HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Knocking the net off its moorings on accident/purpose

Old
12-19-2013, 10:47 PM
DickSmehlik

vCash: 500
Knocking the net off its moorings on accident/purpose

Happens all of the time but is rarely ever called and I don't understand why. Often when a player does this, he negates a good scoring chance by the opposing team and almost always gets away with it.

How many times have you seen it where a player hustles back to make a play on an opposing player and just so happens that he is also making a b-line for his net and knocks the net of it's moorings and gets a stoppage in play?

Players are sly about it and get the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time. The goalie has to be down and out and the opposing player has to be about to score a goal before they will call anything.

I think the NHL should do a 180 and call a penalty every time a player knocks his own net off (goalies included) who wasn't directed towards the net by the other team.

DickSmehlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

You'd be surprised how the net comes out of nowhere when you're backchecking while looking at the play and not straight ahead. Momentum of a player makes this hard to call so they should probably stick with the rule they have now to penalize the player who they believe knocked it off on purpose.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Jack of Blades

This just happened to Ryan Garbutt tonight, two minutes, delay of game. It's a total judgement call, but there's not much the refs can do about it unless it's unquestionably intentional.

Jack of Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Ah, the ol' Roloson special. That + shaking off his hockey mask were two of his best moves.

I miss that old *******.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:06 PM
DickSmehlik

It reminds me of the delay of game-puck over the glass penalty.

A lot of people hate that penalty now but people forget how rampant players shooting the puck out of play used to be. A totally cheap way to get a whistle. Teams used to do it multiple times, especially when they were nursing a lead, and it slowed the game down dramatically.

I think this delay of game penalty should be called similarly. Intent shouldn't matter.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Oxidized Guacamole

Hard to really prove in many cases. That's probably why.

Oxidized Guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:11 PM
DickSmehlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxidized Guacamole View Post
Hard to really prove in many cases. That's probably why.
I agree and that's why shooting the puck over the glass is an automatic penalty and so should be knocking your own net off the moorings.

I am convinced it would happen far, far less even at the expense of penalizing innocent players now and then.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Insomniac99

They should make it an automatic goal if a team knocks their own net off on purpose.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Gerbefied
Save Us Tierney!

vCash: 571
Lol Classic Osgood

Gerbefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Devilsfan992

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post
Happens all of the time but is rarely ever called and I don't understand why. Often when a player does this, he negates a good scoring chance by the opposing team and almost always gets away with it.

How many times have you seen it where a player hustles back to make a play on an opposing player and just so happens that he is also making a b-line for his net and knocks the net of it's moorings and gets a stoppage in play?

Players are sly about it and get the benefit of the doubt the majority of the time. The goalie has to be down and out and the opposing player has to be about to score a goal before they will call anything.

I think the NHL should do a 180 and call a penalty every time a player knocks his own net off (goalies included) who wasn't directed towards the net by the other team.
Not on the NHL level, but I remember when I was a senior in High School the state champion's goalie constantly did this and got away with it everytime. It aggravated the opposing teams so much

Devilsfan992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:28 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
Lol Classic Osgood
He got a lot delay-of-game calls for it too.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:29 PM
CanucksSayEh

One on Dallas tonight, but that was legit. Usually happens by accident, during battles around the net or hard back checks. A lot of guys disguise it though when they are out of position and see an oposing scoring chance developing quickly. Most that look unintentional are probably half on purpose.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

My favorite instance of this was some international game where Gretzky is in his office, fishing for a pass for an eternal length of time; the defenseman in front of him get's increasingly exasperated until he finally just shoves the net off the moorings and takes a delays of game. I think he had to go huff into a paper bag afterwards

12-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Tarasenko
Unregistered User

vCash: 825
Few penalties got called for knocking the net off its moorings. It should be more, but man, it's the NHL.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Spez

Sens got robbed vs the leafs in a playoff game from Alyn McCauley pushing the net off just before the puck went in the net. It would have sent the game to OT in a series the sens were leading 2-1. It wasn't why they lost the series but it's too bad they didn't have a rule for situations like that where a good goal should be awarded.

What I would like to see is if a player pushes the net intentionally and the puck ends up going in, the goal should stand even if it's a split second after the whistle is blown. That wouldn't stop it from ever happening again but it might be a good deterrence knowing a goal might still count if you push the net off on purpose trying to prevent one.

Spez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Yesterday the net came off next to Brodeur but the play went the other way, so I guess the referees thought Marty would fix it.. He just looked at it and so they blew the whistle when the Devils offense was getting set up.. The ref came over to fix it and probably said to Marty "You'd rather not fix the net and end your team's momentum in the offensive zone?".. Not sure what Marty was thinking but I applaud a good ref trolling

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:04 AM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
They should make it an automatic goal if a team knocks their own net off on purpose.
If it's within the last 2 minutes of the third period and the penalized team is leading, or in the last 2 minutes of overtime (regular-season only), it's a penalty shot.

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:16 AM
thekernel

I've seen it called once or twice this year. It's a very hard call to make though, it has to clearly be intentional and there has to be NO contact from the opposing team or even from other players. It's annoying when it's clearly on purpose but they can't call it, but players do have to be wary not to fill the criteria for the call.

thekernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:18 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Yesterday the net came off next to Brodeur but the play went the other way, so I guess the referees thought Marty would fix it.. He just looked at it and so they blew the whistle when the Devils offense was getting set up.. The ref came over to fix it and probably said to Marty "You'd rather not fix the net and end your team's momentum in the offensive zone?".. Not sure what Marty was thinking but I applaud a good ref trolling
Isn't the ref supposed to fix it himself while play is at the other end?

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:30 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
It reminds me of the delay of game-puck over the glass penalty.

A lot of people hate that penalty now but people forget how rampant players shooting the puck out of play used to be. A totally cheap way to get a whistle. Teams used to do it multiple times, especially when they were nursing a lead, and it slowed the game down dramatically.

I think this delay of game penalty should be called similarly. Intent shouldn't matter.
I totally agree. I hate it when a defender knocks the net off. I have seen a lot of plays where a team will barely defend a 2-on-1, be in complete chaos in their zone, and a trailing defender will "fall" into the net to knock it off and get a whistle. That defending team is in utter disarray, and would have given up at least another scoring chance or more. If the NHL is serious about wanting more scoring, this is a perfect place to start cracking the whip.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:26 AM
DickSmehlik

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
If the NHL is serious about wanting more scoring, this is a perfect place to start cracking the whip.
Agreed 100%.

It's just one more example on how indifferent the NHL is to offensive play.

Old
12-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Nick Schultz (Defence - Edmonton) does this all the time.

He did it in Minnesota too.

Used a lot by D-men, when their goalie is out of place, and the team is scrambling.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckssayeh View Post
one on dallas tonight, but that was legit. Usually happens by accident, during battles around the net or hard back checks. a lot of guys disguise it though when they are out of position and see an oposing scoring chance developing quickly. most that look unintentional are probably half on purpose.
this

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Players caught out of position shouldn't have an out by "accidentally" knocking the net off. The threat of a penalty would force them to stay in control and be out of position for another second or two...the way it should be. I don't mind an over-the-glass type auto minor for it.

The only reason for a non-call should be when a player gets knocked into the net. There could be contentious scenarios but usually not during clear scoring chances.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:48 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote