HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-0 loss. Gagner rips off jersey to reveal Kings t-shirt

Old
12-18-2013, 03:55 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
I'm going to point a finger a Nugent-Hopkins. I thought he was absolutely awful last night. Tentative, stumbling, falling, outmatched, no offensive fire.

Isn't he supposed to be a playmaker? I've seen maybe two passes converted into a goal this year. His passing is extremely off. There's been absolutely no progression in his play, and I know he's coming off some major surgery, but holy hell it's 40 games into the season. Not even showing glimpses of some of the magic he had in his rookie year.

Is it me, or was the most confidence our young "stars" ever played with in all their rookie years/early years? Gagner, Hall, Nuge, Eberle... they were all making simpler decisions and their skill shone through. Now the all either overthink the play, or handle the puck too much or default to giving it away.

Our first overall talent is so underwhelming. Too much to ask that they can score on a breakaway or off a broken play even 5% of the time...
This seems so glaringly obvious to me and nobody really talks about it. Why do all of our players look like they have regressed? Why haven't any of them looked as good as they did in their rookie seasons?

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
thinlizzy

vCash: 500
Gags needs to sit out the next dance.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
This seems so glaringly obvious to me and nobody really talks about it. Why do all of our players look like they have regressed? Why haven't any of them looked as good as they did in their rookie seasons?
I've commented on this theme regularly. For instance when any one player is singled out for not making progress when really the entire team doesn't make any progress. What players here have improved?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Panda Bear

I think we can blame the lack of progression on our revolving door of coaches in conjunction with retaining poor assistant coaches.

Gagner got dealt MacTavish, Quinn, Renney, Krueger and now Eakins. Hall is lucky enough to only be on his third coach. As another example, Jeff Petry performed best in '11-12 under Renney.

I don't think we can point to any development successes for Buchberger or Smith. Why did we ever get rid of Charlie Huddy? Why aren't we trying to poach assistant coaches with proven track records of success like Montreal did by taking the Blackhawks' goalie coach this past season? Is it really any wonder that Crawford has dipped and Price has flourished?

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
Gags needs to sit out the next dance.
Guaranteed he'll get normal minutes, wouldn't be shocked at all if he plays more than his average TOI. Ego Eakins is a boss, ACCOUNTABILITY!!! (except only when Yakupov ****s up)

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Rafters

Hall needs to be better.....41 giveaways to 23 takeaways in 29 games ...he leads all NHL forwards in giveaways ....Kessel is 2nd with 38 in 36 games.....obviously creative offensive forwards have giveaways, but he is worse then any other forward in the NHL at giving away the puck......also only18 hits in 29 games....just brutal.....be leads the team in giveaways by 7 and has played 7 less games.....this team needs to learn how to manage the puck and stop shooting themselves in the foot over and over....giveaway after giveaway....followed by running around in the d zone ......then 1 shot and allow the other team an easy transition breakout.....

Last edited by Rafters: 12-18-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Compared to this:

Edmonton Oilers ‏
"We showed again we can play with this team... Two mistakes ended up in our net. Other than that we played a good game." - Jordan Eberle

**** off, Jordan.
Jordan has the Horcoff bug. Just stopped caring, already. It really doesn't matter to him to play well enough all round game to contribute to team winning.

Winning is Eberle got his 6M longterm.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Quokka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
I think we can blame the lack of progression on our revolving door of coaches in conjunction with retaining poor assistant coaches.

Gagner got dealt MacTavish, Quinn, Renney, Krueger and now Eakins. Hall is lucky enough to only be on his third coach. As another example, Jeff Petry performed best in '11-12 under Renney.

I don't think we can point to any development successes for Buchberger or Smith. Why did we ever get rid of Charlie Huddy? Why aren't we trying to poach assistant coaches with proven track records of success like Montreal did by taking the Blackhawks' goalie coach this past season? Is it really any wonder that Crawford has dipped and Price has flourished?
My greatest wish for the Oilers is for Katz to throw piles of money at Ranford to get him out of LA. In LA, all goalies look amazing...Quick, Bernier, Scrivens and now Jones. One can dream...

