HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

O'Neill traded to Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 05:21 PM
incawg

vCash: 500
I can't stand the leafs but I've got to admit this is a great deal. Even if Jeff doesn't return to his old form, 1.5mil is pretty reasonable.

Old
07-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
from what i can tell, the canes fans are far from enraged...and wanted him gone.
Looks like it, it's a far different cry from when we got Francis and I think some admitted that they cried.

Then again what was the alternative? not qualify him and let him go elsewhere for free?

I'm happy we got O'Niell, the 4th to guarentee he came here is fair.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM

Then again what was the alternative? not qualify him and let him go elsewhere for free?
Abitration was an alternative.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/cba_faq072205.html
For players who are earning more than $1.5 million in their prior year, Clubs will have the right to elect salary arbitration in lieu of making a Qualifying Offer.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I personally wanted him gone, but wish him the best of luck with Toronto.

As for their motivation behind the trade, trust me. They could have gone the bad PR way and went to arbitration and squeezed every thin dime out of this situation they possibly could. Instead, they do a guy down on his luck a favor and send him off to go play in his hometown to get his life, and his hockey game back together. Classy move by JR, but I hope he has his plan all together to get more scorers in here. He turned 12 draft picks in this past draft into 9 defensemen.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Abitration was an alternative.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/cba_faq072205.html
For players who are earning more than $1.5 million in their prior year, Clubs will have the right to elect salary arbitration in lieu of making a Qualifying Offer.
You win this round!

Old
07-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Baron Von Shark

1.5 for a O'Neil...NICE MOVE!

Old
07-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
from what i can tell, the canes fans are far from enraged...and wanted him gone.
I see their reactions...still, O'Neill for a 4th round pick? couldn't they have at least acquired a 2nd?

I dunno, to get a 4th for a guy who scored 30 goals as recently as 02-03 and is in his prime...just seems like they could have had a bit more.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

O'Neill signed for 1.5 a year, not out of the goodness of his heart, but, rather, to do whatever it took to become a Maple Leaf.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I love the NHL when it's back in business..

I'm very pleased with how today turned out. Got a decent goalie in Rask from the draft, and O'Niell. I can't wait for next weeks moves.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:16 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Malakhov:

Right you are, a very classy move by Carolina.
Shows what kind of person Mr.Rutherford is.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Coffey77

Great Move by TO. A 4th round pick is not much and O'Neill is a really good 2nd liner who once scored 40 goals. Plus he's making only $1.5 mil a year for 2 years which really helps Toronto since they have some hefty salaries.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:57 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Holy crap. If only more players could be like Jeff O'neil.
LOL, that was the statement of the year. If more players can be an egotistical alcoholic, then that's your thing. The only reason O'Neill signed that cheap is because it was Toronto. Anywhere else he wouldn't have been so "forgiving".

Good flipping riddance. Never liked the guy.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Hockeycanada*

Good signing by Toronto. If all the rumoured players that want to play in Toronto sign deals like O'Neill signed, Toronto could have a very good team this year.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:18 PM
latvianlightning

Send a message via AIM to latvianlightning
^^ Not all Canes fanes feel the same way. I for one, really like Jeff and he will be missed here. I wasn't upset as I was over the Francis trade but I did have Jack Johnson to offset the loss. If it were a normal offseason I might say we traded our most valuable offensive assest, but come Monday our roster will be drastically different, so who knows. But I wish him all the best and hope the change of scenery will be the shot in the arm he needed

Old
07-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Great Move by TO. A 4th round pick is not much and O'Neill is a really good 2nd liner who once scored 40 goals. Plus he's making only $1.5 mil a year for 2 years which really helps Toronto since they have some hefty salaries.
If he scores 40 goals again, I'd love to be the team that has him on their 2nd line

Old
07-31-2005, 12:19 AM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
Shows what kind of person Mr.Rutherford is.
As a fan of hockey and a Leaf fan, I have never heard anything bad about Rutherford by any posters, anyone TV personality or anything, very classy.

Old
07-31-2005, 04:43 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Holy crap. If only more players could be like Jeff O'neil.
What, overrated?

