HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to the fans?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2014, 09:35 AM
  #126
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncleDenis View Post
Lol wut. You're saying that winning doesnt bring fans? We have one of the biggest bandwagon cities in the league. Not something to be proud of, but winning will bring more fans. I don't see how you can flat out tell me it doesn't.
It doesn't. And it hasn't. Last year the house was papered with freebies because tickets didn't sell all year. Same with other years. The paid attendance, as Leeder has been saying, as embarrassing as it is, is pretty much what it has been all along.

I have seen 300+ games in over 18 years at CTC. I have seen 11,478 watch Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr play. I was there. At the end of the day, when you have a crowd like that, in a new arena, the writing has been on the wall for a very long time.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:39 AM
  #127
porknbeans
Registered User
 
porknbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
It doesn't. And it hasn't. Last year the house was papered with freebies because tickets didn't sell all year. Same with other years. The paid attendance, as Leeder has been saying, as embarrassing as it is, is pretty much what it has been all along.

I have seen 300+ games in over 18 years at CTC. I have seen 11,478 watch Mario Lemieux, Ron Francis and Jaromir Jagr play. I was there. At the end of the day, when you have a crowd like that, in a new arena, the writing has been on the wall for a very long time.
What's embarassing about averaging 17,700 fans a game with average to above average ticket prices, 3rd most suites in the league etc. for a team that has won 1 playoff round in 7 years?

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:46 AM
  #128
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
What's embarassing about averaging 17,700 fans a game with average to above average ticket prices, 3rd most suites in the league etc. for a team that has won 1 playoff round in 7 years?
We have the cheapest tickets in Canada, by far, and we have 2000 empty seats, which is embarrasing. DylanSensFan states of the logistical issues of getting to the Saddledome, and they don't have issues. And we are better than them.

If the rest of Canada was not at 100% it wouldn't be so bad, but they are.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 09:50 AM
  #129
porknbeans
Registered User
 
porknbeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 500
look up how many suites the other Canadian teams have. Bet its 50% of what the Sens have, of which 75-80% are filled.

Do you remember the 90s and early 2000s? Edmonon, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary had some pretty mediocre to bad attendance when they had bad teams. Its only recently that the Canadian teams are mostly sold out. They also fudge the numbers to keep the sell out streak alive, something the Sens have never really done. You can pretty much log on game day and get tickets to the Oilers Flames hell even the Jets.

porknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
  #130
Human Megaphone
Registered User
 
Human Megaphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
DylanSensFan states of the logistical issues of getting to the Saddledome, and they don't have issues.
That's a load of BS. The Saddledome is directly on the LRT, which is accessible from anywhere in the city. It's also downtown.

I'd go to more games if I didn't have to drive to CTC. That said, I can appreciate that we probably wouldn't have a team if it wasn't out there (according to Bruce Firestone).

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
  #131
DrunkUncleDenis
No rispek...
 
DrunkUncleDenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Campus
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
That's a load of BS. The Saddledome is directly on the LRT, which is accessible from anywhere in the city. It's also downtown.

I'd go to more games if I didn't have to drive to CTC. That said, I can appreciate that we probably wouldn't have a team if it wasn't out there (according to Bruce Firestone).
I was in Calgary in August and support this post 100%. Second part of it too.

DrunkUncleDenis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:07 PM
  #132
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans View Post
look up how many suites the other Canadian teams have. Bet its 50% of what the Sens have, of which 75-80% are filled.

Do you remember the 90s and early 2000s? Edmonon, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary had some pretty mediocre to bad attendance when they had bad teams. Its only recently that the Canadian teams are mostly sold out. They also fudge the numbers to keep the sell out streak alive, something the Sens have never really done. You can pretty much log on game day and get tickets to the Oilers Flames hell even the Jets.
That's ********. I've been to a boatload of games in the past few years that were announced as sell-outs where the bowl maybe had 16,000 people. They used to just give away whatever tickets weren't sold (the whole writing them off as an expense thing). They are just as guilty as fudging the sellout streaks as any other team.

The Sens are just a poorly run and marketed team taking for granted that a certain number of people will show up regardless of whatever issues the organization chooses not to address.

They do have two things that are keeping the team both competitive and in Ottawa:

1) The hockey department. The Murrays, the scouts, the coaches, etc... are arguably the best group in the league when it comes to drafting, acquiring and developing young players.

2) The building and Capital Tickets. These provide income most of the teams don't have and help supplement for the lower ticket prices and empty seats.

I'm not really sure how they do it (personally I think the generic, safe rock music they use in EVERY highlight video/commercial is to blame) but they manage to take a young, exciting team and make them boring. It just feels like someone's dad is making all the decisions when it comes to the messaging because it's never cool.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:10 PM
  #133
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,732
vCash: 500
Would you rather have low attendance numbers filled with die hard fans that create an amazing atmosphere, or a sold out building full of suits that sit on their hands?

