HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official #40 Selection Thread: Michael Sauer

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Official #40 Selection Thread: Michael Sauer

or whichever pick comes next.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:17 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
my prediction is that Rangers will select T.J Hensick

He also played on same team as Al Montoya.

Smallish centre has good hands, great on-ice vision and speed to burn. Was the nation's top scoring freshman in his first season, then finished second in the CCHA last year. Likes to cruise through neutral zone and ability to shift into high gear in an instant keeps defencemen on their heels and makes him a dangerous forechecker. Solid playmaker who finds the open man in the offensive end and threads a soft pass. Deadly with some open ice on the PP, and always dangerous on the PK as he picks off passes with great anticipation and transitions from defence to offence lightning fast. Has a knack for always coming up big in important games. There will be question marks about his size and strength. Can be over-powered by physical forwards in d-zone. Opted-out of 2004 draft.
Projection: 2nd line centre for lower echelon club.
Style compares to: Mike York

Old
07-30-2005, 01:22 PM
Levitate

hensik is alright, but i think his game needs maturing. he's a puck hog a lot of times

Old
07-30-2005, 01:26 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Well, guess we wont be drafting the huge defensmen we were talking about the past week. Suprised they went in the first round.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Draft Guru

Joe Barnes?

Old
07-30-2005, 01:50 PM
Draft Guru

Mike Sauer?

Old
07-30-2005, 01:51 PM
DarthSather99

I hope they get a guy with offensive talent. Mikus or Hensick

Old
07-30-2005, 01:54 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Yup, we got the injured Mike Sauer.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:58 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

With the 45 pick, The Rangers select...NM we traded it to the Habs who got LATENDRESSE.

Old
07-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

there's a trade the rangers 45th pick disappeared from the teams pick page on NHL.com

Although it hasn't been updated yet, one can only assume its for the 56th pick and change. I really would like Mikus or Starkov.

Old
07-30-2005, 02:10 PM
bleedblue94

anyone have any info on Mike Sauer...im not familar with him at all

Old
07-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Melrose_Jr.

keep it in the specified thread. If there isn't one, start one and I'll stick it.

Old
07-30-2005, 03:08 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
NYR passed up up Latendresse, Sather what a mron and then look who they got now, Latendresse was suppose to be a top 10 at one point , yeah he dropped but had the size and talent to a top 6 fwd, and Sather passed.

He is just trying to help Canadian teams not the NYR's what an *******..

NYR could have had Staal and Latendresse....

Old
07-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
NYR passed up up Latendresse, Sather what a mron and then look who they got now, Latendresse was suppose to be a top 10 at one point , yeah he dropped but had the size and talent to a top 6 fwd, and Sather passed.

He is just trying to help Canadian teams not the NYR's what an *******..

NYR could have had Staal and Latendresse....
In a previous post by me:

What I gather year after year is that people tend to get REAL opinionated on stuff they aren't fit to comment on. I take it as this: At the beginning of the year, posters get an outlook on the next draft through various publications such as CSB, Redline, and McKeens. Because these people most likely don't see any or all of the players during the year they have those rankings CEMENTED in their heads. Thus when draft time rolls around Joe-Schmo can't fathom how some teams are reported to have Guillame Latendresse out of the first round. Just because they had seen him high in earlier rankings, he makes "their" first round however they push him down just a little to compensate just in case these teams are OMG...right. I'm willing to bet that Barnes is high on some lists ike you said. I'm also willing to bet that teams rankings don't coincide with whats commonplace on these boards.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Whawks33

Sauer info

Listed as 6'2" 198 lbs. Sauer has strong roots, his brother Kurt is former Anahiem Duck, now Avalanche defenseman. Kent Sauer played a number of years in the ECHL and his other brother who's first name is escaping me, played NFL football, and I beleive was on a Super Bowl winning team.

Clearly the biggest downside to Sauer right now are the question marks about his health. He is coming off surgery to both hips. His brother Kurt had the same surgery on one of his hips, and this is not so much an injury as congenital hip defect. He was interviewed by the local Winterhawks radio broadcaster in about February/March of this year, and said his hip was in less pain than it had been in quite sometime. This interview came before his second surgery, but, the surgery was scheduled. Sauer did say at the time he expected to be 100% for training camp this fall.

The upsides of Sauer: He is just plain solid. He plays his position is hardly ever caught out of position and does a number of things well. What I noticed the most about him was his leadership. He is constantly talking to his teammayes on and off the ice during the game. I fully expect him to end up as the Winterhawks team captain before he graduates to the Rangers. He plays a good mental game as well, and seldom makes mistakes, and as a 17yo rookie last season he stepped right into the Hawks top 4 defensemen. He was primarily paired with Braydon Coburn.

He isn't flashy, but he is very solid. Passes well, with good break out passing. He isn't an exceptional skater, but he doesn't lack either. His biggest assets are his mental game, his on ice vision and his leadership.

Provided he comes back from his surgeries, I think he'll be the Hawks clutch go to Dman this season. I expect him and Mikkelson to have break out years.

I think the Rangers will be very happy with Sauer.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:20 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I too was upset that we moved the pick when he was still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
In a previous post by me:

What I gather year after year is that people tend to get REAL opinionated on stuff they aren't fit to comment on. I take it as this: At the beginning of the year, posters get an outlook on the next draft through various publications such as CSB, Redline, and McKeens. Because these people most likely don't see any or all of the players during the year they have those rankings CEMENTED in their heads. Thus when draft time rolls around Joe-Schmo can't fathom how some teams are reported to have Guillame Latendresse out of the first round. Just because they had seen him high in earlier rankings, he makes "their" first round however they push him down just a little to compensate just in case these teams are OMG...right. I'm willing to bet that Barnes is high on some lists ike you said. I'm also willing to bet that teams rankings don't coincide with whats commonplace on these boards.
I really could care less that he dropped. We've made safe picks, by and large, over the past 3 drafts to a certain degree. At some point you need to role the dice on picking a player that has a potential huge upside. We had 3 second rounders. We used one to get a player we had no business thinking was going to fall into our laps with Staal. That left two 2nd rounders. Sauer is another nice, safe selection. Again nothing wrong with that, even though we now have a glut on the backline within the organization's prospect pool. The time was ripe to roll the dice on a player like Latendresse. Especially since he plays a position that we have a weakness in, LW.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Whawks33

http://www.winterhawks.com/index.php...d=58&Itemid=79

That will take you to the Winterhawks info page on Sauer.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:01 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whawks33
Listed as 6'2" 198 lbs. Sauer has strong roots, his brother Kurt is former Anahiem Duck, now Avalanche defenseman. Kent Sauer played a number of years in the ECHL and his other brother who's first name is escaping me, played NFL football, and I beleive was on a Super Bowl winning team.

Clearly the biggest downside to Sauer right now are the question marks about his health. He is coming off surgery to both hips. His brother Kurt had the same surgery on one of his hips, and this is not so much an injury as congenital hip defect. He was interviewed by the local Winterhawks radio broadcaster in about February/March of this year, and said his hip was in less pain than it had been in quite sometime. This interview came before his second surgery, but, the surgery was scheduled. Sauer did say at the time he expected to be 100% for training camp this fall.

The upsides of Sauer: He is just plain solid. He plays his position is hardly ever caught out of position and does a number of things well. What I noticed the most about him was his leadership. He is constantly talking to his teammayes on and off the ice during the game. I fully expect him to end up as the Winterhawks team captain before he graduates to the Rangers. He plays a good mental game as well, and seldom makes mistakes, and as a 17yo rookie last season he stepped right into the Hawks top 4 defensemen. He was primarily paired with Braydon Coburn.

He isn't flashy, but he is very solid. Passes well, with good break out passing. He isn't an exceptional skater, but he doesn't lack either. His biggest assets are his mental game, his on ice vision and his leadership.

Provided he comes back from his surgeries, I think he'll be the Hawks clutch go to Dman this season. I expect him and Mikkelson to have break out years.

I think the Rangers will be very happy with Sauer.

Is he physical, does he block shots well, fight?

Old
07-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Levitate

i like the pick...the rangers liked him a lot too and likened him to the pick when they got tyutin in the second round.

sounds like a solid all around player

Old
07-31-2005, 12:04 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The more I read about him the more im liking this pick. YoungGunz scouting said he would have pretty much been a sure bet for a 1st round pick if he wasnt injured, also said he will complelety recover from his hip surgery and will be at 100% a month before the 05-06 season. Played on the top dman pairing on his WHL team durning the 32 he was able to play this season.

YG Ranked him at #42
RLR Ranked him at #49
ISS Ranked him at #51

All pretty much said if he wasnt injured this past season that he would have been higher on there lists.

ISS saids he's the biggest draft wildcard. Style compares to Pavel Kubina.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 07-31-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old
07-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Whawks33

He's not a big fighter. 10 min in 32 games, and I don't think he ever got more than 2 min. He'll stick up for himself, but isn't one to drop the gloves to do so.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:40 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Whawks, I don't think anyone has properly thanked you for your input. Let me be the first. Thank you very much.

It sounds like we have taken a talented, intelligent player who is a real risk. I don't have a problem with that. The second round has question marks, and that's all there is to it. And I like my players to be intelligent.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Whawks33

your welcome HR Rookie...

I'm not sure when the Rangers rookie camp or whatever is relative to Winterhawks camp and preseason tournaments, but I will gladly post for all of you my general opinions and feelings relative to Sauer and recovery from his hip surgery. He's a huge part off the Hawks this season, so I know all us Hawks fans will be watching.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:10 PM
GraveyTrain09

If sather couldnt get staal, then he would have traded down to take sauer. So im looking at it this way- we got 2 first rounders

And since the rangers were looking for defense this year, coming away with sauer and staal is amazing

Old
07-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveyTrain09
If sather couldnt get staal, then he would have traded down to take sauer. So im looking at it this way- we got 2 first rounders

And since the rangers were looking for defense this year, coming away with sauer and staal is amazing
I dont like that the kid is hurt, and his brother has also had the same problems. Just like Byers last year, it runs in the family. Is there a reason we keep taking these kind of 2nd rounders?

Closed Thread