HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rask?

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 02:25 AM
Epoch

vCash: 500
Good choice.

Toronto filled a hole. We needed a stud goaltender prospect.

Old
07-31-2005, 03:18 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

A few tidbits from the Redline report

1. Tuukka Rask/G-L — Ilves. 6-2/173. 10 MAR 87. Tremendously competitive battler plays with a ton of confidence and swagger. Great tools: size, flexibility, quick glove, great lateral movement, and calm under pressure. Will become another in the line of big-time Finnish netminders. A thin butterfly goalie, Rask gets up and down quickly and has very fast legs. Has excellent rebound control and amazingly soft pads. Manages to stay square even when sliding across crease on knees and likes to challenge shooters. Doesn’t get flustered with traffic in front. Handles the puck well and likes to try for the long pass. Has star potential.

Tuukka Rask — We've been huge fans and still love him, having him at No. 5 overall.

http://www.redlinereport.com

From the Toronto Star

#7 Tuukka Rask, G, Ilves Tampere (Finland)
The latest goaltending gem emanating from Finland, Rask is trying to follow in the footsteps of Kari Lehtonen and Hannu Toivonen; saw a little action in the SM-Liiga as a 17-year-old this year, and dominated the junior league for Ilves Tampere (26 GP, 2 SO, 1.86 GAA, .935 Sv%); was more impressive at the 2005 WJC last December/January than at the 2005 World U-18 tournament in April; is expected to take over as Ilves' No. 1 goaltender in the SM-Liiga in 2005-06; sound positional skills and a projectable frame are Rask's best assets between the pipes.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...spect-profiles

Old
07-31-2005, 07:12 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
A few tidbits from the Redline report

1. Tuukka Rask/G-L — Ilves. 6-2/173. 10 MAR 87. Tremendously competitive battler plays with a ton of confidence and swagger. Great tools: size, flexibility, quick glove, great lateral movement, and calm under pressure. Will become another in the line of big-time Finnish netminders. A thin butterfly goalie, Rask gets up and down quickly and has very fast legs. Has excellent rebound control and amazingly soft pads. Manages to stay square even when sliding across crease on knees and likes to challenge shooters. Doesn’t get flustered with traffic in front. Handles the puck well and likes to try for the long pass. Has star potential.

Tuukka Rask — We've been huge fans and still love him, having him at No. 5 overall.

http://www.redlinereport.com

From the Toronto Star

#7 Tuukka Rask, G, Ilves Tampere (Finland)
The latest goaltending gem emanating from Finland, Rask is trying to follow in the footsteps of Kari Lehtonen and Hannu Toivonen; saw a little action in the SM-Liiga as a 17-year-old this year, and dominated the junior league for Ilves Tampere (26 GP, 2 SO, 1.86 GAA, .935 Sv%); was more impressive at the 2005 WJC last December/January than at the 2005 World U-18 tournament in April; is expected to take over as Ilves' No. 1 goaltender in the SM-Liiga in 2005-06; sound positional skills and a projectable frame are Rask's best assets between the pipes.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...spect-profiles

So he played in the World Juniors that just passed in December? If so, how many games? How did Finland do? How many games did he win/lose?

Thanx in advance to anyone who replies. I didn't even know he was there at the WJC.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:05 AM
It Kills Me

I'm happy with this pick. Too bad we didn't have our second rounder. Could've gotten Latendresse too, right?

Old
07-31-2005, 10:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
So he played in the World Juniors that just passed in December? If so, how many games? How did Finland do? How many games did he win/lose?

Thanx in advance to anyone who replies. I didn't even know he was there at the WJC.
Try: iihf.com

Old
07-31-2005, 10:51 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Try: iihf.com
In game 1 of 2005 World U18championship, Finland beated Switzerland at 3-1, Rask making 35 saves out of 36 shots.

Then they lost 0-3 to the US, Rask making 29 saves out of 32 shots.

