HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren McCarty, Martin Lapointe and Gary Roberts

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 02:55 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Darren McCarty, Martin Lapointe and Gary Roberts

Sat, July 30, 2005
Muckler in the market for some true grit

The Senators are hunting for grit on the NHL's free- agent market.

Sources say Senators GM John Muckler has an interest in Detroit's Darren McCarty, Boston's Martin Lapointe and Toronto's Gary Roberts, all of whom are eligible to hit the open market at midnight Monday.

While the Senators' priority is to retain their own players, they'd like to sign either McCarty, Lapointe or Roberts to fill a need for somebody who is willing to get his nose dirty come playoff time.

The interest in McCarty and Lapointe makes sense -- both were drafted by Senators coach Bryan Murray when he was the GM of the Red Wings. It's believed Lapointe was offered a one-year, $2-million (all terms US) deal by the Bruins, while McCarty was recently bought out by the Wings.

Roberts, meanwhile, has been a thorn in the Senators' side in the Battle of Ontario. All three are fierce competitors, but it's not believed the Senators can afford to get all of them under contract this summer.

"How can you not like any of those guys?" said a league source. "You look at those three names: Roberts, Lapointe or McCarty and you're looking at three guys who are going to make your team better."

Old
07-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Zopust

I like Roberts, obviously. He brings leadership, physicality and top 6 offense.

The other two guys wouldn't crack our top 2 lines, in my opinion.

Lapointe is a far cry from his Red Wing days and McCarty to me is just a slightly better Chris Neil.

Last edited by Zopust: 07-30-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old
07-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Charge_Seven

Odds on Roberts just got a little worse:

His dear friend Jeff O'Neill was just traded to, and signed with Toronto ($1,500,000 for two years). I don't think it's a coincedence that O'Neill signed for less to be here than he would have gotten other places (and not just the home town discount either).

You can always hope still, but I think with O'Neill being in Toronto now, Roberts will decide Toronto is the place to stay. Again, there's always still hope for you guys on him.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:23 PM
TexSen

Garrioch also had White going to Florida......sooooo....more typical Garrioch hot air. I don't see any of those three signing with the Sens.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Odds on Roberts just got a little worse:

His dear friend Jeff O'Neill was just traded to, and signed with Toronto ($1,500,000 for two years). I don't think it's a coincedence that O'Neill signed for less to be here than he would have gotten other places (and not just the home town discount either).

You can always hope still, but I think with O'Neill being in Toronto now, Roberts will decide Toronto is the place to stay. Again, there's always still hope for you guys on him.
Maybe they may have gotten better. I would think O'Neil would be an excellent replacement for Roberts, plus he is younger, costs less. It won't sting as bad now if he doesn't resign with the leafs. On the other hand it may push him to sign for $1M.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:42 PM
billberg

This just in: Garrioch's "league source" is Maggie the Monkey, as reported by Eklund.

Old
07-30-2005, 06:44 PM
billberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Maybe they may have gotten better. I would think O'Neil would be an excellent replacement for Roberts, plus he is younger, costs less. It won't sting as bad now if he doesn't resign with the leafs. On the other hand it may push him to sign for $1M.
Sportsnet reported he signed a two year deal worth 1.5M each year

Old
07-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billberg
Sportsnet reported he signed a two year deal worth 1.5M each year
Just to be clear. I meant it may push Roberts to sign for $1M (with the leafs) since O'neil is there for $1.5M (I would be hard pressed to see how the leafs would offer Roberts more than O'neil).

However if the Sens offer him $1.5-2M it might just make it, hence maybe the odds got better in Ottawa's favor.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:07 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

What about Martin Gelinas? Whats the word on him?

Old
07-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Bytown

There is some rumors that roberts wants to go to ottawa and help one of his best friends grow and teach him all he knows. and that beeing spezza.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:11 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

where have you heard these rumors? here on our board? lol

Old
08-01-2005, 10:32 AM
nneate

It's been rumored that Joe Thornton would look good in a senators uniform, thus will sign for free dry cleaning. This makes sense as he wants to help his dear friend and roomate Zdeno Chara.

See, their job is easy

Old
08-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nneate
It's been rumored that Joe Thornton would look good in a senators uniform, thus will sign for free dry cleaning. This makes sense as he wants to help his dear friend and roomate Zdeno Chara.

