HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik to miss 2 months

Old
12-22-2013, 11:05 PM
leesmith
Still in.

vCash: 500
Perhaps if Gabby doesn't waive his NTC to come to Columbus, Horton doesn't come here as a free agent? Just a thought.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 12:11 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
just remember, in those 4 shifts last night...Gaby had 1pt...that's like 7 points over the course of the game
I know you're being sarcastic, but he didn't have much to do with that goal

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 06:42 AM
wrcstyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Perhaps if Gabby doesn't waive his NTC to come to Columbus, Horton doesn't come here as a free agent? Just a thought.
That...and where is Ryjo game if Brassard is still here. I dont think he would be as developed if Brassard was taking some of his minutes, especially the second part of last season. Same can be said for Prout with Moore leaving.

wrcstyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcstyl View Post
That...and where is Ryjo game if Brassard is still here. I dont think he would be as developed if Brassard was taking some of his minutes, especially the second part of last season. Same can be said for Prout with Moore leaving.
agreed...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
...and if Jeff Carter felt like playing hockey instead of doing his best impression of the Hindenburg, Rick Nash would still be around.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Roadman
Moving On

If a frog had wings he wouldn't go around bumping his ass on the ground all day.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
If a frog had wings he wouldn't go around bumping his ass on the ground all day.
Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Sucks for Gaborik, injured by a dirty hit while driving to the goal. Reminds me alot of the Dorsett injury last season.

I hope he proves the critics wrong and has a strong finish to the season and playoffs.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:12 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Mama says that alligators are ornery because they got all them teeth and no toothbrush.
Something something Medulla Oblongata.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 01:45 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Portzline, who started the whole "need to see more from Gaborik before attempting to resign him" has changed his tune, saying the CBJ will attempt to resign him.

I guess they "wanted to see more" but aren't willing to lose him for nothing?
What do Jarmo and JD gain by saying they want to trade Gaborik when he'll be out for at least 2 months?

Best case scenario, Gaborik returns and the CBJ are in a position to make the playoffs. While the team has played well without him, the team would be looking to add at the deadline, not be sellers. Saying they want to trade Gaborik at this point implies they assume they will be sellers at the deadline and will be well out of playoff contention. That doesn't help get more people into the seats and boost fan confidence in the team.

My guess is they will field offers for Gaborik and see what they can get. Teams won't be willing to give away a key member of their roster for an off-injured player, so it's going to be picks or a prospect. If they can pry away a nearly ready prospect (a Filip Forsberg type player), then maybe it works, but more likely the trade would be a 2nd round pick and a contingent part - like the 2nd round pick becomes a 1st if the team makes it past round 1 of the playoffs. A late 1st/2nd round pick isn't going to help the team in the next 2-4 years, and they need offense - which a Gaborik in his prime would provide.

If Gaborik is willing to take a paycut, then maybe he's resigned but the question is whether he wants to stay in Columbus. I wouldn't want him signed to a long term contract, and he may be looking for stability and to cash in on his final years in the NHL.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Regardless of the assessment of Brassard, Dorsett and Moore, it was an over-payment at the time the trade was made.
How is it possible to call something an overpayment and at the same time discount the value of what was being paid?

Quote:
Gaborik didn't fulfill the aspirations of being the goal scorer to lead the CBJ into the playoffs.
We'll never know, of course, but how do we know the CBJ are playing to get in on that last day of the regular season without the trade?

Quote:
It is what it is: a trade that did not work out in the CBJ's best interest.
Not seeing this.

Quote:
Gaborik just isnt a fit for this type of team anyhow.
People keep saying this, as if continuing to say it makes it so.

Old
12-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Wouldn't we then be able to deduce that any move that improves a team in the short term is a win, long-term costs be damned? I remember the Rangers trying to patch together a roster of aging veterans in the early 1990s...it got them one Cup, then they went into a tailspin as all the young talent they traded away developed elsewhere and they had nothing left to replace it.

