HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oneill to Toronto done deal

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 08:14 AM
It Kills Me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
If O'Neil scores a certain amount of goals I think we then owe the Canes a third round pick or something like that.

No higher then a third right? Then we are bandits.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:22 AM
pspot

one thing that has kind of not been discussed is O'neil vs Nolan
I really think that Nolan's contributions to the team are being under valued and that losing him is no big deal
now saying that Picking up O'neil for a 1/4 of the price alone is a great move
O'neil will bring more speed and energy then Nolan struggled to bring on a consistent basis, but the one thing that this team will lose is Nolan's clutch scoring he was always a player to step up when we needed him and i think a big reason why stuggled so much in the playoffs, Oneil will definetely have to prove himself there or another player step up to address that loss

Old
07-31-2005, 08:27 AM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML

No higher then a third right? Then we are bandits.
Bandits suck, I wanna be a Pirate!

Old
07-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs
I get the impression from your post that you think our roster is full. I don't know why that is. Even if all three (Domi, Nieuwy & Roberts) come back we still need to add a body.

Here's what I have

Sundin
Roberts
Nieuwy
O'neil
Tucker
Antropov
Poni
Domi
Stajan
Belak
Kilger

Even with the addition of Belak and Kilger we have 11 forwards. So we surely got room for 1 or 2 forwards provided that they come at O'Neil's price.
I guess I missed the announcement Mogilny was done as a Leaf, sorry. And my point was the holes would be filled from within. I don't believe too much more will be added before the trade deadline. But, as frankie likes to point out, I've been wrong before. I have no problem with adding another player up front (although I have no interest in Lindros) if we do, but I'll be shocked if we do anything (up front that is)

Old
07-31-2005, 10:26 AM
richardn

Finally, I am so happy that O'Neill is coming to the Leafs. I had a reall strong belief that we were going to get him. But I had no idea he would be as cheap as 1.5 Million and to lose a fourth rounder next year for him is a major steal. Other GM's got to be sitting arround looking at lists of players who they think would go to their team for cheap. Man this is such good news, our team just got a lot better. With O'Neill we get a 29 year old bonified power forward who I believe still hasn't peaked his game yet. Jeff can do it all on the ice. Now it is time to get Lindros for that same price. I also wonder how much we could get Gonchar or Foote now?

Old
07-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Augustus

This was a great trade given that we are losing no personnel and only a third round draft choice for a potential 30 goal scorer on the right wing where we have become thin. I don't see any downside even if O'Neill's recent decline continues and results in "only" a 20 goal season. Not many third rounders score 20 goals in the NHL. He is only 29 and could provide solid scoring for the next five to 10 years.

It is nice to finally get someone under 35 for only a draft choice, and only a third rounder at that.

Well done, Fergy.

Tough darts, basketball loving Carolina.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Wow. Great deal JFJ!

Brought in one of my favourite players for cheap

Old
07-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Timmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Tom Kurvers was this big lanky center. Wasn't overly tough. Decent at face-offs. Could pass and score ok but nothing spectacular. Actually he was a lot like Linden but a bit on a smaller scale.
Tom Kurvers was a Defenceman. He was 6'2", 195 lbs, a puck moving defenseman that was not too bad really but hardly worth the price given most of us knew we had little chance to make the playoffs.

The Leaf Brass tried to sell the fans that aquireing Kurvers early in the year (October) would make the team better, Enough so that they weren't in the Lindros Sweepstakes anyway.

He played 89 games for Toronto, scoring 15 goals and 40 Assisits, before he was traded to Vancouver in January 1991 for Brian Bradley.

That is who Tom Kurvers was.

(p.s. I remember much of this but I filled in the detals with "The Blue & White Book")

Old
07-31-2005, 11:26 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
Tom Kurvers was a Defenceman. He was 6'2", 195 lbs, a puck moving defenseman that was not too bad really but hardly worth the price given most of us knew we had little chance to make the playoffs.

The Leaf Brass tried to sell the fans that aquireing Kurvers early in the year (October) would make the team better, Enough so that they weren't in the Lindros Sweepstakes anyway.

He played 89 games for Toronto, scoring 15 goals and 40 Assisits, before he was traded to Vancouver in January 1991 for Brian Bradley.

That is who Tom Kurvers was.

(p.s. I remember much of this but I filled in the detals with "The Blue & White Book")
Thanx. Somebody already pointed out to me that I was thinking of Fergus and that is who I was describing.
I still can't believe they told me who I was thinking of. That was Crump.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Verbal Kint*

Holy Mother of God!

This is certainly some nice news to receive when I got back from my trip.

Just wow. I mean, his last season does worry me a bit but for 1.5 Million, thats a bargain for us.

Edit: Jesus, we got Rask too?

Hot damn, its a wonder my heart hasn't seized yet.

Edit Edit: Really sad to hear about the older O'Neill though. Horrible thing to happen. I hope it doesn't affect Jeff's play though as with any case, I do of course hope that he is able to recover from such a tragedy in any way he can, and if need be, hockey should be playing second fiddle. Hopefully however for both the Leafswand Jeff he'll be able to make it through these times without much trouble and will be fit to play, mentally, when october rolls around.

Last edited by Verbal Kint*: 08-01-2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old
08-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Joe and Gary are both 39 to start the season.

That has to be a concern.

Allison and Lindros both have injury histories, another concern.

If Joe and Gary came at a bargain price of say 1 million per, I'd say go for it.

Heck, if they can land, Eric, Jason, Gary, Joe for 5 million I'd be happy.

$9=Gary-Sundin-Jeff
$5=Jason-Joe-Eric
$3.5=Tucker-Antropov-Stajan
$1.5=Poni-Kilger-Domi
Forwards: $19

$5.8=Kaberle-McCabe
$2.4=Pilar-Klee
$1.5=Berg-Colaiacovo
0.5=Prospect D-man
Defense: $10.2

$5.1=Belfour-Tellqvist

Around $34.3 million
Personally I'd prefer.

Jason-Mats-Eric
Gary-Joe-Jeff

I think chemistry on the second line would be best and the first is a better mix of playmaking and finishing. But hey, if we do get Lindros and Allison, let Quinn experiment come October and find a combination that works.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:00 PM
FerrisRox

I don't understand all these people in the thread shocked the Leafs only surrendered a fourth rounder for O'Neill.

Some even said they would have parted with a first rounder to do the deal.

Don't you understand that Carolina was going to not qualify him and allow him to walk as a free agent today?

The 'Canes just got a fourth rounder for nothing. I don't understand why the Leafs did this trade at all. O'Neill has told anybody that would listen in the last few weeks that he wanted to join the Maple Leafs so if Ferguson had turned down this trade, he could have just signed O'Neill today as a free agent and held on to his fourth rounder.

It's not a comment on O'Neill has a player - he's a solid addition to the Leafs. But why give up a draft pick to have the 24 hour exclusive window to negotiate with a player who's already publically said he wants to play for your team?

I think Ferguson might have got hoodwinked here by the more veteran GM in Jim Rutherford.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I don't understand all these people in the thread shocked the Leafs only surrendered a fourth rounder for O'Neill.

Some even said they would have parted with a first rounder to do the deal.

Don't you understand that Carolina was going to not qualify him and allow him to walk as a free agent today?

The 'Canes just got a fourth rounder for nothing. I don't understand why the Leafs did this trade at all. O'Neill has told anybody that would listen in the last few weeks that he wanted to join the Maple Leafs so if Ferguson had turned down this trade, he could have just signed O'Neill today as a free agent and held on to his fourth rounder.

It's not a comment on O'Neill has a player - he's a solid addition to the Leafs. But why give up a draft pick to have the 24 hour exclusive window to negotiate with a player who's already publically said he wants to play for your team?

I think Ferguson might have got hoodwinked here by the more veteran GM in Jim Rutherford.
Simply because I'm sure there would have been other teams in the league willing to qualify O'Neill at his previous salary even if Carolina wasn't.

For example, Carolina could have traded his rights to Boston and then the Bruins could have qualified him and he wouldn't have become a UFA.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:48 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Simply because I'm sure there would have been other teams in the league willing to qualify O'Neill at his previous salary even if Carolina wasn't.

For example, Carolina could have traded his rights to Boston and then the Bruins could have qualified him and he wouldn't have become a UFA.
I think you over-estimate his worth.

I'm not sure many teams, with his troubles off the ice, would be willing to pay him $3 million a season in this current financial climate.

I think Fergy could have passed on the trade and O'Neill would have been bought out. If there was another team willing to take him and qualify him, then surely they could have outbid the Leafs in terms of the pick that was traded?

This was a one horse race. But Ferguson tossed in a pick anyway. I think Rutherford taught him a lesson in supply and demand.

Old
08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I think you over-estimate his worth.

I'm not sure many teams, with his troubles off the ice, would be willing to pay him $3 million a season in this current financial climate.

I think Fergy could have passed on the trade and O'Neill would have been bought out. If there was another team willing to take him and qualify him, then surely they could have outbid the Leafs in terms of the pick that was traded?

This was a one horse race. But Ferguson tossed in a pick anyway. I think Rutherford taught him a lesson in supply and demand.
Maybe you should take a look at what some teams are tossing out there for contracts ... the financial climate isn't what you suggest.

By going to Carolina JFj showed JO what he thought of him, and was repaid with a discount contract.

Closed Thread