HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Oneill to Toronto done deal

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

vCash: 500
U guys steal the show today

Good ****ing deal .

Old
07-30-2005, 08:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
But Mess, how much more are we going to need? Do you see a lot of our UFAs not coming back? A nice addition to the blue line would be great, but how many do you think JFJ will be looking for up front? Who's out in your opinion: Joe? Gary? Alex? I don't believe they would go outside to replace Tie, so I don't see them replacing too much more unless one of those 3 are going somewhere.

BTW, on the topic of the thread, I think this is a good move, especially for a 4th. Probably would not have gotten him any cheaper as an UFA, so a 4th isn't a lot to save some cap room.
Well currently the Leafs have 4 forwards under contract Sundin, Tucker, Stajan and O'Neill and nothing official yet but he TO paper claims Ant and Poni got qualifying offers .. So even if you count them then you still need 6 starters and a spare or two ..

The defense looks more complete but could use another full time player for sure ..

So we still need players .. We will see who those are .. Roberts and Newy may be a couple ..

So I guess we will have to see ..

Old
07-30-2005, 08:34 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Well currently the Leafs have 4 forwards under contract Sundin, Tucker, Stajan and O'Neill and nothing official yet but he TO paper claims Ant and Poni got qualifying offers .. So even if you count them then you still need 6 starters and a spare or two ..

The defense looks more complete but could use another full time player for sure ..

So we still need players .. We will see who those are .. Roberts and Newy may be a couple ..

So I guess we will have to see ..
I guess I was asking if you think any of those guys won't be back. I know they aren't under contract, but do you think Roberts and Newy are back? I'm not sure on Mogs; too much question on health/age/desire. Despite their ages, I'd still like to see Roberts and Newy back for another year.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I guess I was asking if you think any of those guys won't be back. I know they aren't under contract, but do you think Roberts and Newy are back? I'm not sure on Mogs; too much question on health/age/desire. Despite their ages, I'd still like to see Roberts and Newy back for another year.
I can't imagine the leafs without Newy and Roberts .. I like the idea of them back because they are both great leaders an role models for young players ..

I think both players will be retained post NHL careers in fact in the role of prospect development ..

The O'Neill deal virtually makes Roberts one of his best friends a huge lure to resign and we already know about Gary and Joe ..

Depends on what they want .. Hopefully $$$ will not be an issue ..

I think the odds are good they return IMO .. lets see if they attract other UFA as well .. Lindros, Murray and Allison are all rumoured to be interested in TO ..

Leafs don't have lots of cap room so it will be interesting if nothing else ..

Old
07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
If Mogilny can still skate hard, and fast, and has the desire.. I would love to have him back. Otherwise, I think it's time that he takes his bows and retires.

Roberts & Nieuwy, please come back. They can still play. The only knock on these guys is their age. And they both play like 25 year olds.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:46 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
I think Roberts is back now. Just a guess. If what Caniacforever said is true about him having off ice issues, plus with the recent death in his family, having Gary around might be beneficial...

I just hope Roberts doesnt ask for too much; should look at what O'Neill signed for and use that as a benchmark.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:49 PM
mogilny_2002

Great pick up for hte leafs, I'm excited to see Jeff in Toronto. Now they have 8 players signed, and a payroll of like 23 mill or so. They need to bring back a few people cheap (poni, antro etc). Gary and Joe I hope are back, but it doesn't leave us with much room to manuver.

I am interested to see how JFJ manages his cap room. Do we still have room for a foote while trying to bring in a forward or 2? I have a hard time tryin to get the math to work when we still need 15 more guys.

All in all though, I am pleased and excited for the city of toronto to welcome jeff! Now on with August 1st!!

Old
07-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
I think Roberts is back now. Just a guess. If what Caniacforever said is true about him having off ice issues, plus with the recent death in his family, having Gary around might be beneficial...

I just hope Roberts doesnt ask for too much; should look at what O'Neill signed for and use that as a benchmark.
yup

Quote:
With the draft and the O'Neill deal done, Ferguson's next task is to get some key players signed before they become unrestricted free agents Monday. Three veteran forwards at the top of his list are Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk and Tie Domi.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...91&hubName=nhl

Old
07-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue

I think Tie needs to look at this signing too and realize what he is going to get.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Leafer4Life
Go Leafs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Leafer4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Leafer4Life
Welcome to Toronto, Jeff!

Old
BuppY

Can Anyone Please Confirm If O'neill Will Wear His Number 92? Beacuse I Want To Get The Jersey And I Want To Get It Now, I Can Get It Made For Me In A Day. :d

Old
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
yup
so he may not be looking for much outside of the organization beyond O'Neill. With the exception, I hope, of a strong d-man.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:14 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
But Mess, how much more are we going to need? Do you see a lot of our UFAs not coming back? A nice addition to the blue line would be great, but how many do you think JFJ will be looking for up front? Who's out in your opinion: Joe? Gary? Alex? I don't believe they would go outside to replace Tie, so I don't see them replacing too much more unless one of those 3 are going somewhere.

BTW, on the topic of the thread, I think this is a good move, especially for a 4th. Probably would not have gotten him any cheaper as an UFA, so a 4th isn't a lot to save some cap room.
I get the impression from your post that you think our roster is full. I don't know why that is. Even if all three (Domi, Nieuwy & Roberts) come back we still need to add a body.

Here's what I have

Sundin
Roberts
Nieuwy
O'neil
Tucker
Antropov
Poni
Domi
Stajan
Belak
Kilger

Even with the addition of Belak and Kilger we have 11 forwards. So we surely got room for 1 or 2 forwards provided that they come at O'Neil's price.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:27 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs
I get the impression from your post that you think our roster is full. I don't know why that is. Even if all three (Domi, Nieuwy & Roberts) come back we still need to add a body.

Here's what I have

Sundin
Roberts
Nieuwy
O'neil
Tucker
Antropov
Poni
Domi
Stajan
Belak
Kilger

Even with the addition of Belak and Kilger we have 11 forwards. So we surely got room for 1 or 2 forwards provided that they come at O'Neil's price.

Steen and Wellwood !!!!!!

I am not sure about Kilger and Belak either ..

Lets substitute Allison and Lindros shall we

Old
07-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Blue_and_White

If we can sign 2/3 of Murray, Lindros, Allison, I say we are set... well, plus another defenceman. Roberts and Neiuwendyk will be cheap, as will Domi. Allison and Murray is who I say. Anyone else agree? Foote, Allison, Murray and O'Neill would be enough additions, if we can afford them, as well as keep our top unrestricted free agents (Roberts, Neiuwendyk, maybe Mogilny) We would be a stellar team.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

I'm betting we get Jason Allison at a similar price.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Blue_and_White

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I'm betting we get Jason Allison at a similar price.
I agree... another steal, although he didn't seem all that confident on OTR.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Blue_and_White

I saw that we traded our 1st round pick in '91 who turned out to be Scott Niedermayer for Tom Kurvers. Who is Tom Kurvers, I'm too young to remember him, I was only 4 in the year.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:58 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

1.5 a yr
thats great

Old
07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Leaf Army

Obviously very excited to be getting O'Neill. He potentially could be a big part of the Leafs for many years to come.

A 3rd or 4th round pick is a hell of a lot better than some of the proposals we've heard for him the past couple of years.

Signing him for $1.5 is just icing on the cake.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
pspot

ive said this a bunch of times
the new CBA allows that the bonuses for a player who has played 400+ games and has missed somthing like 100 days in the past season (Allison qualifies) not to count against the cap
so if Allison really does want to play in TO he would accept a low base salary 1 or 1.5 per year contract with a high earnings potential in bonuses
that way the Leafs dont get screwed if he gets hurt and its really Allison who is taking the risk of probably less garaunteed money to play for the Leafs
but it would allow the team to still have significant cap room to get more players
Foote is a definite option as I think Leetch is gondi
I think Aucoin would be a serious addition as well and then the rest of the cap go towards the forwards who need some youth and speed so anyone come to mind? ....Novelseltsev might be worth a chance

Old
07-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Blue_and_White

Did you see what O'Neill said? He'd put a Maple Leafs jersey on for free to see what it feels like... something along those lines.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:03 PM
ToMaLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_and_White
I saw that we traded our 1st round pick in '91 who turned out to be Scott Niedermayer for Tom Kurvers. Who is Tom Kurvers, I'm too young to remember him, I was only 4 in the year.
Tom Kurvers is the defenseman we traded our first for in the year we could of had Lindros. Floyd Smith was the GM and absolutely ruined the Leafs. Then he made another terrible trade to get 2 old players so we wouldnt end up last (and draft Lindros) and make him really look like an idiot. But he sure did that anyway...But we still could of had Niedermayer. What a joke!!...Right to this day i still say its the worse trade ever.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:08 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:

Tom Kurvers was this big lanky center. Wasn't overly tough. Decent at face-offs. Could pass and score ok but nothing spectacular. Actually he was a lot like Linden but a bit on a smaller scale.

But you should be glad you were only 4 and were spared some of the most dismal years of being a Leaf fan.

I'm telling you it was downright depressing. We never won, people called us maple laughs. Even being one of the worst we couldn't even draft if our franchise depended on it. Some really dark years. I could get all misty eyed just talking about it

But not since Dryden and Quinn came to town.

Oops, went off topic. Just the name Tom Kurvers brings back a lot of memories. Somebody got a kleenex?

Old
07-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Did you see what O'Neill said? He'd put a Maple Leafs jersey on for free to see what it feels like... something along those lines.
I like this line ..

Quote:
For O'Neill, a native of Richmond Hills, Ont., it's a chance to play for the team he grew up watching.

''I'm as ecstatic as I can be,'' he said in a phone interview. ''I'm 20 minutes down the road from the rink.''

O'Neill was a thorn in Toronto's side during Carolina's run to the Stanley Cup final in 2002. He finished with 13 points in 22 games that post-season as the Hurricanes knocked off the Maple Leafs in the conference final before losing to Detroit in the Stanley Cup final. To help eliminate the Leafs was ironic since that was the team O'Neill would cheer during Toronto's playoff runs in the early 1990's.

''I hate to say it because I was drafted by Hartford, but I couldn't help cheering for Dougie Gilmour,'' O'Neill said. ''My whole family cheered for the Leafs all their lives.

''Secretly inside, I think they cheered for the Leafs a bit every time we played them.''

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131991&hubName=nhl
I guess he is finally home ..

Closed Thread