HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roberts Nieuwendyk Domi likely to return

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
Have you? A pure scorer would be a guy like Mogilny.

Murray is definately an in-your-face type of player.
Sorry Scugs, but Murray is nowhere near anybody's face.

If he knocks somebody over, it's purely coincidence.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:09 AM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
So I'm the only one here that thinks he is a power forward?

Old
07-31-2005, 11:14 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Murray goes to tough spots to score goals so he is a power forward of sorts, not the heart and soul like Roberts but has more grit than O'Neill. Jeff has not always paid the price. I'm hoping a move to TO will bring out the best in him.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
So I'm the only one here that thinks he is a power forward?
Looks like he did fine with Thornton, and we know Thornton plays in your face.

Do the Leafs have any centerman who'll play that style and open up space for him?

Could he and Allison form the centerpiece of the second line?

Roberts-Sundin-O'Neil
Tucker-Allison-Murray

Old
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
and considering gary joe and tie said they'd take less to come back, it's mere formality one would think.

roberts sundin oneill
ponikarovsky nieuwendyk antropov
tucker stajan domi

the new look and 'younger' looking maple leafs
That lineup won't make the playoffs

Old
07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Leaf Army

Roberts has said many times that he still wants to play another 2-3 years. I'm sure that a big part of the negotiation is that Curran wants to get a multi-year deal for Roberts and Ferguson is balking. That's probably more of an issue than the actually money per year.

A lot of Leaf fans seem to think Roberts will sign a one-year deal. It would be nice, but I don't see it happening. I bet he ends up signing for at least two years.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

if he'll only sign a multi year deal, id say pass

Old
07-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Just thinking out loud here .. but ..

I am curious if the O'Neill contract and addition will have a trickle down effect on the UFA for the Leafs.

If Fergy was a good salesman and thinking the best deals $$ wise would come from his former players that want to return or new ones that have shown interest in TO then ..

Fergy could offer Roberts, Newy, Mogilny, Lindros and Allison the matching $1.5 mil deals most 1 year only ..

Nolan's out going contract was for $5.6 mil and for $7.5 mil you could get 5 players, with a bit of a top up ..

Toss in Sundin, Tucker, O'Neill and Stajan as your top 9 forwards and you have a high risk .. high reward type line-up ..

Total cost of your top 9 forwards would be $ 18.25 mil ..

Make your 4th line Poni (500K) .. Ant($1 mil) ..Domi (500K) = $ 2mil

Total 12 forwards for about $20 mil of a $39 mil cap.

I wonder if this is something along the lines that Fergy is thinking ??

IF they could stay healthy, not many teams would be able to field that deep a team offensively .. IMO

Old
07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

I am curious if the O'Neill contract and addition will have a trickle down effect on the UFA for the Leafs.

If Fergy was a good salesman and thinking the best deals $$ wise would come from his former players that want to return or new ones that have shown interest in TO then ..

Fergy could offer Roberts, Newy, Mogilny, Lindros and Allison the matching $1.5 mil deals most 1 year only ..

Nolan's out going contract was for $5.6 mil and for $7.5 mil you could get 5 players, with a bit of a top up ..

Toss in Sundin, Tucker, O'Neill and Stajan as your top 9 forwards and you have a high risk .. high reward type line-up ..

IF they could stay healthy, not many teams would be able to field that deep a team offensively .. IMO
I was thinking of something along that line to here is what my new lineup would look like. Foote's salary may seem a bit low but my figure is based upon him wanting to come here, but even if he wanted more the Leafs could probably move him closer to 3 if they wanted

Forwards

Lindros(1.5) - Sundin(6.8) - Mogiliny(1.5)
Roberts(1.5) - Niewendyke(1.5) - O'Neill(1.5)
Tucker(1.6) - Stajan(.8) - Ponikarovsky(.7)
Kilger(.5) - Wellwood(.5) - Domi(.75)

Spares: Ling(.45), Wilm(.45), Belak(.45)

Defence

Foote(2.5) - Gonchar(3.0)
McCabe(3.5) - Kaberle(2.3)
Colaiacovo(.65) - Pilar(.45)

Spares: Belak(.45), Moro(.45

Goalies

Ed Belfour(4.5)
Tellqvist(.45)

Total Payroll: 38.4
Cap Room: 0.7

Old
07-31-2005, 04:18 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:

This is very plausible. Setting the salary structure of the forwards using O'Neill. Interesting.

Old
07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Derk

Send a message via MSN to Derk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Toronto Star reported today that Rich Curran, Roberts agent, is seeking somewhere aroun d $2,000,000 for Gary. I'd imagine we can nab him for $1,500,000 though-the same rate as his dear friend Jeff O'Neill.
2 million? No thanks. 1-1.5 million is what I'm thinking.

Old
07-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
This is very plausible. Setting the salary structure of the forwards using O'Neill. Interesting.
The just of the thinking is that you eliminate all the hard feelings and issues of 1 player making more then the rest .. We heard the divided chemistry and locker room over Reichel making too much compared to contribution before..

One common Salary .. One common Goal .. and eveyone is focused on the Cup run as a team ..

O'Neill becomes a good measuring stick in that he is younger, healthier and has just as much ability to record 30 goals as any of the 5 players I mentioned .. IMO

Old
07-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Derk

Send a message via MSN to Derk
Quote:
The just of the thinking is that you eliminate all the hard feelings and issues of 1 player making more then the rest .. We heard the divided chemistry and locker room over Reichel making too much compared to contribution before..

