HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 35: Blues @ Oilers | 9PM CT FS-MW

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

vCash: 500
Lou Korac re-tweeted a Jaskin twitter post that he was "off to Calgary." Good for him. Worried about Steen. Took a beating this week.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:01 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Perron shouldn't have to put up with that garbage. I wish we would've sent him to a semi-competitive team in the East. A team we wouldn't have to worry about meeting in the finals any time soon, but at least wins some games like Carolina or something. He still has at least 2 more years there unless they trade him(which would be incredibly short-sighted, although that's not out of character for Edmonton's front office).
When you consider the overall value of players on their team compared to the contract cost he does look kind of expendable.

No one's blowing $5M of cap space on Hemsky, the other guys who are actually good enough to fix their line up, via trade, are already getting paid $6M long term even though they only play hockey on one end of the ice.

The outlier being Yakupov on his ELC who seems like a bigger risk than a $6M Eberle choking on defensive assignments.

Their depth players are literally the leftovers of free agency and contract dumps. They have no value to build on.

Futures is the only bright spot the organization can focus on so unless someone has the balls to cash in a top 3 pick on a top 25 player they're stuck.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:19 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
I just wish the ice was that nice for every game...

Edmonton has some talent but if they don't get any results from their quick starts and get behind they just don't have the right mentality to come back most nights. This is a team that needs to have a coach that teaches the 200 ft game. With the right decisions Edmonton could be a much better team, I would toughen them up, improve the defense, replace the coach and GM, the new GM's first move should be to shoot a hostage. This might surprise some people but I don't think it should be "what's his name."

Old
12-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenalizer View Post
Lol, well which was it, a errant pass, or a great pass?

Just playin' my friend.
See what happens to one's short-term memory when one gets old? I couldn't even remember what I wrote just 5 seconds before! Never mind remembering back a whole 15 seconds before, to the actual event!

I eat a LOT of fish, and also take fish oil pills, but, clearly, it isn't helping enough. I guess I won't be able to get a job as a play-by-play man!

I DO remember that I am a Blues' fan (because that started 46 years ago-and my long-term memory is still intact-thank goodness!)

Old
12-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post

Edmonton has some talent but if they don't get any results from their quick starts and get behind they just don't have the right mentality to come back most nights. This is a team that needs to have a coach that teaches the 200 ft game. With the right decisions Edmonton could be a much better team, I would toughen them up, improve the defense, replace the coach and GM, the new GM's first move should be to shoot a hostage. This might surprise some people but I don't think it should be "what's his name."
Everything you say here is right on the mark. We saw how Hitch's system turned the poorly disciplined Blues into a winning team. The same could happen to The Oilers, if they would change their style to play the 200 ft. game. Perron is playing the best hockey among their forwards, as he is the only one trying to play defence.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Lou Korac re-tweeted a Jaskin twitter post that he was "off to Calgary." Good for him. Worried about Steen. Took a beating this week.
Great! I look forward to seeing him play a few games.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
See what happens to one's short-term memory when one gets old? I couldn't even remember what I wrote just 5 seconds before! Never mind remembering back a whole 15 seconds before, to the actual event!

I eat a LOT of fish, and also take fish oil pills, but, clearly, it isn't helping enough. I guess I won't be able to get a job as a play-by-play man!

I DO remember that I am a Blues' fan (because that started 46 years ago-and my long-term memory is still intact-thank goodness!)
No worries Robb, my memory is garbage and I am almost half your age. Knowing that should make you feel better, right?

Old
12-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:

Coaches have been trying to teach them hockey, but there is no "buy in". Can't teach people who won't listen and follow-through. The merry-go-round of coaches is not helping.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
No worries Robb, my memory is garbage and I am almost half your age. Knowing that should make you feel better, right?
I can't remember whether it does or not.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:
I can't remember whether it does or not.
lol.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Old
12-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Skew06

I would have given up a stewart hat trick to not have steen injured. Somehow no one knows his status. Must not be good if he's already ruled out for Monday's game and Jaskin has been called up. When will this **** end?

Old
12-22-2013, 01:21 PM
BlueDream

Wow, get Backes back and Steen and Polak go down. What a joke these injuries are becoming.

At least we have Calgary next and this week off before the Chicago game. Would be nice to get some players rested up and hopefully they are back soon.

Also liked to see the guys having fun out there last night, they seemed to be enjoying each other. Stewart, Roy, and Morrow usually have classic celebrations when they score, and Berglund's reaction to Pietrangelo on his goal looked pretty hilarious. Just a random observation by me but I like seeing them laughing and stuff. Sometimes this "all business" approach that guys like Backes try to bring gets boring to me. I understand it, but that's just my opinion.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Robb_K

We have only the Calgary game before the Christmas break. So, Steen might miss only the one game. What worries me is that it's an "upper body injury", which, in the absence of any of us having seen the contact which could have caused the inury, indicates that it may have resulted from a hit on the head. I hope that isn't the case.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Skew06

Quote:
We have only the Calgary game before the Christmas break. So, Steen might miss only the one game. What worries me is that it's an "upper body injury", which, in the absence of any of us having seen the contact which could have caused the inury, indicates that it may have resulted from a hit on the head. I hope that isn't the case.
It scares me that they arent saying anything about it either. Usually when it's a minor injury we hear something about it. They know what's wrong with him and aren't releasing it to the public.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:45 PM
STL BLUES

Quote:

Look what Panthers new head coach Peter Horachek has accomplished since GM Tallon fired Kevin Dineen after a disastrous 3-9-4 start. December is looking a whole lot better at 7-3.

Old
12-22-2013, 03:27 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
The worry about Steen is understandable, but the timing of this makes me believe it might not be that bad, they have Calgary next, then the break, and he just signed a big deal, it could be they're just being cautious.

Old
12-22-2013, 03:36 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
The worry about Steen is understandable, but the timing of this makes me believe it might not be that bad, they have Calgary next, then the break, and he just signed a big deal, it could be they're just being cautious.
It could be but Steen does have an injury history. Sucks that such a good player like him never plays a full season.

Old
12-22-2013, 07:51 PM
zachws6

vCash: 50
I just wanted to say that Elliot seriously put on a spectacular display of puck stopping skill last night.

Old
12-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Fred Murtz

How hawt is Stewie?

Old
12-22-2013, 09:56 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Wow, get Backes back and Steen and Polak go down. What a joke these injuries are becoming.

At least we have Calgary next and this week off before the Chicago game. Would be nice to get some players rested up and hopefully they are back soon.

Also liked to see the guys having fun out there last night, they seemed to be enjoying each other. Stewart, Roy, and Morrow usually have classic celebrations when they score, and Berglund's reaction to Pietrangelo on his goal looked pretty hilarious. Just a random observation by me but I like seeing them laughing and stuff. Sometimes this "all business" approach that guys like Backes try to bring gets boring to me. I understand it, but that's just my opinion.
This is one of the reasons I have mixed feelings about the Olympics. I think its good for the playoff chops to get into intense international competition...can build confidence and help develop that higher gear you need. But it can also increase wear and tear at a time when other players are resting and recuperating.

I'm really not sure what to root for. I don't want any of our team's guys to miss out on a chance of a lifetime to represent their country, but I also think that if, say, Backes were injured and missed out completely with a recovering ankle injury or something, it may be better for the Blues' overall chances.

Anyway, tough call.

Watching recent projections I'm not sure whether Oshie is a likely guy on the final USA roster. Who else are bubble guys? Sobotka?

Closed Thread