HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Your Call: Is Phaneuf Worth a Max-Term Contract?

Old
12-20-2013, 03:41 PM
3Fs

vCash: 500
Your Call: Is Phaneuf Worth a Max-Term Contract?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ntract/1/56570

I would not be against picking him up as a fa and giving him close to max money.
Not 7 years though, would try for 5 or 6 years prefer.

The leafs all complain about him and I am guessing when they lose him for nothing, they will appreciate what he had done for them.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
not for the flyers. Id rather have coburn than phaneuf. IN terms of playing their man coburn is worlds better. Phaneuf is a decent passer witha great shot but he is very slow and is always out of position.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
No. If they're gonna go max term at a high price I'd like it to be for someone more consistent than Phaneuf. He has a strong tendency to go full moron every now and then.

12-20-2013, 03:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
not for the flyers. Id rather have coburn than phaneuf. IN terms of playing their man coburn is worlds better. Phaneuf is a decent passer witha great shot but he is very slow and is always out of position.
I've always thought that Coburn and Phaneuf would make an excellent pairing. He's very underrated by non Leafs fans but obviously overrated by Leafs fans. Sure they may get pissed at him but then they turn around and make him sound like Jesus on ice.

I would let Kimmo walk and Mez walk (they combine for 10.5 mil in cap space) for Dion as long as it isn't 8 yrs which I imagine is what it would cost to bring him here. 5 yrs I could live with.

Hartnell getting moved would also make things easier both monetarily and in the clubhouse. Though I think I recall hearing Luke and him didn't get along very well either.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:02 PM
BrindamoursNose

No.

Although I hope to land one of him or Girardi this off-season. The Streit signing already has me upset.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 224
sure 7years but for something around 5.5m which he wouldn't want

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:25 PM
BringBackStevens

No. No more huge contracts except for very special players

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 05:37 PM
JayB

I could do it. Think that as fast rebuilt in one summer. Let Mezzy go,offer Timonen very cheap(under 3milj) contract for 3 pairing job,trade Coburn for winger (in package) or picks,then just put your cash to Girardi and Phaneuff.

Streit-Phaneuff
Grossman-Girardi
Timonen-Schenn

Last edited by JayB: 12-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 06:48 PM
CTU2fan

Why not? Cap is going up, Mez is coming off the books, Kimmo is coming off most likely too. We are talking about paying him til he's 36, that isn't really an issue. I don't love Phaneuf and he's certainly not what everyone has in mind when they talk about "we need a #1 Dman", but those guys don't really hit UFA and they tend to command an overpay if you want to trade for one.

I'd rather they explored the availability of guys like Yandle, Edler, maybe Enstrom, maybe Green if you buy that he just needs a change of scenery (I'm not sure I do, but it's possible) before going all-in on Phaneuf, but I don't mind Dion as a "plan B".

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Why not? Cap is going up, Mez is coming off the books, Kimmo is coming off most likely too. We are talking about paying him til he's 36, that isn't really an issue. I don't love Phaneuf and he's certainly not what everyone has in mind when they talk about "we need a #1 Dman", but those guys don't really hit UFA and they tend to command an overpay if you want to trade for one.

I'd rather they explored the availability of guys like Yandle, Edler, maybe Enstrom, maybe Green if you buy that he just needs a change of scenery (I'm not sure I do, but it's possible) before going all-in on Phaneuf, but I don't mind Dion as a "plan B".
I would do the Dion signing AND look to add a Edler for Simmonds + 2nd.

Dion Coburn
Grossmann Edler
Schenn Streit
Gus

Of course, if Kimmo wants to come back at 3 mill..then fine...don't do the Simmonds deal

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:30 PM
FlyingPhilly

Sure if it isn't more than $6M/year. That isn't happening though.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Clown Baby

Hah.

You're serious?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Psuhockey

No and yes. Phanuef as a player does warrant the contract he will get. However, for the Flyers it makes a ton of sense. The Flyers defense will be getting a lot cheaper in the near future as the prospects start getting added to the team. So entry level contracts plus bridge deals and those guys won't be making any real money for 5 or 6 years. Plus Pronger's contract will be ending. As far as forwards, only Voracek looks like he will be the only one commanding big dollars any time soon. So the Flyers could add Phanuef, not give up any assets in a trade, and not really hurt their cap situation.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:06 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I don't know. If it's a sub 6.0 caphit then I'd be okay long term. Anything over just seems like a contract the Flyers will regret. Not that I think Phanuef isn't good or will rapidly decline but signing him to a big contract seems like a burden. It helps our defense next year and in the short term but an again Phanuef might not look too good in a couple of years.

Coburn - Phanuef
Streit - Grossmann
Gustafsson - Schenn

That's pretty good for the next 2-3 years honestly.

Last edited by King Forsberg: 12-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.
King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I honestly wouldn't mind Phaneuf on the Flyers to replace Kimmo for next year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
kicksave27

I haven't watched much of him over the years. But what the heck happened, the first few years in the league he was a stud. Seems like the same thing kinda happened with Myers and Coburn. Did teams just figure him out (which happens with goalies).

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I don't know. If it's a sub 6.0 caphit then I'd be okay long term. Anything over just seems like a contract the Flyers will regret. Not that I think Phanuef isn't good or will rapidly decline but signing him to a big contract seems like a burden.
He will be getting at least in the $7+ cap hit if not more. It would be significantly less as a percentage of cap of what Brian Campbell got when he was signed by Chicago. There are lots of people who said that contract was burdensome but signing Campbell took a lot of pressure off Keith and Seabrook and let them continue to develop. The signing also put the Hawks into the conference finals and to a cup a year later. So does signing Phanuef allow the Flyers prospects to continue to develop organically while also getting the Flyers a step closer to the cup? Under 8, I say yes.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I haven't watched much of him over the years. But what the heck happened, the first few years in the league he was a stud. Seems like the same thing kinda happened with Myers and Coburn. Did teams just figure him out (which happens with goalies).
He's still potting over 10+ goals & hovering around .50PPG mark each season unlike Myers & Coburn though. He regressed offensively from his first few seasons in the NHL but he's still pretty damn productive back there.

Old
12-20-2013, 08:40 PM
lancer247

1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn
He played with Ulf Samuelsson as well.

He basically played with most of his nemeses in the NHL at one point.

Old
12-20-2013, 09:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be interested depending on thecap hit. If he wants 6-7 years I'd be OK with it if the cap hit was reasonable. That being said, I don't see him anywhere signing for less than $7mil which is a bit risky IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I like Dion and think he gets a terrible rap. But if he's really wanting 7+ million then I'd be looking elsewhere. Would love to have him on the top pairing with Coburn, but I don't think it'll happen.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Clown Baby

The only way I don't hate this idea is come next season Streit and Meszaros aren't on this roster.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:45 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Hmmmm "suck it Phaneuf"
he'd cost way too much, but that being said the Flyers will most likely throw stupid amounts of money and years at him

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:54 PM
jeff leonard

I hear yandle's name mentioned a LOT with this team, and Phaneuf is a much better player than Yandle so...yes. He's a great player and gets a ton of flak for the jersey he wears.

jeff leonard is offline   Reply With Quote