HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Gaborik to miss 2 months

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
  #26
jackets4life
Movember
 
jackets4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Section 205
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Keep Gabby away from the bench press!
I lol'd. But seriously, it's a shame we're never going to find out what might have been with this guy.

jackets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:54 PM
  #27
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets4life View Post
I lol'd. But seriously, it's a shame we're never going to find out what might have been with this guy.
Season's not over yet. He'll be here for the final stretch (maybe)

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:19 PM
  #28
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Season's not over yet. He'll be here for the final stretch (maybe)
And god himself will walk on our earth saving all mankind from disaster... Hey Brass, are you 14 or just drunk....?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:21 PM
  #29
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,015
vCash: 500
Portzline, who started the whole "need to see more from Gaborik before attempting to resign him" has changed his tune, saying the CBJ will attempt to resign him.

I guess they "wanted to see more" but aren't willing to lose him for nothing?

Also, yes Gaborik has a significant injury history. That said, a broken collar bone is just bad luck. It's not like another injury to his bad knee or another concussion, it is purely a freak accident.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:21 PM
  #30
Seedtype
Registered User
 
Seedtype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio?!?!
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Meh.

I think Jarmo and company will evaluate the situation far more than any of us realize ... My belief is that Gaborik will be dealt either way. Jarmo has already stated publicly that he hasn't gotten enough from him to merit re-signing him; now he won't even be playing essentially until March. I think they take the highest bid at the deadline, honestly - regardless of our position in the standings.
I always thought that the plan with Gaborik was:

-If he's great, great, we'll sign him for a couple years next year or whatever.
-If he's okay, we'll deal him for a pick or a need.

It's too bad he's going to be so injured. Especially when you consider the team has been playing better lately, you would think he would also start playing better as well...

Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:49 AM
  #31
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
And god himself will walk on our earth saving all mankind from disaster... Hey Brass, are you 14 or just drunk....?
19 and nope. You forget what 2 months means? Looks like Late February to me.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:50 AM
  #32
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Portzline, who started the whole "need to see more from Gaborik before attempting to resign him" has changed his tune, saying the CBJ will attempt to resign him.

I guess they "wanted to see more" but aren't willing to lose him for nothing?

Also, yes Gaborik has a significant injury history. That said, a broken collar bone is just bad luck. It's not like another injury to his bad knee or another concussion, it is purely a freak accident.
If Gaborik takes a 1 year reduced contract (Maybe 5 million + performance bonus?) 'show me' deal', then I would absolutely re-sign him.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:50 AM
  #33
ca5150
Registered User
 
ca5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 2,846
vCash: 500
More concerned about Calvert, that's a much bigger loss, hope he's ok!

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:03 AM
  #34
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,143
vCash: 2000
I just dont think Gaborik is the right fit for this team. Doubt they could get much in a deadline deal. But I would let him go.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:07 AM
  #35
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I just dont think Gaborik is the right fit for this team. Doubt they could get much in a deadline deal. But I would let him go.
Agree IBUB... and stick to it.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 07:11 AM
  #36
cbjfaninmo
4 those about 2 rock
 
cbjfaninmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lake Ozark, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I just dont think Gaborik is the right fit for this team. Doubt they could get much in a deadline deal. But I would let him go.
I agree too. Just doesn't seem to fit. Get a 2nd+ and save the money for other moves.

cbjfaninmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 09:19 AM
  #37
CBJfan4evr
Registered User
 
CBJfan4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Albany
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Meh.

I think Jarmo and company will evaluate the situation far more than any of us realize ... My belief is that Gaborik will be dealt either way. Jarmo has already stated publicly that he hasn't gotten enough from him to merit re-signing him; now he won't even be playing essentially until March. I think they take the highest bid at the deadline, honestly - regardless of our position in the standings.
First big boy move for Jarmo; love or hate the guys we traded to NYR (Moore, Brassard, Dorsett) outcome shows we got "fleeced" on this trade. Jarmo's got to be looking for an exit strategy that saves face for him and the org. Best case for Jarmo is to kick the can down the road a bit and hope for an upswing on the production side. At 4 or 5 million if injuries continue to occur and production/effort are not there we will see alot of Umberger like discussions on this board. Another question... With such a young roster can we hold a roster spot for a guy like this at the price point he's likely to command? Hate to say this but I agree cut the losses and move on. There will be better fit's in the FA market and same dollars down the road. For all of you Prospal lover's out there you could have kept Vinny and likely got more production out of him than Gabby is going to give us this year... Just sayin...

CBJfan4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:47 AM
  #38
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
And god himself will walk on our earth saving all mankind from disaster...
Uh.....
Are you acquainted with the biblical story behind the season we are celebrating right now?

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:04 AM
  #39
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Uh.....
Are you acquainted with the biblical story behind the season we are celebrating right now?
I can look out in what remains of my front yard and see another Biblical story come to life.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:23 AM
  #40
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I can look out in what remains of my front yard and see another Biblical story come to life.
Some woman cut her boyfriend's hair causing him to lose all his strength on your front law?

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  #41
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
First big boy move for Jarmo; love or hate the guys we traded to NYR (Moore, Brassard, Dorsett) outcome shows we got "fleeced" on this trade. Jarmo's got to be looking for an exit strategy that saves face for him and the org. Best case for Jarmo is to kick the can down the road a bit and hope for an upswing on the production side. At 4 or 5 million if injuries continue to occur and production/effort are not there we will see alot of Umberger like discussions on this board. Another question... With such a young roster can we hold a roster spot for a guy like this at the price point he's likely to command? Hate to say this but I agree cut the losses and move on. There will be better fit's in the FA market and same dollars down the road. For all of you Prospal lover's out there you could have kept Vinny and likely got more production out of him than Gabby is going to give us this year... Just sayin...
we didn't get "fleeced" not in the slightest...Brassard himself said he lost his passion here and we were never going to get a player that would live up to near his draft position...and other than a couple of decent goals in NY, he isn't there either...Moore was redundant and wouldn't be in the top 6 of our defense...and Dorse is what he is...an ok player that will put a few goals in and take a bunch of dumb penalties...there is no loss there at all in my book

the cap space we'll have this offseason makes that trade worth it every time...even if we didn't get the 40g scorer we all hoped for...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  #42
wrcstyl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
First big boy move for Jarmo; love or hate the guys we traded to NYR (Moore, Brassard, Dorsett) outcome shows we got "fleeced" on this trade. Jarmo's got to be looking for an exit strategy that saves face for him and the org. Best case for Jarmo is to kick the can down the road a bit and hope for an upswing on the production side. At 4 or 5 million if injuries continue to occur and production/effort are not there we will see alot of Umberger like discussions on this board. Another question... With such a young roster can we hold a roster spot for a guy like this at the price point he's likely to command? Hate to say this but I agree cut the losses and move on. There will be better fit's in the FA market and same dollars down the road. For all of you Prospal lover's out there you could have kept Vinny and likely got more production out of him than Gabby is going to give us this year... Just sayin...
I really wouldn't say we got fleeced. Take a look back at our situation when this trade was made. We had a huge back log of 3-4 liners who were't contributing. I think Jarmo realized this, picked which guys he wanted to develop and get minutes, those who were not on the list were part of this deal. When the deal was made Brassard was coming of two injury seasons and Dorsett was injured. Moore was really the only guy I would have considered keeping and his play this year is right on par with what we got. A young dman with all sorts of skating ability but never going to be elite. He has 34gp 2g 4a and is a -10 (highest on the team). I can totally see why Jarmo made this risk of trade.

Resigning Gabo is a totally different story.

wrcstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  #43
jackets4life
Movember
 
jackets4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Section 205
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,634
vCash: 400
To be honest, I would have been completely fine giving up those players for a lesser player then Gaborik in return. No way we got fleeced. The Rangers might have come out slightly on top simply due to the health of those players this year vs. that of Gaborik, but that's the only reason.

jackets4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  #44
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,143
vCash: 2000
Regardless of the assessment of Brassard, Dorsett and Moore, it was an over-payment at the time the trade was made. Gaborik didn't fulfill the aspirations of being the goal scorer to lead the CBJ into the playoffs. And the 13-14 season is all but lost. It is what it is: a trade that did not work out in the CBJ's best interest. Can't do anything about it now. Gaborik just isnt a fit for this type of team anyhow. If he's not dealt, his days in CBus are numbered anyhow.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
  #45
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,345
vCash: 500
Have to see what assets Columbus gets from Gaborik before it is given a win or loss. If Gaborik comes back and makes significant contributions that gets us into the playoffs as well as win a series or two it's obviously a win, but if we come out of it with a second round pick for his rights, it was obviously a loss.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
  #46
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time
 
CBJWennberg10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 20,881
vCash: 500
Fleecing would have to mean the Rangers got back something of far better value. Gaborik when healthy is better than Moore, Brass, and Dorse. It's not like they have been lighting it up for them this year. It's a no winner deal right now but slight edge to them since they are actually playing.

Regardless, who cares who won or lost. Its over and done with. Hopefully Gabby can return this year and stay healthy.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 09:32 PM
  #47
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,745
vCash: 500
just remember, in those 4 shifts last night...Gaby had 1pt...that's like 7 points over the course of the game

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:16 PM
  #48
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 500
One thing that stands out: Before the two trades we made with the Rangers, they were nearly a Cup finalist, and we were in the cellar. After the deals, we nearly made the playoffs, while they have seen an obvious (and significant) drop.

I'd say we've gotten the better of the deals, as a whole. Isn't that all that matters?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:33 PM
  #49
InauguralCBJFan
Registered User
 
InauguralCBJFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
One thing that stands out: Before the two trades we made with the Rangers, they were nearly a Cup finalist, and we were in the cellar. After the deals, we nearly made the playoffs, while they have seen an obvious (and significant) drop.

I'd say we've gotten the better of the deals, as a whole. Isn't that all that matters?
I'd agree. Dubi and Arty are going to be in our lineup for a while and Erixon was killing it in Springy (still young).

I think the trade for Gabby made sense. Get an elite scorer to help make a playoff push and we only lost Brassard, Dorsett, and Moore. Brassard didn't like playing here and he never lived up to his potential, Dorsett takes dumb penalties. Moore is a great skater, but as noted, probably wouldn't be playing in our lineup.

I think you try to move Gaborik. We're building for the future. Yeah playoffs would be nice, but how far do we really think we would get? Anything can happen, but Pittsburgh and Boston are real good. That said, I'm not ready to pony up 7.5 for a guy who has been injured and is a ghost of his former self. Get what you can and move on.

InauguralCBJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:58 PM
  #50
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
One thing that stands out: Before the two trades we made with the Rangers, they were nearly a Cup finalist, and we were in the cellar. After the deals, we nearly made the playoffs, while they have seen an obvious (and significant) drop.

I'd say we've gotten the better of the deals, as a whole. Isn't that all that matters?
Wouldn't we then be able to deduce that any move that improves a team in the short term is a win, long-term costs be damned? I remember the Rangers trying to patch together a roster of aging veterans in the early 1990s...it got them one Cup, then they went into a tailspin as all the young talent they traded away developed elsewhere and they had nothing left to replace it.

Obviously that's a more extreme example, since it spanned a couple of years and probably 5-7 trades to do in the first place.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.