HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latandresse falls to the 2nd round and

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 06:04 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Latandresse falls to the 2nd round and

the Rangers have an opportunity to snag him and they go Defence again?

I'm not thrilled with Staal at 12 because I wanted Bourret, but we had a chance to make up for that mistake and Sather %%$&#&* up again.

I don't think that we had as good a draft day as some may think.

just my opinion.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

I'm not thrilled with Staal at 12 because I wanted Bourret, but we had a chance to make up for that mistake and Sather %%$&#&* up again.

I don't think that we had as good a draft day as some may think.

just my opinion.

Like you, I was a huge proponent for the isles to draft Bourret. But i guess when you see the player that you want slip to you, you dont have much of a choice. I think staal was good pick, but i'm just not a fan. All my Isles cohorts were pushing for him. I wasn't. I am thrilled with O'marra though, who i think has a lot more offensive upside than we have seen. For once MM did the smart thing and went BPA

Old
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666

I'll tell you what, a lot of what I read about Latendresse on other boards tells me that he was picked right around where he should have been. I get the impression he was one of those guys much more highly regarded by the media than by actual NHL scouts. I'd have been happy to pick him at #45, but I'm fine with not. Obviously, our scouts weren't particularly high on him. Time will tell if they were right. We have this Cliche kid and this Dupont kid instead. Let's see how it goes.

I'm waiting for people who know a little something about these guys to chime in.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
This was the best Draft in a while.

Marc Staal will have an Adam Foote career.. Alex Bourret... I can see a Raffi Torres career.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:12 PM
ragfan

Interesting to see that not a single euro was chosen by Maloney and company. As a matter of fact, in the last three drafts, 3 of the 4 first roudners have been euros. Is it because euros are getting harder to sign or what?

Old
07-30-2005, 08:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I think 7 of our 8 picks came from the CHL. Thats pretty suprising as well.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I think 7 of our 8 picks came from the CHL. Thats pretty suprising as well.

with the rules doing a number on US college players and their ability to go UFA, and the now uncertian future of bringing over european payers, this is how things are gonna be.

Old
07-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Farva
Alex Bourret... I can see a Raffi Torres career.
You mean 20 goals in his first year in the league?

Old
07-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
You mean 20 goals in his first year in the league?
Yeah, Torres is pretty much maxed out right now.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Garden_Variety

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I'll tell you what, a lot of what I read about Latendresse on other boards tells me that he was picked right around where he should have been. I get the impression he was one of those guys much more highly regarded by the media than by actual NHL scouts. I'd have been happy to pick him at #45, but I'm fine with not. Obviously, our scouts weren't particularly high on him. Time will tell if they were right. We have this Cliche kid and this Dupont kid instead. Let's see how it goes.
From what I hear, his skating is pretty bad. I guess bad enough to drop into the second.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Draft Guru

Latendresse...Hmmm..

This is just one of those things where we're going to have to wait and see. As you can tell by the way the draft went, all these so-called expert rankings are always way off base year after year. A lot of the rankings had Latendresse going mid-first round, but I never believed it. I thought he'd be a late first round, early second round pick for sure, but I didn't think he would drop to 45. But what I've learned over the past 8 years is usually there's a good reason why a player drops like Latendresse did. I've been paying close attention to the last 8 or so drafts and there's always a player that everybody has highly ranked but falls and falls and falls. And so far, none of those players have really amounted to anything, so I guess the real scouts were right.

Latendresse would seem like a nice pick for the Rangers. He's big, physical and can score. But his skating needs improvement, and maybe the Rangers felt that was a big concern, especially with this "new NHL". And who knows, maybe they didn't like something they saw in an interview or work-outs or whatever. The Rangers really look at a player's character, work-ethic, the way they handle themselves, etc. Latendresse probably was not this "protoypical" Ranger that they seem to be drafting year after year.

But then again, maybe the Rangers did like Latendresse, but felt it was worth it to take two projects in Cliche and Dupont instead of one. I don't know enough about Cliche or Dupont, but neither put up particularly big numbers in junior. They're the guys that get paid to do what they do, so I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:49 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Won't you agree that the rangers have chosen to to stay away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Latendresse...Hmmm..

This is just one of those things where we're going to have to wait and see. As you can tell by the way the draft went, all these so-called expert rankings are always way off base year after year. A lot of the rankings had Latendresse going mid-first round, but I never believed it. I thought he'd be a late first round, early second round pick for sure, but I didn't think he would drop to 45. But what I've learned over the past 8 years is usually there's a good reason why a player drops like Latendresse did. I've been paying close attention to the last 8 or so drafts and there's always a player that everybody has highly ranked but falls and falls and falls. And so far, none of those players have really amounted to anything, so I guess the real scouts were right.

Latendresse would seem like a nice pick for the Rangers. He's big, physical and can score. But his skating needs improvement, and maybe the Rangers felt that was a big concern, especially with this "new NHL". And who knows, maybe they didn't like something they saw in an interview or work-outs or whatever. The Rangers really look at a player's character, work-ethic, the way they handle themselves, etc. Latendresse probably was not this "protoypical" Ranger that they seem to be drafting year after year.