Quokka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post

That's what I think the main problem is too. Imo, another coaching change is just another set back, just like the last two were.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Guaranteed he'll get normal minutes, wouldn't be shocked at all if he plays more than his average TOI. Ego Eakins is a boss, ACCOUNTABILITY!!! (except only when Yakupov ****s up)
Gagner did get bounced to 4th line a couple games ago so there has been some redress.

I expect the next move should be for Gagner to be HS. I think like a lot of players on this club Gagner is out of his element right now and thinking negatively on ice. Instead of being aggressive he's expecting the worst and those bad things are happening but because he's been lacking confidence, battle, and is showing major indecision out there.

Its time to slow it down by removing him from the ice.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Clearly you didn't see the Oilers play in the defensive zone last year.
Last year we were 19 in ga this year 30th Unless Whitney who we let go was the difference what am I missing Krueger had a lot better defensive structure than Eakins AINEC Eakins has swarmed us to last in that category.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
No, Mess takes over and everyone here yells "nepotism" over and over again.
Which would be extremely stupid since Messier isn't related to anyone in the organization.

Now, if they said "cronyism", it might make a tad more sense.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Hall needs to be better.....41 giveaways to 23 takeaways in 29 games ...he leads all NHL forwards in giveaways ....Kessel is 2nd with 38 in 36 games.....obviously creative offensive forwards have giveaways, but he is worse then any other forward in the NHL at giving away the puck......also only18 hits in 29 games....just brutal.....be leads the team in giveaways by 7 and has played 7 less games.....this team needs to learn how to manage the puck and stop shooting themselves in the foot over and over....giveaway after giveaway....followed by running around in the d zone ......then 1 shot and allow the other team an easy transition breakout.....
Hall will be better when he stops passing pucks that are 10 feet in the air. But seriously, some of his giveaways just leaves me scratching my head wondering how a first overall pick can be so horrible at passing.

Da McBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gagner did get bounced to 4th line a couple games ago so there has been some redress.

I expect the next move should be for Gagner to be HS. I think like a lot of players on this club Gagner is out of his element right now and thinking negatively on ice. Instead of being aggressive he's expecting the worst and those bad things are happening but because he's been lacking confidence, battle, and is showing major indecision out there.

Its time to slow it down by removing him from the ice.
Touche. And definitely agreed with the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Which would be extremely stupid since Messier isn't related to anyone in the organization.

Now, if they said "cronyism", it might make a tad more sense.
nepotism: favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Last year we were 19 in ga this year 30th Unless Whitney who we let go was the difference what am I missing Krueger had a lot better defensive structure than Eakins AINEC Eakins has swarmed us to last in that category.
You do recall that the goaltending save percentage has been quite a bit different from last years?

a number of players remarked last year on the Oilers man-on-man system as being not used by any other team in the league.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
You do recall that the goaltending save percentage has been quite a bit different from last years?

a number of players remarked last year on the Oilers man-on-man system as being not used by any other team in the league.
Listen last year we lost a lot of close heartbreakers as well and were in most games against the western conference, if you think Eakins is a better coach there is no helping you and maybe SP last year was better as well because we gave up a lot less prime chances . People also forget about 3 losses we lost in last seconds in games against Minnesota Heatley Dallas Jagr and there was one other that would of put us above 500 last year.Eakins is the biggest fraud since Madoff and he made of with a 4 year deal. But you have also been a big MAC T backer so not surprising.

Old
12-18-2013, 05:14 PM
armandh01

Quote:

Maybe man on man worked for this team which had incredibly weak D, playing against teams with much stronger D, like all of the western conference. Maybe it was an experiment, who knows. All I know is Dubs wasn't particular good last year either (same weak goal issue) ; however, I'd argue that Kruegers system kept the oppositions quality of shots down, unlike this year where teams just walk right in front of the net with NO man.

Maybe he would have changed the system a bit with time, nobody will know. All I know is this teams regression is alarming.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Hall will be better when he stops passing pucks that are 10 feet in the air. But seriously, some of his giveaways just leaves me scratching my head wondering how a first overall pick can be so horrible at passing.
I'm not so concerned about the ones 10 ft in the air so much as the ones directly to the opposing players for a breakaway

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
nepotism: favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence
You ignored the other definitions on the page.