Obviously that's a more extreme example, since it spanned a couple of years and probably 5-7 trades to do in the first place.
Long-term, do you think the Jackets are worse off after either deal? Or, that the Rangers are better off?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:26 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
People keep saying this, as if continuing to say it makes it so.
That's one way to look at it. The other way is to acknowledge Gaborik doesn't fit. We simply disagree in our assessment.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
That's one way to look at it. The other way is to acknowledge Gaborik doesn't fit. We simply disagree in our assessment.
You miss my point. Simply stating something doesn't make it so. But a preponderance of evidence wouldn't hurt.

People saying Gaborik "doesn't fit." -- I don't know what that means. And I don't know what evidence you are using to back up the assessment.

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:53 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@MGaborik10: Great win tonight boys in Carolina! Wish i was there to be part of it! #CBJ”

“@MGaborik10: Going under the knife in the am,wish me luck! Want to thank you all for the support! Merry Christmas to everyone! #illbeBACK”

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 10:00 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
You miss my point. Simply stating something doesn't make it so. But a preponderance of evidence wouldn't hurt.

People saying Gaborik "doesn't fit." -- I don't know what that means. And I don't know what evidence you are using to back up the assessment.
I didn't miss your point. It's just not really a counter that is worth discussion. You either agree, or you don't. It doesnt matter either way.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 12:18 AM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
“@MGaborik10: Great win tonight boys in Carolina! Wish i was there to be part of it! #CBJ”

“@MGaborik10: Going under the knife in the am,wish me luck! Want to thank you all for the support! Merry Christmas to everyone! #illbeBACK”
I don't do Twitter except for Dubi, Porty, Mitchell and Don Cherry. But I'm really glad to see that, good on Gaborik

Old
12-24-2013, 12:20 AM
ca5150

Quote:
I agree, 30 games is a pretty fair amount of time to ***** the situation. Doesn't seem to fit our style of play. But nobody else will agree with us so it's a losing battle. I hope we are both wrong and he comes back and is an all-star

Old
01-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 45s
#CBJ Marian Gaborik has returned to Columbus. Arm no longer in sling, coach Todd Richards said

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Quote:
#CBJ Marian Gaborik has returned to Columbus. Arm no longer in sling, coach Todd Richards said
Probably what another month, month and a half before he can even starting really even think about contact?

BoonesJenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Not a doctor but know enough about broken collarbones to know that this isn't an injury you can rush back from.

Hope he isn't rushing back just to play in the Olympics.

01-08-2014, 07:11 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not a doctor but know enough about broken collarbones to know that this isn't an injury you can rush back from.

Hope he isn't rushing back just to play in the Olympics.
Part of the CBA, you can't stop a player from going to the Olympics right?
1)What happens if Gaborik claims he's healthy but the Blue Jackets says not yet. He could still go and Jarmo won't beable to do anything about it?

2)As much as he really wants to play in the Olympics, would he rush himself knowing that he's a up coming UFA? Another injury could effect his next contract, both terms and length.

3)Healthy or not, I don't want him going as I'm afraid he'll get injured. In fact, it's not just him. I would have prefered less Blue Jackets making the Olympics. Not just injuries but would rather have rested players for the final push to the playoffs.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 07:35 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I agree, 30 games is a pretty fair amount of time to ***** the situation. Doesn't seem to fit our style of play. But nobody else will agree with us so it's a losing battle. I hope we are both wrong and he comes back and is an all-star
Oh I wouldn't say no one.

I keep hoping that not being like everyone else will someday magically work to his advantage. I like the player a lot, but yeah.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Part of the CBA, you can't stop a player from going to the Olympics right?
1)What happens if Gaborik claims he's healthy but the Blue Jackets says not yet. He could still go and Jarmo won't beable to do anything about it?
The only reason NHL players are participating is because the NHL and the NHLPA came to an agreement about it. I would suspect anyone who plays without being medically cleared would be subject to fines, suspension and potential voiding of their contract if warranted. Players would most likely have a clause in their contracts around such activities. The same types of penalties would be involved with getting injured in a dangerous, non-hockey activity such as sky-diving for example.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 08:28 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@MGaborik10: Btw,doctor appointment went well today. Next one in 2weeks. Doc Watson did a great job doing surgery! #cbj #sochi”

“@MGaborik10: What other shows r good? Suspense and drama like? Im on 3rd season of Breaking Bad and love it! Walter is the best! #breakingbad”

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote