HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Penguins re-sign Jeff Zatkoff - 2 yrs, $600K per

Old
12-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Penguins re-sign Jeff Zatkoff - 2 yrs, $600K per

Penguins re-sign G Jeff Zatkoff to a 2 year deal worth $1.2 mil (cap: $600K)

He's played well in spot duty for the Penguins. Athletic, great communicator...good for him, paying his dues and making his way up.

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:48 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
Forgot About Sid

Grats to Jeff. Really looking more and more comfortable and the season goes on.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Implies that Vokoun is retiring then.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:50 AM
domaug*

with how he has played this season as the interim backup, if you will, i love this deal. in case Vokoun doesn't return, Zatkoff provides a bit of insurance in goal.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:51 AM
wej20

Has been very solid, interested to see if they bring a vet in through free agency to compete with him for the backup job in 14-15.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:51 AM
penguins2946*

I guess that means we have our backup goalie for the next 2 years. I like it, it gives us more money to spend on top-6 forwards.

Pens roster for next year right now is:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
XXXX-Malkin-Neal
XXXX-XXXX-Dupuis
XXXX-XXXX-Adams

Letang-Scuderi
Maatta-Martin
XXXX-XXXX

Fleury-Zatkoff

Pens NHL RFAs are Sutter (3C), Despres (3rd pair D), Bortuzzo (3rd pair D), Sill (4W) and Megna (3W). That basically leaves Malkin's LW (Kulemin) and a 4th line center (Vitale) to sign for ~$8 million.

Last edited by penguins2946*: 12-21-2013 at 10:59 AM.
penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:02 AM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
I guess that means we have our backup goalie for the next 2 years. I like it, it gives us more money to spend on top-6 forwards.

Pens roster for next year right now is:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
XXXX-Malkin-Neal
XXXX-XXXX-Dupuis
XXXX-XXXX-Adams

Letang-Scuderi
Maatta-Martin
XXXX-XXXX

Fleury-Zatkoff

Pens NHL RFAs are Sutter (3C), Despres (3rd pair D), Bortuzzo (3rd pair D), Sill (4W) and Megna (3W). That basically leaves Malkin's LW (Kulemin) and a 4th line center (Vitale) to sign for ~$8 million.
We'll take Niskanen for our bottom line if you want Kulemin. Though you'd also have to swap Holzer for Ruopp to balance it, not that you'd really care since he's usually an ECHL player anyways, whereas Holzer can play NHL minutes if needed to (but not on Pittsburgh or Toronto unless another major injury thing happens).

SeaOfBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:04 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMapleLeafsFTW View Post
We'll take Niskanen for our bottom line if you want Kulemin. Though you'd also have to swap Holzer for Ruopp to balance it, not that you'd really care since he's usually an ECHL player anyways, whereas Holzer can play NHL minutes if needed to (but not on Pittsburgh or Toronto unless another major injury thing happens).
1) we wouldn't be adding to Niskanen
2) a lot of people have a very high opinion of Ruopp and believe he has a future in the NHL

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

Quote:
I'd rather keep Ruopp.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:18 AM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I'd rather keep Ruopp.
It's to balance out the trade.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:20 AM
wej20

Quote:
It's to balance out the trade.
How is Kulemin worth more than Niskanen?

Old
12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
1) we wouldn't be adding to Niskanen
2) a lot of people have a very high opinion of Ruopp and believe he has a future in the NHL
People have said the same about Holzer. He's only 5 years older, and about to hit his prime. He should be in the NHL right now, he's just stuck behind a deep system. Right now, Ruopp is stuck in the ECHL (maybe he has been called up due to replace guys who have been called up due to injury, but after will be sent down again). Holzer has never been to the ECHL, even last year when the good players were in the AHL too. Essentially, this is just to balance out the trade.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Nice to see a guy rewarded after paying his dues in the minors for so long. He seems like a great team guy in the interviews and behind the scenes stuff they show on TV too. Congrats to him.

Looks like the Vokoun era in Pittsburgh has all but ended. Hopefully he recovers from that blood clot issue.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:23 AM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
How is Kulemin worth more than Niskanen?
Defensive wingers are worth more than RHD two-way players. Not by much, which is why it's only Holzer for Ruopp (the only difference between them is the age factor. Right now, Holzer is technically better than Ruopp, but he's also 5 years older).

Old
12-21-2013, 11:25 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Defensive wingers are worth more than RHD two-way players. Not by much, which is why it's only Holzer for Ruopp (the only difference between them is the age factor. Right now, Holzer is technically better than Ruopp, but he's also 5 years older).
I don't think you'll find many people (Penguins fans or otherwise) who agree with this, so seeing as how this is the Zatkoff thread, we'll pass.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:26 AM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I don't think you'll find many people (Penguins fans or otherwise) who agree with this, so seeing as how this is the Zatkoff thread, we'll pass.
Aha, I guess this isn't the best place to be talking about it Just off of a poster's comment

Old
12-21-2013, 11:27 AM
wej20

Quote:
Why? Niskanen is out scoring Kulemin, 3rd line winger for #4/5 dmen seems fair. Pens have no need for a guy like Holzer.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

I'm a much bigger fan of Kulemin than I am Niskanen, but I can't imagine a scenario right now where, all things considered, Kulemin is worth more. I think Kulemin is a good player, better than his production has shown, I think he's capable of even more and I think Niskanen is playing over his head...but I just don't think that Kulemin could fetch more in a vacuum...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Dr Quincy

Pretty cheap money, and not a bad signing at all, but I think Hartzell beats him out next year.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:47 AM
orby

Nice, prudent signing IMO. Au revoir to Tomas.

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Niskanen > Kulemin

Now to what this thread is actually about...feh.

Prudent signing indeed, but I'm not a fan of the Sabourin model of just getting the cheapest back-up possible, especially with the cap going up. He's done well nicely, but that has more to do with the defense in front of him just shutting things down. He's made the saves he's had to, but it's not like he's getting challenged a ton when he's in there. I just want a better back-up when we have a starter who is prone to post-season collapses. Vokoun saved our ass last year, I have zero faith in Zatkoff doing that...especially when his playoff numbers are way worse than Fleury's at every level he's ever played at.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:46 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Right now, Niskanen holds more value than Kulemin. Niskanen is proving to be a top 2 capable minute eater. Kulemin is 3rd liner. Come on now...

This is a great signing. I don't think this is indicative of Vokoun in any way. Zatkoff is a UFA and he's playing very well...why wouldn't the Pens sign him now he's still semi cost controlled?

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:52 PM
zidell*

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
with how he has played this season as the interim backup, if you will, i love this deal. in case Vokoun doesn't return, Zatkoff provides a bit of insurance in goal.
A bit of insurance? With Fleury in the playoffs the Pens future success should rest on "a bit insurance", a career minor leaguer with 8 games NHL experience and his own spotty playoff record?

This is surely one of the most idiotic signings in the history of signings. I challenge anyone to come up with a single good reason for doing this. Just one.

zidell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:59 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidell View Post
A bit of insurance? With Fleury in the playoffs the Pens future success should rest on "a bit insurance", a career minor leaguer with 8 games NHL experience and his own spotty playoff record?

This is surely one of the most idiotic signings in the history of signings. I challenge anyone to come up with a single good reason for doing this. Just one.
It's 600k which can easily be buried if he doesn't work out. If when you say history you mean the last week then you could possibly argue a case (only because it's the only signing of the week).

Old
12-21-2013, 01:16 PM
KingCanadain1976

Nice to see a formar King getting a shot at nhl play. He wasnt going to get it in la so im glad its in the east

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote