HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the fans?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
  #51
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
I'm not sure about waiting until game day - you'd likely have good success - but I normally buy tickets the day before on Stubhub. Like Lewer said, there's no way I even think about buying from Captial Tickets now. No way. And that's less money for the team.

But that's the way it goes when tickets are so plentiful.

With all the doom and gloom, it's pretty sweet to decide the day before, or game day, to catch the game live instead of at home. When the team gets better and tickets start becoming in-demand, this will not be the case anymore.

Embrace the terrible hockey.
Ahhh ok, thanks a lot!

2Cowen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:07 PM
  #52
Maple Leaf Forever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
For tickets check out Vivid tickets.com ......A Leaf fan trying to assist Sens fans ..Oh well it's Xmas !

Maple Leaf Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:54 PM
  #53
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
1) no more free tickets
2) slumping team
3) poor home record
4) built-up expectations (maybe unrealistic ones) are being shattered
5) AlfieGate fallout

Not giving excuses here, just reasons.
6) cheap fanbase
7) best excuse makers in the league
8) no more freebees
9) would rather watch on TV as many feel that was crucial in the Rogers deal
10) Melnyk haters

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:56 PM
  #54
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Fun Fact: there are lots of great Sens fans, there just aren't a lot of us.

City of ~1,000,000 people
- Probably 20% are Habs fans (holdovers from "pre-Sens" days + only a 2 hour drive away + East End Francophone population + Gatineau)
- Probably 15% (at least) are Leafs fans (holdovers from "pre-Sens" days + only a 4 hour drive away + the fact that Leafs fans are stubborn and pass on their allegiances to their kids)

So right off the bat, you've eliminated anywhere from 30-40% of your population from supporting your team. Then you have the fair-weather fans, that's probably another ~15-25% of your fanbase. And then you have to consider that as a Federal Public Servant town, a maybe-not-so-small-and-significant chunk of our population come from other parts of the country, and they bring their allegiances with them. And then, of course, not everyone in Canada loves hockey, so that's another chunk gone.


Honestly, we have the smallest fanbase in Canada, and that's including Winnipeg, IMO. We're sandwiched between the two largest hockey fanbase/markets in the world. A lot of people keep saying "wait until the new generation of Sens fans are old enough to buy tickets", but at the rate that Leafs and Habs fans are passing their allegiances on to their kids, and the fact that both teams are easily within driving distance, I'm not super-confident that we'll ever be anything other than Canada's 7th team. Maybe 6th, if the market really cools down in Winnipeg over the next 10 or so years.
Please refer to 7) in your program please.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
  #55
Proust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by askformore View Post
i am not going to response to the trolls. Even with one last fan standing, we should cheer our hearts out. We are sens army, united in red. Go sens go!!!

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:00 PM
  #56
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
I have partial season tickets and watch every other game on TV. This is the laziest Sens team I've seen in recent memory, especially compared to the teams they've iced the last 2 seasons. Watching a team lose because of lack of talent sucks, but watching a team lose because of laziness is frustrating. It takes all the enjoyment out of it.
I have a half season also and while the results are not there, I cannot say that they are lazy, or not putting in the effort. Their effort is misguided and this team's problem is not effort.

It is all mental.

I never understand how someone watches a game, especially live, at ice level and can say that these guys are lazy. We can watch hamsters on a wheel, scurrying their little paws like Conacher does, but stupid is as stupid does. And these guys are stupid right now.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  #57
LynxBud
Registered User
 
LynxBud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gloucester
Country: Canada
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Robin Lehner, a young Swedish hockey player who normally stumbles to find grasp of long sentences in a fluid manner, used a word that isn't in most people's vocabulary to describe the current state of the Sens locker-room in an interview yesterday:

Nonchalant.

The fans are only mirroring the team. Man, did Lehner ever nail that one in the head.
I hadn't heard about that. That just sucks. It's almost like an official statement that the team just doesn't care.
Watching some of their games, it's definitely not hard to believe.

LynxBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:31 PM
  #58
Rals
Registered User
 
Rals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
They are sick of being kicked in the dick by this team.

Rals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:49 PM
  #59
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,143
vCash: 500
It's cold outside?

I love going to the games no matter what. Especially now that the tickets are around 10 bucks I go all the time

Rumcajs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:52 PM
  #60
dpw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Another reason for poor attendance is technology.

People can steam the games from their phone FFS.

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  #61
Ohhh Franco
Registered User
 
Ohhh Franco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw View Post
Another reason for poor attendance is technology.

People can steam the games from their phone FFS.
Nothing beats being at the game.

There's loooooooooootttttsssss of cheap people in this city. Ottawa is full of people who think everything should be handed to them.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:56 PM
  #62
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.
 
GimmeMyJetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 666
vCash: 500
I find it funny how some people on here are really just sheep following the opinion of a few tidbits of news they garnered either from opinions on these forums or bloggers/columinsts/television.

I'm glad you all know the background details of everything that occurs with the Senators because it's the only way any of you would know that Melnyk is not able to spend.

a budget team does not equal not being able to make moves. No one knows what the exact budget is any ways.

I know it feels good to have an excuse to fall back on so you can ditch the team whenever they play badly and have a reason that other sheep will baa along with.

Many teams operate on a budget and are able to be competitive...hellooooooo Nashville!

This team made the playoffs last year with a significantly worse team. Now they played better then our current team but there is no doubt they were way worse on paper.

Anyone who thinks Melnyk is to blame is out of their minds. This is on the players and the coaching staff.

When you say Melnyk/Budget all I hear is I'm fickle, hear me baa!

With that said the reality is Fairweather/Fickle fans will always plague our market, and probably any market. I guess the good thing is they are probably awesome fans when the team is winning games.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 02:57 PM
  #63
askformore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
I got level 100 row c for $40 a piece. I was wondering why it was so cheap, but someone mentioned you should enjoy it while it's cheap right now. I will look for last minute deal on stubhub, that's usually the best time. After each and every Sens game I go to, I end up losing my voice. I give credit to the four topless ceci kids though hahaha

askformore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:01 PM
  #64
Rondo Hatton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic
1) no more free tickets
2) slumping team
3) poor home record
4) built-up expectations (maybe unrealistic ones) are being shattered
5) AlfieGate fallout

Not giving excuses here, just reasons.

6) cheap fanbase
7) best excuse makers in the league
8) no more freebees
9) would rather watch on TV as many feel that was crucial in the Rogers deal
10) Melnyk haters
Most of those are valid reasons but ignore the heart of the matter. Ottawa is not a great sports town. I'm old enough to remember the WHA and Ottawa was one of he first franchises to fold. Fact is they really shouldn't have been granted an NHL franchise in the first place. Hamilton had the superior bid in every respect - including a season ticket commitment of 13 000. Ottawa will sell out again once they have a top tier team or if every home game is versus Montreal or Toronto

Rondo Hatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  #65
Golden
Börk Börk Börk
 
Golden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,693
vCash: 500
What an absolutely uplifting thread about the city of Ottawa. I wonder why anyone even lives here.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  #66
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw View Post
Another reason for poor attendance is technology.

People can steam the games from their phone FFS.
Interesting. I did not know that every other Canadian NHL city did not have cell phone technology. Must be why their attendance is still going strong.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:28 PM
  #67
StefanW
Get well, Bryan
 
StefanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
I don't think the issue is simply with the fans. Fans supported this team the past two seasons during the rebuild, and would probably still be supporting it at the usual level if it was not for the budget stuff (which includes not signing Alfie, the casino fiasco over summer, continual media reports about the team losing cash, being a cap floor team, etc etc).

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:21 PM
  #68
LynxBud
Registered User
 
LynxBud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gloucester
Country: Canada
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I don't think the issue is simply with the fans. Fans supported this team the past two seasons during the rebuild, and would probably still be supporting it at the usual level if it was not for the budget stuff (which includes not signing Alfie, the casino fiasco over summer, continual media reports about the team losing cash, being a cap floor team, etc etc).
It's almost like maybe our fanbase just knows too much about the business side of the team we cheer for.

Personally I just can't justify spending the money or time while on my limited budget to go watch this team live.
Outside of a few players who actually play their hearts out, most of the team is just very dull to watch this season.

I have two tickets to the Binghamton Senators game when they play the Hamilton Bulldogs. Those are tickets I will gladly use because I genuinely feel like I'm going to get my time and money's worth out of that game. With the Ottawa Senators, it just feels like a gamble. They'll either play hard and win/lose valiantly or they'll just be a complete miserable bore to watch. Not to mention it's a lot more expensive.

LynxBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:24 PM
  #69
Mawlrat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
I usually get to go to 1 game a year because of past financial ability. So far, I have already been to 3 games. Each game was had very poor and unimpressive play by the Sens. It felt like I was watching a team that had no drive, no sense of urgency, no passion. It was a completely different team but with all the same players than when I watched them last year (minus the obvious).

Fans will start to care when the team cares about each other. This team doesn't care about each other. It shows in the way they make their passes, poor defensive plays, lame entries in to the offensive zone, careless penalties taken... and I could go on.

With all that said I'm going to my next game Saturday and really hope they will play with at least some drive, or urgency. I wish they would get rid of the idea that they have to play better for the better teams and force all the other teams to play up to them.

Mawlrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:35 PM
  #70
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!
 
Rocket Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Capital of Canada!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by askformore View Post
Today I went to my first Sens game this season, and wow it was depressing. I never seen such a crowd like tonight in all of the entire time that I went to Sens games in my life. I really hope it was just tonight, and other games were better. Ottawa is suppose to be a hockey town!
First of all when an owner comes out and say's he's not spending money on the Team, who in there right mind wants to go spend $200 & up on a game where they are probably going to lose???

Secondly, Ottawa Is The Town That Fun Forgot……

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:57 PM
  #71
Ron Jeremy
Registered User
 
Ron Jeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Go to a game in Ottawa then go to one in Montreal. It's like a different league. Totally different experience. Ottawa crowds are boring as $hit.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:21 PM
  #72
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
What an absolutely uplifting thread about the city of Ottawa. I wonder why anyone even lives here.
I often wonder that myself. It was alluded to either earlier in this thread (or perhaps another thread), but this city has always had a strange aura.

It's hard to explain. The best way I can say it, is that it always feels like it's Monday morning in Ottawa.

It's funny, I spent nearly 20 years growing up and living in the city, and having a constant bit of malaise always felt normal. It's not until you move out of the city and go back (business, shopping, visiting, and whatever) that you really notice the unique Ottawa vibe.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:57 PM
  #73
sandwich
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Can't believe no one has mentioned the location of the arena, which is great for people living in the west end and just awful for everyone else. Imagine living in Orleans, spending 30 minutes in traffic to get out of the parking lot, and another 30 minutes driving home...

sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 11:58 PM
  #74
Barbershoppe
SensNation United!
 
Barbershoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In van by the river
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Nothing beats being at the game.

There's loooooooooootttttsssss of cheap people in this city. Ottawa is full of people who think everything should be handed to them.
True that bro!

Barbershoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:03 AM
  #75
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned the location of the arena, which is great for people living in the west end and just awful for everyone else. Imagine living in Orleans, spending 30 minutes in traffic to get out of the parking lot, and another 30 minutes driving home...
Hey, 1st post, welcome to HFBoards!

Seeing as how it's your 1st post, I'll mention here that the "arena location debate" has been done to death on this site, so much so that there's almost an unwritten rule that any off-ice problems the team has is due in some part to the location of the arena.

The "Arena in Kanata" argument is as old as time. The reason no one mentions it much in these threads (and why it hadn't been mentioned yet in this one) is that generally the consensus has been reached that the location is far from ideal, and any thread that involves attendance/revenue/etc... doesn't really need to discuss the issue, as it's a given that we've universally established that it's a negative.

Usually, when we have the "Arena Debate", the argument is "whether the Sens really had much of a CHOICE in the matter of where the arena was to be built" (for a myriad of reasons: prime NCC land like Lebreton not being made available for the arena, the infrastructure of our downtown core not being suitable for 44+ home dates worth of traffic, the fact that the Kanata land it was built on raised the money to build the arena itself, as the government wouldn't pitch in a single dime, etc...), but everyone universally acknowledges that the location itself is far from ideal.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.