HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does ONeill replace Nolan or Mogilny ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Jeff O'Neill is basically going to be an upgrade on the Mikael Renberg position. When both Nolan and O'Neill are at the top of their games, Nolan is a much better player. With O'Neill's bargain basement salary, we should have the money to bring in a better replacement for Nolan, or at least another front line winger.
I think that this is how we have to get used to define players in the new Salary Cap NHL.

O'Neill ($1.5 mil) + ???? ($4.1 mil) = Nolan ($5.6 mil).

Its all about the money !!!!.

Buffalo just walked away from Miro Satan as a RFA who needed a $4 mil Qualifying offer .. His resume included .." A three-time 30-goal scorer, Satan had 224 goals and 232 assists for 456 points during his tenure in Buffalo, who was acquired by the Sabres from Edmonton late in the 1996-97 season".

So if the Leafs had picked him up ..

Really the equation would have been ..

O'Neill ($1.5 mil) + Satan ($4.0 mil) = Nolan ($5.6 mil).
or
O'Neill ($1.5 mil) + Lindros($ 2 mil) + Allison ($2.0 mil) = Nolan ($5.6 mil).
or
O'Neill ($1.5 mil) + Roberts ($1.5 mil) + Newy ($1.5 mil) + Domi ($1 mil) = Nolan ($5.6 mil).

So its really now down to for me .. Offensive output + Intangibles = $$$.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:30 PM
tomerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Mogilny is not the type of guy that would milk the system like Nolan seems to be doing .. If you can get Mogs for the $750k - $1 mil base plus bonuses than even if hurt an AHL call up would make the same in fact near league minimum say you call up Steen or someone to fill in ..
Mogilny has said he would take over a $3 million paycut and sign for around the $2 Million mark. This is old news from around June 10th so perhaps as soon as we get a good feel for the market, Mogilny may sign for even less than suggested.

Source

Old
08-01-2005, 08:36 AM
egger66

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i for one think he replaces mogilny, on the top line

nolan's role can be replaced by someone lesser of a scorer, like anson carter or even one of ponikarovsky or antropov
Mogilny, obviously. It is clear that the Leafs are bent on creating Team Cherry, a roster entirely consisting of old guys from Ontario and onoe of them sift, visor wearing Europeans or disintered, furniture-breaking Americans.

The funny thing is that I'm not really kidding. The Leafs are obviously obsessed with having a certain kind of team with a certain kind of player, despite the fact thias failed time and again. Studpidity is defined as never learning from the past.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:43 AM
EazyB97

which is why they qualified Antropov, Pony, Berg and have drafted Steen and Rask recently? In a cap world, you want home grown guys because they will generally take less. Add in wherever else you can. They won't say no to a guy because he's European, but if you can get a better value on the Ontario kid why say no?

On the topic, I say Nolan, the numbers are similar, and there styles also seem to be similar. I just hope he is used a bit more effectively, I never thought Nolan was in a proper role. I would've had him with Niewy alot more and I liked him with Tucker but he seemed to get juggled a little bit. Nolan was a great hockey player, but he never got it together here when we needed him. I don't think a Nolan comparison is bad at all, its just us Leaf fans seem to hate the guy now (and with good reason), but if he can play like Owen, I'll be happy, especially at roughly 1/4 of his salary.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Mogilny's agent was on Leaf lunch last week .. He reported the Mogs is working out hard skating already and would like to come back .. He has had talks with Fergy on his return and he describe them as progressive..

Not likely to be completed before UFA begins but they do hope to reach a deal in the near future if all goes well .. Mogilny qualifies as one of those injured players that can receive performance bonus clauses, that do not count against this years cap and that such a contract may be of interest to the Leafs with their current cap condition..
I take agent talk with a grain of salt. I still say he will retire from the game unless some fool team way overpays him to play 40 games and score 15 goals. I also think he is too intelligent to return at any price.

But, shockingly, I have been wrong before.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Pappy

Quote:
i for one think he replaces mogilny, on the top line

nolan's role can be replaced by someone lesser of a scorer, like anson carter or even one of ponikarovsky or antropov
He replaces both neither could play in the playoffs.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

he needs a playmaker to set up his one timers

Old
08-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Pappy

Quote:
he needs a playmaker to set up his one timers
Allison would be perfect I can dream can't I.

Closed Thread