HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Unwritten Rules of Attending NHL Games

Old
12-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Pip

vCash: 50
lol at the no profanity comment. Like come on.

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 11:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
But yet most teams have Mascots-the mascots I don't think are there to high five a guy and his drinking buddies when the home team scores. Whether one agrees or disagrees with their presence, the very fact they are THERE to me suggests the teams in question do market towards the younger audience (not to mention NHL plethora of stuffies, toy Stanley Cups in merchandise, previously mentioned kids themed activities/suites/promotions suggest to me that the NHL is very interested in marketing the live game to families).
Could be a part of being a Wings fan, no mascot, downtown arena with late time starts for traffic and many people not really being able to make it home and scoop up their kids to begin with. I certainly find the Admirals games in Milwaukee much more slanted to children. Of course they even have recommended sections if you ask. Detroit does this as well if you really ask, but given the location start times and general crowds I have never found anything about Detroit Red Wings games as family based entertainment.

You either bring your family there knowing it or live in some alternate reality. Like I said I am not dropping f-bombs at some clown rows away or endorsing any of that behavior, but the my ears and my children's ears argument is amusing. Almost any time I have seen it play out it gets worse and I have been on worse ends of it. Will never forget being at a U of M vs MSU game where they won at the Big House in the Desmond Howard Trip game in 1990 (I think) and some older U of M fan yelled at me then in elementary school with f-bombs right after they lost, actually at me as a kid for celebrating in my MSU shirt and I thought my dad might come to blows. That is uncalled for, but your team misses a shot in overtime and you forget for a second, yeah sometimes that adult language comes out.

Pro sports games are an environment where you expect to see and hear stuff that is probably suited for a mature audience. We have all witnessed that, if you cannot handle it don't load the kid up and take them to the game. Part of parenting after all would be explaining it and quite frankly using it as a teaching point which is something I remember about it. Really the clown doing it can be a pretty valuable lesson. By the way get your kids close enough to the glass and the worst thing they will hear all night will be coming from the ice, which is by far the worst things I have ever heard at a sporting event.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Purity*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
OH I wanted to add. Most classless thing I have ever seen at a hockey game.

A guy at a Duck game was focusing a green laser from a laser pen directly at the eyes of the King's goaltender for a large portion of the game. They finally were able to nab the guy after making an arena-wide announcement...but that is completely unacceptable. Was really embarrassing as a Duck fan.
I saw the exact same thing 5 years ago at a game, the nitwit was sitting quite a ways away from us, but we picked up on it from the clear displeasure of the crowd towards him, needless to say it didn't take long for him to get removed from the arena. And yes, it is embarrassing to be a fan when that crap happens.

Purity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 02:25 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

It's a hockey game, so there's a good chance you're going to see men punch each other in the face and act physically violent with each other in a variety of ways, but god forbid your precious little angel hears a word.

Swearing directly at/harassing someone's kid is another matter, of course.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 10:42 PM
dsc75

I sat in front of 4 old ladies at a game and all they did was complain about their hometown team and the refs as well and they maybe praised 1 or 2 players but they used first names for the praise and last names for the complaining. As for jersey complaints the only ones I have is when someone wears another team's jersey in the same league when that team isn't even playing the game your at. I do like seeing the obscure jersey like a jersey from slap shot or a players junior team's jersey

dsc75 is offline   Reply With Quote