HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My take on the draft

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 06:47 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
My take on the draft

19 JAKUB KINDL CZ 6'2" 199 OHL KITCHENER D L

I wanted a big forward here, but, you know what, we could use a bluechip defenseman, too.
Kindl was once considered a potential top 5/10 pick, but he had trouble with the transition in the OHL. Still, playing with Wings prospect McGrath, Detroit scouts must have seen enough of him.
I think Kindl has first pairing upside, but it's going to take a few years to see it ...

Good pick

42 JUSTIN ABDELKADER US 6'1 195 USHL cedar LW L

People seem to like this pick. I'm not sold. Seems like we could have had a better pick at 42. From what I've read, the guy isn't especially good or bad at anything. At least we won't have to go far to watch him develop, as Abdelkader plays at MSU.

80 CHRISTOFER LOFBERG SE 6'3 189 SWEjr. DJu C R

Don't get me started. Nobody knows anything about this. Not even the Swedish hockey nerds at HFboards.
This pick just doesn't make sense.
Surely we could have risked waiting until the fourth or fifth round.

103 MATTIAS RITOLA SE 6 192 SWE JR LEK. C/W L

Unlike Lofberg, Ritola is a known quantity.
I saw him play four games at the 4 Nations Cup in Ann Arbor.
Despite first line status and special teams play, Ritola was almost invisible. Not slow. Not fast. Not big. Not small. Not physical. Not finesse.
Just an uninspiring hockey player. Especially when better Swedes were still on the board.

132 DARREN HELM CA 5'11 172 WHL MED. HAT C/LW L

Seems pretty non-descript.
Weird choice. FOr a smaller guy, he doesn't seem to have very enticing numbers.
Hard to find anything about him.

137 JOHAN RYNO SE 6'4 198 SWE JR. KUMLA JR. W L

Apparently, he's got speed and skill to go with that 6'4 frame. I don't know. 5th round still seems kind of high for a guy no on has ever heard of.

151 JEFF MAY CA 6'1 186 WHL PRINCE ALBERT D L

I think the Wings draft takes a turn for the better right here.
Jeff May is a well regarded defenseman in the WHL. He'll play a bigger role with the team next year.
Reminds me of the kyle Quincey pick.

175 JUHO MIELONEN FI 6'2 183 FIN JR ILVES D R

I saw this kid at 4 Nations as well.
Tall, but needs to put on weight. Decent mobility. Willingly plays physical. Pretty conservative in his own end. Although Red Line Report ripped him for idiotic decision making.

214 BRETTON STAMLER CA 6'1 201 WHL SEATTLE D

Last pick of the draft.
Another WHL defenseman with decent size. Will have a bigger role next season.

Overall?
I've got to say I'm disappointed. Especially after watching teams like Colorado and Chicago find ways to get good talent.
Then again, Detroit always seems to make these weird picks from left field. And they've had luck.
Problem is, we only have two years to keep the rights to Euro picks. We can't just draft them and let them develop in Europe for three or four years, like we did with Datsyuk, Kronwall, and Zetterberg.
It was disappointing to see that our draft strategy didn't reflect this new reality.

If you look at Colorado, almost every pick was an NCAA pick. This gives Colorado an extra year or two before they have to make that decision to sign the prospect.

Overall, I give it a C-.
There were just too many good players still on the board in the 2nd/3rd/4th round to justify these picks.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
norrisnick

Aside from our 1st two selections (McArdle and Latendresse dammit lol) I don't have much of an opinion on our selections. Well, actually I'm of the opinion that aside from Kindl we probably could have bumped everyone up a round and dropped one off the end and still gotten all our guys. Abdelkader might have cut it close but he seemed pretty far under the radar. Plus with 3 picks in the 130-150 range we could have shored up those Swedes and made it.

C-/D+ range sounds about right.

Old
07-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Boomhower

May is the only pick that really jumps out at you. But in fairness Detroit has pulled some sleepers out of Europe before, so I'll give those time.

Kindl sticks out aswell, but for all the wrong reasons. I can't express how much I dislike Kindl. I thought he was going to plummet right out of the top two rounds..

Old
07-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Coffey77

Pretty much how I see it. Would have liked the other Kitchener guy Lashoff. I guess Kindl is ok. Great, more unknown swedish picks that won't pan out. Would also have liked Bergfors. Even Latendresse, although his skating may really hurt in the "new" NHL.

