HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Unwritten Rules of Attending NHL Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2013, 04:55 PM
  #26
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,852
vCash: 500
Don't hold up a sign that says "This is OUT HOUSE!"

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:55 PM
  #27
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Only certain jerseys of past players are acceptable: If the player is a legend, very popular within the franchise, or recently retired as a member of the team, it is cool to wear their jersey. But if you’re considering wearing your Petr Nedved or Paul Coffey Flyers jersey to the game, you need to think twice, and upgrade to a new one.
I disagree with this one.

If you have an obscure jersey, I consider you a bigger fan for wearing that than one of the thousands of other people wearing the same jersey.

Saw a fan wearing a "Spezza 39" jersey. Major props.


However, if you are wearing a jersey of a player that left under bad circumstances, I.E. Heatley, then do not wear that one.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #28
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless
 
MrCraigAnderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,157
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaMan View Post
Are you saying you shouldnt lean forward?

Im a big dude and sometimes it feels good to stretch my back and lean forward a bit. My knees or body dont ever touch the person sitting in front of me. However I have had people behind me kick my back and rest their knees on my back. Very annoying.

Not sure how to fix that but that goes for anything in a stadium.
During the play you should be sitting back, if you lean forward it makes it difficult for the people behind you to see. My dad is guilty of this and I often have to tell him to sit back. Move around all you want during breaks in play just not during play.

MrCraigAnderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #29
dubgeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 268
vCash: 400
- If you're rooting for the visiting team don't be an obnoxious ****** about it: It's fine to cheer your team's good plays, hits, saves, goals, etc., but leave whatever chants or other antics your home crowd has in your home arena.

Corollary:
- Be respectful of visiting fans (unless they are being obnoxious *******): They have come to your city to spend their hard earned money thereby providing a nice inflow of revenue to your local coffers. Plus, we all just want to have a fun time and watch some good hockey. [Rodney King]Can't we all just get along?[/Rodney King]

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #30
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,467
vCash: 500
My brother has a Mike Sillinger Senators jersey.

He played 17 games for the Sens.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #31
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
Jerseys are expensive. If I'm wearing a team jersey supporting my team at one of my team's games, I don't care what ex-player is on it. Deal with it. Unless of course, you want to buy me a new jersey of my choice.

I mean, I could go to a Caps home game (which I do from time to time) and see 90% of the fans wearing Ovechkin jerseys. That doesn't get old fast.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #32
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening
 
aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 31,846
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I think he meant to not wear jerseys of players who may have failed to meet expectations or left a bad taste around.

I don't think I've ever seen a Messier jersey at Rogers Arena...
I mean it literally says "popular players", either way I think it's stupid. I like seeing unique jerseys,

Sure, your Messier example makes sense, but that is rare that a fanbase hates one of it's own players that much, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
My brother has a Mike Sillinger Senators jersey.

He played 17 games for the Sens.
See, this is awesome, sorta, haha. I'd much rather see this at a Sens game than a thousandth Spezza jersey. Plus he's probably the only person in the known universe with that jersey.

aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:58 PM
  #33
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,400
vCash: 50
I don't care about most of that, but I will say: don't bang on the glass.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #34
FilthyNote*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Basically it means you shouldn't be sitting on the edge of your seat, despite what advertising campaigns may say about NHL hockey.

Leaning forward is fine, as long as your posterior isn't way out on the edge. The sightlines rely on this.
Ah okay that makes sense. I agree with that.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #35
Kulleroinen*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,893
vCash: 500
Most of those are total crap.

I could not care less if someone did not like my ancient jersey of a player who played only few games on my team.

No, I will not throw my hat. It is mine.

I don't care if someone does not like me talking on a phone. Too bad for you.


Last edited by Bear of Bad News: 12-18-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Politics
Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  #36
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 66,792
vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I disagree with this one.

If you have an obscure jersey, I consider you a bigger fan for wearing that than one of the thousands of other people wearing the same jersey.

Saw a fan wearing a "Spezza 39" jersey. Major props.


