HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too bad the feed didn't cut out earlier - Habs lose 5-1

Old
12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
/fixed
You need to add Copps Coliseum to that as well. A lot of smurfs are hanging out there right now.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:20 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
If we got more or better players to chip in on the offense, I don't think we lose against Philly and Florida and this slump would be non-existent.
Teufelsdreck is correct.

We are a team without any structure whatsoever. The only semblance of structured play is on the PP where the puck is always funneled back to the Point for a slapper.

We have the offensive firepower on this team right now. Its too bad that we are approaching offense like a team that plays pond hockey on the weekends.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:21 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
This ressembles last year's slide.

This team looks spent again.
MT doesn't have the horses to play his kind of game. Way too many smaller forwards that are running on empty tanks now.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Kind Sir

As a St Louisan, I offer the following observation/question:

This is the best bLOSE team I've watched for over a decade; they ain't world-beaters, but they are good. Recently (oh, let's say the last five or six years), we've dealt with a shakey ownership situation (resolved last season....finally), a basement-dwelling fiasco of a squad, three or four coaches, and two GM's. The supposed success of this rebuild is squarely on the latter: the GM's. It took a few years, but there was "a plan" from which mngt did not deviate, in spite of the change in mngt and ownership that could not afford first tier talent.

Now then,

The Habs aren't quite as pathetic as some of you make them out to be. There are pieces around which you can build, but....who assembled this "band of smurfs"? Who decided what to pay each of them, and for how long? I like MB (in spite of the own goal he scored for the opposition in the playoffs), but is your plan to get smaller in the NHL? This IS North American hockey, you know. Furthermore, don't expect a grinding game to develope, let alone succeed, without the size to pound the boards, clear the crease, and open shooting lanes. Your coach lives in a different world.

I wish you luck the rest of the season....except against us. Oh, and please kill Boston. The Red Sox beat the Cardinals in the World Series, and the Patriots beat the Rams in the Superbowl. We have issues.

Kind Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:20 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivefor25 View Post
Strategy. That is the problem. What is MB's strategy?
He has said from day one that it is build from within and allowing our draft picks to develop.

Quote:
I never expected the Habs to win the cup this year or even next year but, with our core, I expected us to use the next 2 years to build the remaining pieces. What does MB do instead? Bouillon, Briere, Desharnais,Murray, etc - these are gap moves with absolutely no purpose for a 5 year plan (MB is in year 3).
Gap moves allow our prospects to develop on a realistic progression rather than dumping them into the deep end of the pool with no swimming lesson.

Quote:
Play Tinordi and maybe even Beaulieu. Trade smaller players for big, young 3rd line / 4th line grinders (you won't get much more for them) that will be ready in a couple of years.
Now you are saying you are ready to wait a couple of years for prospects to develop. And if you can believe what you read, MB has been looking at what players such as Gionta might bring in return

Quote:
Instead MB plugs holes with useless players that cost us over $ 10 M and serve no long term purpose. Like i said - where is the strategy?
None of these new players are signed to long term contracts. They were supposed to help keep the team relatively competitive until the pipeline of talent begins to pay off.

Quote:
I have to say - not impressed with MB so far. Let's hope they are just learning curves and that he will adjust but something is telling me this is not the case. I don't mind not winning the cup over the next couple of years but want to see a plan / a strategy evolve - I am sorry but I am not seeing it.
I see that MB is sticking to what he said he was going to do. Many posters on the other hand seem to want him to change tactics because instant gratification is the only thing that will pacify them.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:25 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Sir View Post
As a St Louisan, I offer the following observation/question:

This is the best bLOSE team I've watched for over a decade; they ain't world-beaters, but they are good. Recently (oh, let's say the last five or six years), we've dealt with a shakey ownership situation (resolved last season....finally), a basement-dwelling fiasco of a squad, three or four coaches, and two GM's. The supposed success of this rebuild is squarely on the latter: the GM's. It took a few years, but there was "a plan" from which mngt did not deviate, in spite of the change in mngt and ownership that could not afford first tier talent.

Now then,

The Habs aren't quite as pathetic as some of you make them out to be. There are pieces around which you can build, but....who assembled this "band of smurfs"? Who decided what to pay each of them, and for how long? I like MB (in spite of the own goal he scored for the opposition in the playoffs), but is your plan to get smaller in the NHL? This IS North American hockey, you know. Furthermore, don't expect a grinding game to develope, let alone succeed, without the size to pound the boards, clear the crease, and open shooting lanes. Your coach lives in a different world.

I wish you luck the rest of the season....except against us. Oh, and please kill Boston. The Red Sox beat the Cardinals in the World Series, and the Patriots beat the Rams in the Superbowl. We have issues.
I feel your pain. I am a St. Louis Cardinals fan.

One more reason to hate the city of Boston.

For whatever reason, this club has been drafting too many smallish players. It may take a long long time for that to change. And with that, physical teams like the Blues, Kings etc will be very hard to compete with.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only good that can come from this is watching the Habs get dominated by big, physical, puck possession teams can only show Bergevin that picking up idiots like Briere and extending DD is a humongous mistake.
100000% agreed... i was thinking the same thing,

bergevin BETTER be watching this and thinking "**** ..maybe i ****ed up.."

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
sheed36

I'd like to know what has happened to Subban's offensive game. He made a nice rush in the 3rd period last night but we haven't been seeing many of these type of rushes from him for a while.

Is the guy playing injured? As MT told him to concentrate more on defense first making his offensive game less effective? I don't know what happened but this isn't the same Subban we saw to start the season to me. Sad thing is he isn't putting up many points lately and yet he's still the Habs leading point getter @ 26 points. Just shows how bad the Habs really are offensively.

sheed36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I'd like to know what has happened to Subban's offensive game. He made a nice rush in the 3rd period last night but we haven't been seeing many of these type of rushes from him for a while.

Is the guy playing injured? As MT told him to concentrate more on defense first making his offensive game less effective? I don't know what happened but this isn't the same Subban we saw to start the season to me. Sad thing is he isn't putting up many points lately and yet he's still the Habs leading point getter @ 26 points. Just shows how bad the Habs really are offensively.
I guess that the system will do that to him. At the beginning of the year, when we had success, we were taking a lot more chances. We had a two men pressure and the defensemen were not afraid to go deep into the opponent's territory. Now, it barely happens anymore. It's like the coaches are holding the whole defensive squad back, even if it was partly because of the offense they provided that we had success.

Also, Subban playing mainly with Markov might have something to do with that. The General also likes to chip in offensively and, obviously, the two def can't take chances at the same time. Combine that with the fact that they are likely told to stay back and you get a less offensive Subban. I personnally don't like this, at all.

Hope Of Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Feintastic

Its not even a question of winning or losing to me, never changed my mind since day one. Im honest enough to say the habs had an excellent sequence not a long time ago but... they can finish 7th or 1st in the East it doesnt even matter... they're built for the season that's it that's all, when its time to seperate the mens from little boys they cant play. I had hope when Bergevin was hired, I thought he would change the dynamic, ok its cool they look good during the season no problems here but if our GM seriously think we stand a chance to go deep in the playoff with this kind of team he's just dumb. Im tired of the ''anything can happen in the playoff'' cliche....no just no... the habs cant win a cup with this team its just impossible.

I just laugh at all the medias/people wanting the Habs to make the playoff so bad... I mean..its my team too man but... you guys are retarted or what ? cause even if they make the cut they cant win 2 rounds...they're just not built for that...its well known.

Personally I would prefer accept to miss the playoff in the next 4 years, fall in the bottom of the ranking and draft 1st plan prospects, instead of watching a mediocre team that aint good enough to go far in the playoff anyway. Its a waste of time. They cant win with this team. They're selling a dream every year to the stupid habs fans who dont know ish and think we have a chance to win lmao.

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:24 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only good that can come from this is watching the Habs get dominated by big, physical, puck possession teams can only show Bergevin that picking up idiots like Briere and extending DD is a humongous mistake.
If he didn't know already he will never know.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:57 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feintastic View Post
...the habs cant win a cup with this team ...
WIN a cup? They can't even COMPETE for a cup with this team.

Edit: And oh, "making the playoffs" is NOT equivalent to "competing for the cup".

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:05 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Gallagher is OFF since taken off the EGG line, tonight he scored his first goal in december...
I'm starting to think splitting the EGG line is the reason Eller and Gally aren't producing anymore, although Gally could be snake bitten.

Last edited by AJMHABS: 12-20-2013 at 05:14 PM.
AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:06 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Nah someone like ryan smyth but smaller would be perfect.
That would be great!!!

Old
12-20-2013, 05:10 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Teufelsdreck is correct.

We are a team without any structure whatsoever. The only semblance of structured play is on the PP where the puck is always funneled back to the Point for a slapper.

We have the offensive firepower on this team right now. Its too bad that we are approaching offense like a team that plays pond hockey on the weekends.
We do have some offensive firepower, but many players aren't producing consistently enough and adding an elite forward could only help, of course cutting out DD, Briere, and the other passengers.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:57 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Start with Galchenyuk at center with added responsibilities.

Bergevin could shake the team up with a trade but I doubt the phone is ringing for our smurfs.
Why play the big and elite skilled center we drafted, after 12 years of looking for one, at center. Makes no sense... Oh, the Habs drafted him. I got it.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:10 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Not really. The sad thing is regardless of the score, the Blues were winning most of the battles. Berglund -- how do we land someone like him.
Lose a lot.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:10 AM
icerocket

The best teams from the West just show how far the Habs are. Not only are they big, but they are fast and skilled. Habs can't hope to compete with them. I guess size does matter sometimes.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote