Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game thread: 9/30 - Bruins vs Devils, 7:05pm

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 05:56 PM
BruinsGoon

vCash: 500
.....I think we've stopped the bleeding.

Just got back from the game. I don't know how many of you had the oppritunity to get to tonite's game or got to hear it on radio, but I thought I would try to give my best review FYI.

First of all let me give you MassEnforcers "Three Stars Of The Game"

1. Felix Potvin - "The Cat" put in a very, very solid performance tonight. Look I can't explian it either. Potvin did not face any stand on your head saves, but he did make 28 very average to above average saves tonite. He seems to be getting in the right place at the right time and aligns himself with the shooter much better than I've previously heard. BTW, Steve Shields was all over himself during warm-up's, shooting himself for not stopping most of what was thrown at him.

2. Jeff Jillson - After watching Jillson for most of last season with Providence, I have probably been the most skeptical person on this board about his chances of making it with the Boston club this year. ladies and Gentlemen, I am now a Jillson believer. Tonite's performance will solidify Jillson's spot with the big club, if he hasn't landed it already. My only critizism, and I'm probably nit picking, is that he could still use a little work with bringing the puck up ice.

3. Zdenek Kutlak - Another P-Bruin who I've been very critical of in the past. Kutlak has made a 180 turn from what us P-Bruin fans have known for the past several years. Very solid work in the defesive zone especially in front of the net. He used the body very effectively, and punished anyone who dared to hang around the crease. With Boynton signed up, it looks as if there might not be room for Kutlak, but if I had to choose between Kutlak or Morrisonn. Shaone would be on the next Commuter Rail to Providence.

Honorable mention - The line of Thornton, Murray, Knuble. It took them approx. 2 minutes into the game to make the statement they wanted to make. Unfortunately, that's all you heard from them for the rest of the night.

GAME NOTES

LINES

The lines we're pretty consistent throughout the game with a few changes here and there mostly on the PP and PK.

Murray-Thornton-Knuble - After the goal in the first, you hardly heard from this line. Sully was quick to substitute Samsonov for Knuble which was pretty consistent for the rest of the game.

Samsonov(Knuble)-Bergeron-Huml - Clearly, the best line to watch tonight. The most scoring chances by far. Bergeron fits very well with the likes of Samsonov and Huml.

Samuelsson-Donato-McCarthy - Ho hum, a few minor scuffles, that's it.

Zinovjev-Nowak-Grosek - Nowak is a better face-off guy than people give him credit for. Nothing special form Zino and Grosek.

By far, the defense was the story of tonite's game with the exception of Morrissonn, who at times, looked very out of place and lacksidasical. He got beat far too many times and made some god awful turnovers throughout the game. Tonite's performance will by no means help his case for a spot. There were alot of changes in pairings but it started as:

Moran-McGillis
Jillson-Kutlak
Morrissonn-Jurcina

Jillson and Kutlak just looked great. Moran waited until the middle of the 3rd period to start using the body. McGillis had a pretty average game. Jurcina is just a massive intimidating figure. His mere presence just makes you cringe in your skates.

One thing that was very noticeable was the mere size of the Boston squad as compared to the Devils. I didn't have a chance to review that stat sheet but, we do have a very big team compared to the Devils squad.

Old
09-30-2003, 06:54 PM
BostonGrl819

Thanks for the great report MassEnforcer!

Anyone know why Stock wasn't playing???

Old
09-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Mass Enforcer and then some...

Great post, Mass Enforcer. It was a good exciting game, and the B's didn't mail it in for the most part. They played with a lot of edge: but the lack of offense is still troublesome. They had little trouble breaking through center ice vs. NJ without Stevens...but there were too many perimeter shots out of the paltry total. Good thing Brian "Bring Me my Sextant and Compass and I shall conceive of a Path towards Said Goalmouth, perhaps" Rolston wasn't in the lineup.

Murray-Thornton-Knuble: Muzz was great (the guy is officially MONEY in the BANK in my book...and he wore the A!), Knuble worked his butt off and got little help from linemates, Thornton played way too cute - it was exciting at times to see him "school" the NJ d, but he did it without any purpose! This is getting stale. He has got to learn to drive to the net with the puck, and shoot the darn thing from the slot.

Samsonov(Knuble)-Bergeron-Huml: Interesting combo, they had NJ running in circles and were pretty good defensively, thanks to Bergeron. Huml made his usual glaring mistakes, but overall he made the most plays happen defensively and offensively. Bergeron was AWESOME. He does everything but check hard, but he uses the body effectively, and that's even better! I have 100% faith in this guy. He's no kid in my book. Sammy was very very good...and he played the PP point rather well too.

Samuelsson-Donato-McCarthy: Samuelsson is a psychopathic little punk on the ice. He plastered the larger Colin White three times in the final shift. White left the game at the end with a leg injury! He's like Grosek with speed and a touch. Donato is slow, but better than McInnis by miles and was the best center on faceoffs! He was also okay on the PK. McCarthy did alot of little things well with great heart and effort, and brought a lot of toughness out there while still being responsible. I liked him. This could be our fourth line.

Zinovjev-Nowak-Grosek: I loved Zino. Great speed, great moves, great hands, and great vision for the play. However, he doesn't have great vision for his own placement. He got plastered and nearly decapitated a few times, and went into cherry picking mode often. Still, he was much much more than a Pavel Brendl type. He's got great game, and a 2 way game without a doubt!...but he should go to Providence to adjust to the smaller ice. The moment he shows greater comfort with the short sheet he should be called up permanently. I was bummed to see Nowak in the line up, but to be honest he showed much more than I've ever seen from Andy Hilbert in an NHL-esque game.

Moran-McGillis: McGillis looked a bit tentative (back still bad?), but he still brought the body and made good solid plays. Moran was actually very strong, and rushed the puck well too!

Jillson-Kutlak: Jillson was good in all facets of his game. Not excellent, but being good at everything should merit a roster spot with the B's.
I've always liked Kutlak, and he's shown a lot of growth. These are the two guys that should make the show.

Morrissonn-Jurcina: um, Morrisssonn wasn't good. However, a good year in Providence won't hurt him at all. I still believe he could be a good #4. He did pass well. Jurcina was good, but man he's as soft as Gill and he's awful on the point, like Gill. I mean, if you had put "Popovic" on the back of his jersey I would have thought "Cool, that's nice that he's got things back together and decided to give MOC a call."

Oh, and Potvin was terrific. He didn't go down too early. He made good saves, and made the great ones when needed. He covered his rebounds, and had great lateral movement. I was confident that he was going to get a shutout, which is odd considering how bad he's been lately; but I never doubted it. I can't remember feeling that way about a B's goalie in recent memory. However, NJ's shooting was pretty inacurate, Freisen and Langenfluffer weren't in the line up, and NJ's offense has been as lame as ours this preseason. I still kept thinking that this same team could get lit up by OTT, COL, STL...or even DET

Overall I'd go with this:
Murray Thornton Knuble
Samsonov Bergeron Huml/Lapointe
Zamuner Rolston Axelsson
Grosek Stock McCarthy

McGillis Boynton
OD Jillson
Gill Moran
Kutlak

Potvin
Raycroft

Old
10-01-2003, 01:41 AM
KC23

Rather impressive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
Great post, Mass Enforcer. It was a good exciting game, and the B's didn't mail it in for the most part. They played with a lot of edge: but the lack of offense is still troublesome. They had little trouble breaking through center ice vs. NJ without Stevens...but there were too many perimeter shots out of the paltry total. Good thing Brian "Bring Me my Sextant and Compass and I shall conceive of a Path towards Said Goalmouth, perhaps" Rolston wasn't in the lineup.

Murray-Thornton-Knuble: Muzz was great (the guy is officially MONEY in the BANK in my book...and he wore the A!), Knuble worked his butt off and got little help from linemates, Thornton played way too cute - it was exciting at times to see him "school" the NJ d, but he did it without any purpose! This is getting stale. He has got to learn to drive to the net with the puck, and shoot the darn thing from the slot.

Samsonov(Knuble)-Bergeron-Huml: Interesting combo, they had NJ running in circles and were pretty good defensively, thanks to Bergeron. Huml made his usual glaring mistakes, but overall he made the most plays happen defensively and offensively. Bergeron was AWESOME. He does everything but check hard, but he uses the body effectively, and that's even better! I have 100% faith in this guy. He's no kid in my book. Sammy was very very good...and he played the PP point rather well too.

Samuelsson-Donato-McCarthy: Samuelsson is a psychopathic little punk on the ice. He plastered the larger Colin White three times in the final shift. White left the game at the end with a leg injury! He's like Grosek with speed and a touch. Donato is slow, but better than McInnis by miles and was the best center on faceoffs! He was also okay on the PK. McCarthy did alot of little things well with great heart and effort, and brought a lot of toughness out there while still being responsible. I liked him. This could be our fourth line.

Zinovjev-Nowak-Grosek: I loved Zino. Great speed, great moves, great hands, and great vision for the play. However, he doesn't have great vision for his own placement. He got plastered and nearly decapitated a few times, and went into cherry picking mode often. Still, he was much much more than a Pavel Brendl type. He's got great game, and a 2 way game without a doubt!...but he should go to Providence to adjust to the smaller ice. The moment he shows greater comfort with the short sheet he should be called up permanently. I was bummed to see Nowak in the line up, but to be honest he showed much more than I've ever seen from Andy Hilbert in an NHL-esque game.

Moran-McGillis: McGillis looked a bit tentative (back still bad?), but he still brought the body and made good solid plays. Moran was actually very strong, and rushed the puck well too!

Jillson-Kutlak: Jillson was good in all facets of his game. Not excellent, but being good at everything should merit a roster spot with the B's.
I've always liked Kutlak, and he's shown a lot of growth. These are the two guys that should make the show.

Morrissonn-Jurcina: um, Morrisssonn wasn't good. However, a good year in Providence won't hurt him at all. I still believe he could be a good #4. He did pass well. Jurcina was good, but man he's as soft as Gill and he's awful on the point, like Gill. I mean, if you had put "Popovic" on the back of his jersey I would have thought "Cool, that's nice that he's got things back together and decided to give MOC a call."

Oh, and Potvin was terrific. He didn't go down too early. He made good saves, and made the great ones when needed. He covered his rebounds, and had great lateral movement. I was confident that he was going to get a shutout, which is odd considering how bad he's been lately; but I never doubted it. I can't remember feeling that way about a B's goalie in recent memory. However, NJ's shooting was pretty inacurate, Freisen and Langenfluffer weren't in the line up, and NJ's offense has been as lame as ours this preseason. I still kept thinking that this same team could get lit up by OTT, COL, STL...or even DET

Murray Thornton Knuble
Zamuner Rolston Axelsson
Grosek Stock McCarthy

McGillis Boynton
OD Jillson
Gill Moran
Kutlak

Potvin
Raycroft
I came away from the game rather impressed with the team. In the back of my mind I thought, here we go they are going to get lit up. But was quite pleased that they didn't.

Potvin - did make some great saves. He had alot of traffic in front of him. I was impressed because if the defense didn't get them out of there he did. He looked like he was chopping wood a few times...lol(I love front row seats)

McCarthy - does an incredible job checking. He had one hit, it sounded like a freight train coming at you.

Moran - looked quicker for some reason. He was in the right place at the right time and started playing the body more. And really took control of bringing up the puck.

Kutlak - played well, and really has progessed a great deal from last year. (He made fewer mistakes, and played the body much better)

Samsonov - his puck handling skills are so impressive! At one point in the second period he just weaved in and out of players in the offfensive zone for a good 30 - 40 seconds. It reminded me of coaching youth hockey when all the kids chase the coach and no one can get the puck.

OVerall the work ethic was there, they moved the puck out of the zone but at times it seemed as if the play never left our zone. And as others reported they need more offense. (They started to pick it up in the 3rd)

The only knock on Potvin tonight was his rebounds. He tended to let them out about 2 feet in front of the net. Luckily the defense cleared it out, but this may be a huge problem in the regular season.

Go Bruins!!!

Old
10-01-2003, 02:32 AM
skidmarks

Went to the game, as well. Samsonov was incredible. Seeing him in person made me realize how little TV does him justice. Also agree with KC23's assesment on Kutlak. Seems to be around the puck and making ALOT more plays than in the past couple years. Looks like Huml has maybe added a couple pounds and he hustled all night. All in all a pretty solid game, add to that the Boynton signing...a good night to be a Bruins fan.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:16 AM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Thanks for the reports everybody! It seems like the defense is finally coming together, now if the offense would get going, we'd be all set. You know, if someone had posted on Monday that the B's would sign Boynton AND Potvin would get a shutout on Tuesday, I think they would have got laughed off the board!

Old
10-01-2003, 04:08 AM
misterjaggers

I also caught the game. I like going to games at the D-D center except that their ****** and over-cranked loudspeaker system makes my ears ring...

Excellent insights from MassEnforcer and WickedBs! I agree, no question, Kutlak and Jilson belong with the big club....

I like Bergeron, too. He's a creative playmaker, but is he ready to handle the rigors of 82 games? That's hard to predict. I suspect that another season of juniors and some weight training might serve Bergeron's future better. (Plus, if there's a lockout, he can play next year in the AHL...)

My main comment: Zino is obviously talented and obviously struggling to get acclimated to the smaller rink, NHL-style play, the Bruin's system, the English language etc.

He plays responsible defense so he won't cost the big club any games if they keep him on the final roster.

I fear he has a one-way contract. If he doesn't make the roster, he goes back to Siberia and we may never see him again...

Old
10-01-2003, 04:27 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan

Murray Thornton Knuble
Zamuner Rolston Axelsson
Grosek Stock McCarthy

McGillis Boynton
OD Jillson
Gill Moran
Kutlak

Potvin
Raycroft
awesome post- entertaining and informative as hell; geez, Bergeron keeps getting raves- damn, I just can't believe a guy going 45th albeit in a deep draft makes it- well, makes it and is an NHL quality player. the more I read the more he sounds like he has Pederson/Oates characteristics to his game. Atleast I get to see him live the next two games

Closed Thread