HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are the worst facial injuries you've seen?

Old
12-19-2013, 07:27 AM
American in Paris

vCash: 500
What are the worst facial injuries you've seen?

I wore a half shield for a few years but eventually realized that it was just a question of time before I take a stick or puck to the face and I've worn full shields / cages ever since.

I saw one teammate get his cheek sliced open with a skate leaning forward to try to make a poke check from behind. Another took a puck to the mouth and lost 3 teeth. I heard about a guy on a nearby team who took a deflected slap shot to the eye which he ended up losing.

So what are the most gruesome facial injuries you've seen on the ice?

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:56 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Most gruesome injury I've seen is an in between play, the forward is all alone and the puck is between him and the goalie. The goalie races out to get the puck, the 2 collide head first and the goalies cage slices the guys bottom lip all the way through. It was like a fresh cut of meat, dude was standing there in shock with a vertical smile and I had to inform him he was going to need a lot of stitches. I don't think he got the fact that he was going to need stitches inside and out to sew that back together. If the guy had been wearing a cage he probably would have just had a slight headache.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Ozz

Friend of mine caught a slapper w/an inline puck directly to the mouth. Knocked out half his teeth and messed up the rest. He was in the hospital a couple days for emergency surgery, has a permanent retainer brace, and still has some teeth that remain knocked a bit crooked.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 03:01 PM

42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 03:41 PM
rh71

Haven't seen any because most guys I've seen wear full shields. I've thankfully always worn a full shield - I've been accidentally wacked straight across with an errant stick off the faceoff and the mark is still on my shield dead center - it was soon after I bought it new and I'm still not willing to buy another one. Have been hit numerous times but that's the one that stands out.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Bengerm77

I wore a half shield and had to get stitches twice. First time, a guy tried to stick lift me as I was falling (from another trip) and smacked me right in the jaw, cut all the way to the bone. 5 stitches. Second time another guy and I came upon a loose puck at the same time and it popped straight up and just barely smacked me right at the corner of my mouth. I instantly started gushing blood even though very little pain. I probably could've gotten away without them, but I got 4 stitches for that one. Worst part of that was a cut I received on the INSIDE of my mouth from my own teeth, which left me unable to eat anything but lukewarm soup as it healed.

now I have a cage.

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Steelhead16

I personally have had a bunch (broke both cheekbones 2 weeks apart, knocked out teeth, 7 broken noses, close to 100 stitches in my face) but the worst I have seen happened to a guy I played with back in juniors around 1981-82ish. Puck went back to the point in our defensive end. Our winger charged out to the point to block the shot. He reached out to poke the puck but he was late and just ended up creating a ramp. Puck deflected upward at about a 60 degree angle and hit him right at his upper lip. Puck knocked out all his teeth on the upper left side of his mouth, continued up and shattered his cheek bone, and his orbital bone and he ultimately lost his left eye. I will never forget the sound (like hitting a pumpkin with a baseball bat) and I was about 20' away and still got blood on me. He never went down, just looked stunned and turned around and headed to the Zamboni door. 2 guys were standing there and opened the door and he just kinda passed out when he got there and the 2 guys caught him under the arms and took him away.
He never played competitive hockey again but he did play pick up a few years later.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 06:29 PM
MNWild9

I have seen two.

The first was a guy I played mens league with took a slap shot to the visor. The visor broke and cutting him around his right eye and cheek. He was bleeding really bad. After going to the hospital the found out he severed something in his eye which left him blind in the right eye.

I work for a USHL team. Two players were fighting just throwing haymakers. The refs had to step in cause the away team player was bleeding so bad from about the eye. Both teams trainers were working on him. The EMT's took him to the hospital. He came back with some stitches and a very swollen eye. He couldn't even open his eye because it was so swollen. We played the team a week later and he was still injured.

I wore a visor or no cage or visor when I was younger. Now I rock a cage. My eye sight means more to me.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:22 AM
American in Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Paris View Post
He never played competitive hockey again but he did play pick up a few years later.
Did he start wearing a cage after that?

Last edited by American in Paris: 12-20-2013 at 06:42 AM.
American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Malichek

I was on the ice during opponents power play. I was infront of my own net besides the opponents forward. Their d-man shot a slap shot from the blue line. The shot caught him straight in the mouth. I don't know how many tooth he lost, but there was blood all over the ice. Poor guy didn't use mouthguard..

Once my team mate got checked to the head. The hit broke his visor and the broken visor got stuck in his cheek/under his eye. Thankfully all he needed was stiches. It didn't damage his vision at all.

Other time a team mate of mine got tripped near the boards. He straightened his arms trying to slow the impact, but the guy who tripped him tackled him from behind. He dislocated one wrist and broke both of them.

EDIT: Forgot this was about facial injuries, pretty gruesome still.

Only one bad incident has happened to me. A guy tried to lift my stick but missed. His blade hit me first in my lip and then in the corner of my eye (lucky there). The hit splitted my lip, the cut went complitely through my lip and was about 0,5 inches long. I got 5 stiches on the lip and 2 on the corner of my eye. I was suprised how little the whole incident actually hurt, I guess I was in a shock.

Last edited by Malichek: 12-20-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Malichek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Mike Martin

I remember a game from maybe 1990 in which Blackhawks Defenseman Bob McGill went down to block a shot and the puck hit him directly in the mouth.

Mike Martin is offline   Reply With Quote