HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Price

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 02:39 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

vCash: 500
Trade Price

I don't quite now what sort of halucinogens the Habs' management was on today but its obvious #5 mistake Carey Price has to go. The team has no need or place for him but does need a big, rushing d-man (then again, who doesn't) or an offensive sparkplug. Can somone come up with a possible deal that helps solve this mistake?

Old
07-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Mikos87

I think Montreal took him thanks to the bluff by Muckler, if it was a bluff, you take a away the future number one from the leafs who liked him and might have traded up and the Sens, both divisional and national rivals, the Habs can trade him out west just to keep him from falling into the Sens or Leafs. And if Price works well for the Habs they get to keep him. Still with Brule there might have been a dumb move. But this imo was done to keep the sens from taking him, I think moves like this will be done more and more often to prevent your main competitors from becoming even stronger.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Peter Griffin

That's a pretty rediculous assumption. I highly doubt Montreal selected Price to keep him away from their rivals, they selected him because they felt he was the best player available. Teams aren't going to be wasting picks on prospects because their rival holds them in high regards, that's rediculous.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:05 PM
freakazoid

That is just stupid. You have 30 teams as your competitors, and more than one team in your division, and you waste a #5 pick (which they won't get to have again probably in a long time, barring a total collapse) to FORCE the Sens to draft Lee (who they wanted all along) and TO to draft Rask, who might easily wind up being better that Price. Plus the Habs have Theo and Danis. With Brule and Kopitar still available and Koivu getting up there in age and no notable center in the prospect pool, they pick Price! I am really dissapointed with the Habs' 1st round selections in the last 2 drafts. We could have had a strong foundation of Shremp and Kopitar/Brule at center, but... we don't.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I'm telling you, this ludicrous theory that Montreal drafted Price because they wanted to keep him out of Ottawa or Toronto is the most absurd thing I ever heard.

Trevor Timmins, head scout, talked about Price prior to the draft, saying he felt he was in the same talent range as Skille and the other consensus post Crosby top 4 (Brule/Pouliot/Ryan/Johnson).

Furthermore, it appears Montreal's pick was apparently Pouliot. Minny grabbed him one pick sooner (reminiscent of Minny picking Mikko Koivu just before Montreal got a chance to pick him), so they had to go to the next player on their list, which was Price.

The only reason the Habs drafted a goalie is precisely because their mantra has always been to draft the BPA, regardless of position. Price, to them, was the BPA at #5.

That being said, I won't hide the fact I was shocked to see them take Price. I was convinced Brule was a Hab as soon as I heard Minny take Pouliot.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Rowley Birkin

I would have taken Brule myself, but Price is not a bad pick. Since they stole Latendresse in the 2nd, i think the habs got a good draft, they got a good forward and the best goalie. If i was them i wouldn't complain.

Habs may be quite deep in net, but aside from Theodore, they don't have anyone with star potential. Price may have that.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:43 PM
onice

I'm not a happy Habs camper today, let me tell you.

I haven't seen all that much of Brule and what I saw of Price in the under 18 doesn't lend me to believe he's a top 5 pick. But Timmons is paid to make the tough choices.

But friggin' Latenderesse! This kid is another Terry Ryan, Matt Higgins or Jason ward (except alot worse). There's a Redline write-up floating around that says he's impossible to knock off the puck. Well, the reason that it's tough to knock him off the puck is cause he trips over the blue line. This kid skating is horrible but he's built like a tank. Well, that's the Habs idea of a power forward.

Meanwhile, we still have no defensive or power forward prospects.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Mikos87

Hypothetical man, calm down, you and I both think the pick makes no sense. In a cap world why not take the best goaltender in the draft to trade him later in a package for a better player to a team that wants him very badly and keep him going to a team that you will no doubt face many times once Price is established. Think of it this way Price is still in the dub two year from now and looks to be a good goaltender, the habs are trying to get a player out from out west to gear up for a deep playoff run, and that team in the west needs a young goaltender. They pick up the salary of the guy the habs want and that will help the Habs. Price becomes the best asset for the Habs at this moment. In a cap world things like this happen, a lot of manuvering over each team's best assets. This pick makes very little sense for the habs at five unless some sort of movement planned ahead. We haven't seen the NBA like trades where one team drafts a guy that another team likes to trade him, and I doubt we will. But this is much more in line with the NFL.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:54 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