However, if you are wearing a jersey of a player that left under bad circumstances, I.E. Heatley, then do not wear that one.
Agreed here. One of my favorite regular jerseys spotted at Penguins games is an old Slegr 71 jersey. I love seeing stuff like that. Now something like Melichar 2...not so much, that guy just sucked and you need to just buy a new jersey by this point.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
  #37
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,467
vCash: 500
Maybe they are friends and/or family members of the player.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
  #38
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
if your lucky enough to get seats on the glass, if you stand up and pound the glass you get one warning then deserve to be tossed.

Honorable mention to the guys on cell phones who stand up and look at the camera to ask if their buddies see them on tv. More than once and you are out.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:02 PM
  #39
dubgeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 268
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
However, if you are wearing a jersey of a player that left under bad circumstances, I.E. Heatley, then do not wear that one.
I would consider a suitably mocking and sarcastic alteration to such a jersey acceptable. When Rob Blake left the Kings for Colorado the belief among the fans was that it was purely about money. I happened to be at his first game back in L.A. and saw at least one person who had overlaid the 4 on his Blake Kings jersey with a $ which I thought was clever.

dubgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:06 PM
  #40
Ceremony
Inpermanent
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 98,694
vCash: 50
If I was rich and lived in Denver you had better believe I'd still be wearing a McClement #16 jersey.

__________________
this isn't real, it's only the internet
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:06 PM
  #41
thevil
Lets go Aves?
 
thevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 2,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Don't put a sign up during play.

YES. Signs are for WWE events, not hockey games. I don't care if you're in row 1 and put it up to the glass but otherwise don't do it...

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:09 PM
  #42
LORD COMCAST
diamonds and wood
 
LORD COMCAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Greetings from...
Country: United States
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
A friend of mine and I are planning on roadtripping to a couple random games in Columbus. He's a huge Pens fan, I'm a huge Flyers fan, met in a bar argument when we realized the other was too knowledgeable and old school to hate. We'll be wearing our period-appropriate Kasparitis and Lindros jerseys and performing re-enactions for anyone who notices.

This is admissible, right?

LORD COMCAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:13 PM
  #43
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,337
vCash: 500
Man I wish everyone played by these rules. Especially the waiting for play to get to your seat. that annoys me to no end

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:20 PM
  #44
SharksFan1
Registered User
 
SharksFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,408
vCash: 500
"Only certain jerseys of past players are acceptable"

I do not agree with this. If that is the only jersey your team I have no issues with you wearing it. Even if it was the third line player 10 years ago.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:21 PM
  #45
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 6,179
vCash: 500
The entire concept of jersey fouls is ridiculous.

If you're going to pay $200 for a jersey and $70++ for tickets, enjoy the game however you want as long as you're not ruining the experience for others.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:21 PM
  #46
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
Man I wish everyone played by these rules. Especially the waiting for play to get to your seat. that annoys me to no end
I actually prefer it. All the arenas in the US I've been to doesn't make you wait. Well it sucks for people that miss goals because some asshat is taking forever to walk to his seat.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
  #47
Bullvyne666
Registered User
 
Bullvyne666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Medford,MA
Country: United States
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
During the play you should be sitting back, if you lean forward it makes it difficult for the people behind you to see. My dad is guilty of this and I often have to tell him to sit back. Move around all you want during breaks in play just not during play.
I will rock my Thornton 22 at all times.

Bullvyne666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
  #48
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 663
I've removed the politically-themed talk.

If it sprouts up again, expect to see the consequences.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:28 PM
  #49
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,018
vCash: 50
I'm not at a curling game, I will lean forward on my seat all I want.

I wish more arenas would put railings in each row like the bell center upper bowl.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 05:31 PM
  #50
Bizz
120% Banter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 5,283
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
The entire concept of jersey fouls is ridiculous.

If you're going to pay $200 for a jersey and $70++ for tickets, enjoy the game however you want as long as you're not ruining the experience for others.
What if it's this?


Bizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.