HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2014, 12:18 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
McCarron wasn't a top five pick, but he's apparently being treated as such by some who expected an all-star berth, rookie of the year and Red Tilson winner form him in his OHL debut because he had the "good fortune" of being a first round pick of the Habs.

Dude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
It's note worthy that out of all forwards drafted in 2013 that play In the CHL this year Mike McCarron is only out scoring two players in all 7 rounds.That player is 6'7 Justin Auger and matej paulovic I just thought it was a intresting factoid.
We are aren't being unfair with our expectations here, he's simply been terrible.

Old
01-05-2014, 12:19 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
As someone else said, not in junior.

And secondly, he's not "buried under depth". In fact London was counting on him to be in their top 6, and only McCarrons failures has prevented him from filling that role. So much so there's serious talk on the Knights board that they may be forced into making a move to add a top 6 winger to fill the role McCarron has been unable to fill. He's not being blocked by anyone. he's simply unable to fill the role that was expected of him.
Just so it doesn't get missed on the previous page.

Old
01-05-2014, 12:41 AM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

I was thinking mike mccarron would have production much like Austin Watson's. Decent production with all the other elements to his game (Good board play,finish hits hard,block shots, etc) while getting around a point per game. That prediction was in no way unreasonable for a first round pick or for even a second round pick and he has failed to contribute like a first rounder or even a second rounder. We will see if he can turn it around because we do need a big body who is hard to play against in our lineup.

Old
01-05-2014, 06:35 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
How does Tyler Hill compare to McCarron? Just wondering due to their similarities in height.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Bacchus1

God, shut up with your McCarron *****ing! Report on something tangible. Would love to hear what your colleagues thought of you in your first few weeks on the job!

Old
01-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
God, shut up with your McCarron *****ing! Report on something tangible. Would love to hear what your colleagues thought of you in your first few weeks on the job!
Yeah seriously! Can we all start bashing Fucale now?

Old
01-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Top Corner2

Great game by Lekonene btw. Nice to see him kill penalties and be such a big part of a great Finnish team.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Yeah seriously! Can we all start bashing Fucale now?
Fucale was hung out to dry in that last game. He showed some real sweet moves, particularly that glove save, but got at least one bad bounce, and a bunch of lack-o-support from his team. Were they trying to break a penalty taking record, losing their top 2 centres, with major penalties!

I think Fucale is alright. ;-)

Now lets ***** about Chucky not scoring 80 points in the NHL already. It is his second year, for christ's sake! Now that is some fertile ground to sow with negativity!

Old
01-05-2014, 10:41 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
I'm just responding to the McCarron excuse makers, people stop making excuses for him, I'll stop bring up facts to destroy those excuses.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:13 AM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I'm just responding to the McCarron excuse makers, people stop making excuses for him, I'll stop bring up facts to destroy those excuses.
There's no one who reads this thread that doesn't know McCarron is off to a bad start, so you're beating a dead horse there.

The point is there is time for him to improve. Three months does not a career make.

The other point people are trying to make is that he was picked at 25th overall. At that point in the draft, the odds are more in favour of a pick busting than anything else. If McCarron showed great offensive skill during his draft year, at his size, then he would've gone top 5 and not 25. He was always a project. He needs to learn to play a big man's game. We can only hope his production improves over the 2nd half of the season and next year.

Being negative all the time is just annoying. If Mac busts. He busts. I don't think he's the only one from the 1st round who faces that potential.

The expectations on our 1st round draft picks, especially for the forwards, around here is just ridiculous. In reality most players picked in the 1st round are lucky to wind up as good NHL players.

If DLR and Lehkonen become quality players for the Habs then frankly TT has done his job. Any pick after that you should expect to play in the AHL or bust completely. You want the 1st pick to be a homerun (like Price, McD and Patches), but sometimes it's a strike-out (Fischer).

On the Lehkonen note, I've been really impressed with his defensive game at the WJHC. He has tremendous hockey sense. I really really love him as a prospect. He and DLR are really impressive. Looking forward to today's Sweden-Finland game.

Old
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
DLR and Lehkonen kind gave each other a hug at the hand shake line.

Old
01-05-2014, 03:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASPHEMOUS View Post
How does Tyler Hill compare to McCarron? Just wondering due to their similarities in height.
Hill lacks IQ imo. Heard from good sources that he's a great kid with great attitude but you also need hockey sense. Good long shot 5-year project though.

Old
01-05-2014, 03:55 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Hill lacks IQ imo. Heard from good sources that he's a great kid with great attitude but you also need hockey sense. Good long shot 5-year project though.
Heard the complete opposite, actually. Not that I had any solid inside source or anything.

Old
01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They have a great chance to be playing together soon enough.

Lehkonen greatly impressed me. There's a first line player in him. Despite being a left winger, I watched him on defence and wondered if that's the guy who is going to replace Plekanec. He looked like we could play him on the PK tomorrow and he'd not be embarrassed. That's a complete player there with offensive flair and defensive intelligence. What a pick.

We should just trade our first round pick every year for two second round picks.

Old
01-05-2014, 04:11 PM
bebl

I think Lehkonen played with injured ankle.

Old
01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Peteux

I didn't see Reway play. Was he impressive? He has some great stats during the tournament, but how's his overall play?

