HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which goalie to take this year?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2003, 02:26 PM
  #1
Kritty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,355
vCash: 500
Which goalie to take this year?

I'm finalizing my roster for a hockey pool and I'm looking to get one more goalie. Right now I have Patrick Lalime starting so I'm not too worried. The league uses basically every goalie stat equally. These are the goalies that are still available for me to pick up:

Jocelyn Thibault - seems to have everything needed to be a top tier goalie, will that happen with an unknown Chicago team?

Roman Turek - Flames look to be a better team this year, will Turek play better?

Felix Potvin - which Potvin will show up in Boston?

Rick DiPietro - apparantly will be the #1 goalie, can he be the goalie the Isles thought they had when they drafted him?

Marc Denis - ever-improving goalie but will Columbus be good enough in front of him to help out his numbers?

Does anyone have a suggestion on who they would take? Any opinions would be appreciated, I'm looking for other opinions on this one.

Kritty is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 02:28 PM
  #2
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty

Marc Denis - ever-improving goalie but will Columbus be good enough in front of him to help out his numbers?

Does anyone have a suggestion on who they would take? Any opinions would be appreciated, I'm looking for other opinions on this one.
CBJ has doubled their talent, I expect them to make a stab at the playoffs. Denis has always been a solid goalie, my pick in the lot.

I would take Thibault, but Chicago is going to be horrid, he will suffer.

XX is online now  
Old
09-29-2003, 02:31 PM
  #3
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
I was able to grab Denis with a very late pick... not sure if he'll be the best guy on that list, but he might be the best value.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 02:55 PM
  #4
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
CBJ has doubled their talent, I expect them to make a stab at the playoffs. Denis has always been a solid goalie, my pick in the lot.

I would take Thibault, but Chicago is going to be horrid, he will suffer.
At some point, people will realize it's going to take alot more than Sydor and Marchant to make Columbus a good hockey team. Free Agent signings of solid players have done nothing to cure their defensive woes and surely you don't think Sydor will seriously help that. Ask any Columbus fan who he thinks will be better, Nashville or Columbus and you will be quite suprised by the answers of several. The system has failed them defensively for so long now, it's hard to think Sydor is going to make it better. Give them time to find a coach who can implement a good defensive system, then Columbus will be a playoff team.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:05 PM
  #5
Gorgeous George
Registered User
 
Gorgeous George's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Temple Bar
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
IMO, Jocelyn Thibault is your best bet to put up consistent numbers and will be a valuable back-up to Lalime. If it is a keeper league, then DiPietro would clearly be hands-down pick of this crop. However, for this season Thibault has my vote as the goalie who will pull down the best stats for your team.

Gorgeous George is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
  #6
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
aebisher

Jeffrey is online now  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:39 PM
  #7
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,418
vCash: 500
Well, Potvin has scared me so far this year, and i think boston will be turning to shields more often then they'd like. DiPietro wont make it this year, he'll see about 30 games, but i think he wont be considered #1 until next year. Im still not too hot on Turek, and i dont think the flames have made significant enough progress from last year to drastically change his numbers. The two left are thibault and denis (a matchup of the overworked :p ). I see columbus and chicago as being pretty even in the standings for this year, but i think Thibault is a slightly better choice. Cant really go wrong with denis either, though.

Teemu is online now  
Old
09-29-2003, 03:42 PM
  #8
Yayo
 
Yayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,938
vCash: 500
I would take Marc Denis...

Yayo is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 04:24 PM
  #9
Nasty Naz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Normally, I would say Thibault by a mile.

He is not a top-tier goalie in the NHL, but he was very close to being a top-tier goalie in fantasy pools. The reason is because he was one of these guys who would start 65-70 games each year as opposed to the conventional starting goalie who usually plays an average of 60, give or take a few depending on his coach's confidence in him. That means more wins and specifically for Thibault, shutout opportunities, since he usually snags 5-7 shutouts a year. However, I have read that Brian Sutter is planning on reducing his number of starts to 55 this year.

Nonetheless, I would still suggest Thibault slightly over Potvin because of wins, shutouts and save percentage. If your league allows trades, I would even think about trading Thibault after he gets off to his usual hot start and then comes down to earth.

