HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you have drafted?

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Garden_Variety

vCash: 500
Who would you have drafted?

Because everyone is pissed about who was drafted. Please everyone make a list of who you would have drafted. We will then re-visit this post in a year and compare who the Rangers drafted to everyone else's list to see who was better us or the Rangers.

To be fair your list can't have the Rangers picking 16, 40, 41, etc. Your pick order has to be the same. 12, 40, 56, 66, 77, 107, 147, 178, 211

Old
07-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden_Variety
Because everyone is pissed about who was drafted. Please everyone make a list of who you would have drafted. We will then re-visit this post in a year and compare who the Rangers drafted to everyone else's list to see who was better us or the Rangers.

To be fair your list can't have the Rangers picking 16, 40, 41, etc. Your pick order has to be the same. 12, 40, 56, 66, 77, 107, 147, 178, 211

I'm okay with Marc Staal at #12.

#40 - Paul Stastny
#56 - Robby Dee
#66 - T.J. Hensick
#77 - Danny Syvret

#107 to #211 I'm okay with. I just wished we'd take a chance on offensive players when you drafted a "sure thing" like Staal. If we manage to get one player out of every draft to become an impact player, it's a successful draft. Having said all that, the Rangers brass seem happy about little Sauer, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

However, at 56, 66, and 77, a combination of Dee, Hensick, and Syvret would have been nice, imho.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Draft Guru

Well, I really would've liked to get Joe Barnes. We would have had to take him at 56 over Cliche, which I certainly wouldn't mind. I'm almost positive the Rangers were getting ready to take Barnes at 66th, Carolina nabbed him at 64. And Minnesota had the 65th pick and were going to take him as well. So we missed out on that one unfortunately. Sauer at 40 I love. I think he is going to be a solid number 4 defenseman for us. He was injured half the year but he's got a good upside and is definitely going to play in the NHL some day.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Levitate

i'm alright with this draft at the moment so i won't complain, though i'll say that draft guru talked up barnes enough that i wish the rangers could have nabbed him

maybe syvret or something instead of flatt at least...or was anikeenko still around at that point? might have taken a flyer on him instead of flatt

i feel like this is similar to last years draft when a lot of people were upset at first because they didn't know who guys like olver, ryan, callahan, dubinsky, etc, were. a year later and we see those guys are solid prospects and look to be pretty good picks thus far. i think we'll look back and see some of these guys like cliche and dupont doing well for themselves next year and making the picks look better

Old
07-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
I'm okay with Marc Staal at #12.

#40 - Paul Stastny
#56 - Robby Dee
#66 - T.J. Hensick
#77 - Danny Syvret
I think that would be my ideal draft order too.

I would have been ecstatic if the Rangers had drafted those 4 today..... seeing them take Cliche and Flatt it's hard to be excited though after it's all said and done, and it really makes you wonder what they were thinking.

The more I read about Flatt, the more he reminds of a say Eric Cairns , what a waste of a 3rd round pick, especially when a guy like Hensick is still available.

Last edited by Sather Hater: 07-31-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old
07-31-2005, 01:54 AM
Draft Guru

There's a lot of question marks surrounding Barnes because of his poor season last year and opting out of last year's draft, and some issues with confidence and such but he's a former 2nd overall pick in the WHL Bantam Draft..a kid who's 6'4 220 with speed and playmaking ability..he's certainly got the talent to succeed, just needs to put it altogether. Is a risky prospect but has a tremendous ceiling. I guess we'll see whether I'm right or wrong, but with Carolina's thin depth up front I think this kid could be in a 'Canes uniform in 3 years.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:59 AM
NYRangers

I'll leave it up to the pros who have seen all of these guys and get paid big bucks to do so.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:38 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
There's a lot of question marks surrounding Barnes because of his poor season last year and opting out of last year's draft, and some issues with confidence and such but he's a former 2nd overall pick in the WHL Bantam Draft..a kid who's 6'4 220 with speed and playmaking ability..he's certainly got the talent to succeed, just needs to put it altogether. Is a risky prospect but has a tremendous ceiling. I guess we'll see whether I'm right or wrong, but with Carolina's thin depth up front I think this kid could be in a 'Canes uniform in 3 years.
Yeah it might have been nice to get Barnes but I've seen some good comments on
Cliche--so maybe it'll work out fine.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:28 AM
GraveyTrain09

I cant understand how we pass both Bertram and Hensick....We had a chance to pick both multiple times, yet sather picked other players, some i had never heard of before.

I think when we all look back on it we will be happy with the selections though, but as hard as i pushed for Bourret...It was hard to see us pass him up

HAHA i guess now im hoping that him being chubby in the offseason tells me that he was just another of brendl...i hope

Old
07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
I dont think sather likes drafting American born players thats how it looks to me, besides Jess,MOntoya and Sauer almost every one he picks is Canadian or European, and if im wrong let me know.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588
I dont think sather likes drafting American born players thats how it looks to me, besides Jess,MOntoya and Sauer almost every one he picks is Canadian or European, and if im wrong let me know.
Not really.

Callahan, Billy Ryan, Roche, Falardeau, Potter, Dubinsky, Lampman, Guenin, Reese, and I believe Walsh and Taylor are all American.

Plus, Ortmeyer, Greg Moore and Helminen (not drafted).

Old
07-31-2005, 06:15 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Not really.

Callahan, Billy Ryan, Roche, Falardeau, Potter, Dubinsky, Lampman, Guenin, Reese, and I believe Walsh and Taylor are all American.

Plus, Ortmeyer, Greg Moore and Helminen (not drafted).
Oh yeah forgot about all them.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:45 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588

I disagree ..I think he stays away from Euros unless rockstrom really harps on a guy. Lots of teams stayed away from Euros this year becasue of no transfer agreement between the NHL amd IHF....or whatever it is...

Old
07-31-2005, 07:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I disagree ..I think he stays away from Euros unless rockstrom really harps on a guy. Lots of teams stayed away from Euros this year becasue of no transfer agreement between the NHL amd IHF....or whatever it is...
I think that teams stayed away from Europeans because they don't want get into bidding wars with European clubs.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Lots of teams stayed away from Euros this year becasue of no transfer agreement between the NHL amd IHF....or whatever it is...
well apparently that's going to be voted on tomorrow. i know some people think that the CR and Russia won't pass it, other people i've talked to think that they'll pass it cuz they ultimately don't want to piss off the IIHF any more. they keep pissing off the IIHF and they won't get to participate in the various euro cups

Old
08-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Onion Boy

This is how I would've played it if I was sitting at the draft table with the NYR brass with all of our original picks and no knowledge of how the draft actually turned out.

16. Niklas Bergfors RW

Note: I would've stood pat at 16 waiting to take Ryan Stoa with the possibility that someone else might fall (Skille, O'Marra, or Bergfors). With Bergfors still on the board, I would've passed up Stoa for Bergfors.

27. Ryan Stoa C/LW

Note: Seeing Stoa still on the board so late I would traded our 41 and 45 picks to Colorado for 27 (I know they would do the deal because they traded that pick to Washington for 47 and 52). With 27 I would've taken Ryan Stoa. In reality Stoa lasted to 34 and in my scenario I probably overpaid for the pick, but I had him rated at 10 and seeing him available so late made it worthwhile.

40. Justin Abdelkder LW

Note: BPA, had him rated at 25. Great two-way ability, some say the best in the draft.

77. Jakub Vojta D

Note: BPA, had him at 32. Surprised he fell so far. Great offensive skills with solid defensive positioning.

107. Niklas Hjalmarsson D

Note: BPA, had him at 33. Higher on him than most, not surprised with where he was actually picked. Good offensive upside with solid defending ability. Already player 14 games in the SEL.

147. Slava Trukhno C

Note: BPA, had him at 34. Really surprised he fell so far. Gritty Russian center with great puckhandling playing in the Q.

178. Vjateslav Buravchikov D

Note: BPA, had him at 42. Like Vojta, one of the best offensive defensemen in the draft. Reminds me a bit of Sergei Zubov.

211. Mathieu Roy RW

Note: BPA, had him at 56. Small, but very skilled. Best player on a poor Q team. Can't believe he wasn't drafted.

Overall, it seems like my strategy of going BPA landed us quite a few European players even though at least two of them (Bergfors and Vojta) will be playing in the CHL next year. Had I actually known what would happen, I would've tried hard to draft Brodie Dupont and I'm thrilled the Rangers got him, but in my scenario I sacrificed that chance to get Stoa. Even though I'm not a scout (by a long shot), it's still fun to compare 5 years from now and see how everyone's personal picks stack up.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
There were two guys I liked. Paul Stastny and TJ Hensick.

Old
08-02-2005, 01:14 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I'm no expert and I'm not particularly mad about any of the Ranger picks, but based on seeing them play I would have liked Ryan Stoa and Joe Finley. But again, I'm no scout and have no problem with who the Rangers drafted, and I have actually seen Michael Sauer play before he got injured when watching Coburn and he did seem solid and energetic for a defenseman. So when I saw they got him I had no qualms with the pick. But I would have liked Stoa. And I have a feeling about Slava Trukhno.

Last edited by MidnightRanger: 08-02-2005 at 02:21 AM.
Closed Thread