Jeff May was a good pick though? I like the Finn they took. A tall guy that can play physical and can skate.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
I like the Finn they took. A tall guy that can play physical and can skate.
A Finnish poster on these boards said Mielonen was nothing more than average.

But good defenceman aren't always flashy and he does have size, so hopefully he's decent.

Old
07-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
eh, my take is that this was a typical Red Wing draft. A couple of guys in early rounds whose selections piss damn near everyone off, and then a bunch of guys no one has any clue about. Considering recent history, I'll give'em the benefit of the doubt. Not everyone will hit, but if one or two turn into legit NHLers, it'll have been a good draft.

Old
07-30-2005, 10:01 PM
octopi

I'm not overly thrilled, but I'm going to go with the "Wings having sucess drafting off radar" here. Hey, someone has to be postitive...we don't want the draft picks reading the forum and running home crying.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:40 AM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone

80 CHRISTOFER LOFBERG SE 6'3 189 SWEjr. DJu C R

Don't get me started. Nobody knows anything about this. Not even the Swedish hockey nerds at HFboards.
This pick just doesn't make sense.
Surely we could have risked waiting until the fourth or fifth round.
I have been away for the weekend and missed the draft. So im one of the swedish nerds that never replied.

So here´s my take on Löfberg: Ive seen Löfberg a couple of times, and he is one of my favourites in J20 SuperElit. Big and strong kid, very good skater(despite large fram), with good technical skills. Offensively really great potential, and really hard to stop with the puck. But a pick for third round? No. Thats just insane. I bet no other team would have even drafted him, so Håkan could have waited a couple of rounds, maybe even the seventh. I like the other picks Håkan did though, especially Ryno. I think you got a really nice pick there... but it seems like Håkan is like me, when it comes to music, he refuses to listen to mainstream (if you got the metaphor)

Old
07-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Zoran Manojlovic

Guys, you are a bit to negative when it comes to this years draft. I personally think that the wings did a solid job on the draft floor. I talked to Håkan yesterday and he was happy with the selections they made.

I have seen some of the players during the season and here are my scouting reports on those guys:

Mattias Ritola,

Is a very good skater who has great speed and acceleration… has good agility and balance, very strong on his skates… a smart player who has good hockey sense and vision… reads the play well and is a good playmaker… is the organizer when on power play… isn’t afraid of using his body, at times… can drive to the net and digs for the puck in the corners… has a solid wrist shot while his slap shot lacks power… equally good at scoring and setting up goals… is a good stick handler who can beat a defenseman one-on-one… needs to work on his finishing skills and add more upper body strength… his attitude is questionable… doesn’t put in an effort consistently…

Ritola has solid size and is well built, but he doesn’t always use his strength well. His attitude is questionable, but his speed, puckskills and hockey sense are undeniable. I believe that he could get some ice time in elitserien next year with Leksand. He could be worth an early 3rd round pick.

Johan Ryno,

He has tremendous size for a winger and is a solid skater... he does also have respectable, but not spectacular puckskills... he has good attitude and is a hard worker... he isn´t afriad of using his size to his advantage... he has good scoring touch and is dangerous around the net... he possesses above average hockey sense and uses his linemates well...

Ryno had a very good season in Division-1 this year and was among the leaders on his team in scoring. He more than doubled his goals and points from last season. He has signed a contract and will play with Oskarshamn next seaosn in Allsvenskan. He will most likely be a 3rd liner on the team next year and he also has a good chance of making the Swdish WJC team. His size and solid skills are attractive for the 5th-6th round of the draft.

Christoffer Löfberg,

Christoffer is a big hulking winger who has very good skating ability and solid puck skills… has a long powerful stride and is explosive on the skates… moves very well for a big guy… handles the puck well at high speed and is able to create on his own… has good hockey sense and vision on the ice… is used in all situations… plays the point on the power play… sets up plays from the point…has a big shot… more of a scorer than a playmaker… has a nose for the net and good positioning in the offensive zone… is a liability defensively and doesn’t work hard enough on the backcheck… should use his size even more and play a bit tougher…

Löfberg had a good season where he even got some ice-time in elitserien. He has great size, skating and scoring touch. He has also developed his work ethic and now projects as a pro player down the road. He could be worth a 5th-6th round pick.

Juho Mielonen,

Juho was in my opinion the best player on the Finnish team throughout the tournament... he played a very good two-way game and was effective on both ends of the rink… he has very good size and is strong along the boards… he isn’t afraid of using his body and wins a lot of battles along the boards… he is a very good skater who has quick feet and a very good stride… he moves well and is agile… he has good hockey sense and is very poised with the puck… he doesn’t hesitate to join or lead the rush… he is also very creative with the puck and doesn’t just give it up under pressure... he also has a big shot from the point… he can log on a lot of minutes and is used in all kinds of situations…

Juho has very good size, mobility and poise with and without the puck. He has very good upside down the road and I would select him early in the draft, somewhere in the late 2nd round.

Final words..

Kindl was a great pick in the first round considering his upside. Best player avaliable. He will look good in 3 years time next to Fischer. Posters here at the boards have expressed their desire for Bergfors, but I can tell you that you won´t be looking back at this draft in a couple of years and say, "we should have taken Bergfors"! I have seen this guy to many times at different levels and I can tell you that he is not what the wings need. A 3rd line grinder with the 19th pick overall is not good. I rather take a chance with a player like Kindl who has all-star potential, but maybe is a bigger risk player, than with an undersized grinder with average skills. You can allways sign solid 3rd liners on the market, but all-star players don´t come along cheap. You have to gamble and the wings did the right thing here!

Abdelkader is a player who I had rated in the late first round just as the Wings did, and I was happy with the selection in the 2nd round. I know that many posters and readers here at HF think that Latendresse and other picks would have been better, but I belive that 3-4 years from now, they won´t!

Löfberg has good potential and is a long-term project. He was take a bit higher than what I expected, but i know that Håkan knows when to pull the trigger on a player and why.

Ritola has had some attitude probelms and I know that, that is why he felt in the draft. In my first viewing of him this year, I hated him but the more I saw him play the more I liked his upside. He just needs to mature and become a man mentally.

Ryno is a big guy and will need time. Could be a 3rd liner down the road.

Mielonen is a great pick. He has great upside and was in my opinion among the 20 best defensemen in this years draft.

May was also a good pick and could be a solid 4-6 dman.

Helm and Stamler were 2 picks that I didn´t like, but 7 out of 9 is good. I would have liked to see the wings select Alex Sundström since he is one of the best EU players from this years draft. The problem is his injuryes, but I think that he will rebound and become the best Swede from this years draft togather with Ritola.

Those are my thoughts on this years Wings draft..

Old
07-31-2005, 11:56 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i like a few of the picks but at the later rounds there seamed to be a lot more guys around and we didnt bite for some reason. I wanted McArdle over Kindl, we dont really need a dman drafted this year, but i guess if holland sees him as a project like kronwall was, by the time hes good 3-5 years from now when we might need a dman, kindl should be boomed or busted and already covered up by someone else.

I noticed every guy we picked is pretty good at size besides 1 5'11 guy i believe. Good picking, also noticed we didnt pick a goaltender, kinda suprised me we didnt take someone in the later rounds.

Picks i like:
-Jakub Kindl (ill say i like it now)
-JUSTIN ABDELKADER (Michigander, msu kid, plenty of time to emerge, hell i think take the wings drafting him and run with it, wanting to life out his life long goal to make the club, hes a project, let it be. )
-CHRISTOFER LOFBERG: someone on RWC.com said he put up as many pts as bergfors in less games in the same league. Somethign like that, and bergfors and kopitar i heard were on the same team, but Fofberg has no one, sounds like this kid is a very intreging prospect, hopefully a gem in a few years
-MATTIAS RITOLA: a few reports said he was ranked in the top5 swedes in this weak swede draft, i think he could be another long term project, hes a mid round pick so who knows...

I dont like:

BRETTON STAMLER
DARREN HELM
JEFF MAY

others im inbetween... who knows

Old
07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40
i like a few of the picks but at the later rounds there seamed to be a lot more guys around and we didnt bite for some reason. I wanted McArdle over Kindl, we dont really need a dman drafted this year, but i guess if holland sees him as a project like kronwall was, by the time hes good 3-5 years from now when we might need a dman, kindl should be boomed or busted and already covered up by someone else.

I noticed every guy we picked is pretty good at size besides 1 5'11 guy i believe. Good picking, also noticed we didnt pick a goaltender, kinda suprised me we didnt take someone in the later rounds.

Picks i like:
-Jakub Kindl (ill say i like it now)
-JUSTIN ABDELKADER (Michigander, msu kid, plenty of time to emerge, hell i think take the wings drafting him and run with it, wanting to life out his life long goal to make the club, hes a project, let it be. )
-CHRISTOFER LOFBERG: someone on RWC.com said he put up as many pts as bergfors in less games in the same league. Somethign like that, and bergfors and kopitar i heard were on the same team, but Fofberg has no one, sounds like this kid is a very intreging prospect, hopefully a gem in a few years
-MATTIAS RITOLA: a few reports said he was ranked in the top5 swedes in this weak swede draft, i think he could be another long term project, hes a mid round pick so who knows...

I dont like:

BRETTON STAMLER
DARREN HELM
JEFF MAY

others im inbetween... who knows

I like May. Good value where he was picked.

One thing you have to remember. We don't have time for long-term projects anymore.
We lose the Euros after two years now. We can't just store them in Sweden until they are ready.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:41 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ape called Yoko
I have been away for the weekend and missed the draft. So im one of the swedish nerds that never replied.

So here´s my take on Löfberg: Ive seen Löfberg a couple of times, and he is one of my favourites in J20 SuperElit. Big and strong kid, very good skater(despite large fram), with good technical skills. Offensively really great potential, and really hard to stop with the puck. But a pick for third round? No. Thats just insane. I bet no other team would have even drafted him, so Håkan could have waited a couple of rounds, maybe even the seventh. I like the other picks Håkan did though, especially Ryno. I think you got a really nice pick there... but it seems like Håkan is like me, when it comes to music, he refuses to listen to mainstream (if you got the metaphor)
Hey, my favorite band of all time is Guided By Voices. You don't have to convince me that mainstream thinking sucks.

There were a few Swedes I really liked.
Niklas Hjalmarsson, IMO, will be an NHL defenseman in a few years. I would have liked him in the 3/4 round.
Frederik Petterson is fast/skilled and has a huge heart. Yeah, he's tiny. But that's not supposed to matter as much in the new NHL.
What the hell happened to Alexander Hellstrom?
I thought he'd get drafted.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:53 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zzzz
Guys, you are a bit to negative when it comes to this years draft. I personally think that the wings did a solid job on the draft floor. I talked to Håkan yesterday and he was happy with the selections they made.
That's good to know.

Quote:
I have seen some of the players during the season and here are my scouting reports on those guys:

Mattias Ritola,

Is a very good skater who has great speed and acceleration… has good agility and balance, very strong on his skates… a smart player who has good hockey sense and vision… reads the play well and is a good playmaker… is the organizer when on power play… isn’t afraid of using his body, at times… can drive to the net and digs for the puck in the corners… has a solid wrist shot while his slap shot lacks power… equally good at scoring and setting up goals… is a good stick handler who can beat a defenseman one-on-one… needs to work on his finishing skills and add more upper body strength… his attitude is questionable… doesn’t put in an effort consistently…

Ritola has solid size and is well built, but he doesn’t always use his strength well. His attitude is questionable, but his speed, puckskills and hockey sense are undeniable. I believe that he could get some ice time in elitserien next year with Leksand. He could be worth an early 3rd round pick.
I just don't see it.
I've only seen Ritola at the tournament in Ann Arbor. He was completely ineffective against against the physical US team.
He just didn't seem like he played with purpose. He was not very good in those four games, while little guys like Nilsson and Pettersson played their hearts out.
I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
Johan Ryno,

He has tremendous size for a winger and is a solid skater... he does also have respectable, but not spectacular puckskills... he has good attitude and is a hard worker... he isn´t afriad of using his size to his advantage... he has good scoring touch and is dangerous around the net... he possesses above average hockey sense and uses his linemates well...

Ryno had a very good season in Division-1 this year and was among the leaders on his team in scoring. He more than doubled his goals and points from last season. He has signed a contract and will play with Oskarshamn next seaosn in Allsvenskan. He will most likely be a 3rd liner on the team next year and he also has a good chance of making the Swdish WJC team. His size and solid skills are attractive for the 5th-6th round of the draft.
Nice. But isn't he 19? He was undrafted last year, right? Couldn't he have waited another round or two?

Quote:
Christoffer Löfberg,

Christoffer is a big hulking winger who has very good skating ability and solid puck skills… has a long powerful stride and is explosive on the skates… moves very well for a big guy… handles the puck well at high speed and is able to create on his own… has good hockey sense and vision on the ice… is used in all situations… plays the point on the power play… sets up plays from the point…has a big shot… more of a scorer than a playmaker… has a nose for the net and good positioning in the offensive zone… is a liability defensively and doesn’t work hard enough on the backcheck… should use his size even more and play a bit tougher…

Löfberg had a good season where he even got some ice-time in elitserien. He has great size, skating and scoring touch. He has also developed his work ethic and now projects as a pro player down the road. He could be worth a 5th-6th round pick.
But we took him in the third ... where better prospects were available.