Nasty Naz is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 05:23 PM
  #10
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Ask any Columbus fan who he thinks will be better, Nashville or Columbus and you will be quite suprised by the answers of several.
I'm any Columbus fan.

I think Columbus will be better than Nashville this year.

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2014 NHL DRAFT GUIDE now!
Don't forget to pick up FC's 2014 Newsletter series too!
Aaron Vickers is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 05:36 PM
  #11
JONIK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,584
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to JONIK Send a message via AIM to JONIK Send a message via MSN to JONIK
Jocelyn Thibault, I just have a feeling he will have an amazing year with Chicago.

JONIK is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 05:37 PM
  #12
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,760
vCash: 500
Depends on your other goalie. If it is someone who will get you wins, then go with Thibault...He will get you stats at the least.

You might want to take a chance on Robert Esche. It could pay off big time.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:01 PM
  #13
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONIK
Jocelyn Thibault, I just have a feeling he will have an amazing year with Chicago.
See, I have the complete opposite feeling. Chicago's defense is going to be horrible this year, and Thibault will suffer.

Denis would be my choice(In fact he was in three of my Yahoo leagues). I think Columbus' defense will improve greatly with the additions of Marchant and Sydor.

Legionnaire is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:23 PM
  #14
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Denis or Tbo

The rest suck or in Dipietro's case, he can easily lose his job.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 06:51 PM
  #15
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
I'm any Columbus fan.

I think Columbus will be better than Nashville this year.
I didn't say all, I said several. You won't hear any Nashville fans (on this board) say that they think Columbus will be better. But you will hear several Columbus fans say Nashville will be (or atleast some did, they may back down now that they are on the spot).

Plus, I don't see how Columbus will be better than Nashville. We still have more talent, the acquisition of two players won't make that much difference. The acquisitions of LaChance and Richardson did nothing and while, these are upgrades, they aren't going make enough difference. It's the system and lack of coach that brings Columbus down. Sydor and Marchant sure as hell won't shore up that porous D. They might upgrade the offense (does no one realize they lost Whitney here, Marchant won't be able to replace those numbers. Whitney has 5 seasons of superior numbers to Marchants career year) a touch but their D is something Sydor can't fix.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 07:36 PM
  #16
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I didn't say all, I said several. You won't hear any Nashville fans (on this board) say that they think Columbus will be better. But you will hear several Columbus fans say Nashville will be (or atleast some did, they may back down now that they are on the spot).

Plus, I don't see how Columbus will be better than Nashville. We still have more talent, the acquisition of two players won't make that much difference. The acquisitions of LaChance and Richardson did nothing and while, these are upgrades, they aren't going make enough difference. It's the system and lack of coach that brings Columbus down. Sydor and Marchant sure as hell won't shore up that porous D. They might upgrade the offense (does no one realize they lost Whitney here, Marchant won't be able to replace those numbers. Whitney has 5 seasons of superior numbers to Marchants career year) a touch but their D is something Sydor can't fix.
You talk like we're playing the same system as last year, despite Doug MacLean going on record as saying Columbus is switching to a more defensive minded system.

Aaron Vickers is offline  
Old
09-29-2003, 07:48 PM
  #17
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
I`d take Denis, he`s going to play about 200 games for colombus this season. Even if they don`t have a good season just by the amount of games he`ll probably play he should get some decent numbers. Not only that but he is a very good young goalie.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:34 AM
  #18
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 12,888
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
I`d take Denis, he`s going to play about 200 games for colombus this season. Even if they don`t have a good season just by the amount of games he`ll probably play he should get some decent numbers. Not only that but he is a very good young goalie.
No, he won't. Fred Brathwaite was signed specifically so Denis wouldn't play "200 games" again this season.

DJAnimosity is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:39 AM
  #19
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko
 
DJAnimosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Wales
Posts: 12,888
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Plus, I don't see how Columbus will be better than Nashville. We still have more talent, the acquisition of two players won't make that much difference. The acquisitions of LaChance and Richardson did nothing and while, these are upgrades, they aren't going make enough difference. It's the system and lack of coach that brings Columbus down. Sydor and Marchant sure as hell won't shore up that porous D. They might upgrade the offense (does no one realize they lost Whitney here, Marchant won't be able to replace those numbers. Whitney has 5 seasons of superior numbers to Marchants career year) a touch but their D is something Sydor can't fix.

"More talent"--debatable.

"Acquisition of 2 players"--4 players were acquired (Brathwaite, Sydor, Marchant, and Letowski), not to mention dead weight like Allison (garbage that Nashville picked up), Van Impe, Sillinger, and Davidson was shed.

"Richardson and Lachance did nothing"--I beg to differ--we found veteran leadership and a new captain in Richardson.

"Sydor and Marchant won't shore up porous D"--You know this.....how?

"Marchant won't replace Whitney's numbers"--he's not being asked to.

DJAnimosity is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 04:41 AM
  #20
JasonMacIsaac
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I would take DiPietro becasue Isles are playing one hell of a trap. If he gets 40 games in he should have a really really low GAA. Isles could impress this year, their fans should start saying this stuff too.

 
Old
09-30-2003, 09:51 AM
  #21
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
For the last 3 seasons a pattern has developed in Chicago. The 'Hawks, whether they are good on paper or not, seem to start pretty well and Thibault is usually on fire. The last 2 seasons he was the best goaltender in the league numbers-wise at the All-Star break. As the year wore on, he would get tired, drop weight and lose some of his leg strength and the numbers would go South.

My solution for you would be to grab Thibault watch him put up the nice early season numbers then try to deal him just before the All-Star break for a top tier guy who might be slumping. If you are allowed waiver pick-ups then there is no real risk here because you can go back and replace him if he doesn't perform to these expectations. Denis would be the best choice of the other guys.

As for the Chicago defense, Sutter seems to be able to get them to buy into the system and Chicago's problems (other than injuries) seem to be inside the oppositions blueline, not their own.

Malefic74 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 09:57 AM
  #22
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I'm finalizing my roster for a hockey pool and I'm looking to get one more goalie. Right now I have Patrick Lalime starting so I'm not too worried. The league uses basically every goalie stat equally. These are the goalies that are still available for me to pick up:

Jocelyn Thibault - seems to have everything needed to be a top tier goalie, will that happen with an unknown Chicago team?

Roman Turek - Flames look to be a better team this year, will Turek play better?

Felix Potvin - which Potvin will show up in Boston?

Rick DiPietro - apparantly will be the #1 goalie, can he be the goalie the Isles thought they had when they drafted him?

Marc Denis - ever-improving goalie but will Columbus be good enough in front of him to help out his numbers?

Does anyone have a suggestion on who they would take? Any opinions would be appreciated, I'm looking for other opinions on this one.
T-Bo

Mowzie is online now  
Old
09-30-2003, 10:25 AM
  #23
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Esche. He put up good stats last year in Philly and you know Hackett will be hurt before the All-Star break. He was my 23rd round pick (out of 24).

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 11:22 AM
  #24
hardcorejacket29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gahanna, OH
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hardcorejacket29
smokey, you act like columbus fans are easy to throw in the rug and bow down to nashville. We are just being humble so that when we beat you, we can act surprised , but really I think out D will be much improved, I saw marchant play in a preseason game last week and it was surprising that unlike sillinger or whitney, he actually back checks. By the way Letowski (picked up during the summer) had 2 goals, and sydor provided a calming effect that our defense sorely needed. I respect the preds, as most jackets fans do, they just aren't my favorite team..

hardcorejacket29 is offline  
Old
09-30-2003, 11:26 AM
  #25
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Columbus
Country: Colombia
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I'm finalizing my roster for a hockey pool and I'm looking to get one more goalie. Right now I have Patrick Lalime starting so I'm not too worried. The league uses basically every goalie stat equally. These are the goalies that are still available for me to pick up:

Jocelyn Thibault - seems to have everything needed to be a top tier goalie, will that happen with an unknown Chicago team?

Roman Turek - Flames look to be a better team this year, will Turek play better?

Felix Potvin - which Potvin will show up in Boston?

Rick DiPietro - apparantly will be the #1 goalie, can he be the goalie the Isles thought they had when they drafted him?

Marc Denis - ever-improving goalie but will Columbus be good enough in front of him to help out his numbers?

Does anyone have a suggestion on who they would take? Any opinions would be appreciated, I'm looking for other opinions on this one.
I would take Thibault. Hes done Yeomans Work down up in Chicago. Good for 30 Wins, a 2.3 GAA and a 91.5 SP

Samkow is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.