After that they lost to Cze 1-6, Rask making 26 saves out of 31 shots.

They again lost to SVK 2-3, Rask making 32 saves out of 35 shots.

They finally beated Denmark 3-2, Rask making 19 saves out of 21 shots.

They then beated Germany 4-2, but Rask wasn't playing the game.

Rask ended up to be ranking 6th (in terms of sv%) in the tournament, with 90.97% (Carey Price only had 89.42%)

Old
07-31-2005, 11:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi0308
Rask ended up to be ranking 6th (in terms of sv%) in the tournament, with 90.97% (Carey Price only had 89.42%)

Thanks for doing the spadework.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Pavelec looked more impressive at times but in truth Rask was playing behind less than stellar Finn under 20 and under 18 teams. I'm ok with the pick, we simply had to restock the goaltending position.It will be neat to see who is best between Price, Rask and Pavelec.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:54 PM
darrylsittler27

Goal is the most important position

Sure we need forwards but just ask Brodeur or roy how to win a cup!How about theodore or fleury,both make huge improvements on their teams as can luongo at times.We have lots of defenseman:covo,white,bell,pilar,vorobiev,harrison to name a few and we got a big stud with our second pick.As for goal,we have pogge.The rest including tellquist are long odders.The leafs took the second best goalie with a late first rounder.Fergie wants young proven ufa's like Nash for forwards.We traded for sundin,we havent drafted a good forward with a number one since damphousse,what the hell,why not a goalie,the reports i have read this kid could be really strong for us even if its backup to pogge.I like the move,now go sign Nash!!lol

Old
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
richardn

I am disapointed in the pick in the draft only because Cogliano was still arround when they picked. I think Cogliano was one of the best picks of the late first rounders. I mean he could very well be the fastest skater in the draft with very good hands to go with it. I really, really wanted them to draft Cogliano. Don't get me wrong I think Rask has a lot of upside but is at least 4 or five years away from being ready for the NHL and by then who knows maybee we will have Theodore or Turco or someone like that. I am going on the record right now and siaying Cogliano is going to be top 6 forward with Edmonton for years to come. Edpecially when you look at the rule changes. I can see him getting lots of break aways. Man would he have been an exciting player to get.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:22 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I am disapointed in the pick in the draft only because Cogliano was still arround when they picked. I think Cogliano was one of the best picks of the late first rounders. I mean he could very well be the fastest skater in the draft with very good hands to go with it. I really, really wanted them to draft Cogliano. Don't get me wrong I think Rask has a lot of upside but is at least 4 or five years away from being ready for the NHL and by then who knows maybee we will have Theodore or Turco or someone like that. I am going on the record right now and siaying Cogliano is going to be top 6 forward with Edmonton for years to come. Edpecially when you look at the rule changes. I can see him getting lots of break aways. Man would he have been an exciting player to get.
I see where you are coming from but this one one of the rare times where need trumps best player available. Cogliano is no lock to play in the league within three years. There is some Martin St. Louis there though isn't there?

Old
07-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Lucky Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
I'm not too sure the reason, but I sure am enjoying the meltdown on the Habs board since the pick!
haha yeah me too, they say it like it's Pierre McGuire's fault lol

Old
07-31-2005, 01:26 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
I see where you are coming from but this one one of the rare times where need trumps best player available. Cogliano is no lock to play in the league within three years. There is some Martin St. Louis there though isn't there?
Ya definalty lots of Martin St. Louis in him. He would have looked good in a Marlies jersey next year taking Wellwood's spot on the roster. He was even a local player to. I am sure he would have been a fan favorite with the Marlies and eventually the Leafs. St. Louis took along time to develop but look at him now.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:54 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Ya definalty lots of Martin St. Louis in him. He would have looked good in a Marlies jersey next year taking Wellwood's spot on the roster. He was even a local player to. I am sure he would have been a fan favorite with the Marlies and eventually the Leafs. St. Louis took along time to develop but look at him now.
I rather them picked the Italian from woodbridge...

