HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Draft Day

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Panthers Draft Day

Sticky Please!

Panthers trade up from 29th to 20th to select LW Kendal McArdle.

For what it was, good pick... No real good defensemen available, and we needed depth on LW.

Old
07-30-2005, 02:20 PM
FlaPanthers7

and a goalie at 32, Tyler Plante! With a LW and a goalie, it looks like this draft is all about filling needs in our system.

Old
07-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Clint

Dany Roussin picked up by LA in the 2nd...

So much for that.

Old
07-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Clint

Panthers take RW Dan Collins in the 3rd... Don't know anything about him.

Crossbar?

Old
07-30-2005, 03:43 PM
TheCarneth

Send a message via AIM to TheCarneth
I like the pick of Collins. USA Today had him pegged in the 2nd round. I also found this bit of info on him.

#101 - DAN COLLINS: 18 years old and playing in his second season in Plymouth, Collins scored 25 goals with 21 assists for 46 points and 60 PIM's in 68 games last year. He also played last season for the United States in the Compuware 4-Nations Cup and in the World Under-18 Championships.

Scouting Report: "Collins has been maddening to watch over the past years because he has so much potential but hasn't put it all together. He is very adept at finding seams in the offensive zone making his very dangerous; however, his unwillingness to compete at times continues to concern us. He also has a tendency to avoid contact or go into traffic, which also raises some red flags. He has nevertheless improved his play away from the puck and his skill set makes him an intriguing prospect."

And in this interview, he is asked if he could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be? And his answer?...Miami!

http://www.whalersboosters.com/profiles/collins.htm

Old
07-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Le Golie

You got a really, really good goaltender in Tyler Plante. In my mind he's the second best goalie in this draft after Price (and he's closer to Price than many think). He'll be a big part of your future.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:51 PM
PanthersRule96

All in all I think we need to kind of reevaluate our "stereotypes of Keenan". We didnt go after any big hulking defensmen or any 3rd line average winger safe picks. To move up and get McArdle was phenomenal as personally I felt McArdle was the last player left from that "upper echelon" of draft picks and I believed there was a bit of a falloff after him, with Cogliano ONLY because of his size. Maybe Keenan was bluffing on Parent but I'm EXTREMELY happy with the drafting of McArdle. Taking Plante second round, I don't know, hes an excellent prospect and it depends on your preferences, personally Id rather have had us pick up JP Levasseur later on in the draft and pick some other prospect like Jackson or even Latendresse with the 32nd pick, someone who slipped, but Plante is very very good. Our 3rd round pick I really like from what I've read, its a guy with all the tools who hasnt quite put it together. Those are the 3rd round picks that are the best you can get, of course in the 3rd round you're probably more often than not going to get a player who never makes the NHL, but with a guy who has potential, if he turns out, he could be a major steal because Collins has the skill it says. I don't know who our other picks were except I know we grabbed a couple guys from the NH Jr Monarchs from the EJHL i believe it is. ANyone know anything about any of our other selections?

Old
07-30-2005, 10:28 PM
allin4466

you guys are going to love Tyler Plante. Hes a big skilled kid. I was at the same golf tournament with McCrimmon and the assistant coach the other day, and they both said that he has the best mental game they have ever seen in a goalie. After they got SMOKED in game 1 vs Calgary i think it was, an hour after the game, he was over it. They both also gush about the condition he is in, hes VERY athletic, and very flexible. There are a few minor tweaks he'll need to make in his game, but all in all, i think he'll have a good NHL career

Old
07-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Crossbar

http://www.forecaster.ca/denverpost/...raftID=10#4986

I think we did quite well for ourselves, trying as best we could to accomplish our goal of drafting the BPA with the Mcardle pick. The Tyler Plante pick was also another solid selection, I'm just glad we didn't squander our first 3 selections on any off the board players. Still a little disappointed we couldn't select a big physical defenseman.

LW - Kenndal Mcardle, Moose Jaw (WHL) -- Ranked 7th among NA skaters
G - Tyler Plante, Brandon (WHL) -- Ranked 3rd among NA goalies
RW - Dan Collins, Plymouth (OHL) -- Ranked 24th among NA skaters
LW - Olivier Legault, Lewiston (QMJHL) -- Ranked 224th among NA skaters
D - Matt Duffy, N.H. Jr Monarchs (EJHL) -- Ranked 127th among NA skaters
G - Brian Foster, N.H. Jr Monarchs (EJHL) -- Ranked 26th among NA goalies
D - Roman Derlyuk, Spartak St. Pet. (Russia) -- Not Ranked among Euro skaters
RW - Zach Bearson, Waterloo (USHL) -- Ranked 129th among NA skaters

BTW here are some pictures of Tyler Plante.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
Crossbar

Comments from Panther brass and McArdle

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

Quote:
"It was too good of an opportunity not to pursue," said Scott Luce. We were surprised he was there at 20. We realized we had an opportunity to get a player we valued higher than that".

CSS calls McArdle an explosive skater who is "extremely strong on his feet and not easily knocked off the puck" and "will stand up for his teammates and does not back away from any challengers." McArdle said he believes his strengths are quickness and hard work. As for his weaknesses? "I think any NHLer, if you look at their defensive game, it's something light years ahead of any junior player and something young players have to work on," he said. "That's probably something in my game [to work on] along with hockey sense."

Jacques Martin said McArdle's speed should be a huge asset with the league promising to cut down on obstruction. "With the way Kenndal plays, he's always going to be an attraction to a coach because he's hard-nosed and has speed," Luce said. "Realistically, he's going to have a good junior camp [and two more years in junior]. At that point in time he might be able to challenge for a spot in the NHL. But, realistically, for development, he'll be spending time in the AHL to fine-tune his game."

Old
07-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Heimy

Well, Olivier Legault "should" be the undisputed heavyweight champ based on where we took him. That seems a bit early for an enforcer.

Interesting to see we took two guys from the same club in defenseman Matt Duffy and netminder Brian Foster. They must have good chemistry.

I liked moving up for K-Mac. He's a quality LWer that plays with lots of jam and I've been ranting about how thin we are in that position for awhile.

I guess it's true that all goalies are at least 1/2 nuts if (as I read) Plante really taunts the fans of the opponents.

Dan Collins sounds like a classic boom or bust pick. The reports point to a very high ceiling but also sound like he doesn't aways play with the needed focus. If he can show up every game and prove he's got all the dots on his dice, we could like this gamble.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:48 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
you guys are going to love Tyler Plante. Hes a big skilled kid. I was at the same golf tournament with McCrimmon and the assistant coach the other day, and they both said that he has the best mental game they have ever seen in a goalie. After they got SMOKED in game 1 vs Calgary i think it was, an hour after the game, he was over it. They both also gush about the condition he is in, hes VERY athletic, and very flexible. There are a few minor tweaks he'll need to make in his game, but all in all, i think he'll have a good NHL career
allin, I know you are a Manitoba guy and you and I share an opinion about Plante. He's such a good athlete; he could easily turn out to be the very best goalie in this draft. Ever since he won the Air Canada Cup with his entire team on his back I've been waiting to see how high he got picked. I know he didn't get as much exposure as some goalies, but he is such a talented goaltender and such a pure winner that he will end up being a very good NHL player. I saw so many posts suggesting guys like Levasseur, Vincent and even Frazee were better than Plante, it's hillarious to see how under exposed he is. It is borderline ridiculous to consider any of those three goalies to be better than Plante in terms of potential.

If I'm a Florida fan, I love this pick.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:11 AM
Joe Hallenback

Alot of people will tell you that the only reason Plante had such a great season was because he played in front of a great team. While that is generally true you have to understand something about Brandon's sytle of play. They are a balls out offensive juggernaut who play with almost a 4th forward every other shift. Sometimes this great offensive juggernaut would be asleep and Plante would have to stand on his head facing 20 shots a period before the Beast woke. Compare that with another western league goalie who's draft stock went up in Kristopher Westblom of the ultra defensive trapping Kelowna Rockets. He might be lucky to see 5 shots a period from the outside. This guy is the real deal and will incubate nicely in Brandon and the minors cause you already have a great young goalie in Loungo. I hope Plante gets a chance to play in the World Juniors next year cause he is a big money goalie and has already proven that time after time.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
I guess it's true that all goalies are at least 1/2 nuts if (as I read) Plante really taunts the fans of the opponents.
Heimy, I've played goal in soccer and hockey. While the ball in soccer isn't as painful or hard coming at you, in both sports you have to be almost certifiable (screw the half nuts like you said) to sit in net and take shots at you all day.

And to think, DP's wife plays net against men.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:58 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

I really like this draft we had. We addressed some needs like our size/scoring from the LW in Mcardle, and our goalie depth with 2 selections in Plante and Foster. I too am dissapointed that we somehow couldn't address our lack of blue-line size right away, but I think that since this is probably our biggest need that we will definitley see Keenan take care of this problem once FA begins.

Overall good draft by Keenan and the scouts.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Crossbar

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...54801-sun.html

Quote:
Brandon Wheat Kings goalie Tyler Plante, who was born in Milwaukee, Wisc. but lived in Brandon the past few years, went to the Florida Panthers with the 32nd overall pick.

"Actually, I was watching Sidney Crosby's interview after the first round and saw my name appear in the background," said Plante, who watched the draft at his grandparents house in Brandon. "I wasn't expecting to go that high, but that's what happens with goalies, you never know where you're going to fit in. It's a great situation, especially getting to work with Roberto Luongo, who happened to be my favourite goalie in the first place. He's a great goaltender."

Old
07-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Lauser3*

Kenndal McArdle is a very good pick up for a team hurting on the LW side (for a while now IMO)...his stats:

KENNDAL McARDLE

Height: 5 feet 11 inches
Weight: 195 pounds
Position: Left Wing
Shoots: Left

League: WHL
Team: Moose Jaw Warriors (wears jersey #12)

Regular Season Stats:
126 games played
45 goals scored
45 assists
90 total points
-5 plus/minus
239 penalty minutes
12 fights

Playoff Stats:
15 games played
4 goals scored
2 assists
6 total points
-3 plus/minus
42 penalty minutes
2 fights

Old
07-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Crossbar

Not sure if anyone posted these in another thread, but here are two extensive Scouting Reports for Kenndal McArdle.

ISS Scouting Report
NHL hockey draft star rising

Old
08-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Crossbar

2005-Draft-Team-Grades

http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hoc...ft-team-grades

Quote:
FLORIDA PANTHERS

The Good
The Panthers moved up nine positions in Round 1 when they noticed that Kenndal McArdle was still available. This should prove to be an excellent decision, since McArdle is a perfect fit for the Mike Keenan-Jacques Martin regime.

The Bad
An organization that boasts the best young goaltender in hockey (Roberto Luongo) didn't need to spend two of eight picks on more goalie help. However, that's exactly what happened when Tyler Plante (32nd overall) and Brian Foster (161st) were selected.

The Unique
Fourth-round pick (93rd overall) Olivier Legault wasn't chosen for his scoring ability--he potted just one goal and totaled four points in 55 junior games with Lewiston (QMJHL) in 2004-05. Legault will be groomed as Florida's enforcer of the future.

The Grade: B
Apparently they think Luongo can never get hurt, Dan Blackburn anyone?

Old
08-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Crossbar

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7864

If anyone wants to read HF's interview with Al Murray, the Director of Amateur Scouting for the Los Angeles Kings, on why they drafted Roussin (3rd, 4th and 9th questions pertain to him).

Old
08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Crossbar

NCAA 2005 draft review

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7866

Quote:
The Florida Panthers selected some players who have opted to defer their NCAA enrollment until the fall of 2006. The Panthers selected three NCAA committed players, only one of whom will be playing in the NCAA this fall. University of Maine-bound defenseman Matt Duffy was selected 104th overall. The 104th selection came in a July 27th trade with Nashville that sent Darcy Hordichuk to the Predators. The two deferring NCAA committed selections that Florida chose were University of New Hampshire goaltending recruit Brian Foster taken 161st overall and University of Wisconsin recruit RW Zach Bearson going 224th overall.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Crossbar

Panthers 2005 draft review

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Nice job HF Staff.

Old
08-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Crossbar

WHL 2005 draft review

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

All 42 players listed, including Panther prospects Kenndal McArdle and Tyler Plante.

Closed Thread