See, their job is easy
No way! Thorton will not go take anything less than a year's supply of "beaver tails" cooked fresh at Dow's Lake and delivered to his house by 10am daily!

Old
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
jamiebez

Roberts and Nieuwendyk just signed 2-year deals with Florida for $2.25M each.

A bit expensive, IMO, especially at a 2-year deal.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Gratt's

BRING ON McCARTY!!!!!!!

Old
08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Safir*

A little info on Lapointe:

Problem with Lapointe: one leg is longer than the other, so he has constant hamstring problems, and he requires a specialy fitted skate for one foot which doesn't always work and there were several times with the Bruins that he would flee the bench for a period while the skate was being fixed.

Another problem: he has absolutely stone hands. Yes, he scored 27 with Detroit. But so much good work that other players do comes to naught because the puck bounces off his granite touch.

Another problem: he's a motivator, but he's caustic with those that are moody and inconsistent. He'll basically run Savard off the team. While Lapointe "made" Patrice Bergeron, he ran Zinojviev off the team (okay, he deserved that) and he has been the anti-Thornton that has made his leadership development I think more difficult.

Another problem: he hits guys hard - after they've made the play: so I don't see the point to his game. It doesn't work anymore.

---> posted on the Thrashers board.

Old
08-01-2005, 05:07 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Roberts and Nieuwendyk to Florida, eh. Gives credence to the rumours that JMartin was constantly asking our GM's to get him a veteran warrior to put in the lineup. Doesn't surprise me at all that they ended up in Florida and I'm positive that Martin played a big part in that.

Old
08-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Lonnie Loach

Also confirms my view that Roberts wanted to sign with Ottawa (instead of Toronto) to play for Jacques, but the Sens just did not offer comparable money (and to be fair, they probably didn't have the money, either). Now, with Roberts, Niewendyke and a real goaltender it'll be fair to judge Jacques by his playoff record in Florida. Hands up all of you who can envision #8 Florida upsetting #1 Ottawa in the first round next year, adding (yet) another early playoff loss to Bryan Murray's coaching record.

Old
08-02-2005, 03:00 AM
sensens

I don't care much for the idea of either Lapointe or McCarty... I really don't see the reason for it, especially since it seems that we're already likely to be playing at least one of Smolinski, Varada, Schaefer or Vermette on the 4th line. If we want 3rd line toughness, I'd far rather see Scatchard brought in.

Does anyone else think that we might take a stab at someone like Vincent Damphousse for the 2nd line centre job? A Fisher-Damphousse-Hossa line would certainly be an interesting balance of skills, and Damphousse can bring legitimate top-6 ability, leadership, faceoff skills and great veteran presence to the table. Some will say he's too old, but he put up 7G/7A in 17GP for the Sharks in the 03/04 playoffs, and knows what it takes to elevate his game. He also brings another Cup ring to the locker room, and is notoriously durable (has played all 82 games in the past 3 seasons, and 4 of the past 5), which makes him something of a more practical veteran investment than most.

Old
08-02-2005, 03:33 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
McCarty would be a beast on this team. The Sens need more grit so that they can finally stop getting pushed around in the playoffs for once.

Old
08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94
McCarty would be a beast on this team. The Sens need more grit so that they can finally stop getting pushed around in the playoffs for once.
This is a myth that all people outside of Ottawa just buy into. The Sens lose due to a lack of scoring and clutch goaltending.

Thanks for stopping by.

Old
08-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Lonnie Loach

Thank you Zamboner. My sentiments exactly. And to that point, it really doesn't matter who the Sens and anyone else sign: If Hasek can be the Hasek of old for just one more playoff run, he will be the great equalizer come playoff time.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
bert

Well lol thats it i guess, all the guys the sens were looking for have been taken.

Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Gelinas, Holik and now Scatchard with the Bruins.

Good UFA season fellas.

Thank god we have a complete team already, imagine your team had tons of holes to fill the way UFA's are going.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:01 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Scratch Mccarthy, hes gone to the Flames.

Only player left is Martin Lapointe.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Hopefully Mucks gets the RFAs signed in time for there to be a cheap and worthwhile pickup or two still left on the market.

Closed Thread