Nepotism is based on the word "nephew", and is primarily for favoritism between relatives.

Cronyism
- Favoritism shown to old friends without regard for their qualifications, as in political appointments to office.
- the practice of favoring one's close friends, esp. in political appointments.
-the practice of appointing friends to high-level, esp political, posts regardless of their suitability

Ripped off an ethics journal -

Quote:
Cronyism is a more specific form of favoritism, referring to partiality towards friends and associates. As the old saying goes, "It's not what you know but who you know," or, as blogger Danny Ferguson put it, "It's not what you don't know; it's who your college roommate knows." Cronyism occurs within a network of insiders-the "good ol' boys," who confer favors on one another.

Nepotism is an even narrower form of favoritism. Coming from the Italian word for nephew, it covers favoritism to members of the family. Both nepotism and cronyism are often at work when political parties recruit candidates for public office.
The Oilers fit the definition of cronyism to the letter.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Listen last year we lost a lot of close heartbreakers as well and were in most games against the western conference, if you think Eakins is a better coach there is no helping you and maybe SP last year was better as well because we gave up a lot less prime chances . People also forget about 3 losses we lost in last seconds in games against Minnesota Heatley Dallas Jagr and there was one other that would of put us above 500 last year.Eakins is the biggest fraud since Madoff and he made of with a 4 year deal. But you have also been a big MAC T backer so not surprising.
Heartbreakers? You make us sound like we were on the verge of the playoffs and not on the verge on having another top 5 draft pick. I don't remember outplaying anybody last year besides stand out games against Calgary, Colorado, and Vancouver and were even outplayed in the majority of our wins. Maybe that's because we got dominated 5v5 and in shot differential all the while having a team that should of had every advantage going into the lockout season.

Maybe instead of looking at every coach like they're the problem, maybe we should recognize that the coaching carousel over the past 5-6 years IS the problem.

And the Heatley goal was from 2011, not sure how that got included.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
My greatest wish for the Oilers is for Katz to throw piles of money at Ranford to get him out of LA. In LA, all goalies look amazing...Quick, Bernier, Scrivens and now Jones. One can dream...
Instead I suggest you replace your current coach with Terry Murray. You may still lose games but he'll teach your team how to play a good team defense while you stockpile more talent.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:07 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
If we're throwing piles of money at someone, I'd much rather Burke

12-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Heartbreakers? You make us sound like we were on the verge of the playoffs and not on the verge on having another top 5 draft pick. I don't remember outplaying anybody last year besides stand out games against Calgary, Colorado, and Vancouver and were even outplayed in the majority of our wins. Maybe that's because we got dominated 5v5 and in shot differential all the while having a team that should of had every advantage going into the lockout season.

Maybe instead of looking at every coach like they're the problem, maybe we should recognize that the coaching carousel over the past 5-6 years IS the problem.

And the Heatley goal was from 2011, not sure how that got included.
Maybe look at 5/5 this year way worse every category is other than goals scored. Krueger is a way better coach than Eakins that is my point anyone arguing the difference has not a clue and we were in a lot of close games last year a lot of 1 goal losses. And yeah I tuned in all year last year and we were in a playoff race .

Old
12-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I'd say it's a combination of things.

- Their quality of competition has risen by more than a little bit.
- Youthful enthusiasm has given way to bitter realism as they face the stark reality of a 4 month death march to end this nightmarish season.
- Having a new head coach nearly every year isn't good for anybody's development, particular for young stars who see the coaching carousel and come to realize that if they don't like the message being given to them, they just need to not buy in for a little while and before you know it, their irritant is gone and it all begins anew.
-No QUALITY veterans willing and/or able to guide their progress in their early years, especially amongst the forwards...and the one guy I suspect management really wanted to help with that task for guys like Hall, Eberle and RNH (Hemsky), would much rather have someone else do the talking. It's just not in his nature, and that's a shame.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones that came to me first.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Quokka

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If we're throwing piles of money at someone, I'd much rather Burke
That would work too, I just figured since Ranford played for the Oilers Katz might actually be willing to pay him enough to entice him away.

Quokka is online now   Reply With Quote