One common Salary .. One common Goal .. and eveyone is focused on the Cup run as a team ..

O'Neill becomes a good measuring stick in that he is younger, healthier and has just as much ability to record 30 goals as any of the 5 players I mentioned .. IMO
I guess we will see which players think a cup is more important and which think that money is more important. Lower salaries can lead to better FA signings.

Old
07-31-2005, 05:59 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:

With injury Antropov would be on our second line. (like he was last season)

Old
07-31-2005, 07:39 PM
desperateblue

I hope antropov is gone, he would be looking for 1-1.5 and frankly there are other players available in that price range that Id rather have.
Same thing applys to pony unless he would take the min or just a little more.
My hopefull lineup would look like this.

Roberts Sundin Oneil
Lindros Allison Murray
Steen Niewy wellwood
Domi Tucker Stajan

Spares: Ling Belak

Foote McCabe
Kaberle Rathje
Klee Coliacovo

Spares: White Harrison

Belfour
Telly or Rask

Old
07-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue
I hope antropov is gone, he would be looking for 1-1.5 and frankly there are other players available in that price range that Id rather have.
Same thing applys to pony unless he would take the min or just a little more.
My hopefull lineup would look like this.

Roberts Sundin Oneil
Lindros Allison Murray
Steen Niewy wellwood
Domi Tucker Stajan

Spares: Ling Belak

Foote McCabe
Kaberle Rathje
Klee Coliacovo

Spares: White Harrison

Belfour
Telly or Rask
yeah, I agree, let's get rid of that old injury proned Poni and get Lindros instead. Poni peaked two years ago.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:07 PM
pspot

actually i thought Poni had his best season last time they played
and i always thought Antropov held him back
no way Antropov is worth more then .75 in the new system if that
go get Noveseltsev for half the price for twice the speed and he would be a good combo with Poni

Old
07-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
yeah, I agree, let's get rid of that old injury proned Poni and get Lindros instead. Poni peaked two years ago.
Uhh.. Poni isn't injury prone.

You're thinking of Antropov.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

why cant we sign new younger players

why are they content with an old team that runs out of gas after 1 rd of the playoffs ?

oneill is a good start.

but come on , theres guys like demitra satan murray zhamnov holik stillman allison
surely we can get a few of these guys

dont blow it all on fossils like roberts nieuwendyk and mogilny
there wont be much left to spend

this is our chance
for the love of god jf, what are you doing...

Old
07-31-2005, 09:38 PM
bcrt2000

I think maybe Nieuwendyk might be a formality but roberts/domi are not as there is a little demand for them

Old
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
no13matssundin

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
why cant we sign new younger players

why are they content with an old team that runs out of gas after 1 rd of the playoffs ?

oneill is a good start.

but come on , theres guys like demitra satan murray zhamnov holik stillman allison
surely we can get a few of these guys

dont blow it all on fossils like roberts nieuwendyk and mogilny
there wont be much left to spend

this is our chance
for the love of god jf, what are you doing...
Fossils? Dude, those "fossils" you named have 5 stanley cup rings between them, Whereas everyone you named above have a grand total of zero. I'll take some of those fossils over the newbies when they come with Cup rings. Im certain JFJ will take the youngins into account, but dont be so quick to write off the older guys just b/c the media is screaming about the "age" of the team.... age-smage. I want a ring, and those three old fogies know how to get them. Do I want some good youth? Yes. But if I had my choice Ill take the guy whose won the cup over the one who wants one.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:56 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
Fossils? Dude, those "fossils" you named have 5 stanley cup rings between them, Whereas everyone you named above have a grand total of zero. I'll take some of those fossils over the newbies when they come with Cup rings. Im certain JFJ will take the youngins into account, but dont be so quick to write off the older guys just b/c the media is screaming about the "age" of the team.... age-smage. I want a ring, and those three old fogies know how to get them. Do I want some good youth? Yes. But if I had my choice Ill take the guy whose won the cup over the one who wants one.
I think Roberts can still contribute, not sure about Niewy, but Mogilny hasn't been the same player since he broke his leg with the sabres-- hes had major durability problems since then

Old
07-31-2005, 10:02 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

dont give me the rings crap

how many rings did tampa have before they won the cup ?

how many rings did the ny rangers have in their last season ?

i dont want fossils with rings,
i want guys who can skate without the risk of being in a wheelchair

Old
07-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
Stillman has a cup ring with Tampa, and I'm pretty sure Holik has one with New Jersey, althought I could be wrong with that.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

If we play it 1 year at a time and only offer them 1 year deals then we have set ourselves up pretty good for next UFA season when the market may really have some young cornerstone players available ..

This way we can monitor their health and progress or decline and make decisons each year going forward ..

As mentioned a lot of the UFA on the market now are going to want multi year deals ..In fact that is the reason the NHLPA did not drop the UFA age in year 1 to allow these players to find new homes first without flooding the market ... However locking yourself into long term deals today could really handicap yourself in the event of a marquee play comes calling next year ..

Gary and Joe and maybe even Mogs gives us the opportunity next season while keeping us competitive this year .. IMO

On another note though .. Colorado has not qualified tough guy Pete Worrell .. I wonder if it would be a good idea to let Domi, Belak and Perrott walk as UFA and replace them with heavy weight goon Worrell on the roster ??

Closed Thread