I was hoping for Brule up until I realized that we have enough 5'10 forwards.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
habs fans are whiners ..
Price is a legit goalie .. he's not coming from nowhere !
and as good as brule could be .. we have way too much small player like him !
IMO it was the 2nd best decision to select price .. the best solution would have been to trade down !
but to get Latendresse in the 2nd round is Jaw dropping !!
His skating is not bad at all !!
you have to see him play at his best to truly understand the potential this kid has !
IMO Price could become another Luongo/brodeur .. actually I like him more than Fleury who's all about skills but nothing in the head .. while Price is just so mature for his age incredible !! he's not even 18 and he's very humble and know what he have to do to reach the next level !!
another safe bet by the Habs and IMO the best player available !!

note: I really wanted Johnson or at worst .. Ryan.. Pouliot doesnt seem like a good character and brule is small and inconsistent ..could also become injury prone in the NHL!!

also to all people saying that the habs don't need a goalie !!
I disagree .. in 4 years when Theodore would be 34 years .. montreal will need another goalie to step in and I think Price would be more than qualified to replace him!!

good job Mr.Gainey !!

Old
07-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
habs fans are whiners ..
IMO it was the 2nd best decision to select price .. the best solution would have been to trade down !
you have to see him play at his best to truly understand the potential this kid has !
IMO Price could become another Luongo/brodeur .. actually I like him more than Fleury who's all about skills but nothing in the head .. while Price is just so mature for his age incredible !! he's not even 18 and he's very humble and know what he have to do to reach the next level !!

note: I really wanted Johnson or at worst .. Ryan.. Pouliot doesnt seem like a good character and brule is small and inconsistent ..could also become injury prone in the NHL!!

I disagree .. in 4 years when Theodore would be 34 years .. montreal will need another goalie to step in and I think Price would be more than qualified to replace him!!

good job Mr.Gainey !!
Agreed on all counts, from Habs fans being whiners, to the awesome pick-up of Latendresse in the 2nd round, to having wanted Johnson or Ryan, to Price being a safety net for if/when Theodore leaves, or if Theodore struggles the next few years.

I was very pleased with Montreal's entire draft, and don't feel that Price needs to be dealt, at least not right now. I'm happy to have him as another top prospect in the fold for us.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Traitor8

Price isn't going anywhere...he'll be ready in 3-4 maybe 5 yrs.... who knows what our goaltending situation will look like then. We have Theodore,Danis ..who else after?

Do you acutlaly think Halak,Michaud,Lindberg will be potentiel franchise goalies?

Old
07-30-2005, 10:10 PM
RE-HABS

Being a Hab fan I have to say this just proves to the fact that many Hab fans are chronic complainers and whiners and wouldn't have been happy if we took Crosby 1st overall if we were awarded with that pick.

Hab fans find reasons to complain about picks, prospects and players and will never be happy! How can you rate a draft this early, to see the true value of a draft one would have to wait 3-5 years...I hope the majority of the complainers are eating crow in a couple of years!

Theo is probably on his last contract (when he signs), Danis is good but isn't 20 (24 I believe) and Halak and Heino-Lindberg aren't rated or thought as #1 future goalies...where as Price is.

Plus if Montreal really needed to address their D, don't you think they would have taken more than 1 in this draft and wouldn't have waited till the last pick?

Complaints about the picks always piss me off because everyone of the complainers are sure fire "Bandwagon" fans when the player in question plays in the NHL or becomes a good player from the pick!

Its obvious Bob is going to address his D through UFA's and trade, like Brian Burke stated today "At a draft you don't address immediate needs, you collect assets...you address immediate needs through trade or signings"....wake up fans, we collecting assets.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
habs fans are whiners ..

good job Mr.Gainey !!
IMO Dannis is a #2 goalie...Price Could be a big time goalie in 5 or 6 years

Old
07-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Calorissi

This is a different spin on why Price was drafted.