Old
01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Heard the complete opposite, actually. Not that I had any solid inside source or anything.
That was before he went to Ottawa. Maybe something happened after but what I said is from people in the USHS circles who were praising him for that.

Old
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
So just for the fun of it....this year is the year where the following players needs to receive a contract or if they don't, they are let go:

Mac Bennett
Mike Cichy
Erik Nystrom
Dalton Thrower
Brady Vail

Now....who are we keeping and who do we let go. For me, I think that's an easy year. Cichy and Nystrom are gone. You keep the rest. Thrower is doing clearly enough so that we have to see how he'll develop. Next year might not be that easy.....a decision will need to be make for MacMillan (what a dissapointing year so far...) and Didier....but this year, it's an easy year.

What else do you think could happen? Any surprising non-signature? I really don't see that happening.

Old
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So just for the fun of it....this year is the year where the following players needs to receive a contract or if they don't, they are let go:

Mac Bennett
Mike Cichy
Erik Nystrom
Dalton Thrower
Brady Vail

Now....who are we keeping and who do we let go. For me, I think that's an easy year. Cichy and Nystrom are gone. You keep the rest. Thrower is doing clearly enough so that we have to see how he'll develop. Next year might not be that easy.....a decision will need to be make for MacMillan (what a dissapointing year so far...) and Didier....but this year, it's an easy year.

What else do you think could happen? Any surprising non-signature? I really don't see that happening.
I also think this is the likely scenario. Maybe Didier will want to turn pro this year?

Old
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He looked like a very popular teammate. Risto was joking with him right before putting on the Pippy Longstocking wig. TT won't be back, nor will Risto. Arty will be wearing the C next year in MTL.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Mac Bennett
Mike Cichy
Erik Nystrom
Dalton Thrower
Brady Vail

It blows my mind how a how we signed a guy with practically no NHL future in Nevins over a guy like Nystrom who showed some nice hands and good hockey sense. The thought of us not signing Thrower or Vail because of a signing like that pisses me off.

Old
01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
It blows my mind how a how we signed a guy with practically no NHL future in Nevins over a guy like Nystrom who showed some nice hands and good hockey sense. The thought of us not signing Thrower or Vail because of a signing like that pisses me off.
Do I have to bring up your projected lineup from five years ago? I know..you're a grizzled 19-year-old now. :-)

I don't think it's mind blowing why the club chose Nevins over Nystrom. If it's any consolation both Timmins and myself have been impressed with Nevins this season. The kid's skating and offensive skills have really come along, and he's legitimately tough. At the very least he is going to be a very valuable AHLer.

Nevins is a big two-way center who can scrap..the club doesn't have many of those under contract.

Nystrom is an undersized winger prospect with skills. Do the Habs have any of those? Well...Leblanc, Thomas, Andrighetto, Reway, Lehkonen, Collberg, Hudon..the answer is a resounding yes. I don't think anyone would rank him ahead of any of those prospects.

Old
01-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Do I have to bring up your projected lineup from five years ago? I know..you're a grizzled 19-year-old now. :-)

I don't think it's mind blowing why the club chose Nevins over Nystrom. If it's any consolation both Timmins and myself have been impressed with Nevins this season. The kid's skating and offensive skills have really come along, and he's legitimately tough. At the very least he is going to be a very valuable AHLer.

Nevins is a big two-way center who can scrap..the club doesn't have many of those under contract.

Nystrom is an undersized winger prospect with skills. Do the Habs have any of those? Well...Leblanc, Thomas, Andrighetto, Reway, Lehkonen, Collberg, Hudon..the answer is a resounding yes. I don't think anyone would rank him ahead of any of those prospects.
While the cheap shot about how naive I was 5 years ago stings a little, it's nice to know I'm not on your ignore list

While I obviously will take your word (and Timmins + the rest of the management) on Nevins and what he could brings to this organization. The problem I have with this signing is that these signings rarely ever work out. Sure he might be a late bloomer à la Andrew Shaw but these signings, aside from our beloved Desharnais, have rarely worked out in the past. From the Dany Massés, the Brock Trotters, the Hunter Bishops, the Philippe Lefebvre's, etc. while I do understand that these names didn't bring the same organizational need that Nevins might currently bring, they were still guys that we ended up using (or on some cases wasting) a contract spot on. I do recall a certain Alain Berger who was supposed to bring some toughness to our farm team and maybe turn into a Holmstrom, but he was clearly too slow for the pros. Maybe Nystrom isn't a big loss considering we have a lot of prospects with similar skill sets and builds, but I was impressed by his play for a 19 year old at the training camp. His production in the AHL wasn't spectacular but it was still a nice surprise.

My problem is that if signing Nevins means that we picked him over Brady Vail or Dalton Thrower (who both bring different packages, one the toughness that Nevins brings and the other the two way game that Nevins brings to your eyes), I'll be disappointed. Not to the point of making a thread about it or bashing every two posts on this thread (he's not McCarron after all ). Now with your connections with Timmins you might know things that us wannabes don't know and I might be overthinking/overreacting and these two are pretty much guaranteed a contract at the end of their season. Anyway, who do you prefer as a prospect: Fournier or Nevins?

Old
01-05-2014, 11:38 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I also think this is the likely scenario. Maybe Didier will want to turn pro this year?
That was the word after Brisebois went to see him in October or November.

Old
01-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Mathletic

heads up for friday night hockey on sportsnet, London at Guelph

Closed Thread