HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Political Stuff That Just Ain't Thread Worthy ‎- Part X

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Bayne believes that the Duck Dynasty star knew that going on GQ would result in the current controversy going on surrounding his suspension, as well as his suspension.
What the hell is "going GQ"?

Old
12-20-2013, 03:20 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
Did you just compare Duck ****ing Dynasty to the Cosby Show?

Don't "dude" me... its as good a comparison as there is... family oriented, squeaky clean(no beeping out every other word like a lot of reality shows). Cenetered around the wise and benevolent patriarch and the hijinks his kids get into...

Old
12-20-2013, 03:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Political Stuff That Just Ain't Thread Worthy ‎- Part X

I guess I should have looked around first

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-constitution/

Federal Court in Utah - Utah - says marriage equality is required by constitution

Old
12-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post

lol
lol wut

12-20-2013, 04:16 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
On the Duck Dynasty thing...

They suspended him from all future filming... The new season has already wrapped filming and starts on January 15th. Phil will be in all the episodes in the upcoming season.

I have no doubt in my mind they will lift his suspension before they start filming the season following this upcoming one. This current suspension is a brief empty gesture to appease the crazies in the NAACP and GLAAD that are spewing their nonsense currently.

In fact, I would even say that A&E realizes suspending him would garner even more attention than standing by him. Which is why they made this most likely temporary and easily reversible move.

Old
12-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
This current suspension is a brief empty gesture to appease the crazies in the NAACP and GLAAD that are spewing their nonsense currently.
Exactly, he wasn't being an ignorant backwoods bigot without the slightest understanding of Christ's teachings. Not at all. It's just the thin-skinned darkies and homos persecuting us disadvantaged white (heterosexual) males again.

Old
12-20-2013, 04:28 PM
RoryDelap
That's some bad hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Don't "dude" me... its as good a comparison as there is...

If you say so.

Old
12-20-2013, 04:29 PM
kov

I get that it's not a 1st amendment thing, that private companies get to fire/suspend/discipline employees.

But I'm really tired of how eager our culture is to sue-boycott-shout-down people. Whether it's this, or harassing an employer into firing that girl who posted a pic of herself pretending to shout at Arlington Cemetery. What the hell are these things to the rest of us?

I understand the employers perspective, I'm just disgusted with our cultural aggressive intolerance.

Old
12-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kov View Post
I get that it's not a 1st amendment thing, that private companies get to fire/suspend/discipline employees.

But I'm really tired of how eager our culture is to sue-boycott-shout-down people. Whether it's this, or harassing an employer into firing that girl who posted a pic of herself pretending to shout at Arlington Cemetery. What the hell are these things to the rest of us?

I understand the employers perspective, I'm just disgusted with our cultural aggressive intolerance.
I don't know that those things are comparable. The girl at Arlington Cemetery was a non-celebrity who took a private picture in a moment of carelessness that ended up getting plastered all over facebook (IIRC). This dunce is a wealthy celebrity who also happens to be a bigot masquerading as a "Christian." Are you really more tired of people calling for a boycott than you are of people actually displaying their bigotry? Because I have to say that for me the boycott eagerness is far behind the bigotry in terms of things I'm tired of.

Old
12-20-2013, 05:11 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

The whole Robertson/D.D. thing is embarrassing.

From Red Letter Christians...
Quote:
... In addition to his blatantly oblivious comments about race, Robertson did not merely state that he held to a conservative or traditional view of sexual ethics; instead he perpetuated an outdated stereotype of the LGBT community by articulating destructive and dehumanizing misinformation in an unhelpfully crude manner...
The rest of the article can be read here.

The bolded part is what irks me, and I'm a Christian.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:00 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Exactly, he wasn't being an ignorant backwoods bigot without the slightest understanding of Christ's teachings. Not at all. It's just the thin-skinned darkies and homos persecuting us disadvantaged white (heterosexual) males again.
Oh jeez, nothing he said was all that offensive to anyone who actually reads into it.

Stealing a candy bar and murder are both crimes. In his eyes homosexuality and bestiality are both sins. He is not ranking them or saying one is worse than the other just that they both are.

The black side of things... I really see no issue. He recounted his experience of interacting with blacks growing up. Just because he was in a rural area and racism was not the same as it was in bigger cities does not make his real life experience false or ignorant.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Oh jeez, nothing he said was all that offensive to anyone who actually reads into it.

Stealing a candy bar and murder are both crimes. In his eyes homosexuality and bestiality are both sins. He is not ranking them or saying one is worse than the other just that they both are.

The black side of things... I really see no issue. He recounted his experience of interacting with blacks growing up. Just because he was in a rural area and racism was not the same as it was in bigger cities does not make his real life experience false or ignorant.
How are those things not offensive? Comparing gays to people who have sex with animals? Implying blacks were happy in the Jim Crow south?

