HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Roberts Nieuwendyk Domi likely to return

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2005, 08:38 AM
  #1
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
Roberts Nieuwendyk Domi likely to return

OTTAWAŚMaple Leafs general manager John Ferguson met yesterday with Pat Morris, the agent for Tie Domi and said while he would like to get Domi, Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts under contract before they become unrestricted free agents Monday, there is still much to be done.

"The talks are ongoing and that's where we sit," Ferguson said. "We 'll continue to talk."

Ferguson must also make qualifying offers to his restricted free agents by Monday if he wants to keep their rights, a group that includes Nik Antropov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Aki Berg, Nathan Perrott, Wade Belak and Chad Kilger.

Ferguson said he might not make qualifying offers to all, which would make some of them unrestricted free agents. What might happen is they won't get a qualifying offer and the Leafs will try to sign some of them for less.

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:41 AM
  #2
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
and considering gary joe and tie said they'd take less to come back, it's mere formality one would think.


roberts sundin oneill
ponikarovsky nieuwendyk antropov
tucker stajan domi


the new look and 'younger' looking maple leafs

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:41 AM
  #3
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,408
vCash: 500
Hopefully all just one year deals. Not that I don't want to see all them back, because Roberts is the heart and soul of our team.

Raging Bull is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:42 AM
  #4
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
OTTAWAŚMaple Leafs general manager John Ferguson met yesterday with Pat Morris, the agent for Tie Domi and said while he would like to get Domi, Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts under contract before they become unrestricted free agents Monday, there is still much to be done.

"The talks are ongoing and that's where we sit," Ferguson said. "We 'll continue to talk."

Ferguson must also make qualifying offers to his restricted free agents by Monday if he wants to keep their rights, a group that includes Nik Antropov, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Aki Berg, Nathan Perrott, Wade Belak and Chad Kilger.

Ferguson said he might not make qualifying offers to all, which would make some of them unrestricted free agents. What might happen is they won't get a qualifying offer and the Leafs will try to sign some of them for less.
how does this quote give you the impression they are "likely to return" I guess you are under the assumption that those 3 will accept what ever they are offered? Your title is a little misleading if that is what you are basing it on.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:44 AM
  #5
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
considering gary joe and tie said they'd take less to come back, it's mere formality one would think.

and jf wants to get it done before monday without looking at who's 'out there'

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:47 AM
  #6
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
considering gary joe and tie said they'd take less to come back, it's mere formality one would think.

and jf wants to get it done before monday without looking at who's 'out there'
one would think you are being a little naive in thinking its merely a formality.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:47 AM
  #7
Original6
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
if joe and garry come back kiss the chances of the cup good bye. We couldn't win with them last season and now they are 2 years older... great! Go young in the new NHL damn it. Sign 2 big name UFAs and bring up our younger guys. I'm personally sick of biting my nails in playoff times when we don't know if Joe is going to play the next game or give his back a day to heal because of spasms.

Original6 is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:47 AM
  #8
Slapshot17
Registered User
 
Slapshot17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prince George
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,040
vCash: 500
If you could only have one of those 3 guys, it would have to be Roberts. He carried the Leafs on his back a few playoffs ago when Sundin was hurt, and he can set the tone of a game. Plus he's a good role model for younger players. Lets hope the Leafs have the sense to keep this guy in Toronto. Nieuwendyk would be nice to keep too, and domi could fill a 4th line role, but I wouldn't break the bank on him, because there are other people that can fill that role.

Slapshot17 is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:49 AM
  #9
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
or a little bold ?
well...

how much would you like to bet ?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:53 AM
  #10
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
or a little bold ?
well...

how much would you like to bet ?
not saying they won't be back but I don't believe it merely a formality. All three are proud athletes and will not sign for peanuts just because its Toronto. They may come back for less, but they still will want what they feel they are worth. If they and JFJ agree on what they are worth then I guess they'll be back. If they don't there is a chance they won't. Not what I would call merely a formality.

the answer to your bet question, its kind of hard to determine its merely a formality unless you can talk to all 4 people involved, so I don't see how we could bet.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:54 AM
  #11
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
there will be about 5 million left to spend with all these guys coming back.

sign 1 rw and 1 defenseman ?
or sign 1 big name defenseman ?


mogilny and rathje ?

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:56 AM
  #12
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
not saying they won't be back but I don't believe it merely a formality. All three are proud athletes and will not sign for peanuts just because its Toronto. They may come back for less, but they still will want what they feel they are worth. If they and JFJ agree on what they are worth then I guess they'll be back. If they don't there is a chance they won't. Not what I would call merely a formality.

the answer to your bet question, its kind of hard to determine its merely a formality unless you can talk to all 4 people involved, so I don't see how we could bet.
yes its not mere formality
i think it is , but technically its not.
i didnt put it in the topic, but my reaction

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 08:59 AM
  #13
Charge_Seven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
Toronto Star reported today that Rich Curran, Roberts agent, is seeking somewhere aroun d $2,000,000 for Gary. I'd imagine we can nab him for $1,500,000 though-the same rate as his dear friend Jeff O'Neill.

Charge_Seven is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:01 AM
  #14
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
nieuwendyk probably gets the same

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:12 AM
  #15
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
yes its not mere formality
i think it is , but technically its not.
i didnt put it in the topic, but my reaction
I so confused I don't know if we agree or not...

let's just hope you're right; I think.

I actually like Domi, but think he is very replacable so I'm not concerned if he signs or not. If Roberts and Newy have another year in them, than great.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:18 AM
  #16
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,741
vCash: 500
at first it sounds good
then you look at their age. late 30s and injury prone

and less likely the chance of getting allison or lindros if they bring back niewendyk at center -

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 09:23 AM
  #17
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
at first it sounds good
then you look at their age. late 30s and injury prone

and less likely the chance of getting allison or lindros if they bring back niewendyk at center -
personally I would much rather have Newy over Lindros anyway.

Patty Lee is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:30 AM
  #18
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,034
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I know the Skyline did well, but I would rather see Nieuwendyk paired with someone with alot more skill than the likes of Poni and Antropov...

FOR EXAMPLE: (I stress example)

Getting a Glen Murray and putting him on a line with Nieuwy would be great. You got the playmaking/scoring/finesse of Joe and the grit/power forward/scorer of Glen.

And from reports, the Leafs are interested in Murray. And visa-versa.

SO.. Purely on speculation, and somehow fitting under the cap..

Roberts-Sundin-O'Niell
Tucker-Nieuwendyk-Murray


Maybe you can plug Lindros/Allison in somewhere.

I personally think that one of these two guys is comming here. Not both, because they are both damaged goods. But either one of them could be plugged in the third line.

Would a Poni-Lindros-Antropov line be insulting to Lindros?

Stajan will be with Domi once again. LW on the 4th line is a toss up. I didn't mind Kilger. Cheap player and he gave a little in the playoffs as well.

Scoogs is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:33 AM
  #19
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
I would have no problem in qualifying all three of these players, especially Roberts, for the right price as they all have something valuable to offer this team. I would not offer more than a one-year contract to any of the three unless there is a team option for a second year.

__________________
Noah Cross: 'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and ****** all get respectable if they last long enough.
Timothy Fenwick Jr: Do you ever get the feeling that there's something going on that we don't know about?
Boogie: If you don't have good dreams, Bagel, you got nightmares.
Augustus is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:48 AM
  #20
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
I know the Skyline did well, but I would rather see Nieuwendyk paired with someone with alot more skill than the likes of Poni and Antropov...

FOR EXAMPLE: (I stress example)

Getting a Glen Murray and putting him on a line with Nieuwy would be great. You got the playmaking/scoring/finesse of Joe and the grit/power forward/scorer of Glen.
Have you ever watched Glen Murray play? Hes a pure scorer, grit and power forward are the last things i would describe him as.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:53 AM
  #21
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,034
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Have you ever watched Glen Murray play? Hes a pure scorer, grit and power forward are the last things i would describe him as.
Have you? A pure scorer would be a guy like Mogilny.

Murray is definately an in-your-face type of player.

Scoogs is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:55 AM
  #22
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,894
vCash: 274
Signing these three obviously isn't a formality anymore. If it was JFJ wouldn't say "there is a lot of work left to do".

I have a feeling he is trying to get Roberts and Nieuwendyk for around 1 million each...(considering Roberts is apparently asking for 2 million) I hope they sign those two for 1.5 as well.

Domi is not an effective enforcer anymore (unless you call someone breaking their hand on his head enforcing) I don't want him anymore at any price...it's been a nice career Domi, now either retire or move on.

crump is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 10:56 AM
  #23
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
at first it sounds good
then you look at their age. late 30s and injury prone

and less likely the chance of getting allison or lindros if they bring back niewendyk at center -

Your two alternatives have written the book on injury prone.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 11:00 AM
  #24
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roma in my soul.
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
Signing these three obviously isn't a formality anymore. If it was JFJ wouldn't say "there is a lot of work left to do".

I have a feeling he is trying to get Roberts and Nieuwendyk for around 1 million each...(considering Roberts is apparently asking for 2 million) I hope they sign those two for 1.5 as well.

Domi is not an effective enforcer anymore (unless you call someone breaking their hand on his head enforcing) I don't want him anymore at any price...it's been a nice career Domi, now either retire or move on.
Domi is not what he was, but he is still a decent fighter if necessary (and getting rid of Belak will make for a few more fights than last year) and he is a decent fourth line/ten minute player who can contribute 20 points/yr in that limited role. He brings consistent energy and effort on the boards and bleeds blue and white in the clubhouse and is great PR in the community. He has another year left in him. Sure, he was overpaid last few years but if he is re-signed that will no longer be true.

Augustus is offline  
Old
07-31-2005, 11:02 AM
  #25
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,034
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Does anyone else remember the Mikael Samuelsson rumors?

Scoogs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ę2014 All Rights Reserved.