I hear that there have been talks with Ottawa about aquiring Prusek to be the backup this year. Ottawa was very high on Price, so it could be that this is the base of a trade between Ottawa and the Habs.

Price + for Prusek + ?

Just a thought.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:49 PM
silver cup

I admit I was surprised by the pick but think about it...was the best defenseman available...no, was the best forward available...no, was the best goalie available...bingo! We now have great prospect depth at foward and goal and will probably address our defense with ufa's and in next years draft. Keep watching folks BG is building a winner

Old
07-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThedynamicDuo
IMO Dannis is a #2 goalie...Price Could be a big time goalie in 5 or 6 years
just in time to become a UFA

Old
07-31-2005, 12:24 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi
This is a different spin on why Price was drafted.

I hear that there have been talks with Ottawa about aquiring Prusek to be the backup this year. Ottawa was very high on Price, so it could be that this is the base of a trade between Ottawa and the Habs.

Price + for Prusek + ?

Just a thought.
eh? Why not just trade the pick + for Prusek + and let Ottawa take Price themselves then? Doesn't make any sense. Only a complete idiot like Mad Mike Milbury would use a potential trade as logic to determine who he's picking. People are looking way too much into this. Like the pick or not, he WAS the Habs BPA at #5. End of story.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:17 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87
I think Montreal took him thanks to the bluff by Muckler, if it was a bluff, you take a away the future number one from the leafs who liked him and might have traded up and the Sens, both divisional and national rivals, the Habs can trade him out west just to keep him from falling into the Sens or Leafs. And if Price works well for the Habs they get to keep him. Still with Brule there might have been a dumb move. But this imo was done to keep the sens from taking him, I think moves like this will be done more and more often to prevent your main competitors from becoming even stronger.
That is absolutely absurd! You really think Gainey is stupid enough to pick a player he doesn't want because Muckler said he liked him? To me it doesn't make sense, who the hell cares if Muckler did pick Price? Should their divisional counterparts all be shaking in their boots?

"Taking away the Leafs future #1", the Sens should worry about their own future number 1 as I see it Emery is not the next Patrick Roy

Old
07-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi
just in time to become a UFA
The guy has to play IN the NHL for 7 years before he become's UFA I'm saying he could step up in 5 or 6 years.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Calorissi

Hey the Prusek/Price deal was just a thought.

It seems, however, that it was not only my thought....
Take this with a grain of salt, (from Eklund's Hockey Rumors site:
'Then Montreal...skipping past an amazing kid in Gilbert Brule( a guy I thought would be off the board by Montreal) and snagging Price, a great goalie prospect, but the Habs have goalies for years to come. Then I talked to a source who said Montreal was told to pick up Price to move him as a part of a trade...but that trade never happened..at least not yet.'

Could it still happen, who knows.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Original6

Danis is going to be good I don't know why they didn't pick brule/kopitar. Good work gainey make the team a laughing stock of the draft.

Last edited by GKJ: 07-31-2005 at 10:49 PM. Reason: filter
Old
07-31-2005, 11:37 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThedynamicDuo
The guy has to play IN the NHL for 7 years before he become's UFA I'm saying he could step up in 5 or 6 years.
NOT TRUE

he will be a UFA at 27...

Old
07-31-2005, 11:38 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
Habs really F'd up. Danis is going to be good I don't know why they didn't pick brule/kopitar. Good work gainey make the team a laughing stock of the draft.
aaaaah come on

I think the Sens drafting Lee is a much bigger surprise

Price is good, no doubt about it. I also think we should have drafted Kopitar, as I really like him, but Price is not a bad pick in himself.

it's not a pick like Phoenix last year with Blake Wheeler.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:39 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi
Hey the Prusek/Price deal was just a thought.

It seems, however, that it was not only my thought....
Take this with a grain of salt, (from Eklund's Hockey Rumors site:
'Then Montreal...skipping past an amazing kid in Gilbert Brule( a guy I thought would be off the board by Montreal) and snagging Price, a great goalie prospect, but the Habs have goalies for years to come. Then I talked to a source who said Montreal was told to pick up Price to move him as a part of a trade...but that trade never happened..at least not yet.'

Could it still happen, who knows.
it's Eklund

Closed Thread