They're not offensive to you because you're lilly white and haven't had to face any adversity in life. Lots of other people don't share your good fortune.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:16 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How are those things not offensive? Comparing gays to people who have sex with animals? Implying blacks were happy in the Jim Crow south?

They're not offensive to you because you're lilly white and haven't had to face any adversity in life. Lots of other people don't share your good fortune.
It is simply rehashing what the bible says (at least the version he prescribes to).

He also said that he does not judge nor discriminate against any of the mentioned types of people. He said we should love everyone and everyone should love God. He does not need to judge them because God will judge them. That seems pretty tolerant to me.

Once again, I think the black side is a non-issue. He talked about his personal experience. Just because it does not match up with other peoples does not mean it is invalid.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:22 PM
kov

Does he really not judge terrorists? I find that a little hard to believe.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Ugmo

So in other words it's okay for him to be a bigot and say awful things about gays because he thinks the Bible backs him up.

He's either an imbecile or a horrible person, and most likely both.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:57 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
It is simply rehashing what the bible says (at least the version he prescribes to).

He also said that he does not judge nor discriminate against any of the mentioned types of people. He said we should love everyone and everyone should love God. He does not need to judge them because God will judge them. That seems pretty tolerant to me.

Once again, I think the black side is a non-issue. He talked about his personal experience. Just because it does not match up with other peoples does not mean it is invalid.
Oh bullsh|t.

He spewing hate and it is completely offensive.

Side with him all you like.

Old
12-20-2013, 07:11 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So in other words it's okay for him to be a bigot and say awful things about gays because he thinks the Bible backs him up.

He's either an imbecile or a horrible person, and most likely both.
I'm not buying into any of it being all that terrible. He could have compared being gay to anything that is considered a sin. The uproar would probably still been there but since his examples are more on the negative side so the uproar is even worse.

I think him saying we should not discriminate against these people is a far more important part of what he said. It shows that we should treat others well regardless of their personal choices, to me that shows tolerance.

I thought GLAAD over-reacted to the situation. I thought the NAACP way-way over-reacted to the situation.

Old
12-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
The problem is, even if he believes that homosexuality is 'just as bad' as bestiality because they're both sins, that doesn't mean it's not a reprehensible thing to say, or moronic at its core.

And the thing about African Americans is even funnier because it's not like they're going to air their grievances to a white guy in 1965. Which is kinda the whole point, you know?

There's no rational defense for his comments.

Old
12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
lol wut
Ironic, considering what Phil had to say about the Civil Rights Movement's effect on blacks in America.

12-20-2013, 10:03 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
The problem is, even if he believes that homosexuality is 'just as bad' as bestiality because they're both sins, that doesn't mean it's not a reprehensible thing to say, or moronic at its core.
You miss the point if you read the full quotes in context all he did was list out things that are sins he did not say anything was 'just as bad" as the other.

The usage is similar to saying stealing a candy bar and murder are both crimes.

Old
12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't know that those things are comparable. The girl at Arlington Cemetery was a non-celebrity who took a private picture in a moment of carelessness that ended up getting plastered all over facebook (IIRC). This dunce is a wealthy celebrity who also happens to be a bigot masquerading as a "Christian." Are you really more tired of people calling for a boycott than you are of people actually displaying their bigotry? Because I have to say that for me the boycott eagerness is far behind the bigotry in terms of things I'm tired of.
i can assure you hr is not masquerading as a Christian…and you need no quotation marks

I find it baffling/illogical that an atheist such as yourself thinks they can call someone out as a faux Christian…. the truth is, Christians are instructed to call sinners out on their sins, and at the same time offer them the Good News of Christ's redemption and forgiveness…

the truth is, most of us Christians don't do as we are told…

Old
12-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

How to destroy your career in 140 characters or less

This person is (or probably more accurately, was) the communications director for the parent company of things like OKCupid, Vimeo, CollegeHumor, Dictionary.com, etc.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Troy McClure

Ah, it sucks to try to be funny when working for a big company who wants nothing less than to ever have to answer questions about something one of its employees said.

If Daniel Tosh said this, no one would bat an eye, but because someone working for a big company said it, the Twitter army is going to get her fired. Great work, boys. I'm sure the world will be a better place after you win that battle.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

But she's a communications director who's probably headed to Africa on company business, not a standup comedian. If she's stupid enough to post that then she deserves to get fired.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Troy McClure

The sad thing here is all of the people who are so eager to get people fired over meaningless crap like this.

The people calling for her head know nothing about her, her employer, or anything else. They got offended and are now actively trying to get a total stranger fired. That's pretty pathetic.

Closed Thread