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:11 PM
  #134
Sensfan5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
what it all boils down to is:

-Ottawa sandwiched between the 2 fan bases and hockey markets in the world
-Also we have the smallest Canadian fan base, in time it will grow but right now we have the smallest fan base.
-Arena location is far from ideal, whatever anyone says.
-Sens fans are cheap and a lot of them are bandwagoners, dont financially support the team when they are bad or not performing to expectations

I do not consider myself a fairweather by any means. I go too at least 5 games a year, good or bad team. I would go to more but im a student not making a huge wage. But i go when i can. While I don't find the location ideal, I still make the trip without complaint. I usually take the bus, less time than driving, specially since I'm in Orleans. I'm headed to the game tonight, my 5th of the season. Also going on the 18th vs New york and the 30th vs Tampa Bay. What bothers me the most about our fan base is that during the season they basically relied (used too since the no more freebies) on free tickets to go to games. Then come playoff, we are one of the loudest in the league.

Sensfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:13 PM
  #135
Proust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I'm not really sure how they do it (personally I think the generic, safe rock music they use in EVERY highlight video/commercial is to blame) but they manage to take a young, exciting team and make them boring. It just feels like someone's dad is making all the decisions when it comes to the messaging because it's never cool.
Pretty much. Someone post that picture of Tim Murray shaking Buddy Robinson's hand over their signed contract. It looks like the team's office was styled by The Brick. This may seem trivial, but it reflects the tone of the organization (antiquated) and city (boring).

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
  #136
Artanis
Registered User
 
Artanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
This is why I don't personally go to games.
1)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
2)Don't feel like paying money to see a team not play hard
3)People give me weird looks when I cheer.
4)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
5)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.

Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:26 PM
  #137
DrunkUncleDenis
No rispek...
 
DrunkUncleDenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Campus
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
This is why I don't personally go to games.
1)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
2)Don't feel like paying money to see a team not play hard
3)People give me weird looks when I cheer.
4)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
5)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.

DrunkUncleDenis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
  #138
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
This is why I don't personally go to games.
1)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
2)Don't feel like paying money to see a team not play hard
3)People give me weird looks when I cheer.
4)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
5)Takes forever to get there, and even longer to get home.
The excuse making is strong in this one.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
  #139
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan5 View Post
what it all boils down to is:

-Ottawa sandwiched between the 2 fan bases and hockey markets in the world
-Also we have the smallest Canadian fan base, in time it will grow but right now we have the smallest fan base.
-Arena location is far from ideal, whatever anyone says.
-Sens fans are cheap and a lot of them are bandwagoners, dont financially support the team when they are bad or not performing to expectations

I do not consider myself a fairweather by any means. I go too at least 5 games a year, good or bad team. I would go to more but im a student not making a huge wage. But i go when i can. While I don't find the location ideal, I still make the trip without complaint. I usually take the bus, less time than driving, specially since I'm in Orleans. I'm headed to the game tonight, my 5th of the season. Also going on the 18th vs New york and the 30th vs Tampa Bay. What bothers me the most about our fan base is that during the season they basically relied (used too since the no more freebies) on free tickets to go to games. Then come playoff, we are one of the loudest in the league.
Im curious how long it takes u to bus to the CTC from Orleans. It takes maybe 30-40 minutes at most from downtown, maybe half of that to get back afterwards.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:39 PM
  #140
Artanis
Registered User
 
Artanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoutineSp00nZ View Post
The excuse making is strong in this one.
I don't know about others, but when there's a "go sens go" chant, i'm usually the only one also "chanting" it in the area.
It's just awkward.

Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 12:52 PM
  #141
The Lewler
Phil's a Jets fan!
 
The Lewler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
I've been to many Sens games, and I've never seen anyone "give a weird look" to someone for cheering.

The Lewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
  #142
Sensfan5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoutineSp00nZ View Post
Im curious how long it takes u to bus to the CTC from Orleans. It takes maybe 30-40 minutes at most from downtown, maybe half of that to get back afterwards.

An hour at most. But id rather do that then drive there.

Sensfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:48 PM
  #143
DrunkUncleDenis
No rispek...
 
DrunkUncleDenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Campus
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan5 View Post
An hour at most. But id rather do that then drive there.
This whole driving thing is overblown. Grab a pint, hang out on the concourse, take a big dump, sign up for a credit card for the sole purpose of obtaining free swag, just occupy yourself somewhere in the building for 20 minutes after the game is over. You'll sail right home after that.

DrunkUncleDenis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:08 PM
  #144
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
I'm going to put this out there now, Thursday night right after the holidays where people spent a lot of $$$ against a boring Jets team and of course.......-35 weather with a windchill warning.

Yeah.......I'm expecting 15,000 tonight.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:19 PM
  #145
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
I'm going to put this out there now, Thursday night right after the holidays where people spent a lot of $$$ against a boring Jets team and of course.......-35 weather with a windchill warning.

Yeah.......I'm expecting 15,000 tonight.
Looks reasonably full on Capital Tickets.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:22 PM
  #146
GimmeMyJetpack
Classless.
 
GimmeMyJetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Looks reasonably full on Capital Tickets.
There will be a whole bunch of no-shows tonight due to the weather.

GimmeMyJetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 02:25 PM
  #147
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!
 
GoSensGo765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
There will be a whole bunch of no-shows tonight due to the weather.
Exactly what I am saying.

A lot of season ticket holders won't be showing up because of the weather and because a lot of them are either still away on trips, just got back from a trip....and not many people are going to be buying tix today either...

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.