Old
07-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Toronto made a great deal here... most unfortunately .

Low cost both in price and salary. Great move for the Leafs.

Carolina did what the felt they had to do and really, O'Neill has been "on his way out" for a couple years now. They clearly weren't going to keep him, so anything is better than nothing and it seems obvious they were doing him a favor here.

Biggest non-buyout move of the offseason so far (besides Crosby being drafted).

Old
07-31-2005, 06:30 AM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
What, overrated?
Your just upset because you know his playoff beard will put Malkin's to shame

Old
07-31-2005, 07:06 AM
AlMo

Jeff O'Neill was a great pick up for a couple of reasons imo, they replace Nolan, but a get a little younger and pay only about a third of what Owen made, and it gives the Leafs a chance to make a last ditch effort to sign Jeff's good, Gary Roberts, who could also persuade Nieuwy to sign up.

O'Neill will most likely not hit that 40 goal mark here in Toronto, although I would love to see it, he should pop about 25 goals and I would be extremely pleased with that.

Next up:

Roberts
Nieuwendyk
Foote

Old
07-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo
Jeff O'Neill was a great pick up for a couple of reasons imo, they replace Nolan, but a get a little younger and pay only about a third of what Owen made, and it gives the Leafs a chance to make a last ditch effort to sign Jeff's good, Gary Roberts, who could also persuade Nieuwy to sign up.

O'Neill will most likely not hit that 40 goal mark here in Toronto, although I would love to see it, he should pop about 25 goals and I would be extremely pleased with that.

Next up:

Roberts
Nieuwendyk
Foote
That's a good realistic expectation of what you're going to get out of O'Neill. All this talk of returning to the 40 goal point is well, ridiculous in my opinion. As a person who watched that magical season unravel for him, a lot of it in person, i'd have to say that his 40 goal season had just as much to do with Ron Francis' playmaking ability and the flashy finesse of Sami Kapanen than it did with Jeff just breaking out. In reality, he's a 30 goal scorer. With all the targets and players to get icetime on Toronto, he's about a 25 goal scorer. To think anything else is honestly overrating his ability in my opinion.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:05 AM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
That's a good realistic expectation of what you're going to get out of O'Neill. All this talk of returning to the 40 goal point is well, ridiculous in my opinion. As a person who watched that magical season unravel for him, a lot of it in person, i'd have to say that his 40 goal season had just as much to do with Ron Francis' playmaking ability and the flashy finesse of Sami Kapanen than it did with Jeff just breaking out. In reality, he's a 30 goal scorer. With all the targets and players to get icetime on Toronto, he's about a 25 goal scorer. To think anything else is honestly overrating his ability in my opinion.
Probably though I think if he's paired with Sundin he has a shot at 30+, if he ends up on the 2nd line with Stajan, Antropov or Nieuwendyk it's probably 20-25ish.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

That is a real good trade for Toronto.

They may lose Nolan but add O'Neill for nothing

Old
07-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Original6

The canes got cheesed by this trade. They could have gotten way more for jeff. This man carried em to the Finals and was a 40 goal scorer. Everyone knows he wanted out and who could blame him, but for a guy who is only 29 and has a lot more years left they could have got a better deal. Way to go carolina!!!

Old
07-31-2005, 08:38 AM
Lobstertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
The canes got cheesed by this trade. They could have gotten way more for jeff. This man carried em to the Finals and was a 40 goal scorer. Everyone knows he wanted out and who could blame him, but for a guy who is only 29 and has a lot more years left they could have got a better deal. Way to go carolina!!!
They wern't going to qualify him, or they'd go to arbitration, which is always an ugly process.

We don't know who initiated talks, Fergy or Rutherford, though as others have said this was a win for all involved.

Carolina gets a pick that they wern't going to get

Toronto gets a 29 year old goal scoring power forward, I won't say young, but he's not old for a cheap price.

Jeff gets a chance to rekindle his career, at home, and possibly with a close friend and Mentor(Roberts) on his wing.

It was a classy move on the Canes part, and a great aqquisition for the Leafs.

Closed Thread