HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-0 loss. Gagner rips off jersey to reveal Kings t-shirt

Old
12-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue31 View Post
When does the Eskimo season start?

Never mind.
Pitchers and catchers report in February, the Capitals should be....

Crap.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Da McBomb

vCash: 500
^ Yup, even with solid goaltending, this team can't win against top tier clubs.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
^ Yup, even with solid goaltending, this team can't win against top tier clubs.
I wouldn't have expected them to anyway. What I want is when we get solid goaltending that we can be competitive and beat the teams we should be beating.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
SometimesY
Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Hall, Perron, Arcobello, Gordon, Bryzgalov. Everyone else is fair game.
I would add Nuge and Gazdic

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:12 PM
ToeMcDrag83
5-14-6-1

I'm going to point a finger a Nugent-Hopkins. I thought he was absolutely awful last night. Tentative, stumbling, falling, outmatched, no offensive fire.

Isn't he supposed to be a playmaker? I've seen maybe two passes converted into a goal this year. His passing is extremely off. There's been absolutely no progression in his play, and I know he's coming off some major surgery, but holy hell it's 40 games into the season. Not even showing glimpses of some of the magic he had in his rookie year.

Is it me, or was the most confidence our young "stars" ever played with in all their rookie years/early years? Gagner, Hall, Nuge, Eberle... they were all making simpler decisions and their skill shone through. Now the all either overthink the play, or handle the puck too much or default to giving it away.

Our first overall talent is so underwhelming. Too much to ask that they can score on a breakaway or off a broken play even 5% of the time...

ToeMcDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:28 PM
fysloc

There was a game last night? And sunday night? Wtf I missed all the games.

But reading the boards, sure seems like it was a good thing to miss them.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
We brought in a coach that totally destroyed the progress the players were making he changed up everything from dressing room to game and he is a utter fail,
Sorry but this team hasn't made any real progress since year two with Renney

Cant believe people point to last year as an example of success being made

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:43 PM
McPoolParty
Jesse P for Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post

Under Kreuger: Way less GA per game, more wins, better PP, better play from Yakupov, Schultz, et al...
Am I missing anything?

McPoolParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:46 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post

Hall was a top 10 scorer, Yakupov lead his team in goals as a rookie, our special teams were elite and we were higher in the standings.

I don't see whats so hard to understand.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Under Kreuger: Way less GA per game, more wins, better PP, better play from Yakupov, Schultz, et al...
Am I missing anything?
Plus he was against ONLY western teams all year. The Oilers are getting destroyed by the west this season. Krueger probably would have had an over .500 team if he got the easy east games Eakins got. MacT messed up big time with the coaching change. We have to go 15-11-5 against the west now to match our record last year (that was only vs west). Considering we are 4-11-2 right now against the west and how we've looked in games against any non-crappy western team, that would be a monumental feat.

Not saying Krueger was an amazing coach. I would have liked us to get an established coach that isn't super old school and out of touch like Quinn, or just a yapper that is easy to tune out like Renney. Still, this team has definitely taken a pretty large step back even though we added a great player in Perron and Nuge has 2 working shoulders. Can blame goaltending a bit, but if you do that you also have to blame the dumb swarm that left guys wide open in the slot all night long when we were losing games early.

Last edited by oobga: 12-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.
oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
thinlizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
Gagner -3
I noticed that stat right off the hop. Terrible.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 240
you guys know what's going to happen don't you?

MacT will be replaced after this year by Messier and everyone will cream themselves that the Oilers are now being run by a true leader.
the sheep will then keep shelling out their money and nothing will change because as the Oilers are still a bad team that hires people that are not qualified or have enough experience.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
MikeModano9

Why put Gagner on the point at the end? Any player but him. Makes no sense. Muffin shot. Slow skater. Playing some of his worst hockey... Yea seems about right throw him on the point last man back.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
Why put Gagner on the point at the end? Any player but him. Makes no sense. Muffin shot. Slow skater. Playing some of his worst hockey... Yea seems about right throw him on the point last man back.
I constantly get frustrated with the pp lines.

NOBODY is used to their strengths. No one

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I constantly get frustrated with the pp lines.

NOBODY is used to their strengths. No one
Gotta love the eakins arrogance

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

MacT will be replaced after this year by Messier and everyone will cream themselves that the Oilers are now being run by a true leader.
the sheep will then keep shelling out their money and nothing will change because as the Oilers are still a bad team that hires people that are not qualified or have enough experience.
I'm not exactly a MacT hater or supporter at this point, probably more a supporter. Any way I was sitting on the throne last night during the 2nd intermission wondering what would a new GM do. What would Brian Burke do. What did I come up with you might ask, probably be another 3 or 4 months of nothing. Re-assessing so to speak.

At this point, I rather just stick with MacT and build on his successful moves. Hiring yet another GM does very little for us IMO.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm not exactly a MacT hater or supporter at this point, probably more a supporter. Any way I was sitting on the throne last night during the 2nd intermission wondering what would a new GM do. What would Brian Burke do. What did I come up with you might ask, probably be another 3 or 4 months of nothing. Re-assessing so to speak.

At this point, I rather just stick with MacT and build on his successful moves. Hiring yet another GM does very little for us IMO.
I think if a GM like Burke took over, one of the core guys would surely be moved to add more size and veteran help and players like Yakupov would be sent down to OKC to develop.

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
I think if a GM like Burke took over, one of the core guys would surely be moved to add more size and veteran help.
Probably, but very likely not until the offseason if you want to get maximum return on that asset. You can forget about obtaining size and veteran help at the trade deadline too, contending teams looking to load up for the playoffs want more of that, not less.

So I think what we'll see is 3-4 months of pruning around the edges and some unloading of pending UFAs like Hemsky and maybe Bryz if anyone wants him. If we're going to see any major overhaul, it'll be in the summer.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Am I missing anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hall was a top 10 scorer, Yakupov lead his team in goals as a rookie, our special teams were elite and we were higher in the standings.

I don't see whats so hard to understand.
Maybe that had something to do with all of our core players playing during the lock out and not taking a 6 month off season like 90% of the league did. Yet despite having every advantage heading into a lock out shortened season, we still started 6-7-3 after the first 30 days of the season, we still had the worst shot differential and worst 5v5 play in the league. At least Dubnyk could stop a puck last year and wasnt sporting a .891 save percentage and losing his starting job.

Add to the fact we finished the year going 3-9 and if it wasn't for winning the last two meaningless games of the season, we would of been drafting in the top 5 for sure.

But yes, individual success are good examples of actual team progress being made. I mean it's not like Yak wasn't extremely streaky last year and didn't score 30% of his goals in the final two games or that Hall is still not in the top 20 for ppg right now.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I think if a GM like Burke took over, one of the core guys would surely be moved to add more size and veteran help and players like Yakupov would be sent down to OKC to develop.
Why though, did he do that in CGY? He's made it clear they are only a move or two away from the playoffs and hasn't done much in his time there other than bring in Joe Colborne and officially fire Feaster.

Old
12-18-2013, 03:54 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

No, Mess takes over and everyone here yells "nepotism" over and over again.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Soliloquy of a Dogge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Compared to this:

Edmonton Oilers ‏
"We showed again we can play with this team... Two mistakes ended up in our net. Other than that we played a good game." - Jordan Eberle

**** off, Jordan.
Eberle sounds as stupid as he plays. Not entirely surprising.

Soliloquy of a Dogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
SometimesY
Fly

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
No, Mess takes over and everyone here yells "nepotism" over and over again.
How about we promote MacT to some random position, and hire Messier and Gretzky to run the team. Huddy back on the bench too, between Smith and Bucky. Esa Tikannen as well, to sit behind Perron and help develop him even more. Paul Coffey if he can fit on the bench. Players can just keep moving from sitting on the bench to standing behind it.

SometimesY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Eberle sounds as stupid as he plays. Not entirely surprising.
3-0 game with empty netter, in theory he's not far off that they can keep up with them. Then reality sets in and you have to realize there is more to the game than that.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SometimesY View Post
How about we promote MacT to some random position, and hire Messier and Gretzky to run the team. Huddy back on the bench too, between Smith and Bucky. Esa Tikannen as well, to sit behind Perron and help develop him even more. Paul Coffey if he can fit on the bench. Players can just keep moving from sitting on the bench to standing behind it.
Ice, bench, front office. I guess we have yet to see where they go after that. They don't seem to ever leave once they reach step 3.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote