HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013-14 WJC Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2014, 01:42 PM
  #201
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty
 
Dirty but Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
The 3 reasons Team USA won't compete for a medal:

http://thehockeywriters.com/team-usa...juniors-medal/
I agree with the first two but I don't think the third reason of Jon Gillies is fair.

He played well in his first two games but in the second two it's not fair to blame him. He gave USA a good chance in the Canada game and in the Russia game 2 of the 4 were 3 on 5 goals.

I'd blame the first line inability to do anything. Especially O'Regan and Barber really didn't show up at the tournament.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
  #202
Karma
Registered User
 
Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 5,573
vCash: 500
I can't take any more of the Canada vs Finland thread. Absolutely ridiculous.

Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:56 PM
  #203
Appleyard
HFB Partner
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 18,703
vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I can't take any more of the Canada vs Finland thread. Absolutely ridiculous.
The WJC threads fullstop are awful and laughable... worse than the mainboard!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:25 PM
  #204
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Finland really shutdown Canada in the third. It resembled the Flyers against the Devils/Rangers under Lavi.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM
  #205
flyershockey
Registered User
 
flyershockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,599
vCash: 500
The Canadians didn't bother to forecheck at all. They tried to do everything off the rush instead of getting it in deep and out working the Fins.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM
  #206
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,801
vCash: 500
canada should start putting together teams rather than just putting a bunch of players in jerseys. terrible coaching for those squads over the last 3 years and an apparently lack of willingness to play a team game.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
  #207
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 5,239
vCash: 500
Just got back in time to see them singing the Finnish national anthem. How did this happen?

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
  #208
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 129,963
vCash: 275
Nature of the tournament. One bad day, and you're gone.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
  #209
Totally Radivojevic
Registered User
 
Totally Radivojevic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Only saw the 3rd, by my count Laughton had 2 shifts.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:04 PM
  #210
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
Only saw the 3rd, by my count Laughton had 2 shifts.
Didn't get to watch many games but it seemed Sutter favored the younger players over the older guys like Laughton. That doesn't make much sense to bury your most veteran player and make him play out of position.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:30 PM
  #211
flyershockey
Registered User
 
flyershockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,599
vCash: 500
Laughton was my most disappointing Flyers prospect in the tournament. He just wasn't explosive at all.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:34 PM
  #212
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Didn't get to watch many games but it seemed Sutter favored the younger players over the older guys like Laughton. That doesn't make much sense to bury your most veteran player and make him play out of position.
He did nothing on the offensive end to earn minutes down two goals. Not that others were lighting it up, but he did very little offensively the whole tournament.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:36 PM
  #213
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Laughton was my most disappointing Flyers prospect in the tournament. He just wasn't explosive at all.
Canada in general was really iffy. When being explosive, you can only do so much where you can get EASILY penalized.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
  #214
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe
 
onlylordsvsmorebp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
just my opinion but after all the hype fucale received during draft as habs great pick and the way tsn announcers pumped him up after every single save, well...personally just dont see it.if i could pick any goalie in the tournament he would be halfway down my list.could have been even worse for him if not for all the quick whistles he got when refs assumed he had control but he was flat out leaky on rebound control and pucks just straight dribbling thru him.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
  #215
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
just my opinion but after all the hype fucale received during draft as habs great pick and the way tsn announcers pumped him up after every single save, well...personally just dont see it.if i could pick any goalie in the tournament he would be halfway down my list.could have been even worse for him if not for all the quick whistles he got when refs assumed he had control but he was flat out leaky on rebound control and pucks just straight dribbling thru him.
He was average. There was a reason he didn't go in the first round, however.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
  #216
phil162888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
He did nothing on the offensive end to earn minutes down two goals. Not that others were lighting it up, but he did very little offensively the whole tournament.
Actually think Laughton was in on a couple good offensive chances today (canada hardly had any). Sutter kept on sending out the hyped offensive players (Reinhart and Mcdavid) and they did nothing in fact less then nothing. That PP should have been changed up it hadn't looked good the last 3 games. This loss really was on Sutter (1) team was undisciplined (2) PP looked horrible (3) too many players playing out of position they looked lost in both offensive and defensive zones (4) Players taking extended shifts and then coasting back to their own end. (5) giving a ton of minutes to players not producing. Everyone of these issues should be addressed by the coach!