Andrew C...

Old
07-31-2005, 02:19 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
I rather them picked the Italian from woodbridge...

Andrew C...

?????? Thats who I was talking about I wanted them to draft Cogliano.

I could here it now on HNIC Colaiacovo to Cogliano, he shoots he scores. I bet they would be a perfect fit in the new NHL think about all the break away passes from Cola to Cogs . Cogliano could very well be the fastest skater in the NHL.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:31 PM
mikeyd114

Send a message via AIM to mikeyd114 Send a message via MSN to mikeyd114
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27
Sure we need forwards but just ask Brodeur or roy how to win a cup!How about theodore or fleury,both make huge improvements on their teams as can luongo at times.We have lots of defenseman:covo,white,bell,pilar,vorobiev,harrison to name a few and we got a big stud with our second pick.As for goal,we have pogge.The rest including tellquist are long odders.The leafs took the second best goalie with a late first rounder.Fergie wants young proven ufa's like Nash for forwards.We traded for sundin,we havent drafted a good forward with a number one since damphousse,what the hell,why not a goalie,the reports i have read this kid could be really strong for us even if its backup to pogge.I like the move,now go sign Nash!!lol
Darryl is exactly right! U win a stanely cup with goalies...Rask had an ok U18 and whens he hot hes amazing. But he is also known to go cold...which proved to be finlands demise in the U18. But the need for a goalie after befour is gone is hugr. telvquest will never be a #1. Its been proven through history....GOALTENDING IS THE KEY TO THE CUP and Rask is a big kid.... hes 6 2 200...hes gonna become an excellent goaltender and will eventually be torontos #1

Old
07-31-2005, 02:41 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd114
Darryl is exactly right! U win a stanely cup with goalies...Rask had an ok U18 and whens he hot hes amazing. But he is also known to go cold...which proved to be finlands demise in the U18. But the need for a goalie after befour is gone is hugr. telvquest will never be a #1. Its been proven through history....GOALTENDING IS THE KEY TO THE CUP and Rask is a big kid.... hes 6 2 200...hes gonna become an excellent goaltender and will eventually be torontos #1
I don't think we should close the book on Telly just yet.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:44 PM
EazyB97

I liked the idea of grabbing Cogliano because he was small and quick, but he's never really faced top competition which really scared me. He put up a good U-18 camp, but Tier II is a far cry from major junior. He obviously has the tools, but tier II is geared towards small, quick players, as is NCAA. He'll be interesting to watch once he turns pro. Rico Fata, or Martin St. Louis? I'm hoping he turns out well, as the NHL needs young, quick, talent, but I guess only time will tell.

Old
07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
berney fkaj

I am very excited with Rask....It was a toss up for me between Colgiano and Rask. Colgiano is better right now, but Rask will be a great. Although the only time i watched Rask play he was less than good . As long as Toronto got 1 of those players I am happy.

Old
07-31-2005, 05:37 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Some good goalies have come near the 21th draft position..

here is one that sticks out...

Lets hope Rask can follow in his footsteps..

Old
07-31-2005, 05:42 PM
berney fkaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump

wow Kidd went 11th.....Scary......Lets hope you wern't talking about him

Old
07-31-2005, 06:02 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump

Lets hope that the frist goalie, becomes like kidd (Price) and the second like Brouder (RAsk )

I'm hopeing Rask is similar to Lethonen, Kiprusoff or Toivenen.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:05 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus Joglund
I hope Rask's our version of Toivonen.
I hope Rask is our version of Lehtonen

Old
07-31-2005, 06:07 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus Joglund
I hope Rask's our version of Toivonen.
Nope wait, I hope Rask is our version of Brodeur

Old
08-01-2005, 03:50 AM
ThinMcWhistle

No, he will be our version of Vladislav Tretiak!

Closed Thread