Quote:
Juho Mielonen,

Juho was in my opinion the best player on the Finnish team throughout the tournament... he played a very good two-way game and was effective on both ends of the rink… he has very good size and is strong along the boards… he isn’t afraid of using his body and wins a lot of battles along the boards… he is a very good skater who has quick feet and a very good stride… he moves well and is agile… he has good hockey sense and is very poised with the puck… he doesn’t hesitate to join or lead the rush… he is also very creative with the puck and doesn’t just give it up under pressure... he also has a big shot from the point… he can log on a lot of minutes and is used in all kinds of situations…

Juho has very good size, mobility and poise with and without the puck. He has very good upside down the road and I would select him early in the draft, somewhere in the late 2nd round.
He's a good pick, IMO. He stood up and played physical against Skille, Stoa, Bailey Mueller and the other physical American forwards.
However, I didn't notice much offensive skill.
I think the Pens got the best Finnish defenseman with Tommi Leinonen.

Quote:
Final words..

Kindl was a great pick in the first round considering his upside. Best player avaliable. He will look good in 3 years time next to Fischer. Posters here at the boards have expressed their desire for Bergfors, but I can tell you that you won´t be looking back at this draft in a couple of years and say, "we should have taken Bergfors"! I have seen this guy to many times at different levels and I can tell you that he is not what the wings need. A 3rd line grinder with the 19th pick overall is not good. I rather take a chance with a player like Kindl who has all-star potential, but maybe is a bigger risk player, than with an undersized grinder with average skills. You can allways sign solid 3rd liners on the market, but all-star players don´t come along cheap. You have to gamble and the wings did the right thing here!
I was not impressed with the reports I read on Bergfors.
I did want a forward (Ryan Stoa). But we need a young defenseman, too. Kindl was a very good pick. Lots of upside.

Quote:
Abdelkader is a player who I had rated in the late first round just as the Wings did, and I was happy with the selection in the 2nd round. I know that many posters and readers here at HF think that Latendresse and other picks would have been better, but I belive that 3-4 years from now, they won´t!
Latendresse was the most overrated player in the draft, next to Kohronen.
I don't know much about Abdelkader. I have a hard time believing people had him pegged as a first rounder.
A year ago, he was a high school hockey player in Michigan.
ANd if you know Michigan, High School hockey is not very good.

Good to get you opinion, Mr. ZZZ

Old
07-31-2005, 03:08 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
What the hell happened to Alexander Hellstrom?
I thought he'd get drafted.
Yea, tell me about it.

I´d really like to know how the heck, all the teams could pass on him. I thought he would be drafted for sure.

I mean, what the hell happened? Im still confused about that....

Old
07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
zetterberg40

Quote:
That's good to know.

I don't know much about Abdelkader. I have a hard time believing people had him pegged as a first rounder.
A year ago, he was a high school hockey player in Michigan.
ANd if you know Michigan, High School hockey is not very good.

Good to get you opinion, Mr. ZZZ
i dont know where you look at HS hockey but around here we've had within 4 cites a few kids drafted by the NHL due to a great HS program which made them into the college players they turned out to be. a few other kids left from my city and curreonding cites and have had great chance to be drafted but played on a division low team and didnt get looked at a ton. so i duno

Old
07-31-2005, 06:19 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
i dont know where you look at HS hockey but around here we've had within 4 cites a few kids drafted by the NHL due to a great HS program which made them into the college players they turned out to be. a few other kids left from my city and curreonding cites and have had great chance to be drafted but played on a division low team and didnt get looked at a ton. so i duno
Hmmm.
Well, I live in Ann Arbor. But I've seen a lot of high school hockey in the Oakland County area. All the good players play in other leagues. High School hockey gets the left overs.

Maybe it's not the same elsewhere in the state.

Old
07-31-2005, 07:04 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
While that may be true for the middle of the 1st round #19 (where a lot of people/writers/analysts/etc... had him pegged) he would have been a great pick at #42. Good offensive instincts/skills in a big strong body. Skating can be worked on.

Old
07-31-2005, 07:27 PM
zetterberg40

Quote:
Hmmm.
Well, I live in Ann Arbor. But I've seen a lot of high school hockey in the Oakland County area. All the good players play in other leagues. High School hockey gets the left overs.

Maybe it's not the same elsewhere in the state.
novi, livonia area, plymouth, farmington have had great programs

Old
08-01-2005, 12:55 AM
ginnungagap

Quote:
Löfberg has good potential and is a long-term project. He was take a bit higher than what I expected, but i know that Håkan knows when to pull the trigger on a player and why.
I'm glad that you, being someone who has actually talked to him and knows him beyond the mystique he's established stateside as the man behind the Datsyuk and Zetterberg picks, brought that up. There's a couple players I would have loved to see Detroit take in spots like everybody else, but the bottom line is after the first 30 picks the odds are against every player taken regardless of how much hype they get from fans. If Hakan Andersson feels like he has to take 3 or 4 swedes every draft that are completely off the radar in order to knock a home run pick out of the park every so often I say let him do what he wants to do and not worry about us here at HF.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:55 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
novi, livonia area, plymouth, farmington have had great programs
Come on, dude. For high school, those are good programs.

But I know for a fact that the best players in the area don't play HS.

When I worked as a reporter in Milford, I used to cover KVC hockey for my sports reporter.
I saw Novi a lot. Better than most HS teams. Every year, they'd take a couple kids who quit their junior team or Little Ceasers team, or whateveer.
But even those kids didn't have scouts looking at them.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:57 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnungagap
I'm glad that you, being someone who has actually talked to him and knows him beyond the mystique he's established stateside as the man behind the Datsyuk and Zetterberg picks, brought that up. There's a couple players I would have loved to see Detroit take in spots like everybody else, but the bottom line is after the first 30 picks the odds are against every player taken regardless of how much hype they get from fans. If Hakan Andersson feels like he has to take 3 or 4 swedes every draft that are completely off the radar in order to knock a home run pick out of the park every so often I say let him do what he wants to do and not worry about us here at HF.

At RWC, Matt Wuest reported that Hakan Andersson wasn't actually at the draft. His wife is expecting, so he stayed home with her. He was, however, on the phone with Holland.
Still. Makes you wonder.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:09 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
While that may be true for the middle of the 1st round #19 (where a lot of people/writers/analysts/etc... had him pegged) he would have been a great pick at #42. Good offensive instincts/skills in a big strong body. Skating can be worked on.
ALl I know is that the hockey media shook him off like a dog shakes off fleas after the CSS dropped him down to 40something of the NORTH AMERICAN skaters.

That said, I'd rather have him than Abdelkander

Old
08-01-2005, 11:47 AM
zetterberg40

Quote:
Come on, dude. For high school, those are good programs.

But I know for a fact that the best players in the area don't play HS.

When I worked as a reporter in Milford, I used to cover KVC hockey for my sports reporter.
I saw Novi a lot. Better than most HS teams. Every year, they'd take a couple kids who quit their junior team or Little Ceasers team, or whateveer.
But even those kids didn't have scouts looking at them.
i wont mention there names, 1 kid went off to a city back at his old state where he thought he was gonna be better hockey his agent said and ended up obviously going no where from the looks of it, he was a amazing forward

another kid that was in my grad class turned down OHL hockey because of a money issue, ended up biting him in the ass, his agent told me to hold out a little more and see what negotiations would happen and it backfired, the kid possesses a ton of talent, as 2-3 kids from his team this year got drafted in a OK league, like i said i dont wanna mention it...

Brent Johnson actually tried out for farmington HS hockey and made it, but got thrown up higher because of his skill or else he would have played for farmington, i know a ton of kids that went there... Kesler had the same thing happen in Livinoia, i know a ton of kids that have friends living out there that went to there schools for a while

few years ago novis top scorer went off to a lower divsion college and from the looks of it, he was too stupid honestly to stay in the school and got booted, another kid went to MSU and was told he was gonan tryout but instead he choose to get tanked and party instead of trying out and going about a career possibly...

a few kids had the potential to go places from novi/livonia/farmington, a few made it and a few either took bad advice or made bad decisions. A friend of mine also says his brother is trying out for the Whalers this fall, the kid is amazing, if he makes it ill definitly post something on the forum, his brother said his dad talked to a agent and said his brother has a strong shot or could be picked up elsewhere, and one of his friends is gonna be playing in the USHL this fall, no idea on his name tho (the kids friend) i might know it but theres a few good hockey players around here that are younger them me and it could be a number of them

Closed Thread