phil162888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:19 AM
  #217
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil162888 View Post
Actually think Laughton was in on a couple good offensive chances today (canada hardly had any). Sutter kept on sending out the hyped offensive players (Reinhart and Mcdavid) and they did nothing in fact less then nothing. That PP should have been changed up it hadn't looked good the last 3 games. This loss really was on Sutter (1) team was undisciplined (2) PP looked horrible (3) too many players playing out of position they looked lost in both offensive and defensive zones (4) Players taking extended shifts and then coasting back to their own end. (5) giving a ton of minutes to players not producing. Everyone of these issues should be addressed by the coach!
I thought Laughton had some chances early as well 5 on 5. I thought he played fine today. Once it became a special teams show, he got lost in the shuffle because he never gets PP time. Then in the 3rd period, he was glued to the bench for some reason. Taylor Leier was actually getting a lot of ice time late when they were trying to catch up.

I'm not down on Laughton at all after this WJC run. He showed some flashes of offensive ability and played an overall solid game. He definitely translates better to the smaller North American rinks anyway. He's going to be a real nice player for us.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:46 AM
  #218
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I'm not down on Laughton at all after this WJC run. He showed some flashes of offensive ability and played an overall solid game. He definitely translates better to the smaller North American rinks anyway. He's going to be a real nice player for us.
Agreed. Some want to point the finger at individual players for the loss, but no one stepped up in that game against Finland. It seemed too many players tried to do it all themselves instead of working as a team. And with Laughton, he definitely showed he has some nifty moves and good speed. I think he's going to be a good NHL player for sure.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:27 AM
  #219
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,749
vCash: 500
Canada just lost to Russia. Both Laughton and Leier played OK games but didn't get anything done. Vasiliev played a bit for Russia, had a couple nice plays and a bomb from the point that just missed high.

Mantha was the worst player on the ice - absolutely no intensity at all, the most passive, garbage performance I've seen at this level. Sad.

Let's see how Hagg does vs. Finland in the gold medal game.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:51 AM
  #220
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 129,963
vCash: 275
Not sure the Canadians were all that engaged. One of the issues for Canada is that there is so much pressure on a bunch a kids, and when they lose, some people see them as a disgrace to their country. They might as well bring home a bag of dog crap if it's going to be a bronze medal.


Canada needs to pick a coach, and have one coach. One guy whose job it is to be the coach of national junior teams. It's hard to ask your program to be consistent if they're picking a new coach for every tournament.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
  #221
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
Not very impressed by Leier at the tournament, but him making the team shows his ongoing improvement. He did have a nice shift in the third. Seems like a Eric Wellwood type.

Very disappointed in Laughton. His "offense" which has emerged better not be the one he displayed in the tournament where he tried to beat multiple guys over and over again. That may work in the OHL, in didn't work in the WJHC and it has 0 chance of working in the NHL.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:25 AM
  #222
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Not very impressed by Leier at the tournament, but him making the team shows his ongoing improvement. He did have a nice shift in the third. Seems like a Eric Wellwood type.
To me, Leier is the kind of 4th line player teams should be looking for. Sound defensively and able to chip in offense on occasion. A lot better than the goon squad.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
  #223
WACCAttack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not sure the Canadians were all that engaged. One of the issues for Canada is that there is so much pressure on a bunch a kids, and when they lose, some people see them as a disgrace to their country. They might as well bring home a bag of dog crap if it's going to be a bronze medal.
This is very true. It's kind of funny that, besides intense hockey fans, most people outside of Canada have no clue or don't care that this tournament event happens. Up north, it's basically a national Christmas tradition to watch them and there's the TSN hype machine.

I think it's a bit ridiculous, especially since the whole country projects onto a group of 18 and 19 year olds.

WACCAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
  #224
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty
 
Dirty but Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
I thought Laughton looked fine out there.
Even if his offensive ability wasn't showcased he looked solid on the penalty kill and solid defensive ability.
He could be next year's Sean Couturier and his offensive ability may take some time too.

As for Leier he's a sixth round pick that made team Canada, that's spectacular experience. It's not like he looked completely lost out there.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:53 AM
  #225
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
People put way too much stock into WJC games.

1) It's such a small sample size
2) Generally the only time some people get to see a certain player so they base their opinion on them from said sample size (good or bad)
3) Different style than NA game

Laughton did not have a great tourney. He'd probably say the same thing. But that doesn't take away the fact that he's a really good prospect who is much better suited for the NA game.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.