HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

Old
12-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Maybe Ed Hardy can break into the hockey jersey industry? Nothing like some gold foil and dragons down the arm to intimidate the opposition. Fist pump goal celebrations?
They are in the skate market: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...10-revolt.html

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I think people are taking this chirping thing too seriously.

For example, I have a red shell with navy stripes down the side and a couple white stars that I wore with navy gloves and white socks. I had a buddy "chirping" me telling me I looked like Captain America. Did I get my feelings hurt? No. Did I laugh along with him? Yes.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:55 AM
intangible

Some were already said, but tinted visor, white skates, and goalies with chrome domes. Also guys who don't wear actual hockey pants or just use sweat pants as pants and socks. Really.

That said, I've worn cameras, whited out my stick, and other things that are chirpable, I'm sure. Take it in jest and move on.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Terry Yake

one of the worst offenses i experienced in the past year or two was when we played this team and their two best players wore #87 and #71. and the best part about it was that this team was in the bottom 3 of the standings and although those 2 were the best players on that team, they were far from good players.

if it wasn't for the fact that their team was really bad, they would have been chirped way worse. but that is almost as bad as it gets in terms of chirpable offenses

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
McRobbiezyg

I'm pretty sure chirping happens in every sport that has any individuality in it. I play paintball and its usually my teammates that will chirp each other on some stupid looking piece of equipment the other guy bought. Theres definitely a lot of flamboyant stuff on the market haha

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
One of those Notre Dame gold hockey helmets is out of the question I guess?

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Slats432

Anything with stripes and a whistle.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen

Do you chirp this guy?

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post

Do you chirp this guy?
Hell yeah! Where do I start, with the gold helmet or the fact that he shares his name with a traitor?

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I get far too many chirps for wearing a cage, and because I do wear a cage, I can't chirp back. It's annoying but I'm too pretty to risk a facial injury!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if full facial protection is mandatory for insurance reasons in 5-10 years.

So stop chirping me...

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:31 PM
goodriddance628

I guess I'm a D Bag then, I was given a tinted Oakley visor as a gift, guess I should slap my wife tonight for not checking with the fashion police before trying to do something cool for me, on a side note did anyone see those new white CCM RBZ skates the look pretty sick

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I get far too many chirps for wearing a cage, and because I do wear a cage, I can't chirp back. It's annoying but I'm too pretty to risk a facial injury!

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if full facial protection is mandatory for insurance reasons in 5-10 years.

So stop chirping me...
cages are something i'll never chirp because to me there's nothing wrong with extra protection

the only thing i can't stand is when someone with a cage tries to start something with you and you really can't do anything back as a result

Old
12-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Linden*
[hello] :)

I love to chirp when I'm on the ice, so often I'm looking for anything that I can make fun of. Tinted visors and certain jersey numbers are obvious, as well as colored laces/stick tape. It's not even meant to be malicious, it's just an incredibly fun part of the game.

Linden* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 09:37 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Tinted visors, fishbowls, and wearing #87 or #99.

Maybe colored laces and some colored tape like camo/pink/patterned.

I mostly play with an under-25 crowd though so that may influence what gets chirped a lot and what doesn't.

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Beer league equipment no-no's:

#1 - Complaining about other peoples "chirpable" equipment.
Agreed. Just keep it to yourself and tell your gf or wife later how ridiculous it was.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
cages are something i'll never chirp because to me there's nothing wrong with extra protection

the only thing i can't stand is when someone with a cage tries to start something with you and you really can't do anything back as a result
That's a really dirtbag move.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:12 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

I don't chirp opponents because I suck. My opponents don't chirp me because they suck too. My teammates and I chirp each other because we suck. Beer league is fun.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
That's a really dirtbag move.
definitely

and unfortunately it happens all the time. like i said earlier, i have nothing against wearing a cage but if you're wearing one there is no way you should be trying to start something with someone who wears a visor or nothing at all. one of the things i hate about beer league

Old
12-22-2013, 01:06 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

One time our friend joined our team and he never played hockey before so we gave him #99, he fell down hopping the boards after a pk expired for us and it took him forever to get back into the play. He also probably talked the most(mod edit)out of anyone on our team and could barely skate, good times. I think he ended up playing three games in total.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-22-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: filter
PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Ozz

Quote:
That's pretty (mod edit)when they do that but I love being scary to even guys in full cages. Almost everyone on my team has been in or usually gets into some scuffles, but never me. Usually I'll take a first shove but by the time I give my response back people figure it's best to leave me alone.

I'm big, strong though(mod edit), but I know it's different when you're not. Many dislike me because they know if they want to get dirty or mean, I can be a cuss and they aren't going to do anything about it.

I remember having a guy come at me full bore for dumping him in my crease, and he stopped on a dime with just a quick warning. Best part is a ref was trying to pull him away and that didn't deter him

But I digress...

Regarding caged birds singing to you with an open face, if anything ever jumped off you could just grab their mask and have a good advantage.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-22-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: filter
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
One time our friend joined our team and he never played hockey before so we gave him #99, he fell down hopping the boards after a pk expired for us and it took him forever to get back into the play. He also probably talked the most **** out of anyone on our team and could barely skate, good times. I think he ended up playing three games in total.

that reminds me of something similar we did with one of my buddies a while ago. he hadn't played in a very long time and everyone on that team was very close to one another, we decided to have some fun and give him a #99 jersey. he wasn't aware of the number and the entire game, the other team just showered him with chirp after chirp.

he realized that he was wearing #99 after the game and the reaction from everyone in the locker room was absolutely priceless

Old
12-22-2013, 04:31 PM
NewFound Oiler

vCash: 989
I wont chirp gear in beer league but back in Minor and AAA if ANYONE teamate or against wore a (mod edit) fishbowl, they were subject for 60 minutes of chirping. Cages are okay but fishbowls are ugly

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-22-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: filter circemvention issues.
NewFound Oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 07:07 PM
nutbar

Quote:

There's nothing funnier/more pathetic than two people wearing cages flailing away at each other with hockey gloves.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 07:41 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
There's not a lot of chirping in my rec league, although part of that may be because I hate that sort of thing and look for leagues where it's kept to a minimum.

I do remember once (back in the day, as it were), we were playing Metro State University and they had a player who was wearing #69. I started to get on him about it, and he clearly wasn't happy (among other things, he claimed that it wasn't his typical sweater).

Late in the game, we were losing 7-6, and he took a baseball bat-style swing at my head. I ducked, he got a major penalty, and we scored twice to win 8-7.
usually somebody who wears 69 is "that guy", the one who is looking to make a big hit or drop the gloves in beer league.

Until I moved two years ago, I think every league that I've played in always had one player that wore 69.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
That's pretty (mod edit)when they do that but I love being scary to even guys in full cages. Almost everyone on my team has been in or usually gets into some scuffles, but never me. Usually I'll take a first shove but by the time I give my response back people figure it's best to leave me alone.

I'm big, strong though(mod edit), but I know it's different when you're not. Many dislike me because they know if they want to get dirty or mean, I can be a cuss and they aren't going to do anything about it.

I remember having a guy come at me full bore for dumping him in my crease, and he stopped on a dime with just a quick warning. Best part is a ref was trying to pull him away and that didn't deter him

But I digress...

Regarding caged birds singing to you with an open face, if anything ever jumped off you could just grab their mask and have a good advantage.
Not sure, I'm not willing to potentially snap a neck in a beer league. Taking liberties with a cage is cheap but going for the mask is really really dangerous.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-22-2013 at 09:28 PM.