HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013-14 WJC Thread

Old
01-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
The 3 reasons Team USA won't compete for a medal:

http://thehockeywriters.com/team-usa...juniors-medal/
I agree with the first two but I don't think the third reason of Jon Gillies is fair.

He played well in his first two games but in the second two it's not fair to blame him. He gave USA a good chance in the Canada game and in the Russia game 2 of the 4 were 3 on 5 goals.

I'd blame the first line inability to do anything. Especially O'Regan and Barber really didn't show up at the tournament.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM

I can't take any more of the Canada vs Finland thread. Absolutely ridiculous.

Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I can't take any more of the Canada vs Finland thread. Absolutely ridiculous.
The WJC threads fullstop are awful and laughable... worse than the mainboard!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Finland really shutdown Canada in the third. It resembled the Flyers against the Devils/Rangers under Lavi.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM
flyershockey

The Canadians didn't bother to forecheck at all. They tried to do everything off the rush instead of getting it in deep and out working the Fins.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:28 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

canada should start putting together teams rather than just putting a bunch of players in jerseys. terrible coaching for those squads over the last 3 years and an apparently lack of willingness to play a team game.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Just got back in time to see them singing the Finnish national anthem. How did this happen?

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 275
Nature of the tournament. One bad day, and you're gone.

Old
01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Only saw the 3rd, by my count Laughton had 2 shifts.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
Only saw the 3rd, by my count Laughton had 2 shifts.
Didn't get to watch many games but it seemed Sutter favored the younger players over the older guys like Laughton. That doesn't make much sense to bury your most veteran player and make him play out of position.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:30 PM
flyershockey

Laughton was my most disappointing Flyers prospect in the tournament. He just wasn't explosive at all.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:34 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Didn't get to watch many games but it seemed Sutter favored the younger players over the older guys like Laughton. That doesn't make much sense to bury your most veteran player and make him play out of position.
He did nothing on the offensive end to earn minutes down two goals. Not that others were lighting it up, but he did very little offensively the whole tournament.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 03:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Laughton was my most disappointing Flyers prospect in the tournament. He just wasn't explosive at all.
Canada in general was really iffy. When being explosive, you can only do so much where you can get EASILY penalized.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe

just my opinion but after all the hype fucale received during draft as habs great pick and the way tsn announcers pumped him up after every single save, well...personally just dont see it.if i could pick any goalie in the tournament he would be halfway down my list.could have been even worse for him if not for all the quick whistles he got when refs assumed he had control but he was flat out leaky on rebound control and pucks just straight dribbling thru him.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 04:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlylordsvsmorebp View Post
just my opinion but after all the hype fucale received during draft as habs great pick and the way tsn announcers pumped him up after every single save, well...personally just dont see it.if i could pick any goalie in the tournament he would be halfway down my list.could have been even worse for him if not for all the quick whistles he got when refs assumed he had control but he was flat out leaky on rebound control and pucks just straight dribbling thru him.
He was average. There was a reason he didn't go in the first round, however.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
phil162888

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
He did nothing on the offensive end to earn minutes down two goals. Not that others were lighting it up, but he did very little offensively the whole tournament.
Actually think Laughton was in on a couple good offensive chances today (canada hardly had any). Sutter kept on sending out the hyped offensive players (Reinhart and Mcdavid) and they did nothing in fact less then nothing. That PP should have been changed up it hadn't looked good the last 3 games. This loss really was on Sutter (1) team was undisciplined (2) PP looked horrible (3) too many players playing out of position they looked lost in both offensive and defensive zones (4) Players taking extended shifts and then coasting back to their own end. (5) giving a ton of minutes to players not producing. Everyone of these issues should be addressed by the coach!

phil162888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:19 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil162888 View Post
Actually think Laughton was in on a couple good offensive chances today (canada hardly had any). Sutter kept on sending out the hyped offensive players (Reinhart and Mcdavid) and they did nothing in fact less then nothing. That PP should have been changed up it hadn't looked good the last 3 games. This loss really was on Sutter (1) team was undisciplined (2) PP looked horrible (3) too many players playing out of position they looked lost in both offensive and defensive zones (4) Players taking extended shifts and then coasting back to their own end. (5) giving a ton of minutes to players not producing. Everyone of these issues should be addressed by the coach!
I thought Laughton had some chances early as well 5 on 5. I thought he played fine today. Once it became a special teams show, he got lost in the shuffle because he never gets PP time. Then in the 3rd period, he was glued to the bench for some reason. Taylor Leier was actually getting a lot of ice time late when they were trying to catch up.

I'm not down on Laughton at all after this WJC run. He showed some flashes of offensive ability and played an overall solid game. He definitely translates better to the smaller North American rinks anyway. He's going to be a real nice player for us.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I'm not down on Laughton at all after this WJC run. He showed some flashes of offensive ability and played an overall solid game. He definitely translates better to the smaller North American rinks anyway. He's going to be a real nice player for us.
Agreed. Some want to point the finger at individual players for the loss, but no one stepped up in that game against Finland. It seemed too many players tried to do it all themselves instead of working as a team. And with Laughton, he definitely showed he has some nifty moves and good speed. I think he's going to be a good NHL player for sure.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Larry44

Canada just lost to Russia. Both Laughton and Leier played OK games but didn't get anything done. Vasiliev played a bit for Russia, had a couple nice plays and a bomb from the point that just missed high.

Mantha was the worst player on the ice - absolutely no intensity at all, the most passive, garbage performance I've seen at this level. Sad.

Let's see how Hagg does vs. Finland in the gold medal game.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 10:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 275
Not sure the Canadians were all that engaged. One of the issues for Canada is that there is so much pressure on a bunch a kids, and when they lose, some people see them as a disgrace to their country. They might as well bring home a bag of dog crap if it's going to be a bronze medal.

Canada needs to pick a coach, and have one coach. One guy whose job it is to be the coach of national junior teams. It's hard to ask your program to be consistent if they're picking a new coach for every tournament.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
BillDineen

Not very impressed by Leier at the tournament, but him making the team shows his ongoing improvement. He did have a nice shift in the third. Seems like a Eric Wellwood type.

Very disappointed in Laughton. His "offense" which has emerged better not be the one he displayed in the tournament where he tried to beat multiple guys over and over again. That may work in the OHL, in didn't work in the WJHC and it has 0 chance of working in the NHL.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Not very impressed by Leier at the tournament, but him making the team shows his ongoing improvement. He did have a nice shift in the third. Seems like a Eric Wellwood type.
To me, Leier is the kind of 4th line player teams should be looking for. Sound defensively and able to chip in offense on occasion. A lot better than the goon squad.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
WACCAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not sure the Canadians were all that engaged. One of the issues for Canada is that there is so much pressure on a bunch a kids, and when they lose, some people see them as a disgrace to their country. They might as well bring home a bag of dog crap if it's going to be a bronze medal.
This is very true. It's kind of funny that, besides intense hockey fans, most people outside of Canada have no clue or don't care that this tournament event happens. Up north, it's basically a national Christmas tradition to watch them and there's the TSN hype machine.

I think it's a bit ridiculous, especially since the whole country projects onto a group of 18 and 19 year olds.

WACCAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:37 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I thought Laughton looked fine out there.
Even if his offensive ability wasn't showcased he looked solid on the penalty kill and solid defensive ability.
He could be next year's Sean Couturier and his offensive ability may take some time too.

As for Leier he's a sixth round pick that made team Canada, that's spectacular experience. It's not like he looked completely lost out there.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

People put way too much stock into WJC games.

1) It's such a small sample size
2) Generally the only time some people get to see a certain player so they base their opinion on them from said sample size (good or bad)
3) Different style than NA game

Laughton did not have a great tourney. He'd probably say the same thing. But that doesn't take away the fact that he's a really good prospect who is much better suited for the NA game.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote