HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot is this year's obligatory enigma

Old
02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
mattyd99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think the moment you take him off of that line with Brassard and Zucc, his game is going to suffer. Was at the game last night and those three are incredible in the offensive zone and on the break out. They not only find each other with great passing, but the lanes that they skate are tremendous. The natural chemistry is hugely important for those three.
Goes to show how successful lines, or players, and even teams can be when the lines are kept the same over periods of time. The constant line juggling the last 3.5 years never gave guys the chances to build this kind of chemistry. It's good to see Pouliot putting it together here, especially after the benching.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 12:11 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Rumor has it they are naming a street after him outside the Garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKjEi o2 View Post
There really is no middle ground on HF. In November, some people actually preferred Pyatt over Pouliot and now we want to extend him for 4 years?

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Which is why I think all three should be re-signed.

Zucc to a 4-year deal
Brass to a 3-year deal
Poo to a 2-year deal
It's a bit of a gamble. You're giving extended deals to three players who play fantastically well together, but two of them are notoriously inconsistent players, and the other has had one fantastic 50 game stretch. However, with how well the three seem to play together, I think it's worth rolling the dice.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 12:20 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Which is why I think all three should be re-signed.

Zucc to a 4-year deal
Brass to a 3-year deal
Poo to a 2-year deal
Personally I'd go down a year on each

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 01:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's a bit of a gamble. You're giving extended deals to three players who play fantastically well together, but two of them are notoriously inconsistent players, and the other has had one fantastic 50 game stretch. However, with how well the three seem to play together, I think it's worth rolling the dice.
Pretty much my take on it.

Zucc: I am sold on him. Of the three, I think he's the safest - and he's a guy I would try to lock up to a long term deal, as I wrote in the appreciation thread. However, if I'm his agent, I tell him to sign a 4 year deal so he can be in Cally's shoes 4 years from now.

Brassard: I like more than most, but he is a bit of a risk. A three year deal is perfect. Provides some stability at center, but he can be moved if he doesn't work out and/or prospects push him out.

Pouliot: huge risk. But if you can get him for under $2.0MM on a 2-year deal, it's worth it for the chance that you can bottle this magic. If it doesn't work out, he's a fine 13th forward and the cap hit isn't terrible.

It is a risk, no question, but I would do it.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I don't see Pouliot as a fixture with Brassard and Zuccarello to be a long-term solution. He can definitely upgraded upon, and starting next season, those two are the anchors of our 2nd line.

That being said, I don't see why we shouldn't resign him. He's a 3rd line LW and, even though he won't be more, we still need that player on our roster next seaosn.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I really appreciate how well Poo has played for us. Really do.

So much so that I want Zuccarello locked up long term.
You got that right! Pouliot is, was and will continue to be wildly inconstant--he has been his whole career. I want to see what he does for the whole season, not just little bits of it, and I wouldn't give him more than another one year contract--even if he continues to score.

Zuccarello is the little engine that could on that line.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Zuccarello I'd like to give as long a contract to as possible. He's going to be a productive player well into his 30's.

Pouliot I'd like to sign to a deal similar to Boyle's.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 07:28 PM
jay from jersey

i have to say

i was against pouliot and wanted him gone as fast as possible. but in the last 2 months he has used his size effectively, gave an honest effort, and scored some timely goals for nyr. i will admit when im wrong and would like to give him his kudos. he still takes the bonehead penilty every now and then but thats the trade off. however, if he wants a great deal of money in the off season i do believe fast could give them similar numbers and similar style of play on a line with brassard and zuc. on a side note brassard has also impressed be. he has checked his ego and found his consistency. he even had praise for arniel after the winter classic. i believe he has earned and extension from the rangers. thought???

jay from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKjEi o2 View Post
There really is no middle ground on HF. In November, some people actually preferred Pyatt over Pouliot and now we want to extend him for 4 years?
I was an OG with Poo. I supported him during the beginning of the year. I wasn't a fan of the signing, but I liked the energy he brought. I'm surprised I haven't gotten into more fights about Poo not sucking.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay from jersey View Post
i was against pouliot and wanted him gone as fast as possible. but in the last 2 months he has used his size effectively, gave an honest effort,
He's done this all season. Not just the past two months. Dude plays balls out every night.

He's borderline ********, but always plays hard and uses his size.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:41 PM
jay from jersey

not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He's done this all season. Not just the past two months. Dude plays balls out every night.

He's borderline ********, but always plays hard and uses his size.
there were many games where he flat out didn't try. When AV was told to put players on notice he was on top of the list along with pyatt. i'm just hoping he can keep is rolling for as long as he can. as far as a 3 or 4 year deal i say no way. fast or miller can provide similar skill and effort. they just do not have his size.

jay from jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay from jersey View Post
there were many games where he flat out didn't try. When AV was told to put players on notice he was on top of the list along with pyatt. i'm just hoping he can keep is rolling for as long as he can. as far as a 3 or 4 year deal i say no way. fast or miller can provide similar skill and effort. they just do not have his size.
That's just flat out incorrect. You are equating not playing well to not trying. Poo ALWAYS tries out there. As mentioned, he has horrible hockey sense. So when he's bad, he's really bad. I haven't seem him play a single game where he wasn't trying.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Riverdale

I'd be down for re-signing Pouliot.

Having a very good season

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Came across this, thought it was worth the watch.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
Yeah, I wouldn't describe Pouliot as a lazy player.

Stupid on ice, yes.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 09:17 AM
DekeR

I like Poo's play lately. Playing near the crease and creating screens at the net is something of a rarity with the NYRs, plus having decent hands for a third liner with the salary to go along with that status is a good thing. Would like a deal under 2M and 2-3 yr deal, preferably a 2 yr deal to keep the juices flowing.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 07:25 PM
ColonialsHockey10

This thread title is still spot on.

In the beginning of the season he was horrible. The missing opportunities part was tough to stomach, but he was making some of the worst decisions with the puck I've ever seen.

Now he's not only scoring; he's busting his ass each and every shift. He's throwing his weight around and grinding in the corners.

He's truly a mystery.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Lua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Corsi showed he was a good player before the signing.
And his corsi relative QoC shows he hardly played opponents of NHL caliber. Pretty easy to get good #fancystats when you're playing behind Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, etc

That said, I think Pouliot has found a niche role playing in between Zuc and Brassard. I'd like to give him a raise and keep him around. We can win with him playing a secondary offensive role behind players that can create. He can finish. Pierre said he's playing his best hockey since Junior --- I think he's found a comfort zone.

Last edited by Lua: 02-11-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Lua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 09:26 PM
nikonsniper*

Zucc for 4-5 years.

Brass for 2-3

Poo on 1yrs

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote