Gainey signed him because he is not expensive. But in the content he doesn't have any talent. At least if he fought and struck the adversaries he would be useful.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Precisely your point is the best thing which can arrived to them but in my opinion there is no chance that its occurs. Chad had several chances but it never seized it. Remember you 2 years ago when it played with koivu he did not do absolutely anything of good. This year Gainey signed him because he is not expensive. But in the content he doesn't have any talent. At least if he fought and struck the adversaries he would be useful.
I see Kilger in a completely different light from you, so Ill agree to disagree.

I still see potential in Kilger's game, and I know he's had some rough nights... But some nights he plays with a fire under his back end... I think he'll be our Break out player this year, as Gainey gave him something that no other team gave him as of yet... a staring point. I feel that Kilger was rushed in to the NHL, therefore hindering his potential. When he first hit Montreal, I remember he was the toast of the town for the last few months here. Then came the constant line changes, and role reversals. One minute, Kilger was a first liner, making space for Koivu... next minute he was a 4th liner, crashing and banging.

Gainey this year went on record as to say he was to be 3rd line centre, (a role I think Kilger can be solid in). I feel he'll be a good player this year... with Sunny, and Ward (funny how all are considered almost first round busts ) Who knows, if Ribeiro fails in his role, maybe this line can do some damage for us.

Old
09-30-2003, 01:14 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Are you talking about when he arrived here and was GREAT? Didn't do anything? What games were you watching? The thing is he started the following season on the 4th line...

Old
09-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
But to my greater regret they will finish their career like plumbers.
Now that you mention it, I need to go to take a dump

Old
09-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Actually they are drastically different players with different reasons for why they've been labelled as busts.

Ward has suffered injury after injury, which has hindered his development considerably. His character and intensity levels have never been questioned on any level; his captaining Team Canada at the WJC is a testament towards his character. You will never find captains of Team Canada who are lacking in the character and intensity department.

On the other hand, the main criticism Kilger has received throughout his career is a lack of intensity and consistency. He doesn't show a lot of emotion on the ice and doesn't play with the same character that a Jason Ward brings.

I would not disagree with you if your point is that Ward will not likely become much more than a third liner. But that's OK. If he becomes a consistently strong third liner who can chip in 15 goals and 15-20 assists, while hitting everything that moves and generally wreaking havoc on the ice, I think he'll have been a successful first round draft pick.

Kilger on the other hand, is waiver-wire material and always will be in my mind. He's the type of player that will need to drastically improve if he's to remain on the Canadiens once the kids move up.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47
Ward hasn't had a good camp, but he should have a decent year anyhow.
I don't think Ward's had a particularly bad camp. His style of game is best displayed in the regular season. You don't want to run around in training camp drilling every one of your teammates when you're on a one-way contract and assured of a spot in the lineup. Nor do you really want to expend that type of energy and risk injury in preseason.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:19 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I don't think Ward's had a particularly bad camp. His style of game is best displayed in the regular season. You don't want to run around in training camp drilling every one of your teammates when you're on a one-way contract and assured of a spot in the lineup. Nor do you really want to expend that type of energy and risk injury in preseason.
I'd add to these comments that eventhough he was a dominant force in the AHL last year, it's not that easy for a guy who barely even played 50 games in his entire hockey career to adjust to the NHL skill level (he had not seen big league action since 1999). It might take some time before he gets his momentum and begins scoring a few goals here and there.

On the other hand, I agree, he has shown good signs of not letting up since the training camp started. Although I didn't really notice him for his offensive contribution, he has played with the same energy and determination he had shown when called up from the Dogs last season, IMO.

Old
09-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Kilger = total lack of agility! No hands, bad skating, no hockey sense, no scoring touch.. He only has size and is fast!

Ward = intensive, can play physical and win his battle along the board, nice hands, nice shot, nice scoring touch, great hockey sense...

Ward >>>> Kilger
Plekanec, to you everything is black and white.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:02 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Kilger = total lack of agility! No hands,bad skating, no hockey sense, no scoring touch.. He only has size and is fast!

Ward = intensive, can play physical and win his battle along the board, nice hands, nice shot, nice scoring touch, great hockey sense...

Ward >>>> Kilger
Simply too bad he's among the team's fastest skaters. But with your excellent logic, you sure noticed something other people didn't.

Old
09-30-2003, 04:54 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
you can be a fast but bad skater! Kilger miss total agility, bad mobility, bad balance...
Who cares about the way he skates? Mark Recchi doesn't skate well, but to me he's one of the greatest skaters in the league today.

Old
09-30-2003, 05:43 PM
caper13

jason ward

i think ward is going to be a big plus for the habs this year he is going to surprise a lot of people he also needs to be on the first or second line to be effective you cant stick him on the bottom lines and expect him to score lots of goals

Closed Thread