But then again, maybe the Rangers did like Latendresse, but felt it was worth it to take two projects in Cliche and Dupont instead of one. I don't know enough about Cliche or Dupont, but neither put up particularly big numbers in junior. They're the guys that get paid to do what they do, so I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now.
from prospects with question marks such as Latendresse? My feeling is that at some point you have to roll the dice and take a kid like Latendresse. I think he has a bigger potential payoff than both of the players they got with the picks from the trade. Especially considering that he plays a position that the organization is really weak in.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
from prospects with question marks such as Latendresse? My feeling is that at some point you have to roll the dice and take a kid like Latendresse. I think he has a bigger potential payoff than both of the players they got with the picks from the trade. Especially considering that he plays a position that the organization is really weak in.

absolutely. Latendresse has ranked at one point #2 behind Crosby, even by some on these HF boards. He must have done something right to have been that highly regarded. At #45, hes worth the gamble.

oh, and im also not buying into this whole "NEW NHL" BS. i just dont think the change is going to be a dramatic as everyone says it is going to be. The only way to make more room on the ice is to make the ice bigger.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:13 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

I disagree on the new NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
absolutely. Latendresse has ranked at one point #2 behind Crosby, even by some on these HF boards. He must have done something right to have been that highly regarded. At #45, hes worth the gamble.

oh, and im also not buying into this whole "NEW NHL" BS. i just dont think the change is going to be a dramatic as everyone says it is going to be. The only way to make more room on the ice is to make the ice bigger.
The Great was quoted as saying that the worst thing the NHL did was move the nets forwarded. He never liked the idea. The wisdom at the time was that it would create more offense, ala like the great did from behind the net. Grets said the opposite at the time. He rightly predicted that play will move from in front of the net, where the scoring must come from, to behind the net with a negative impact on scoring. The brainiacs missed big time in understanding that they couldn't make a Oliwa into a Great One by just moving the net back.

You will see a lot more play, like it use to be in front. Cycle down low and now the defensemen can slam you into the boards. There will be no room to do that garbage anymore. The diggers, the cornermen like Wayne Cashman and Don Maloney will come back into vogue again.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:55 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
He's big, slow, and very questionable hockey sense. I'm glad we didn't take him.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:06 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden_Variety
From what I hear, his skating is pretty bad. I guess bad enough to drop into the second.
if that is the case, that I take back my previous thought of thinking he was worth taking a risk. Poor skaters are useless in the NHL.

Old
07-30-2005, 11:20 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
if that is the case, that I take back my previous thought of thinking he was worth taking a risk. Poor skaters are useless in the NHL.
And Lat's skating is attrocious. I think Peter Worrell is a better skater. And he just learned how to skate backwards a few seasons ago.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:08 AM
Levitate

i dont' think that the rangers specifically avoided guys with questions...i mean i'd say cliche has some questions, and dupont is kind of questionable in his complete upside...

i think the rangers just really didn't like latandresse. so hopefully their scouts are right at this point

Old
07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragfan
Interesting to see that not a single euro was chosen by Maloney and company. As a matter of fact, in the last three drafts, 3 of the 4 first roudners have been euros. Is it because euros are getting harder to sign or what?
Well it about time NYR nees N.A grit, thats always what I believe. They did the right thing. You can not build a tteam on finesse European typ players you need that rugged N>a type players as I feel, and a couple GM's even in the draft said they felt all teams should have N.A girt along with euro players, and thats a fact, if not you end up like Ottawa. A good team but no toughness to help you move on.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588
Well it about time NYR nees N.A grit, thats always what I believe. They did the right thing. You can not build a tteam on finesse European typ players you need that rugged N>a type players as I feel, and a couple GM's even in the draft said they felt all teams should have N.A girt along with euro players, and thats a fact, if not you end up like Ottawa. A good team but no toughness to help you move on.
I think we'd kill to be like Ottawa.

I think it's obvious that GMs shied away from Europe this year, but I don't think it's because they think N.A. style is better. I think it's simple economics. In the "new NHL", salaries will be lower. It was already getting hard to convince mid-level European prospects to cross the pond to come here to toil in the AHL when they could be making a comfortable living at home. With the potential reward being lesser than in the past, I think Europeans are going to be harder and harder to convince to come to N.A., unless they're really top-flight talent that does not have a big risk of not making it.

I think this draft just recognizes the reality that NHL economics dictate fewer Europeans in the league in the future.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
from prospects with question marks such as Latendresse?
Perhaps but not from questions with question marks. A lot of guys were injured last year.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:41 AM
Garden_Variety

Perhaps we will see the Euros start doing what Tyutin did. As soon as he was drafted he came over to play in the OHL. Guelph I believe.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:49 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I am just amazed with all of the cynics who want to have Latendresse's love child. The last time the Rangers snagged a pre -season first round lock who fell into the second round was the immortal David Inman. At least half of the guys McKeen's had in the Top 30 in July went in the second round or later.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i dont' think that the rangers specifically avoided guys with questions...i mean i'd say cliche has some questions, and dupont is kind of questionable in his complete upside...
I wouldn't say that exactly. Dupont's a solid 3rd liner with some socring potential. He could develop into an offensive threat, but if not he'll still play on the team, no question.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Perhaps but not from questions with question marks. A lot of guys were injured last year.
SOS. I agree w/ you. Even though I do not like him personally, as you well know, I think that at #45 Latendresse would have been a GREAT value pick. Kind of like Graham in the 2nd round last year. I was very disappointed we did not pick him.

Closed Thread