HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anyone else think...

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 09:58 AM
natureboy*

vCash: 500
Does anyone else think...

Does anyone else think that the lockout was really the worst thing that could ever happen to the rangers. When you think about it we now need a smart and savvy GM and good scouts (which i think everyone would agree the rangers do not have.) We really have to make smart decisions and have an eye for talent (the devils are really going to be good now) The most important reason is we were really going to stink last year. Yet somehow we drafted as a playoff team!!! I'm sure with the rangers luck they still wouldn't have landed crosby but they probably would have had a top three pick.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:28 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
Does anyone else think that the lockout was really the worst thing that could ever happen to the rangers. When you think about it we now need a smart and savvy GM and good scouts (which i think everyone would agree the rangers do not have.) We really have to make smart decisions and have an eye for talent (the devils are really going to be good now) The most important reason is we were really going to stink last year. Yet somehow we drafted as a playoff team!!! I'm sure with the rangers luck they still wouldn't have landed crosby but they probably would have had a top three pick.
no doubt, it probably hurt the rangers and any team on the fringe of something whether it be winning etc the most

rangers were in the climax of their rebuild

Old
07-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Garden_Variety

The Rangers made a living on trading their prospects for over-the-hill players so this will be a huge change for them. As far as Sather goes..I'm not sure where he got the reputation as being a good GM because it has not been substantiated. Just my opinion.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't know. Maybe these financial restrictions will make Sather adapt more of his Edmonton mentality.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:55 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I don't know. Maybe these financial restrictions will make Sather adapt more of his Edmonton mentality.
i think he means the timing of it

Old
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
bcrt2000

Sather used to be a smart GM.. he churned out great GMs in Muckler and Lowe, and they've also had some good players-turned coach (Lowe, MacTavish) and Gretzky will join the coaching ranks soon too... and all of the players they developed were amazing... also TSN pointed out during their draft coverage that since 1999 Edmonton's draft/development history hasn't been that great.. i have to agree... Doug Weight and Ryan Smyth were the last really great player who were developed through the Oilers organization (in Weight's case he was traded from the Rangers, but he still learned the ropes in Edmonton)

Old
07-31-2005, 11:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If indeed he has backed off some of the GM duties and turned the draft over to Maloney and more of the talent evaluation to Renney, that can only be a good thing. I watch Sather being interviewed and I just see a guy who the game has passed by.

How the hell can Sather with a straight face talk about how Bobby Holik is overpaid?

Old
07-31-2005, 11:39 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
If indeed he has backed off some of the GM duties and turned the draft over to Maloney and more of the talent evaluation to Renney, that can only be a good thing. I watch Sather being interviewed and I just see a guy who the game has passed by.

How the hell can Sather with a straight face talk about how Bobby Holik is overpaid?
Even if Sather had kept the money in his wallet, it didn't matter because the goaltending/defense situation has been so dire, that we couldn't even buy good help for those positions, and only now are our defense/goaltending prospects close to NHL ready

Old
07-31-2005, 01:29 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
agree on the lockout angle. they clearly wanted a season to happen, no matter how long it was so they could suck and land crosby.

disagree on the scouting...i liked our draft last year and i'm at least high on it this year. this appeared to be murray's draft and while i really don't have a clue on any of these guys after staal i would trust him after his work with the mighty ducks.

Closed Thread