HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jason Allison is damaged goods

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Jason Allison is damaged goods

I'd be suprised to see Allison back on the ice this season and possibly ever again, and even if he returns who knows if he will be half the player he was before injury, like Lindros.

This is just like when the Kings aquired Rick Martin many years ago and he only played a few games before suffering a career ending head injury.

You could be optimistic if Allison was getting better, but he isn't, he gets headaches when he skates or rides the stationary bike, so talk of playing in intense NHL games is totally out of the question.

It's too bad to see head injuries limit yet another franchise center, first Lindros and now Allison. The league needs to solve this concussion issue, before more of its star players get potential career ending injuries.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:35 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
It's too bad to see head injuries limit yet another franchise center, first Lindros and now Allison. The league needs to solve this concussion issue, before more of its star players get potential career ending injuries.
I agree with what you're saying... but in Allison's case, wasn't this injury the result of a freak accident? I thought I read that he fell awkwardly and collided with another player during a Kings' practice.

If they want to do something about rock-hard elbow and shoulder pads, that's fine with me... but with guys this big moving around this fast, there's just so much you can do. In Allison's case, if what I said is correct, then I don't know what kind of action the league could have taken to prevent it.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:54 AM
IronMosher

Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I agree with what you're saying... but in Allison's case, wasn't this injury the result of a freak accident? I thought I read that he fell awkwardly and collided with another player during a Kings' practice.

If they want to do something about rock-hard elbow and shoulder pads, that's fine with me... but with guys this big moving around this fast, there's just so much you can do. In Allison's case, if what I said is correct, then I don't know what kind of action the league could have taken to prevent it.

On a side note: I like the Oiler girl....and if only more people knew who the Air Raid Siren was.

Old
09-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Wow, that really sucks big time. Hope he can get better and actually continue to play hockey. But if he is like Lindros.... If he can recover a bit, he might still be able to play. He certainly was not as physical as Lindros was in his day.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Question: what is the latest official team word on Allison? That is, not fan/media speculation.

Thanks in advance.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:15 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Oh man...
that really sucks...

Allison is the type of guy you could still like if he was on an other team...
I hope he can take a year off or whatever and come back?

Old
09-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Question: what is the latest official team word on Allison? That is, not fan/media speculation.

Thanks in advance.

The last I read was an article posted on the LA Kings board that he and deadmarsh will most likely not play in the season opener

Old
09-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Thanks in advance.
On the radio last night Andy Murray said that he is "improving rapidly" and skating every day although he has not been in contact drills yet.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Thanks. Was wondering if I had missed something new, given the hyperbolic tone of the thread. Apparently, I didn't.

Old
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Face Wash

Herby, I think you're over exagerrating a bit. Allison had three episodes within a few weeks which involved a whiplash like motion to his head.

Unfortunately not even the most brilliant neurologists in the world can guess what's going on with Allison's head. It's wait and see, but I don't believe Allison will be out all season. If he's skating now, something Deadmarsh completely STOPPED doing last season, then he will eventually be on the ice for the Kings.

As to his level of play once he returns?? We'll just have to see... Lindros has had A LOT of concussions and while not "what he once was", he was certainly productive last season.

Everyone's different, we'll just have to see.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:00 PM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
I'd be suprised to see Allison back on the ice this season and possibly ever again, and even if he returns who knows if he will be half the player he was before injury, like Lindros.

This is just like when the Kings aquired Rick Martin many years ago and he only played a few games before suffering a career ending head injury.

You could be optimistic if Allison was getting better, but he isn't, he gets headaches when he skates or rides the stationary bike, so talk of playing in intense NHL games is totally out of the question.

the reason that i remain optimistic about allison not becoming like lindros is that i don't think allison was ever as physically dominating as lindros was. sure allison is a big player and he likes to throw the body. but, i think his game is more based on using his size to hold the puck and make plays, rather than use his size to hammer opposing defensemen. as such, i think that concussions for him really are not that likely and won't force him to alter his game that much.

Old
09-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser
the reason that i remain optimistic about allison not becoming like lindros is that i don't think allison was ever as physically dominating as lindros was. sure allison is a big player and he likes to throw the body. but, i think his game is more based on using his size to hold the puck and make plays, rather than use his size to hammer opposing defensemen.
Lindros is also one of the fastest big power forwards out there. At that velocity, injuries are probably more likely.

Old
09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Grady41

Quote:

No as Face wash says below "Allison had three episodes within a few weeks which involved a whiplash like motion to his head."

that how his concussion happened

Deadmarsh however collided with Craig Johnson and CJ kneed him in the jaw or something like that which is propbably what you read

Cammaleri concussion last season was caused by a soccer ball

Old
09-30-2003, 08:49 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady41
Deadmarsh however collided with Craig Johnson and CJ kneed him in the jaw or something like that which is propbably what you read
Thanks, that's the incident I was thinking of. For some reason I thought it was Allison- you need a programme to keep track of all the Kings' injuries...

Old
09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
... I don't know what kind of action the league could have taken to prevent it.
I've been saying it here and on Fanhome. Mandatory facial protection. Many concussions have occurred not through cranial trauma, but facial trauma. Facial trauma is probably a more biomechanically efficient way to inflict a concussion than cranial trauma (why do you think that boxers aim for the nose and chin rather than whatever part of the cranium they can hit within the rules?). Beyond that, numerous concussions on the ice have occured that way: Kariya, Lafontaine, Lindros (off the top of my head)... Not to mention severe ocular trauma.

And while we're at it, perhaps also increase the robustness of cranial protection. That too, would be easy to do. Who cares if helmets are twice as thick as they are currently? This can probably achieved with relatively little extra weight.

Fact is, the league and the NHLPA would rather promote a code of conduct which signals a willingness to drop the gloves at the expense adequate protection which would prolong the careers of star players. The soft elbow pad guidelines are an improvement, but they're still ducking the main issue. If you absolutely must have fighting in the game, and I understand the argument in favour of it, then mandate visors which snap on and off: guys want to fight, they drop the gloves and they snap off their own visor, or each other's visor. Compared to the NFL's outlook on facial and cranial protection, the NHL and the NHLPA are a couple generations behind in their thinking. So if they actually had made it a priority to solve the problem, then they would have.

Old
09-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Grady41

Quote:
Thanks, that's the incident I was thinking of. For some reason I thought it was Allison- you need a programme to keep track of all the Kings' injuries...
Your welcome
and...
Yeah you do
I've completly forgotten what Miller's Problem is
and Thomas Zizka I've heard he broke his finger and thats why he hasn't played Grebs has some kind of deep bone bruise that he got in Russia what the hell is going on

Old
09-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Your welcome
and...
Yeah you do
I've completly forgotten what Miller's Problem is
and Thomas Zizka I've heard he broke his finger and thats why he hasn't played Grebs has some kind of deep bone bruise that he got in Russia what the hell is going on
It's the crown! The need to bring back the shield jersey to protect them

Old
10-01-2003, 12:20 AM
Grady41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
It's the crown! The need to bring back the shield jersey to protect them
Lets hope they do that fast then
Brad Norton got injured tonight (not even joking)
and seriously what wrong with Miller?

Old
10-01-2003, 01:54 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:

no need to panic just yet. in the past, players have gone through much more than 6-8months of concussion related symptoms without having their careers ruined. kolanos missed all of last season and is having a strong pre-season to date. it might be a while, but if he takes care of himself he could mke a full recovery. if by mid-season the problem is persisting then you may be looking at something career threatening.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:16 AM
jfont

Awards:
just to update...Norton will be out at least 3 months (if not the year). his arm was slashed with a skate and probably tore through the tendon.

10-01-2003, 07:20 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Lets hope they do that fast then
Brad Norton got injured tonight (not even joking)
and seriously what wrong with Miller?
Sorry. Fractured hand.

Old
10-01-2003, 07:26 AM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Allison and Deader will both be back.......Allison concussions were a fluke to stat with, Deader has a helmet that protects him from more concussions

Old
10-01-2003, 02:11 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE55
Allison and Deader will both be back.......Allison concussions were a fluke to stat with, Deader has a helmet that protects him from more concussions
a helmet and a mullet to protect him from concussions!

Old
10-02-2003, 08:56 AM
H_I

An article on Allison's recovery.

http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/s...duha29/BNStory

Old
10-02-2003, 09:50 AM
kingbrath

thats good news...it sounds like Allison might not miss that much time at all!
cross your fingers!!!!

Closed Thread