HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does ONeill replace Nolan or Mogilny ?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
  #1
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,139
vCash: 500
Does ONeill replace Nolan or Mogilny ?

i for one think he replaces mogilny, on the top line

nolan's role can be replaced by someone lesser of a scorer, like anson carter or even one of ponikarovsky or antropov

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:30 AM
  #2
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
i think mogs comes back and Oneil allows him to play on the 1st line because we now have depth
and Oneil has chemistry with Robs and Neu so hopefully that would be our 2nd line
i was think along the lines of
Sundin - Allison - Mogs
Robs - Neu - Oneil

pspot is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:32 AM
  #3
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,289
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
His style of play more closely resembles Nolan's so I guess him.

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:37 AM
  #4
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,139
vCash: 500
OTTAWA—Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson met yesterday with Pat Morris, the agent for Tie Domi and said while he would like to get Domi, Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts under contract before they become unrestricted free agents Monday, there is still much to be done.

"The talks are ongoing and that's where we sit," Ferguson said. "We 'll continue to talk."

Ferguson must also make qualifying offers to his restricted free agents by Monday if he wants to keep their rights, a group that includes Nik Antropov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Aki Berg, Nathan Perrott, Wade Belak and Chad Kilger.

Ferguson said he might not make qualifying offers to all, which would make some of them unrestricted free agents. What might happen is they won't get a qualifying offer and the Leafs will try to sign some of them for less.


no indication there of bringing back mogilny

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:39 AM
  #5
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
His style of play more closely resembles Nolan's so I guess him.
I'd say so too. There both gritty power-forwards, and with Nolan being out, Jeff fills his spot and then some.

Raging Bull is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:39 AM
  #6
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot
i think mogs comes back and Oneil allows him to play on the 1st line because we now have depth
and Oneil has chemistry with Robs and Neu so hopefully that would be our 2nd line
i was think along the lines of
Sundin - Allison - Mogs
Robs - Neu - Oneil
biggest problem with your scenario is we don't have anyone named Allison.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:50 AM
  #7
Slapshot17
Registered User
 
Slapshot17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prince George
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,043
vCash: 500
I think he fills the void Nolan will leave. Now the question is Do we Qualify Antropov at 1.3, Belak at 1 million, and Berg at 1.4. I reckon there are plenty of other million dollar players that offer more than any of those 3 do. Although they could all be back at a lower price. It will be interesting to see what JFJ does tommorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allison signed on Monday.

Slapshot17 is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:56 AM
  #8
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
I think he fills the void Nolan will leave. Now the question is Do we Qualify Antropov at 1.3, Belak at 1 million, and Berg at 1.4. I reckon there are plenty of other million dollar players that offer more than any of those 3 do. Although they could all be back at a lower price. It will be interesting to see what JFJ does tommorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allison signed on Monday.
that would make pspot happy as they Allison centering our top line this year.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:00 AM
  #9
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,139
vCash: 500
oneill in nolan's role playing on a line with tucker and reichel ?
no longer reichel obviously (wishful thinking -lindros) ,
but why not oneill on the sundin line where could score 35-40 goals ?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:55 AM
  #10
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,289
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
oneill in nolan's role playing on a line with tucker and reichel ?
no longer reichel obviously (wishful thinking -lindros) ,
but why not oneill on the sundin line where could score 35-40 goals ?
Not that way, I ment O'Niell plays like Nolan so we have that scoring power forward.

I'd expect him to get Top line minutes with Mats.

I imagine someone else to play with Tucker.

maybee it's time to break up the Sky Line and put Stajan with the Twin Towers, or move Nik to Center and give him and Poni another winger like Tucker.

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:58 AM
  #11
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,154
vCash: 500
Looks like he's taking over Nolan's spot.

Epoch is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:03 AM
  #12
ATG
Registered User
 
ATG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country:
Posts: 9,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
I think he fills the void Nolan will leave. Now the question is Do we Qualify Antropov at 1.3, Belak at 1 million, and Berg at 1.4. I reckon there are plenty of other million dollar players that offer more than any of those 3 do. Although they could all be back at a lower price. It will be interesting to see what JFJ does tommorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allison signed on Monday.
The only one I consider qualifying is Antro as Belak at 1 million is a joke and so is Berg at 1.4.We could find better guys for less money

ATG is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:09 AM
  #13
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot
i think mogs comes back
Mogilny does not come back unless he is far healthier and/or far stupider than all indications have been. He doesn't need the money, he no longer needs the game, and he wants to lead a healthy life in which to enjoy his money.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:11 AM
  #14
Augustus
Registered User
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
I think he fills the void Nolan will leave. Now the question is Do we Qualify Antropov at 1.3, Belak at 1 million, and Berg at 1.4. I reckon there are plenty of other million dollar players that offer more than any of those 3 do. Although they could all be back at a lower price. It will be interesting to see what JFJ does tommorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see Allison signed on Monday.

Qualify clod Belak at one million? In the long history of leaf stupid moves that would certainly rank among the top 10. I personally wouldn't qualify him at $.10 but I doubt there is any team willing to pay someone of his "talent" one penny more than the minimum.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 02:22 PM
  #15
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Nolan's a better player than O'Neill.

Don't forget that Nolan was one of our best penalty killers last year while O'Neill will likely not be used in that kind of role. Also O'Neill is tough, but Nolan is tougher and better defensively.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
  #16
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Mogilny does not come back unless he is far healthier and/or far stupider than all indications have been. He doesn't need the money, he no longer needs the game, and he wants to lead a healthy life in which to enjoy his money.
Mogilny's agent was on Leaf lunch last week .. He reported the Mogs is working out hard skating already and would like to come back .. He has had talks with Fergy on his return and he describe them as progressive..

Not likely to be completed before UFA begins but they do hope to reach a deal in the near future if all goes well .. Mogilny qualifies as one of those injured players that can receive performance bonus clauses, that do not count against this years cap and that such a contract may be of interest to the Leafs with their current cap condition..

Mess is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 02:41 PM
  #17
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Mogilny's agent was on Leaf lunch last week .. He reported the Mogs is working out hard skating already and would like to come back .. He has had talks with Fergy on his return and he describe them as progressive..

Not likely to be completed before UFA begins but they do hope to reach a deal in the near future if all goes well .. Mogilny qualifies as one of those injured players that can receive performance bonus clauses, that do not count against this years cap and that such a contract may be of interest to the Leafs with their current cap condition..
Mogilny's injury problems actually worry me as much or more than anyone else's. And that probably includes Lindros. Mogilny not only has back problems, but hip problems too and that's not a good mix.

The injured performance clause does make him intriguing though if he won't count much against the cap. When healthy he's still a great scorer and has been an important part of any success we've had the past three seasons.

I'd just be very wary of putting too many of our eggs in the Alexander Mogilny basket. I'd be for re-signing him if JFJ can find a way to bring him back without much of a cap hit and as long as we're in a position where if Mogilny goes down, we're not stuck with depth problems.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 02:47 PM
  #18
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,627
vCash: 500
I just don't understand why we need to bring back a 36-year-old with a degenerative arthritic hip, when there are literally hundreds of players to choose from???

Volcanologist is online now  
Old
07-31-2005, 03:00 PM
  #19
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 60,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Mogilny's injury problems actually worry me as much or more than anyone else's. And that probably includes Lindros. Mogilny not only has back problems, but hip problems too and that's not a good mix.

The injured performance clause does make him intriguing though if he won't count much against the cap. When healthy he's still a great scorer and has been an important part of any success we've had the past three seasons.

I'd just be very wary of putting too many of our eggs in the Alexander Mogilny basket. I'd be for re-signing him if JFJ can find a way to bring him back without much of a cap hit and as long as we're in a position where if Mogilny goes down, we're not stuck with depth problems.

His agent was playing up the performance bonus contract when Watters asked him about health ..

Also to be factored in is that Mogilny received his full 5.5 mil salary last season as an injured player and how much that factors into his new asking price will be interesting to know .. Mogilny is not the type of guy that would milk the system like Nolan seems to be doing .. If you can get Mogs for the $750k - $1 mil base plus bonuses than even if hurt an AHL call up would make the same in fact near league minimum say you call up Steen or someone to fill in .. Also long term injury risk is lessoned by the fact should it occur you can bet he will not reach his bonuses as a result and thus little to no impact on the cap in fact ..

Personally if I had the choice I would risk that performance bonus contract on Jason Allison rather then Mogilny at this stage .. and that is not to take anything away from what Mogilny has done for the Leafs over the years..

Mess is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 04:15 PM
  #20
berney fkaj
Registered User
 
berney fkaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Around
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
It replaces Nolan for sure. By the sounds of things here it looks like theres a 50/50 chance he will be back.

berney fkaj is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 06:00 PM
  #21
It Kills Me
Registered User
 
It Kills Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
He's a Nolan - .. He'll replace Mogilny possibly ... Mogs would be cheap too.


Last edited by It Kills Me: 07-31-2005 at 06:13 PM.
It Kills Me is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 06:06 PM
  #22
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,310
vCash: 500
Definetly a replacement for Nolan, plays a simliar style but IMO is better.

Pinto is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 06:08 PM
  #23
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
This is what I don't get. So many Leaf fans were ready to put Nolan on the scrap heap, but now everyone has high hopes for O'Neill.

On the ice, Nolan's the better player. The only thing O'Neill has on Nolan is that he's a lot cheaper. And hopefully won't be injured come playoff time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about O'Neill. But he's not "Nolan plus". He's an adequate replacement for Nolan. And if people are expecting O'Neill to be much better than Nolan they're going to be dissapointed.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 06:21 PM
  #24
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,935
vCash: 500
Jeff O'Neill is basically going to be an upgrade on the Mikael Renberg position. When both Nolan and O'Neill are at the top of their games, Nolan is a much better player. With O'Neill's bargain basement salary, we should have the money to bring in a better replacement for Nolan, or at least another front line winger.

Stephen is online now  
Old
07-31-2005, 07:06 PM
  #25
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
This is what I don't get. So many Leaf fans were ready to put Nolan on the scrap heap, but now everyone has high hopes for O'Neill.

On the ice, Nolan's the better player. The only thing O'Neill has on Nolan is that he's a lot cheaper. And hopefully won't be injured come playoff time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about O'Neill. But he's not "Nolan plus". He's an adequate replacement for Nolan. And if people are expecting O'Neill to be much better than Nolan they're going to be dissapointed.
I agree when all is well Nolan is a better player. However, if O'Neill plays 1 playoff game than he is an upgrade over Nolan in my eyes. Nolan's 7 games in two playoff years are tough to swallow. Who knows, maybe if he had of stayed he would have been in all 28 wins this coming playoff, but than again maybe he wouldn't.

Patty Lee is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.