HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

McKenzie on Expansion: Vegas and possibly beyond 32?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
Can we expect some announcement about an upcoming expansion in two weeks?
You have not idea how excited I became from seeing a post on BoH stating something could happen in two weeks!

Old
02-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko the Sane View Post
You have not idea how excited I became from seeing a post on BoH stating something could happen in two weeks!

You just had to go there.

Old
02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I'd like to go back to the few brief comments made about Milwaukee earlier in the thread, and ask these two questions:
1) What seriously is the potential that the Bucks might get relocated?
2) IF that happens, then could there be a potential that the NHL would get in and grab Milwaukee before the NBA might try to get back there?

Of course, the second question depends on the answer to the first.
When I made a stink about this possibility, it was more advocacy than potential. The goal in mind is to send a message that the NBA isn't what it was and the NHL can do something like that, making it a better investment.

I did have an issue with some others here (wanting to benefit from a Bucks move) who made Bradley Center sound outmoded and almost decrepit. I'm tending to think the NHL shouldn't always seek ALL the bells and whistles. However, to see some Milwaukee fans talk about BC, eh, my case there would be an uphill battle at best.

If the NHL decides the Bradley Center needs only a couple touch-ups, I like the chances of the scenario. Since that hasn't necessarily been the MO of the league, meh.

Old
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
1) What seriously is the potential that the Bucks might get relocated?
It's way too early to say because nobody knows how much money Kohl would put towards a new arena (all he's said is he'll make a sizable contribution) and nobody knows how the rest of it will be paid. A regional tax like Miller Park seems to be a no go already with 3 of the 5 counties already passing legislation to oppose a new tax or a continuation of the Miller Park tax.

Quote:
2) IF that happens, then could there be a potential that the NHL would get in and grab Milwaukee before the NBA might try to get back there?

Honestly, I think if the Bucks leave the city won't try to get them back and I don't think the NBA would really entertain it either. Whether that means the city goes after an NHL team, I have no idea but if the NBA leaves, I don't see it ever coming back.

Old
02-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Milwaukee or Houston... but I think there needs to be another team in the CTZ. You look at how the other sports are divided up... 10 CTZ teams in the NBA, 8 in MLB, 8 in NFL. 6 in NHL is a little strange.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:09 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko the Sane View Post
heh.... honestly forgot all about that mini-meme we had going here....

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
02-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Milwaukee or Houston... but I think there needs to be another team in the CTZ. You look at how the other sports are divided up... 10 CTZ teams in the NBA, 8 in MLB, 8 in NFL. 6 in NHL is a little strange.
What is the anagram for CTZ and what are you inferring?

Old
02-27-2014, 08:32 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
What is the anagram for CTZ and what are you inferring?
Central Time Zone

Old
02-27-2014, 09:31 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Art Thiel was with the trade mission Vancouver and the thought that QBC would get next relocation and the expansion teams would be Portland or Vegas

Old
02-27-2014, 09:37 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Art Thiel was with the trade mission Vancouver and the thought that QBC would get next relocation and the expansion teams would be Portland or Vegas
if it is Seattle and vegas for example wouldn't it be better to keep coyotes franchise in the western conference like portland for example.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Care to remind me who Art Thiel is again and his role in the NHL to Seattle? Just curious to know why he thinks his thoughts re: expansion/relo ?

Old
02-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
That'd be a real slap in the face. Since there may not be a relocation for a looooong time with the way the nhl helps southbelt teams.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:51 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
That'd be a real slap in the face. Since there may not be a relocation for a looooong time with the way the nhl helps southbelt teams.
Coyotes aren't staying in 5 years if that out clause is invoke. The issue is with relocation its kinda hard to predict where they end it up cause if they sell to someone that wants Portland then quebec city is out of lock.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:55 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Coyotes aren't staying in 5 years if that out clause is invoke. The issue is with relocation its kinda hard to predict where they end it up cause if they sell to someone that wants Portland then quebec city is out of lock.
I dont know about you. But five years is a long time.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:01 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
I dont know about you. But five years is a long time.
5 years is nothing compared to how long i have waited so far to potentially finally see a NHL ready arena built in seattle.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
5 years is nothing compared to how long i have waited so far to potentially finally see a NHL ready arena built in seattle.
Pffff... Cry me a river! Seattle already has plenty of sports teams. And you can go to Vancouver for hockey.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Easy now...

Anyway... are we sure Art's got his bearings straight here? I mean, it just seems even more a long shot with what he's stating than what we've surmised so far

Old
02-27-2014, 10:22 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Easy now...

Anyway... are we sure Art's got his bearings straight here? I mean, it just seems even more a long shot with what he's stating than what we've surmised so far
That's the question. He isn't exactly well like by the seattle sports fans myself included.

He's tends to be the negative nilly type. I think he pushed the vegas idea before.

Although on the ownership front for seattle he's the 2nd to mention Balmer as a ownership possiblity for seattle. Not sure if he's hearing that himself or he got that from Baker.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Highstyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stator View Post
I don't see Vegas at all. Who spends that kind of money to vacation over there for a hockey game?
People go there to get away from hockey. Seattle and Kitchener Ont. Move NJ to Hamilton. Toronto squawks, they know diddley about Economics

Old
02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Highstyx

Quote:
Pffff... Cry me a river! Seattle already has plenty of sports teams. And you can go to Vancouver for hockey.
Seattle would work very well. So would Portland. 3.4 million in Seattle. 2 mill in Portland. Kitchener only half a mill' but they'd fill the barn

Seattle also lost the Sonics. [MOD]

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 02-27-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Last part not needed
Old
02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Care to remind me who Art Thiel is again and his role in the NHL to Seattle? Just curious to know why he thinks his thoughts re: expansion/relo ?
He's a former Seattle PI newspaper writer that operates his own sports news site. He's somewhat like i said a negative type when it has come to the sodo arena issue. The fact he wasn't negative in terms of yesterdays Vancouver event is shocking.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
He's a former Seattle PI newspaper writer that operates his own sports news site. He's somewhat like i said a negative type when it has come to the sodo arena issue. The fact he wasn't negative in terms of yesterdays Vancouver event is shocking.
Thanks for the background. Re: his thoughts on other expansion/relo sites. Sounds to me it's more or less his opinion as opposed to having any inside knowledge.

Sounds like he's seeing the light on the sodo front so that's sounds pretty encouraging.

Old
02-27-2014, 10:59 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Thanks for the background. Re: his thoughts on other expansion/relo sites. Sounds to me it's more or less his opinion as opposed to having any inside knowledge.

Sounds like he's seeing the light on the sodo front so that's sounds pretty encouraging.
I believe he said the superbowl win have cause him to change his mind on sports although some Seattle sports fans kinda question that on that. So its a wait and see on future articles if the tone really changed.

Old
02-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
I believe he said the superbowl win have cause him to change his mind on sports although some Seattle sports fans kinda question that on that. So its a wait and see on future articles if the tone really changed.
Hahaha, I totally imagine him having his own "Christmas Carol" on Superbowl Sunday, and being visited by the ghosts of sports past (Sonics), present (Seahawks) and future (NHL). And finally liking sports and getting into the spirit of the Superbowl.

Now that I think about it, that should be a movie!

Old
02-27-2014, 11:16 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Hahaha, I totally imagine him having his own "Christmas Carol" on Superbowl Sunday, and being visited by the ghosts of sports past (Sonics), present (Seahawks) and future (NHL). And finally liking sports and getting into the spirit of the Superbowl.

Now that I think about it, that should be a movie!
You kinda have it spot on in regards to him.

Closed Thread